NATION

PASSWORD

The Rejected Times: Issue LVIII

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Darkesia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 786
Founded: Mar 01, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Darkesia » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:46 pm

Is there a transcript? I don't do the listening thing. I save my ears for pleasurable things like music.

I take it someone has been babbling about TWP and our general inability to give a flying fart about what other regions think we should do? Must be a slow news week.
Blackbird wrote:Francoism is to fascism as Marxism is to peanut butter.
Greater Moldavi wrote:If I didn't say things like that then I wouldn't be...well me.
Katganistan wrote:I imagine it's the rabid crotch-seeking ninja attack weasels. Very hard to train, so you don't see them in use in many places.

User avatar
Solorni
Minister
 
Posts: 3024
Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:53 pm

Same... I much prefer listening to music or watching YouTube videos while nsing or enjoying the sound of silence while reading and playing ns.
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

User avatar
Frances Francis the First of France
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 13
Founded: Dec 23, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Frances Francis the First of France » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:42 am

The Church of Satan wrote:
United RussoAsia wrote:You're correct. I believe we can all agree that good, well informed journalism would include primary resource research and contact.


I wasn't aware I had to fact-check my opinions. How disrespectful of me. -_-

The issue does not seem to be the need to fact checking opinions but of reporting opinions as if they are facts. When something that is purely an opinion is stated it needs to be expressed as such, and beyond that, the fact it is an opinion right or wrong does not shield one's self from criticism of the belief or criticism for posting an opinion instead of fact.

User avatar
Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1435
Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:08 am

Solorni wrote:Same... I much prefer listening to music or watching YouTube videos while nsing or enjoying the sound of silence while reading and playing ns.

I listened to the broadcast during update. I'm already just blankly staring at NS for 70+ minutes, might as well listen to people talk about it as well. Normally though, I blast the music and sing enthusiastically along.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

User avatar
Unibot III
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5808
Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Unibot III » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:25 am

Solorni wrote:Same... I much prefer listening to music or watching YouTube videos while nsing or enjoying the sound of silence while reading and playing ns.


Overall, I'm not sure why people are commenting here about their music preferences - if you don't like listening to podcasts, nobody is forcing you to listen to a podcast; The Rejected Times will be releasing a traditional 'text-based' release sooner rather than later, thanks.
Last edited by Unibot III on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
[violet] wrote:I mean this in the best possible way,
but Unibot is not a typical NS player.
Milograd wrote:You're a caring, resolute lunatic
with the best of intentions.
Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008 | Former Delegate of The Rejected Realms | Gameplay Alignment: -18 / -13
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL? // The Transpacific Trade
Paradise Found // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78 // The Polysemes of Nativeness;

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

User avatar
RiderSyl
Senator
 
Posts: 4878
Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby RiderSyl » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:15 pm

Unibot III wrote:Overall, I'm not sure why people are commenting here about their music preferences - if you don't like listening to podcasts, nobody is forcing you to listen to a podcast


The point of these comments, Unibot, is that most players prefer to have only one of their five senses occupied by NationStates. Your podcast bypasses that limit. So, a transcript alongside the podcast would satisfy those players.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

User avatar
United RussoAsia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 746
Founded: Jan 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United RussoAsia » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:02 pm

Frances Francis the First of France wrote:
The Church of Satan wrote:
I wasn't aware I had to fact-check my opinions. How disrespectful of me. -_-

The issue does not seem to be the need to fact checking opinions but of reporting opinions as if they are facts. When something that is purely an opinion is stated it needs to be expressed as such, and beyond that, the fact it is an opinion right or wrong does not shield one's self from criticism of the belief or criticism for posting an opinion instead of fact.

...
Yes, you're correct, but...
I said that already.
Delegate of TWP
Editor-in-Chief of Dass Nachrichten, TWP's official news outlet
Please be nice to the mods. They're here to make your experience better.
DLN unjustly demodded- 9/9/15
Tight pants, tight groupings, like I always say. -Nirvash

User avatar
PhDre
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 54
Founded: Oct 17, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby PhDre » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Ridersyl wrote:
Unibot III wrote:Overall, I'm not sure why people are commenting here about their music preferences - if you don't like listening to podcasts, nobody is forcing you to listen to a podcast


The point of these comments, Unibot, is that most players prefer to have only one of their five senses occupied by NationStates. Your podcast bypasses that limit. So, a transcript alongside the podcast would satisfy those players.


