NATION

PASSWORD

Right to Life News: Statement on LCN Relations

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Kylia Quilor
Diplomat
 
Posts: 713
Founded: Jun 19, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kylia Quilor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Putting something in quotes doesn't make it not a thing.
Never underestimate the power of cynicism, pessimism and negativity to prevent terrible things from happening. Only idealists try to build the future on a mountain of bodies.
Queen Emeritus of Kantrias
Kylia Basilissa Regina Quilor Anacreoni

User avatar
RiderSyl
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5453
Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:58 pm

Oh good, more Lazarus. Just what we needed.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

User avatar
Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10082
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:10 am

Kylia Quilor wrote:Putting something in quotes doesn't make it not a thing.

They're called scare quotes or sneer quotes:

Quotation marks used to emphasize a word or phrase or to indicate its special status, especially to express doubt about its validity or to criticize its use. (American Heritage Dictionary, underline added)
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
McMasterdonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 956
Founded: Apr 19, 2012
Mother Knows Best State

Postby McMasterdonia » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:29 am

It's only been a few weeks so there is still time for this whole thing to be aborted and avoid disaster. Right to Life should be helping Funkadelia not judging his decisions or mistakes. If he is too young or if his Delegacy is as you suggest illegitimate, he must either abort it or give the Delegacy to a loving home who can give it a normal life.

User avatar
Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6545
Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:50 am

McMasterdonia wrote:It's only been a few weeks so there is still time for this whole thing to be aborted and avoid disaster. Right to Life should be helping Funkadelia not judging his decisions or mistakes. If he is too young or if his Delegacy is as you suggest illegitimate, he must either abort it or give the Delegacy to a loving home who can give it a normal life.



....

I see what you did there.





CD, to put my original comment more eloquently, what exactly is RTL going to do here? Send good vibes? Actually get it's endorsements involved?
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

User avatar
Kylia Quilor
Diplomat
 
Posts: 713
Founded: Jun 19, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kylia Quilor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Kylia Quilor wrote:Putting something in quotes doesn't make it not a thing.

They're called scare quotes or sneer quotes:

Quotation marks used to emphasize a word or phrase or to indicate its special status, especially to express doubt about its validity or to criticize its use. (American Heritage Dictionary, underline added)

Yes, let's patronize me instead of understanding the point I was making.

And you wonder why I don't like you, CD. :P
Never underestimate the power of cynicism, pessimism and negativity to prevent terrible things from happening. Only idealists try to build the future on a mountain of bodies.
Queen Emeritus of Kantrias
Kylia Basilissa Regina Quilor Anacreoni

User avatar
Phydios
Minister
 
Posts: 2350
Founded: Dec 06, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Phydios » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Kylia Quilor wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:They're called scare quotes or sneer quotes:

Quotation marks used to emphasize a word or phrase or to indicate its special status, especially to express doubt about its validity or to criticize its use. (American Heritage Dictionary, underline added)

Yes, let's patronize me instead of understanding the point I was making.

And you wonder why I don't like you, CD. :P

That's an explanation, not patronizing. CD understood your point quite well, I think, and underlined part of the given definition as an indirect explanation. By using quotes around the title of "King", the authors are expressing doubt about the title's validity or criticizing its application to Funk.
Romans 1:18-2:29, Ephesians 2:1-10
But God’s angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! | Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. | It’s a wonder God didn’t lose His temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, He embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on His own, with no help from us!

User avatar
Killer Kitty
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 408
Founded: Oct 08, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Killer Kitty » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Phydios wrote: By using quotes around the title of "King", the authors are expressing doubt about the title's validity or criticizing its application to Funk.


The title of "King" and "Queen" are historic to Lazarus and have been part of the region's history since at least 2004. I myself was elected King of Lazarus back in 2006, and Harm served her first term as Lazarus delegate after being elected as Queen right after my term.

Phydios, you seem to be very fixated on this term for some reason, when it's meaning isn't anything close to a traditional monarchy at all when applied to Lazarus.

