NATION

PASSWORD

The Rejected Times: Issue XLVI

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
RiderSyl
Senator
 
Posts: 4320
Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby RiderSyl » Mon May 29, 2017 5:12 am

Consular wrote:Did you guys really just allow this thread to descend into a childish argument with him about nothing..


If we did, then that would make your post "commentary on an argument about nothing", which would contribute even less. :hug:
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

User avatar
Warwick Z Codger
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 42
Founded: Jan 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Warwick Z Codger » Mon May 29, 2017 5:40 am

What are those secret discord channels. I wanna lurk and talk about cool things.

Gameplay is dead cause you lot only care about conflict play. I can't drag the entire GP community to care about something else time and time again.

User avatar
The Church of Satan
Diplomat
 
Posts: 792
Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby The Church of Satan » Mon May 29, 2017 6:37 am

Well Codger, the thing about that is the fact that conflict drives GP. And there lies the problem. There's no real conflict right now. Oh sure raiders are raiding, defenders are defending and everything in between is doing one or both but that's it. Everyone's just kinda going through the motions. To quote Fight Club, "We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression."
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever

User avatar
Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1370
Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Mon May 29, 2017 10:47 am

Vuori Kunin-Grrs wrote:In NationStates, the activity Gameside, such as invasions, occupations, coups, conspiracies, and so on, is clearly shown. This activity has clearly been shown to be decreasing in frequency and intensity.

Nobody thought to point out that La Navasse only views chaos to be indications of activity? Maybe the lack of "invasions, occupations, coups, conspiracies, and so on" could be attributed to greater activity by a growing defender presence and greater activity within the GCRs to stifle these plots?

I'm not going to say that GP is as exciting as it was at its peak, but its not like we've seen better days anytime in the past half-decade. Looking back at anything post 2011 with rose-tinted glasses means that you weren't there to experience it. The past few years have had their moments and soon enough people will lump them all in the same time-frame and claim that they were great times.
The Battle of Fort Triumph

Co-Founder of Fort Triumph
Founder of The Order of the Grey Wardens

Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

User avatar
Vuori Kunin-Grrs
Envoy
 
Posts: 212
Founded: Jan 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vuori Kunin-Grrs » Mon May 29, 2017 10:59 am

Benevolent Thomas wrote:
Vuori Kunin-Grrs wrote:In NationStates, the activity Gameside, such as invasions, occupations, coups, conspiracies, and so on, is clearly shown. This activity has clearly been shown to be decreasing in frequency and intensity.

Nobody thought to point out that La Navasse only views chaos to be indications of activity? Maybe the lack of "invasions, occupations, coups, conspiracies, and so on" could be attributed to greater activity by a growing defender presence and greater activity within the GCRs to stifle these plots?

I'm not going to say that GP is as exciting as it was at its peak, but its not like we've seen better days anytime in the past half-decade. Looking back at anything post 2011 with rose-tinted glasses means that you weren't there to experience it. The past few years have had their moments and soon enough people will lump them all in the same time-frame and claim that they were great times.

The Church of Satan wrote:Well Codger, the thing about that is the fact that conflict drives GP. And there lies the problem. There's no real conflict right now. Oh sure raiders are raiding, defenders are defending and everything in between is doing one or both but that's it. Everyone's just kinda going through the motions. To quote Fight Club, "We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression."

^This is kind of what I mean. NS is going through the motions of R/D and the like, but there isn't a backdrop of a major conflict, or cold war, and such.

User avatar
Drop Your Pants
Minister
 
Posts: 3276
Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Drop Your Pants » Mon May 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Vuori Kunin-Grrs wrote:NS is going through the motions of R/D and the like, but there isn't a backdrop of a major conflict, or cold war, and such.

Then do something about it Oh Great and Experienced One and stop whining about how quiet it is. I note the only people moaning about how quiet it is are the players who don't do updates, R/D is a good laugh these days. Get off your asses.
Make Malloderation Great Again

User avatar
Zaolat
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1394
Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Zaolat » Mon May 29, 2017 5:10 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:
Vuori Kunin-Grrs wrote:NS is going through the motions of R/D and the like, but there isn't a backdrop of a major conflict, or cold war, and such.

Then do something about it Oh Great and Experienced One and stop whining about how quiet it is. I note the only people moaning about how quiet it is are the players who don't do updates, R/D is a good laugh these days. Get off your asses.


R/D doesn't have the only claim to Gameplay. Try again.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

User avatar
Drop Your Pants
Minister
 
Posts: 3276
Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Drop Your Pants » Mon May 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Zaolat wrote:R/D doesn't have the only claim to Gameplay. Try again.

You are correct. Snark, regional adspam and toxicity are the rest. But I never claimed R/D was the only claim, i was replying to La Navasse post of "backdrop of a major conflict, or cold war, and such." which is more R/D related than most other GP pastimes.

Your turn to try again. Preferably with more than a snappy one liner :p
Make Malloderation Great Again

User avatar
AlonI
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 20
Founded: Feb 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby AlonI » Mon May 29, 2017 6:03 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:
Zaolat wrote:R/D doesn't have the only claim to Gameplay. Try again.

You are correct. Snark, regional adspam and toxicity are the rest. But I never claimed R/D was the only claim, i was replying to La Navasse post of "backdrop of a major conflict, or cold war, and such." which is more R/D related than most other GP pastimes.

Your turn to try again. Preferably with more than a snappy one liner :p

There's also the Communist-Fascist conflict - not R/D, though it involves it.

User avatar
Drop Your Pants
Minister
 
Posts: 3276
Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Drop Your Pants » Mon May 29, 2017 6:29 pm

AlOni wrote:There's also the Communist-Fascist conflict - not R/D, though it involves it.

You're like a broken record sometimes. You want drama? You want 'excitement'? Then do something. Go out in the big bad NS world and do something exciting.

Now i'm going to apologise to TRR for completely jacking their newspaper thread with mindless chatter.

Edit: And for love of Mall, pick a nation to post with and stick with it. Damn confusing seeing all your puppets.
Last edited by Drop Your Pants on Mon May 29, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Malloderation Great Again

User avatar
Canton Empire
Senator
 
Posts: 4543
Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Mon May 29, 2017 6:55 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:
AlOni wrote:There's also the Communist-Fascist conflict - not R/D, though it involves it.

You're like a broken record sometimes. You want drama? You want 'excitement'? Then do something. Go out in the big bad NS world and do something exciting.

Now i'm going to apologise to TRR for completely jacking their newspaper thread with mindless chatter.

Edit: And for love of Mall, pick a nation to post with and stick with it. Damn confusing seeing all your puppets.

DYP where is your coup?
Former Vice Delegate of Lazarus, Guardian of Lazarus, Former Chief Justice of Lazarus, former Lazarene Ambassador to the East Pacific, founder, Republic of Channel Island
Offically Called a Silly boy by the real Donald Johnson

User avatar
Unibot III
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5428
Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Unibot III » Mon May 29, 2017 7:00 pm

Ridersyl wrote:I wish that Gameplay was boring. I wish that Gameplay was going through a lull in activity. That it was in a recession. That the kind of bullshit that is going on wasn't and you were all right. Sadly, you're not.

The rise of Discord, and the fall of the Gameplay forum, is all this is. Almost all the drama takes place there now.

The reason as to why players with reputations like Unibot and La Navasse aren't in these invite-only communities are anyone's guess.


Ignoring the cheap shot: I never felt as active in IRC chats back in the day as others, even private ones, except to communicate via direct messages. Sure, you could always reach me via IRC but I didn't feel I was a main participant of IRC channels. At least, I think you'd be surprised how little I communicated socially given I was running a major organization at time and running the chair of a GCR.

I was not the most chatty member - and IRC and I didn't mix well.

The vast majority of what I've done on NS was on-site or on regional forums. To me, that's "NationStates." And I don't see near the level activity on-site or on regional forums in the gameplay world. If activity is contained to "invite only" Discord chats, I really question whether that's even activity. It's just chattiness. It's not actually people accomplishing something on NationStates.
[violet] wrote:I mean this in the best possible way,
but Unibot is not a typical NS player.
Milograd wrote:You're a caring, resolute lunatic
with the best of intentions.
Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008 | Former Delegate of The Rejected Realms | Gameplay Alignment: -18 / -13
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL? // The Transpacific Trade
Paradise Found // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78 // The Polysemes of Nativeness;

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

User avatar
Canton Empire
Senator
 
Posts: 4543
Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Mon May 29, 2017 7:03 pm

Unibot III wrote:
Ridersyl wrote:I wish that Gameplay was boring. I wish that Gameplay was going through a lull in activity. That it was in a recession. That the kind of bullshit that is going on wasn't and you were all right. Sadly, you're not.

The rise of Discord, and the fall of the Gameplay forum, is all this is. Almost all the drama takes place there now.

The reason as to why players with reputations like Unibot and La Navasse aren't in these invite-only communities are anyone's guess.


Ignoring the cheap shot: I never felt as active in IRC chats back in the day as others, even private ones, except to communicate via direct messages. Sure, you could always reach me via IRC but I didn't feel I was a main participant of IRC channels. At least, I think you'd be surprised how little I communicated socially given I was running a major organization at time and running the chair of a GCR.

I was not the most chatty member - and IRC and I didn't mix well.

The vast majority of what I've done on NS was on-site or on regional forums. To me, that's "NationStates." And I don't see near the level activity on-site or on regional forums in the gameplay world. If activity is contained to "invite only" Discord chats, I really question whether that's even activity. It's just chattiness. It's not actually people accomplishing something on NationStates.

I like you Unibot.
Former Vice Delegate of Lazarus, Guardian of Lazarus, Former Chief Justice of Lazarus, former Lazarene Ambassador to the East Pacific, founder, Republic of Channel Island
Offically Called a Silly boy by the real Donald Johnson

User avatar
The Church of Satan
Diplomat
 
Posts: 792
Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby The Church of Satan » Mon May 29, 2017 7:33 pm

I wouldn't call the whole discussion thread-jacking. It's somewhat related to the latest issue which is fine with me. Although surely the cheap shots will end with flamebaiting so I'd rather that be avoided.
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever

User avatar
Drop Your Pants
Minister
 
Posts: 3276
Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Drop Your Pants » Mon May 29, 2017 7:46 pm

Unibot III wrote:Ignoring the cheap shot: I never felt as active in IRC chats back in the day as others, even private ones, except to communicate via direct messages. Sure, you could always reach me via IRC but I didn't feel I was a main participant of IRC channels. At least, I think you'd be surprised how little I communicated socially given I was running a major organization at time and running the chair of a GCR.

The FRA flag drama was primarily IRC, and you were very very vocal in the UDL channel about it :P
Make Malloderation Great Again

User avatar
Unibot III
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5428
Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Unibot III » Mon May 29, 2017 7:50 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:
Unibot III wrote:Ignoring the cheap shot: I never felt as active in IRC chats back in the day as others, even private ones, except to communicate via direct messages. Sure, you could always reach me via IRC but I didn't feel I was a main participant of IRC channels. At least, I think you'd be surprised how little I communicated socially given I was running a major organization at time and running the chair of a GCR.

The FRA flag drama was primarily IRC, and you were very very vocal in the UDL channel about it :P


As I said, IRC and I did not mix. :P
[violet] wrote:I mean this in the best possible way,
but Unibot is not a typical NS player.
Milograd wrote:You're a caring, resolute lunatic
with the best of intentions.
Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008 | Former Delegate of The Rejected Realms | Gameplay Alignment: -18 / -13
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL? // The Transpacific Trade
Paradise Found // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78 // The Polysemes of Nativeness;

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

User avatar
Guy
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1733
Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Guy » Tue May 30, 2017 6:26 am

There is nothing exceptional about Gameplay or Gameplay activity one way or the other at the moment.
Last edited by Guy on Tue May 30, 2017 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

User avatar
Ryno
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 9
Founded: Apr 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryno » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:08 pm

For those of you who don't know I have been elected Media Officer in TRR.

We are planning on getting another issue out as soon as possible, but it would be nice if we had more people helping. So for those of you who may be interested in contributing to The Rejected Times, now is the time to join up.

http://s8.zetaboards.com/The_RR_and_RRA/topic/10005638/1/

User avatar
The Rejected Realms Media Corporation
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 165
Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

The Rejected Times | We Have Twitter Now

Postby The Rejected Realms Media Corporation » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:56 pm

The Rejected Times is expanding its operation under new management, and that goes beyond the normal Nation States platforms. We have a Twitter account now, and you can find that here. Give us a follow for all of your news needs, in 140 characters or less.

User avatar
Flower Boy
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Jul 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Flower Boy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 pm

The Rejected Realms Media Corporation wrote:The Rejected Times is expanding its operation under new management, and that goes beyond the normal Nation States platforms. We have a Twitter account now, and you can find that here. Give us a follow for all of your news needs, in 140 characters or less.

It's true! The Rejected Times is on its way to becoming the biggest and best news outlet in NationStates.

Coming on September 1st, The Rejected Times - Lazarus Edition will be released. Comprehensive interviews, editorials, and evidence based analysis of the situation will be prominently featured in the issue.

User avatar
The Stalker
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1044
Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Stalker » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:14 pm

lol you guys have a twitter? That's hilarious, maybe brilliant, i'm curious how that plays out.

Looking forward to TRT's revival.
The Mad King of Hell
I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"
Hell's Bells: Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.
This isn't Wall Street, this is Hell. We have a little something called integrity.

User avatar
Consular
Minister
 
Posts: 2935
Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Consular » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:11 am

Maybe you should focus on the basics at first, like actually releasing an issue? :p

User avatar
Another Trump Nation
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 12
Founded: Dec 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Another Trump Nation » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:54 am

Twitter is the best platform!

User avatar
Zaolat
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1394
Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Zaolat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Consular wrote:Maybe you should focus on the basics at first, like actually releasing an issue? :p

They are.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

User avatar
The Rejected Realms Media Corporation
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 165
Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

The Rejected Times: End of November Special Release

Postby The Rejected Realms Media Corporation » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:51 pm

Epilepsy Awareness Month
by The Church of Satan


November is known by many as Epilepsy Awareness Month. This however is out of necessity. While there are specialists and several neurologists that study the condition much is still not known about it. Currently a cure does not exist and as a result it is a chronic illness.

What is epilepsy anyways? This is an important question because the overwhelming bulk of people really don't know what's true and what's rumor so people primarily defer to rumors as truth. This causes people to avoid helping those they might witness having a seizure. Most people believe epilepsy to be contagious. This of course is a rumor disproven by scientific research.

Epilepsy is a neurological disorder caused by the brain’s misfiring of neurons that cause epileptic seizures. Seizures are characterized by shaking, loss of consciousness and among other things memory loss. The disturbing truth is that it is a very common condition. One in twenty-six people worldwide will develop epilepsy in their lifetime. There are about twelve different types of epilepsy and over forty types of seizures. What kind of epilepsy one has is a significant factor in determining what kind of seizures one might experience. The two primary types of seizures are focal seizures and generalized seizures.

Approximately 60% of people with epilepsy experience focal seizures. These are called partial seizures which are generally characterized by blackouts during which time one might continue moving or talking. When consciousness resumes the person in question will be unaware of their actions. Generalized seizures however are the more widely known variety. These are characterized by blackouts, shaking, intense muscle spasms and foaming at the mouth. They are very violent in nature. This is where the stigma is derived. Many people are more likely to attribute these seizures as the result of a drug overdose. Several even go so far as to rob someone during the seizure and do nothing to help.

Image


The effects of epilepsy are not just physical either. Memory loss is common. Generally short term memory. Sure muscles are usually worn out, bones are sometimes broken and many deep gashes, bruises or cuts are caused but the remaining effects are far worse. Firstly there are the personal effects. Depression is common among epileptics. Attempted suicide is not uncommon due to this. The condition robs people of their independence and often makes finding employment exceedingly more difficult. Travel is also more difficult because it makes driving too dangerous not just to the driver but to everyone around them. The psychological effect is difficult too. Everyone around them is one way and they are another so it makes them feel like something is wrong with them. Others also perceive them differently. Friends and sometimes family leave them behind. People will frequently accuse one of faking their seizures and by extension downplaying the severity of the condition itself. This journalist speaks from experience.

Seizures can be caused by a vast multitude of things: stress, thirst, hunger, sleep deprivation, flashing lights, caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, heights and even changes in barometric pressure. Anti-seizure medication is also not always effective. Some might go their whole lives without experiencing more. Some go decades before having another. Some go a couple years, a couple months or a couple days. There are of course those that are catatonic every moment of their lives. Every seizure damages the brain and things get worse. If pharmaceuticals are unable to help those in need then where can they turn? Despite all the current knowledge there is still much more that is unknown. In recent years marijuana and an oil derived from it have made groundbreaking strides towards returning the lives of epileptics to normalcy. Perhaps even towards a cure but that is rather presumptuous of me to say.

As November comes to an end keep this in mind: if you see someone have a seizure don't just stare at them. You now have an idea of how strong they are to endure things many could not. Be there for them. Help them properly. Note below how to properly aid one that is having a seizure:

Image
Last edited by The Rejected Realms Media Corporation on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ghost Land, Great Meridian Empire, Honeydewistania, Kavagrad, Nevv Vegas

Advertisement

Remove ads