Almost no one complaining about a lack of transcripts appears to recognize how tedious and time consuming it is to transcribe audio. Speaking as a content creator here.
Home: Europeia

User avatar
The Church of Satan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1136
Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby The Church of Satan » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:01 pm

It's come to my attention recently that some view my comments regarding TWP as "bashing". I assure you that was not my intention. I sincerely hope the new government of The West Pacific can deliver the region from obscurity and I wish them all the best in their endeavors, no matter what form of government they have and how they operate. :hug:

And to a certain someone using that as political leverage in a certain election, go home bro. You are drunk. :rofl:
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever

User avatar
Farhand
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Jun 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Farhand » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:16 pm

The Church of Satan wrote:It's come to my attention recently that some view my comments regarding TWP as "bashing". I assure you that was not my intention. I sincerely hope the new government of The West Pacific can deliver the region from obscurity and I wish them all the best in their endeavors, no matter what form of government they have and how they operate. :hug:

And to a certain someone using that as political leverage in a certain election, go home bro. You are drunk. :rofl:

What a good politician! Apologizing only when it affects your political standing. :)

User avatar
RiderSyl
Senator
 
Posts: 4878
Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby RiderSyl » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:24 pm

PhDre wrote:
Ridersyl wrote:
The point of these comments, Unibot, is that most players prefer to have only one of their five senses occupied by NationStates. Your podcast bypasses that limit. So, a transcript alongside the podcast would satisfy those players.


Almost no one complaining about a lack of transcripts appears to recognize how tedious and time consuming it is to transcribe audio. Speaking as a content creator here.


You're right that transcribing audio is a bitch, but I don't know what the hell you think you're talking about in the first part of your reply. There was just plenty of expressed desire and supporting comments for a transcript of the recent podcast. If you missed it, all you have to do is spend a few minutes reading back.
Last edited by RiderSyl on Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

User avatar
The Church of Satan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1136
Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby The Church of Satan » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:30 pm

Let's go with that, because clearly you would know better than I what my intent is. :rofl:

If you knew anything you'd know that I'm not even referring to my own election. Because the only election I'm running in hasn't even had mention of TWP, but you knew that didn't you? :P
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever

User avatar
United RussoAsia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 746
Founded: Jan 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United RussoAsia » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:35 pm

The Church of Satan wrote:It's come to my attention recently that some view my comments regarding TWP as "bashing". I assure you that was not my intention. I sincerely hope the new government of The West Pacific can deliver the region from obscurity and I wish them all the best in their endeavors, no matter what form of government they have and how they operate. :hug:

And to a certain someone using that as political leverage in a certain election, go home bro. You are drunk. :rofl:

I'm not sure I would ever decribe any GCR as "obscure", but each to his own I suppose.

Thanks, though. The comment is appreciated.
Delegate of TWP
Editor-in-Chief of Dass Nachrichten, TWP's official news outlet
Please be nice to the mods. They're here to make your experience better.
DLN unjustly demodded- 9/9/15
Tight pants, tight groupings, like I always say. -Nirvash

User avatar
PhDre
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 54
Founded: Oct 17, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby PhDre » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:19 pm

Ridersyl wrote:
PhDre wrote:
Almost no one complaining about a lack of transcripts appears to recognize how tedious and time consuming it is to transcribe audio. Speaking as a content creator here.


You're right that transcribing audio is a bitch, but I don't know what the hell you think you're talking about in the first part of your reply. There was just plenty of expressed desire and supporting comments for a transcript of the recent podcast. If you missed it, all you have to do is spend a few minutes reading back.


I was just commenting on how the requests for transcripts do not appear to be balanced with any understanding of the difficulty of audio transcription. If you miss the printed word, all you have to do is not listen to the audio podcast.
Home: Europeia

User avatar
United RussoAsia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 746
Founded: Jan 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United RussoAsia » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:22 pm

PhDre wrote:
Ridersyl wrote:
You're right that transcribing audio is a bitch, but I don't know what the hell you think you're talking about in the first part of your reply. There was just plenty of expressed desire and supporting comments for a transcript of the recent podcast. If you missed it, all you have to do is spend a few minutes reading back.


I was just commenting on how the requests for transcripts do not appear to be balanced with any understanding of the difficulty of audio transcription. If you miss the printed word, all you have to do is not listen to the audio podcast.

...and in doing so miss the information included.
Quite simple really; these are consumers and they want a product they've been denied.
Uni said he's taking care of it, so I don't see any problem.
Last edited by United RussoAsia on Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delegate of TWP
Editor-in-Chief of Dass Nachrichten, TWP's official news outlet
Please be nice to the mods. They're here to make your experience better.
DLN unjustly demodded- 9/9/15
Tight pants, tight groupings, like I always say. -Nirvash

User avatar
Xoriet
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1755
Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:58 pm

The Church of Satan wrote:It's come to my attention recently that some view my comments regarding TWP as "bashing". I assure you that was not my intention. I sincerely hope the new government of The West Pacific can deliver the region from obscurity and I wish them all the best in their endeavors, no matter what form of government they have and how they operate.

:eyebrow: If you follow a denial of intent to "bash" TWP with fairly insulting commentary, your attempt at diplomatic alleviation of the effect of your own words - presumably to lessen the negative views of your preferred candidate - is poor.
Last edited by Xoriet on Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Legatus of the New Pacific Order

I've been training my whole life for this moment, I swear to you
Culminating just to be this well-versed leader before you

User avatar
Lord Ravenclaw
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 400
Founded: Dec 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Ravenclaw » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:21 pm

Xoriet wrote:
The Church of Satan wrote:It's come to my attention recently that some view my comments regarding TWP as "bashing". I assure you that was not my intention. I sincerely hope the new government of The West Pacific can deliver the region from obscurity and I wish them all the best in their endeavors, no matter what form of government they have and how they operate.

:eyebrow: If you follow a denial of intent to "bash" TWP with fairly insulting commentary, your attempt at diplomatic alleviation of the effect of your own words - presumably to lessen the negative views of your preferred candidate - is poor.


I too, find that interesting.

The West Pacific, has the sovereign right to involve itself as much or as little as it wishes in interregional affairs, rightly understanding with its veteran community that involvement with certain areas of NationStates brings toxicity, drama and *vaguely indicates* drivel. It interests me greatly that someone, a person holding a role of great influence in a sinker - a representative of their foreign affairs office - could make the above remarks without due consideration of how those comments would be received.

Interestingly enough, your statement would have been far more sincere had you cut the snark and attitude out of it.
Lord Ravenclaw
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Security Councillor, Twice-Elected Delegate and former Vice Delegate of The North Pacific

User avatar
Consular
Minister
 
Posts: 3026
Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:22 pm

It's ok though! Because he used humorous smileys and other emotes to diffuse the insult in his statement. That's how those work, right?!

User avatar
Lord Ravenclaw
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 400
Founded: Dec 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Ravenclaw » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:24 pm

Consular wrote:It's ok though! Because he used humorous smileys and other emotes to diffuse the insult in his statement. That's how those work, right?!


tOtally :twisted:
Lord Ravenclaw
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Security Councillor, Twice-Elected Delegate and former Vice Delegate of The North Pacific

User avatar
Todd McCloud
Senator
 
Posts: 4078
Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Todd McCloud » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:25 pm

It's like the more he posts, the more he makes those he represents look bad.
Hey I wrote a second book! Feel like reading?
This is the first book!

"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II
Vekaiyu's Wiki Page | Ikrisia Levinile's Wiki Page | Vekaiyu & Kelssek co-hosted the XII Summer Olympiad

User avatar
Dalimbar
Envoy
 
Posts: 225
Founded: Jul 19, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dalimbar » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:30 pm

The Church of Satan wrote:It's come to my attention recently that some view my comments regarding TWP as "bashing". I assure you that was not my intention. I sincerely hope the new government of The West Pacific can deliver the region from obscurity and I wish them all the best in their endeavors, no matter what form of government they have and how they operate. :hug:

And to a certain someone using that as political leverage in a certain election, go home bro. You are drunk. :rofl:

It's quite sad that you didn't learn the good lesson, particularly useful when you're Minister of Foreign Affairs, of "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all." Especially when the thing you want to say isn't really based in fact.
Dalimbar,
Delegate / Pharaoh (Ret.) of Osiris
Delegate (Ret.) of The North Pacific
Guardian (Ret.) of The West Pacific
Member of the Ex-Feeder Tyrant Club
Escade -
@Dali how many husbands do you have and why do you take the bestest ones
Dali -
1. Who knows. 2. Because I am a scoundrel.
---
Ark - He shows off some obscure but tasteful art, features smoking heavily, and is ironically more popular now than when he was published

User avatar
Unibot III
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5808
Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Unibot III » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:57 pm

United RussoAsia wrote:
PhDre wrote:
I was just commenting on how the requests for transcripts do not appear to be balanced with any understanding of the difficulty of audio transcription. If you miss the printed word, all you have to do is not listen to the audio podcast.

...and in doing so miss the information included.
Quite simple really; these are consumers and they want a product they've been denied.
Uni said he's taking care of it, so I don't see any problem.


I said if I had time I would do a transcript - but it's forty-five minutes of podcast to transcribe. It's unlikely to happen, because at this point by the time it got done, people wouldn't care. Sorry.
[violet] wrote:I mean this in the best possible way,
but Unibot is not a typical NS player.
Milograd wrote:You're a caring, resolute lunatic
with the best of intentions.
Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008 | Former Delegate of The Rejected Realms | Gameplay Alignment: -18 / -13
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL? // The Transpacific Trade
Paradise Found // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78 // The Polysemes of Nativeness;

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

User avatar
The Church of Satan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1136
Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby The Church of Satan » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:47 pm

Right, because while holding government positions, one cannot possibly speak on behalf of theirself. There I go thinking I could respond as an individual again. Me and my silly delusions, lol.
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever

User avatar
Xoriet
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1755
Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:00 pm

The Church of Satan wrote:Right, because while holding government positions, one cannot possibly speak on behalf of theirself. There I go thinking I could respond as an individual again. Me and my silly delusions, lol.

But you can't. When I was Delegate, I refrained from making posts that could cast TEP in a bad light. Why? Because I know that when you are representing a region, you should forgo initiating unjustified attacks. You have a responsibility to the regions you are a member of. Your cavalier treatment of those positions you knowingly chose to accept is, lightly put, unseemly conduct in the political Gameplay sphere.

If you wonder why you are receiving criticism for representing a region poorly with your individual opinion, that is because you have misrepresented what you took responsibility for by choosing to attack a region which has done you no harm. When you take a public office, especially one in FA, everything you say can and likely will be taken as a reflection of your region.

If you have an issue with having to limit your words to fulfill your responsibilities, you should find positions in which you are not accountable for the international opinion of your region.
Last edited by Xoriet on Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legatus of the New Pacific Order

I've been training my whole life for this moment, I swear to you
Culminating just to be this well-versed leader before you

User avatar
United RussoAsia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 746
Founded: Jan 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United RussoAsia » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:05 pm

Well, I wasn't gonna call CoS out, but I guess everyone else did.
Unibot III wrote:
United RussoAsia wrote:...and in doing so miss the information included.
Quite simple really; these are consumers and they want a product they've been denied.
Uni said he's taking care of it, so I don't see any problem.


I said if I had time I would do a transcript - but it's forty-five minutes of podcast to transcribe. It's unlikely to happen, because at this point by the time it got done, people wouldn't care. Sorry.

Quite alright with me. However, the information you're attempting to spread isn't going to be as effective because it is going to reach less people.

I'll leave it up to the public to decide for themselves whether that's a good thing or a bad one.
Delegate of TWP
Editor-in-Chief of Dass Nachrichten, TWP's official news outlet
Please be nice to the mods. They're here to make your experience better.
DLN unjustly demodded- 9/9/15
Tight pants, tight groupings, like I always say. -Nirvash

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Agalaesia, Bhang Bhang Duc, Estinao, Fereiland, LollerLand, Nepleslia

Advertisement

Remove ads