User avatar
Kanglia
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 456
Founded: Nov 19, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kanglia » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:03 pm

McMasterdonia wrote:It's only been a few weeks so there is still time for this whole thing to be aborted and avoid disaster. Right to Life should be helping Funkadelia not judging his decisions or mistakes. If he is too young or if his Delegacy is as you suggest illegitimate, he must either abort it or give the Delegacy to a loving home who can give it a normal life.


... Clever
guess who's back, back again. Kang is back, tell a friend discord is #EdgeCraft#5167
Legislator of the South Pacific. A Warden in The Order of the Grey Wardens & a somewhat important person in The Union of Democratic States
All views are my own

User avatar
Phydios
Minister
 
Posts: 2350
Founded: Dec 06, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Phydios » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:29 pm

Killer Kitty wrote:
Phydios wrote: By using quotes around the title of "King", the authors are expressing doubt about the title's validity or criticizing its application to Funk.


The title of "King" and "Queen" are historic to Lazarus and have been part of the region's history since at least 2004. I myself was elected King of Lazarus back in 2006, and Harm served her first term as Lazarus delegate after being elected as Queen right after my term.

Phydios, you seem to be very fixated on this term for some reason, when it's meaning isn't anything close to a traditional monarchy at all when applied to Lazarus.

Don't come to me with criticisms of the wording. I did not contribute to this article in any way. I'm just explaining it as best I know how.
Romans 1:18-2:29, Ephesians 2:1-10
But God’s angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! | Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. | It’s a wonder God didn’t lose His temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, He embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on His own, with no help from us!

User avatar
Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10082
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:44 am

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:CD, to put my original comment more eloquently, what exactly is RTL going to do here? Send good vibes? Actually get it's endorsements involved?

According to the statement: "Funkadelia was legitimately elected to be the delegate of Lazarus and continues to serve in that position." The statement does not recognize the resistance government, and it does not call on Funkadelia to step down. The position of the Right to Life government, at this time, is rather simple: Funkadelia is the legitimate delegate, but he's acting illegally, so he should "reverse course."
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6545
Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:21 am

Christian Democrats wrote:
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:CD, to put my original comment more eloquently, what exactly is RTL going to do here? Send good vibes? Actually get it's endorsements involved?

According to the statement: "Funkadelia was legitimately elected to be the delegate of Lazarus and continues to serve in that position." The statement does not recognize the resistance government, and it does not call on Funkadelia to step down. The position of the Right to Life government, at this time, is rather simple: Funkadelia is the legitimate delegate, but he's acting illegally, so he should "reverse course."


Send *bad* vibes, got it.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

User avatar
United Massachusetts
Minister
 
Posts: 2574
Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:23 am

Killer Kitty wrote:
Phydios wrote: By using quotes around the title of "King", the authors are expressing doubt about the title's validity or criticizing its application to Funk.


The title of "King" and "Queen" are historic to Lazarus and have been part of the region's history since at least 2004. I myself was elected King of Lazarus back in 2006, and Harm served her first term as Lazarus delegate after being elected as Queen right after my term.

Phydios, you seem to be very fixated on this term for some reason, when it's meaning isn't anything close to a traditional monarchy at all when applied to Lazarus.

You know, I wrote the original draft to this (before Christian Democrats edited it), so I feel kind of obligated to defend my usage of the term. The Celestial Mandate, which we still recognize as the legitimate Constitution of Lazarus, as opposed to your hammering through of an anti-democratic monarchy, does not have a monarchy. As such, we reject the monarchy as illegitimate.

User avatar
Solorni
Minister
 
Posts: 3024
Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:26 am

Does the Lazarene resistance welcome the support from the far/alternative right wing Right to Life?
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

User avatar
United Massachusetts
Minister
 
Posts: 2574
Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:33 am

Solorni wrote:Does the Lazarene resistance welcome the support from the far/alternative right wing Right to Life?

The "far right", yeah--where we have a whole political party of liberals, the second largest in our region. Where the Director of News and the Justice of the Peace are open left-wingers. Where a member of our region participated in AntiFa and our army helped fight against Nazi Europe. Where discrimination is banned on account of race, sex, gender, politics, age, and religion. Where an open atheist and Bernie Sanders volunteer can be elected to the Senate.

Seriously, stop it. These accusations are getting old.

User avatar
Solorni
Minister
 
Posts: 3024
Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:54 am

Not sure if token liberals outweigh official embassies with Nazi regions. So, in the immortal words of James Riley "when I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck".

My question was if the resistance welcomed support from regions like yours.
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

User avatar
Aclion
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6247
Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:59 am

Solorni wrote:Not sure if token liberals outweigh official embassies with Nazi regions. So, in the immortal words of James Riley "when I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck".

My question was if the resistance welcomed support from regions like yours.

Read the statement very carefully. Nowhere does it express RtL intention to support the resistance. It is purely a condemnation of Funk's government.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

User avatar
United Massachusetts
Minister
 
Posts: 2574
Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:07 am

Solorni wrote:Not sure if token liberals outweigh official embassies with Nazi regions. So, in the immortal words of James Riley "when I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck".

My question was if the resistance welcomed support from regions like yours.

Name me a Nazi region that we have embassies with, considering that we have a law banning the formation of Nazi parties in our region.

User avatar
Guy
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1779
Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Guy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:11 am

Alternative topic title: "Is KAISERREICH a Nazi region, round 423"
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

User avatar
Ikania
Minister
 
Posts: 3472
Founded: Jun 28, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ikania » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:15 am

Solorni wrote:Does the Lazarene resistance welcome the support from the far/alternative right wing Right to Life?

What we certainly do is reject the ridiculous conclusion that an active anti-abortion region is part of the far right wing and some kind of beacon of alt-right extremism.

We appreciate this statement, is the least I can say.
Nesapo.
Costa Fierro wrote:hope you get hit by a bus you cancerous piece of shit
Kamchastkia wrote:Piece of fucking shit
Kill yourself
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:You're historically illiterate and a piece of shit human
I am promising you that if I ever get ahold of you, I will cripple or kill you.
New World Oceania wrote:I wish you weren't such a straight up goddamn fucking idiot
go fuck yourself
94 Block wrote:But you can go fuck yourself, ungrateful cunt.
Cameron Romefeller wrote:you knuckle dragging fuckstick from a backwater gcr
Canton Empire wrote:You are a scumbag who deserves a special spot in hell for what you do
Big Bad Badger wrote:Ike, the petulant child act is getting old.

User avatar
Solorni
Minister
 
Posts: 3024
Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:17 am

In any case, why is a region dedicated to getting rid of women's rights getting involved in Lazarus? Most political regions are staying out of it beyond defender and raider ones.
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

User avatar
United Massachusetts
Minister
 
Posts: 2574
Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:21 am

Solorni wrote:In any case, why is a region dedicated to getting rid of women's rights getting involved in Lazarus? Most political regions are staying out of it beyond defender and raider ones.

Have you not read the dispatch?

User avatar
Solorni
Minister
 
Posts: 3024
Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:30 am

Yes, but still. Don't you guys worry that your condemnation does more harm than good?
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

User avatar
Cresenthia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 576
Founded: Mar 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cresenthia » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:32 am

Ikania wrote:
Solorni wrote:Does the Lazarene resistance welcome the support from the far/alternative right wing Right to Life?

What we certainly do is reject the ridiculous conclusion that an active anti-abortion region is part of the far right wing and some kind of beacon of alt-right extremism.

We appreciate this statement, is the least I can say.

This seems to be one of the few sane things being said in the whole Lazarus fiasco.

User avatar
United Massachusetts
Minister
 
Posts: 2574
Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:34 am

Solorni wrote:Yes, but still. Don't you guys worry that your condemnation does more harm than good?

You're the only one who appears to be unjustifiably angry about our involvement in gameplay. It seems you just want RTL to, I don't know, cease-to-exist?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Porde

Advertisement

Remove ads