NATION

PASSWORD

The Old(est) Nations of NationStates

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Sardakhar
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

The Old(est) Nations of NationStates

Postby Sardakhar » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:41 am

Exactly as the title states. Now that NS is 10 years old, I'm personally interested in finding out about the nations that have existed for a long, long time. Anyone's been here for, say, 7 years or even more? I know there are a few nations from as early as 2004 still holding on here. Perhaps one, or two from 2003? Sailing on the waters of NS without sinking into the great abyss of nonexistence all the time?

I don't think there's anyone from 2002 (with the exception of Maxtopia, but it's dead and resurrected a few times).

Anyway, what is the oldest nation (again, with Maxtopia's exception) still on NS? Will you please show up here?
Last edited by Sardakhar on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:49 am

Sardakhar wrote:Anyone's been here for, say, 7 years or even more?

Many. Ballotonia and The Blaatschapen, for two.
#JusticeForGat
Flag | CoA | Map (bigger!)
I Just Want to Sell Out My Funeral

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:51 am

Maxtopia is the oldest officially but Max let it CTE so he can play in secret.

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:52 am

The Republic of Lanos wrote:Maxtopia is the oldest officially but Max let it CTE so he can play in secret.

Maxtopia still exists... for now.
#JusticeForGat

Sardakhar
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sardakhar » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:55 am

San Leggera wrote:
Sardakhar wrote:Anyone's been here for, say, 7 years or even more?

Many. Ballotonia and The Blaatschapen, for two.

God, more than 20 billion people in each country, and I have to wait for probably 7 to 8 years to reach that landmark! Too bad I can't simply ask the mods to add more people to my country, but I'm not sure I'm going to be happy with it.

The Republic of Lanos wrote:Maxtopia is the oldest officially but Max let it CTE so he can play in secret.

Yeah, but now it's resurrected again, apparently to mark the 10th anniversary of NationStates.

San Leggera wrote:

Maxtopia still exists... for now.

You are right.
Last edited by Sardakhar on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:56 am

Sardakhar wrote:
San Leggera wrote:Many. Ballotonia and The Blaatschapen, for two.

God, more than 20 billion people in each country, and I have to wait for probably 7 to 8 years to reach that landmark! Too bad I can't simply ask the mods to add more people to my country, but I'm not sure I'm going to be happy with it.

There are many more with a similar population level. I do remember there being a way to find them but I can't recall it.
#JusticeForGat

Jamie Anumia
Senator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamie Anumia » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:26 am

I believe Korinekia has the largest population out of all nations currently still existing. I'm not sure how to find the oldest nations though, since population isn't a completely accurate indicator.

Argyres
Bureaucrat

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Argyres » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:06 am

Winnipeg was around near the very beginning if I remember right (late 2002). I'm pretty sure Eureka was as well.

As the above poster mentions, population alone isn't completely accurate if the nation has CTEd before (I started in July 2003, for example, but am well behind on population).
Last edited by Argyres on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jamie Anumia
Senator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamie Anumia » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:08 am

Argyres wrote:As the above poster mentions, population alone isn't completely accurate if the nation has CTEd before (I started in July 2003, for example, but am well behind on population).
In addition, population growth isn't consistent over each day which can over time allow younger nations to overtake slightly older nations.

Fabistan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 18, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Fabistan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:12 am

I've been here for a while.

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:15 am

I've been here too long.

Perhaps we 7+ nations should sail away to the Undying Lands and leave NationStates to the noobs.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:28 am

Any nation with 'Antiquity' given as its date of founding is fairly old.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:29 am

Bears Armed wrote:Any nation with 'Antiquity' given as its date of founding is fairly old.

Some nations (such as Frisbeeteria) are Antiquity nations, but had their founding date put in manually by admins after they proved when they were founded.
Last edited by San Leggera on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
#JusticeForGat

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:54 am

Sardakhar wrote:Exactly as the title states. Now that NS is 10 years old, I'm personally interested in finding out about the nations that have existed for a long, long time. Anyone's been here for, say, 7 years or even more? I know there are a few nations from as early as 2004 still holding on here. Perhaps one, or two from 2003? Sailing on the waters of NS without sinking into the great abyss of nonexistence all the time?

I don't think there's anyone from 2002 (with the exception of Maxtopia, but it's dead and resurrected a few times).

Anyway, what is the oldest nation (again, with Maxtopia's exception) still on NS? Will you please show up here?

There are a few from 2002. There are many from 2003. I joined in June 2003 and this nation isn't even in the top 500 of populations worldwide. Some oldies are still hanging on.

Romanar
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Romanar » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:20 am

I'll hit my 7 year mark this February. It's a little scary to think about how many nations are older than mine!

Dub Dizzle
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dub Dizzle » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:27 am

There are plenty of 2002 nations in Wysteria...the Bruce (1041st nation created), Equus (1044), the Grendels (1155), Righteous Lefties (1166), Ummagumma (1925), the Zocalo (2364) and a few more.
Last edited by Dub Dizzle on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Galiantus
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:02 pm

Wow. Look at one of the oldest national happenings in the game:
•4 years 262 days ago: Maxtopia relocated from Lazarus to Lazarus.

*goes to technical*
Last objected by The World Assembly on Wednesday, August 1, 2012, objected 400 times in total.
Benjamin Franklin wrote:"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch."
Ballotonia wrote:Testing is for sissies. The actual test is to see how many people complain when any change is made ;)

On NationStates, We are the Good Guys:Aretist NatSovs

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:13 pm

San Leggera wrote:Some nations (such as Frisbeeteria) are Antiquity nations, but had their founding date put in manually by admins after they proved when they were founded.

I actually joined past the Antiquity cutoff, which occurred when national birthdays were added as permanent parts of the nation. I believe it happened in mid-2003, but the details weren't recorded in the early ChangeLog.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
San Leggera wrote:Some nations (such as Frisbeeteria) are Antiquity nations, but had their founding date put in manually by admins after they proved when they were founded.

I actually joined past the Antiquity cutoff, which occurred when national birthdays were added as permanent parts of the nation. I believe it happened in mid-2003, but the details weren't recorded in the early ChangeLog.

Looks to be around late November 2003 based on the member list.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Luna Amore wrote:Looks to be around late November 2003 based on the member list.

Nicely researched.

Note that the forum member list isn't an accurate gauge of total NS population. A nation appears on the member list ONLY if they clicked the Forum link since we moved to this forum. I would think that more than a few Antiquity nations and puppets have been plugging along for a decade without ever visiting the forums. Most of my puppets have never visited the forums and therefore don't show up on the members list.

Overall, I think the OP has drastically underestimated the number of nations that have been in continuous operation since the early days. Even though it's not a perfect measure, the next Population census should give a better picture.

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:00 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:

Oh, my mistake, then. I do recall some nations having their join-date added to their nation file, though, but I can't remember for the life of me where I saw it.
#JusticeForGat

The Bruce
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Bruce » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:06 am

I was the 1041st nation to be created in NationStates, in December, 2002. A day earlier and I might have been the 500th nation created (things got a bit exponential, when it came to nation creation in those days). They used to have a game tool where you could see the list of nations and their creation date order, but when NS Forum went over to Jolt they sadly lost that particular tool.

Population remains an imperfect method for determining nation age, owing to all the 'population bug' nations out there whose populations would only be possible if they were playing months before NationStates even existed. The population bug meant your nation population grew at double speed and you could have 4 issues a day, but it also meant that you could CT from inactivity twice as fast. There were a lot of 2003 nations that were affected by the population bug, until it was finally fixed. When you see the biggest nations in the NS World Report for population, almost all of them are beneficiaries of the population bug.

Even nations that were unaffected by the population bug are affected by daily population gain variances that over time have them become significantly larger than nations many months older than they are.

Errinundera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Errinundera » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:13 am

Errinundera was founded on Christmas Eve in 2002. We CTE'd for a couple of years so our population is only 17 billion.
The world is not cyclical, not eternal or immutable, but endlessly transforms itself, and never goes back, and we can assist in that transformation.

Live on, survive, for the earth gives forth wonders. It may swallow your heart, but the wonders keep on coming. You stand before them bareheaded, shriven. What is expected of you is attention.

(Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet)

The Bruce
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Bruce » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:22 am

I'm pretty certain that aside from the Violet (construct) that the first actual nation created was Elbonia, as a beta nation before NS went public. Elbonia CT'ed many years ago. There is currently a nation called Elbonia, but I don't know if the current holder of that nation name has any relation to the original player.

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:28 am

The Bruce wrote:I'm pretty certain that aside from the Violet (construct) that the first actual nation created was Elbonia, as a beta nation before NS went public. Elbonia CT'ed many years ago. There is currently a nation called Elbonia, but I don't know if the current holder of that nation name has any relation to the original player.

According to the Boneyard, that nation is the antiquity one.
#JusticeForGat

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay