NATION

PASSWORD

The Embassy of Albion

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Onderkelkia wrote:The idea you can say anything and simply pass it off as a joke is a stupid one.

"It's just a prank bro"

Ugh.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

The NAtion OF Froggy
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The NAtion OF Froggy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:
Onderkelkia wrote:The idea you can say anything and simply pass it off as a joke is a stupid one.

"It's just a prank bro"

Ugh.

yes, how dare they do that!
Former Kingpin of Toads Mafia.
Former Provincial Governor of The Pacific.
Deputy Outreach Officer of The Rejected Realms

I ain't saying I'm the best but I should be in the top ten, give me a list of names, I'm-ma top them
I'm just playing with ya, I don't care where the top is
Leave me at the bottom, let me work for it, you ain't never gonna find another rapper in the game
And tell me that he works more, tell me that he works more, nah!

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Onderkelkia wrote:
Tim-Opolis wrote:Also, the fact that this all started over Consular joking that we should defend TNI is absolutely hilarious. That's some next-level straw-clutching as a reason to cut relations.

It doesn't surprise me that the Grey Wardens have no respect or appreciation for TNI's regional sovereignty.

Supporting military operations against TNI is unacceptable for a high-ranking official of an ally. Calling for those operations to be conducted by the Defender enemies that TNI spent nearly a decade opposing is also unacceptable. Regardless of the intention, it is quite possible, given the overall lack of gameplay experience in The Exalted Lands, that it could have prompted them into exploring Defender cooperation against TNI. However, Cassius continued to call for military intervention against TNI in a subsequent post, suggesting that his comment was more than a "joke". If it was indeed intended as a "joke", then it was an inappropriate and grossly offensive "joke". Genuine allies don't go around publicly "joking" about supporting enemy invasions of each other.

It doesn't surprise me that you seem to lack the ability to take an off-hand joke.

Joking about military operations against other folks is something people do all the time, to treatied allies and not. Calling for those defensive operations to be conducted by the people that defend is a natural part of that joke. However, continuing the joke with a second off-hand retort makes it even more amusing because it's very clear that he's taking the piss at this point. Given that it was indeed a joke, I think it's a fair conclusion that you seem to have an inability to take a joke, or have somehow missed out on the last 10+ years of coup jokes. Genuine allies are good enough friends with each other that they're able to aptly tell when someone is making a joke. However, if you still think that people were seriously replying to that SC thread rather than taking the piss, I can refer you to some good historical Security Council source material that reinforces the time-honored tradition of not taking silly proposals very seriously. I'd have thought you'd have already known that, but I guess LKE doesn't get the latest cultural trends in its corner of NS.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Onderkelkia
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 13, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Onderkelkia » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:33 pm

Tim-Opolis wrote:Joking about military operations against other folks is something people do all the time, to treatied allies and not. Calling for those defensive operations to be conducted by the people that defend is a natural part of that joke.
Tim-Opolis wrote:Genuine allies are good enough friends with each other that they're able to aptly tell when someone is making a joke.

That may be humour in the circles frequented by the Grey Wardens. The regions I am in have always had higher expectations about threatening allies.

Cassius Cerebella is a member of the Grey Wardens who has consistently criticised the Imperialist sphere. If it has reached the point where his so-called "jokes" are not understood, then I would suggest that is more to do with his long-term pattern of behaviour than any unreasonableness on our part.

Tim-Opolis wrote:However, continuing the joke with a second off-hand retort makes it even more amusing because it's very clear that he's taking the piss at this point.

This is the so-called "second off-hand retort":
Consular wrote:You can't do much about the Founder, but you could try remove them from the Delegate position!

Suggesting that they try and change the Delegate is a serious suggestion that could have been pursued by The Exalted Lands.

Furthermore, he posted that after he learnt that TNI had complained. A condition of joking among friends is generally an assumption of consent.

Tim-Opolis wrote:However, if you still think that people were seriously replying to that SC thread rather than taking the piss, I can refer you to some good historical Security Council source material that reinforces the time-honored tradition of not taking silly proposals very seriously. I'd have thought you'd have already known that, but I guess LKE doesn't get the latest cultural trends in its corner of NS.

If that is your reading of the relevant thread - that the only people posting were "taking the piss" - then it is simply and demonstrably wrong.

Take a look at the first posts by The North Polish Union, Willania Imperium, Kylia Quilor and Klaus Devestatorie - all the first posts by those other than Consular who responded directly to the proposal. Their response to the proposal is critical, but they are not joking. Their posts are serious in nature.
Emperor Emeritus of The Land of Kings and Emperors
King Emeritus of Norwood, etc.

Duke of Roskilde, of Balder

Archduke of Niso, of the LKE
Archduke, of The New Inquisition
Viscount, of Great Britain and Ireland
Honoured Citizen of Europeia
Emperor of the LKE
LKE Prime Minister
LKE Chief of the Imperial General Staff

Crown Prince of TNI
Commander of TNI Armed Forces
Director General of TNI Intelligence

Vice Delegate and Crown Prince of Balder
Prince of Jomsborg
Balder Statsminister
Balder Chief of Defence

GB&I Home Secretary
GB&I First Sea Lord

Chief Justice of Europeia

Member, Imperial Military Council, UIAF
Supreme Allied Commander, SRATO

WA Delegate of The Rejected Realms

Kylia Quilor
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kylia Quilor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:

"It's just a prank bro"

Ugh.

Wow. Onder really is into this. I don't recall him using the word stupid that often.

He's not wrong in the broad stroke - people saying 'it was just a joke' after various offensive things is a pretty shitty defense.

Irrespective of anything else, Consular, you joke wasn't even funny. I've heard dead baby jokes funnier.
Unfocused populism is just as dangerous, if not more so, to an elected government's wellbeing as creeping authoritarianism.
Queen Emeritus of Kantrias
Kylia Basilissa Regina Quilor Anacreoni

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:59 pm

"Your sense of humor sucks"

"No, you"

If this has become the focal point of the discussion, is it even one worth continuing?
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Tananat
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tananat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Benevolent Thomas wrote:"Your sense of humor sucks"

"No, you"

If this has become the focal point of the discussion, is it even one worth continuing?

It seems as good an excuse as any other to manufacture some controversy out of?

Canton Empire
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Tananat wrote:
Benevolent Thomas wrote:"Your sense of humor sucks"

"No, you"

It seems as good an excuse as any other to manufacture some controversy out of?

As if we don't have enough controversy already.
President of the Republic of Saint Osmund
Offically Called a Silly boy by the real Donald Johnson

Sundred
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundred » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:41 pm

So let me get this straight, some defunct imperialist region that has not been very relevant for oh say that past 3 years has decided to try and rise from the ashes by causing controversy with a region that has decided to dedicate itself to being a roleplaying community rather than a NSGP community. In response to every "serious" question, members of the community respond with "jokes" and "humor" and people are getting upset about it? Here is an idea, don't engage, go back to your own community and attempt to make it something.

Kylia Quilor
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kylia Quilor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 pm

Sundred wrote:So let me get this straight, some defunct imperialist region that has not been very relevant for oh say that past 3 years has decided to try and rise from the ashes by causing controversy with a region that has decided to dedicate itself to being a roleplaying community rather than a NSGP community. In response to every "serious" question, members of the community respond with "jokes" and "humor" and people are getting upset about it? Here is an idea, don't engage, go back to your own community and attempt to make it something.

Not exactly.
Unfocused populism is just as dangerous, if not more so, to an elected government's wellbeing as creeping authoritarianism.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:16 pm

I for one look forward to a collaboration between Benevolent Thomas and Atagait Denral.
See You Space Cowboy...

Sundred
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundred » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:26 pm

Kylia Quilor wrote:
Sundred wrote:So let me get this straight, some defunct imperialist region that has not been very relevant for oh say that past 3 years has decided to try and rise from the ashes by causing controversy with a region that has decided to dedicate itself to being a roleplaying community rather than a NSGP community. In response to every "serious" question, members of the community respond with "jokes" and "humor" and people are getting upset about it? Here is an idea, don't engage, go back to your own community and attempt to make it something.

Not exactly.

Its a better plan than what is going on right now.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:22 pm

Onderkelkia wrote:Suggesting that they try and change the Delegate is a serious suggestion that could have been pursued by The Exalted Lands.

TNI's Delegacy is non-executive and it has been for as long as I've been around. You, of course, are entirely aware of this, having served in that post until just under 2 days ago. Any schmuck could be WAD and it'd make no difference.
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Kylia Quilor
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kylia Quilor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:34 pm

Sundred wrote:
Kylia Quilor wrote:Not exactly.

Its a better plan than what is going on right now.

No, I mean 'not exactly' as in your summary is wrong.

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:43 pm

Drasnia wrote:I for one look forward to a collaboration between Benevolent Thomas and Atagait Denral.

Atagait is Aurum, right? If so, we've already collaborated a few times.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:55 pm

Benevolent Thomas wrote:
Drasnia wrote:I for one look forward to a collaboration between Benevolent Thomas and Atagait Denral.

Atagait is Aurum, right? If so, we've already collaborated a few times.

Yeah, I know, but I want you to get him out of retirement so he can shitpost some more :P
See You Space Cowboy...

Onderkelkia
Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Onderkelkia » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:29 pm

The North Polish Union wrote:
Onderkelkia wrote:Suggesting that they try and change the Delegate is a serious suggestion that could have been pursued by The Exalted Lands.

TNI's Delegacy is non-executive and it has been for as long as I've been around. You, of course, are entirely aware of this, having served in that post until just under 2 days ago. Any schmuck could be WAD and it'd make no difference.

Despite the best efforts of the players who now make up The Exalted Lands, the Delegacy of TNI has indeed been kept as non-Executive. Until recently, it had all Regional Officer powers other than Border Control, so some temporary damage could still have been done, but we saw to it that was rectified.

Yet I don't see how this affects my argument.

Encouraging The Exalted Lands to invade TNI doesn't become acceptable because the Delegacy is non-Executive. Such an invasion would still constitute an infringement of TNI sovereignty. Any external force changing the WA Delegacy of a region constitutes a military operation under the Albion-TNI Treaty.

Such an operation would be futile, but its pointlessness doesn't make it acceptable for Albion to indirectly support it.

Emperor of the LKE
LKE Prime Minister

Crown Prince of TNI

Prince of Jomsborg
Balder Statsminister
Balder Chief of Defence

GB&I Home Secretary
GB&I First Sea Lord

Sundred
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundred » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:40 pm

So touchy...

Onderkelkia
Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Onderkelkia » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:53 pm

Alabaster Isles wrote:And finally…. Last nights spectacle.

Albion had absolutely nothing to do with what occurred last night, and we would appreciate it if you could cease with the assumptions you seem so quick to fling our way.
Tancerlo wrote:Christopher must have given the nation to someone else.

Isn't that mysterious?

Despite these protestations of innocence, I can report that the "mystery" has been solved, if you care to inspect the spoiler below:

The Lord Commander of Albion handed the nation over to the Prince of Albion, who then collaborated with the Grey Wardens on how to use it.

This hardly fits with Olivia's claim that "Albion had absolutely nothing to do with what occurred last night".

I suppose you at least had the courtesy to ask the Grey Wardens whether you could use their name, unlike Kingdom of Alexandria or Slavia.

Emperor of the LKE
LKE Prime Minister

Crown Prince of TNI

Prince of Jomsborg
Balder Statsminister
Balder Chief of Defence

GB&I Home Secretary
GB&I First Sea Lord

Sundred
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundred » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:57 pm

The way that I take these messages, especially without full context provided, is as a joke. Like this entire "issue" that has been blown way out of proportion. I for one remain unconvinced by your argument that this is more serious than a joke and is actually offensive.

Onderkelkia
Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Onderkelkia » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Sundred wrote:The way that I take these messages, especially without full context provided, is as a joke. Like this entire "issue" that has been blown way out of proportion. I for one remain unconvinced by your argument that this is more serious than a joke and is actually offensive.

If this was all just a "joke" and no one could reasonably care about it, then why did Albion issue an official denial?

It is most definitely wrong for Albion to misuse a nation, entrusted to their Lord Commander when he was Joint Commander of the UIAF, as a way of antagonising the other former members of the UIAF, and invoking the names of two other regions in performing this action without obtaining their consent.

That is why Albion has been producing excuse after excuse to deny it.

Emperor of the LKE
LKE Prime Minister

Crown Prince of TNI

Prince of Jomsborg
Balder Statsminister
Balder Chief of Defence

GB&I Home Secretary
GB&I First Sea Lord

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 pm

Onderkelkia wrote:
Sundred wrote:The way that I take these messages, especially without full context provided, is as a joke. Like this entire "issue" that has been blown way out of proportion. I for one remain unconvinced by your argument that this is more serious than a joke and is actually offensive.

If this was all just a "joke" and no one could reasonably care about it, then why did Albion issue an official denial?

Probably because you didn't take it as a joke and without consulting any of the regions' governments (Albion and Alexandria) began exerting your influence to have multiple regions cancel embassies? :roll:
Last edited by Drasnia on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See You Space Cowboy...

Sundred
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

The Embassy of Albion

Postby Sundred » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:09 pm

What influence?

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:13 pm

Sundred wrote:What influence?

This is called a joke. It's meant to be funny and not supposed to cause a diplomatic crisis.
See You Space Cowboy...

Sundred
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundred » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:17 pm

Drasnia wrote:
Sundred wrote:What influence?

This is called a joke. It's meant to be funny and not supposed to cause a diplomatic crisis.

And a good one at that. Now I think we have hijacked Albion's embassy enough and should return it to them for what its intended for. :) Thank you all for taking part in this social experiment, the results of which are complex and long and will likely never be published.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay