NATION

PASSWORD

Embassy of The North Pacific

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Falapatorius
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 28, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Falapatorius » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:53 pm

Gladio II wrote:1. I never knew that Predator was illegal and I never knew that the tool violated the game's rules otherwise I would have never Installed It In the first place.

So you say, but we'll never know.

Gladio II wrote:2. I hardly even used the tool, I have only made use of the tool several times as a trigger or participant In a raid

There is a contradiction there. You hardly ever used the tool, but made use of the tool several times as a trigger, etc.

Gladio II wrote:Prior to the Predator punishments I've had no warnings/violations about anything, I've said It before In GP that I believed that my punishment was way too harsh and have even sent an appeal to the gameplay moderators but In the end I've accepted my fate and decided to move on.

I don't think it was harsh enough, but that's irrelevant and moot now.

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Anyone who has an issue with Gladio's role should also be complaining to the respective regions about Koth's status as a TBH Council Member, Vandoosa being delegate of Yggdrasil, and Aurum Rider leading the Kingdom of Alexandria's military.

I'm complaining about Gladio's role as it pertains to his status in TNP (the region this thread is about and where I'm located). If anyone should be complaining about Koth, it should be you. But I guess you have your reasons not to.

Sankami
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

The Northern Lights - Issue XIV, August 3rd

Postby Sankami » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:00 pm

Image Roleplay Reel
by Iraelia, Citizen

One of the most important aspects of NationStates is role play. After all, the premise of the game is acting as your nation's leader and answering issues to determine the status of your nation. Of course, that's just about, answering issues. However, for those whose minds are entranced by fiction, there exists more than just issue answering, there is role play. There are many ways to role play in NationStates: on the NationStates forum, in your own RP world, but the most prominent form of role play in The North Pacific exists in the world of Eras.

Based on The North Pacific forums and operating their own discord server, Eras RP has been used as a setting for about three years now and is open for anyone in TNP to join. Order is maintained by a team of role play moderators who ensure that people are obeying the rules of North Pacific RP. While things have slowed down recently in Eras, a lot of important events have occurred in the past few months that will shape the future of role play in Eras.

The biggest such event currently ongoing, though somewhat stalled due to the two key people being busy with real life, is the Council for the Reaffirmation of the Alliance of Northern Unions (ANU). In Eras, many nations have banded together to form alliances and unions in order to strengthen their nation’s position in the world. The two largest alliances are the Pan-Gotic Union (PGU) and the Phoenix Union (PU). The PGU is a union of nations that are ethnically Gotic, the Eras equivalent of German. The PU is a union of nations that are positioned on the Phoenix Strait, an area of strategic and economic importance in Eras. The predecessor to the PGU, the Northwestern Union (NWU), had been working on an agreement with the PU which would form the Alliance of Northern Unions (ANU). However, before either party could ratify the agreement, the NWU was disbanded and replaced by the PGU. Now that the PGU is firmly situated, members of both the PU and the PGU have gathered at a conference to discuss the actual ratification of the ANU. However, the proposed alliance is seeing significant opposition from powerful nations like the Ilian Coalition and Xentherida, members from within the proposed alliance, and it's future is most definitely in question.

Another important event that has been transpiring is the formation of the Trillium Compact (TC) which is the successor to the Trillium Accord (TA), and is an organization of democratic nations designed to further the goals of national sovereignty and voluntary cooperation between nations. The TC, having just been ratified, has now gone searching for new members to join their ranks. These proposed nations are Iraelia as an Associate Member and Goyanes and Syrixia as Observer Members. Many of these proposed members have received criticism from some sitting members of the TC. Syrixia is a self described autocracy and fails to meet the important democratic requirements in the eyes of the Ilian Coalition, Xentherida, and the Hastfradic League. Goyanes, while democratic, has strong allegiances to the PGU and PU which has off set several members of the alliance. Iraelia is also a democracy, but a history of racial tension in the nation has put the TC on edge. Needless to say, these nations will have to fight tooth and nail for entrance into the TC.

On a more local level, there have been several ongoing national role plays. One such story is Modergen, a character RP within the nation of Goyanes which centers around a terrorist attack on a newly built subway station in Goyanes by an organization seeking to re-institute dictatorial rule to the nation of Xentherida. They bomb the station under the guise of fascists from the nation of Ninhundland, a neighbour and sworn enemy of Goyanes, in the hopes that it may lead to war and further their end goal. Another active story is Yavneh Roya which is a traditional Iraelian holiday celebrating independence from the nation of Syrixia. This Yavneh Roya, the Prime Minister of Iraelia invited nations of the world to celebrate with the Iraelian government. The final major event that is ongoing is the Post Crown Conflict wherein Eras had recently gone through a major conflict where the nations of Samaria and Scallendovia declared war on the nation of Cogoria. The conflict has devastated the region and resulted in the destruction of Scallendovia. As a result, both Cogoria and Samaria have sent representatives to the Merillian League, acting as a neutral third party, to sign a peace treaty. Both nations signed the treaty, and the conflict has finally come to an end.

This has been Roleplay Reel #1.

ImageDiscord Analysis
by Atlae, Deputy Minister of Home Affairs

This column does not represent the views of the Government of The North Pacific.

There have always been things that separate regions, from the truly dedicated to the inactive ones, and is practically mandatory for activity: a means for communication. Many regions simply utilize their RMB to communicate, while others talk offsite on platforms such as IRC, Skype, or Discord. Today, we’ll be discussing Discord, specifically for the feeders, or the Pacifics.

First stop, the North Pacific. As a control, let’s analyze TNP. It has a general channel, #the-agora; a debating channel #poolside (formerly #the-ring-of-fire); a gaming channel, #tnp-gamers-union; a music channel, #music-hall; and a spamming channel, #the-sewers. It’s RP, however, is located on another server dedicated to TNP RP. As for its governmental and regional functions, #magicality-grand-plaza and #regional-assembly-private are reserved for citizen-only activity, and #world-assembly, discussing WA activities. TNP has 8 voice channels, all of them accessible except for the ones reserved to the Security Council and the Administration.

Next is the East Pacific. Its Discord is much less active as its citizens prefer Skype, using it to talk about RP, politics, and as a general chat. However, they do have channels akin to TNP’s, with a general channel (#hotel-california), a gaming channel (#gaming), a music channel (#hall-of-music), and of course, a spamming channel (#spam-games). Unlike TNP, they have an RP channel similar to TNP’s but held within TEP’s main server, called #tep-evolved. However, it is not active much due to most RP talk on a Skype chat, also called TEP Evolved. Its only citizen-exclusive channel is #the-plaza, and their April Fool’s nuclear command center was held at #strategicaircommand. TEP has only two voice channels, General and Music Hall.

The Pacific, commonly referred to as NPO (New Pacific Order), has a quite active Discord server, with a general channel (#pacifica_harbour), a music channel (#radio_pacifica), and a spamming channel (#spam_fields). It has its roleplay in its server, (#roleplaying_discussion), and has a channel called #bot_development, which is hopefully self-explanatory. The Pacific also has a citizen-only chat called #the_square. It has three voice channels, dedicating a general, gaming, and a music channel.

The South Pacific, whereas, is very active when it comes to Discord. Like the previous regions, it has a general channel (#lampshade-bar), a gaming channel (#games), and a spamming channel (#coconut-grove). However, it has two channels dedicated to RP: #bantam-harbour and #roleplay-discussion. The latter is an advisor chat where one gets questions answered, while the former is a much more recent development, RPing within the Discord server (much like the recent trend of RMB role-playing in TNP’s RMB). TSP, however, has 8 citizen-only channels about regional government (TSP refers to residents as citizens, so Legislator is the equivalent). It has 8 voice channels, two of which are restricted to the regional government.

The West Pacific is our last stop for now. It has a very active Discord and a considerably less active Skype. As usual, it has a general channel (#the-lounge), a music channel (#karaoke_lounge_and_tiki_bar) not just for Karaoke Friday, and a spamming channel (#the-clubhouse). It also has a politics channel (#politics_and_stuff), a military recruitment channel (#twpaf_recruitment), and another channel called #celebrate-twp (the purpose is hopefully obvious). It has 5 roleplay servers, dedicated to Discord RPs of differing genres. It also has a channel dedicated to D&D (Dungeons & Dragons). It has #hall_of_nations as its citizen-only channel and has 4 voice channels (one general, one Karaoke Friday, and two D&D).

To conclude, we have seen many different utilizations of Discord. What each of the servers has in common is some general and spamming channels and a regional politics chat which makes it a characteristic of their region. While activity among them varies, it certainly sets them different from regions that do not have Discord servers.

Image North Pacific Army Bulletin
by Iraelia, Citizen

This month, only four operations have been performed. This has been the first month under which Darcania has been the Minister of Defense.

The first operation was a training op in Novis Vandium. Six soldiers made it in and the operation was a success.

The second operation was a training op in the regions of Warzone Australia and Warzone Sandbox. Four soldiers took part and both operations were a success.

The third operation was a training op in the regions of Puppet and abandon nations dump and The New Old South. Only the operation into the Puppet and abandon nations dump was successful. Five soldiers took part in this operation.

The fourth and final operation was a training op into the regions of both The New Pacific nations and Warzone Africa. Both operations were a success. Six soldiers took part in the operations.

This has been your monthly NPA Bulletin.

Image Monthly Memoirs
by Kasch, Vice Delegate

Monthly Memoirs is back again for July! This month, I put a spin on the questions and how they were submitted. This July, you got to ask the questions! Overall, 5 questions were asked and 22 answers were received! We had questions submitted from members in all corners of the community.
Questions

• From @Xagill to The North Pacific: What has been your best experience in the North Pacific?
  • From @wicheye to The North Pacific: How much time do you give NationStates per day on average?
  • From @Sheppey to all citizens: If you could run a new region with any one other TNP citizen past or present, who would it be and why?
  • From @Nordpazifik to the staff of the Ministry of Communications: Why did you decide to be a part of Communications?
  • From @Nordpazifik to The North Pacific: If TNP was somehow suddenly disbanded overnight, where would you stay and why?
Answers

@ABC, Deputy Minister

What has been your best experience in the North Pacific?

In all honesty, I have had a lot of very good experiences in The North Pacific. If I had to pick though, my best experience would have to be when I became an ambassador in the diplomatic team to TEP. It was the first time I really got to interact with members of TNP and other regions. Before that, I had mostly just answered my nation's issues and occasionally talked on the RMB but because of that I got a lot more involved in the region.

How much time do you give NationStates per day on average?

Too much. :P But in all actuality, I give NS about 2-3 hours per day on average scrolling through the forums, talking on Discord, and carrying out my duties as a DM. I also occasionally go on OOC binges spending up to 2 hours at a time trying to count to 10 without being interrupted by Siwale.

Why did you decide to be a part of Communications?

Communications lets me express myself openly to the residents of TNP and beyond. Also, I really enjoy writing and certainly get to do a lot of that in the ministry. The biggest reason I joined the ministry is because I wanted to interview members of TNP to get to know more about them and it's interesting to see how their stories both are similar and different from your own. So far I haven't had a chance to give an interview, but look forward to doing one in the near future.

If TNP was somehow suddenly disbanded overnight, where would you stay and why?

Ugh. This is hard. The region I've had the best experience in (only as a diplomat) has been 10,000 Islands. They've always been very friendly to me and are fun to talk with. I wouldn't mind being a citizen in their region and think it would suit me well.

@Iraelia, Citizen

What has been your best experience in the North Pacific?

I'd say that my best experience in The North Pacific has been in the role play world of Eras. I joined NationStates mainly because I have a passion for creating fictional worlds and universes and I thought it was incredibly cool that their was a game that could let me do that. Eras let me expand that, as I was able to create my own nation in an entire imagined world. It enabled me to create interesting characters, backstories, and to tie those stories in with my fellow RPers' stories. It has been fun.

That all depends. During the school year, maybe an hour or two a day as I really don't have time for anything other than sports and studies. During the summer, however, I give it anywhere between 3 and 5 hours a day because, at least for this summer, I really haven't had anything better to do.

I had an open class on my schedule and I didn't really know what to do with it so I decided to take Journalism. It was a pretty fun class, but it got a little boring and repetitive towards the end of the year. My friend and I would finish our articles within the first thirty minutes of class and it would take the editor forever to edit our papers so we would just mess around on the computers. One day, I was browsing through the forums and I noticed that we had a regional newspaper. I read through a copy of it and thought it would be fun to be a writer and I applied to join the ministry.

Hmmm, that's kinda tough. I suppose I might stay in either another GCR or in The Kingdom of Great Britain. What I really like about TNP is the amount of activity that you don't really see in other regions, so the second best thing would be to join another GCR. However, TKoGB has some very interesting role play, so I really can't decide.

@Xagill, Deputy Minister

Usually an hour each day with the weekends being two to three hours normally.

I decided to be part of Communications as I had spare time and writing for a reason helped me to relax as well as being productive and writing for a goal.

I would stay in one of the feeders, most likely The East Pacific as I have slowly established a connection over there. They have an interesting system of government and a great RP scene in which I want to explore more.

@Lord_Ravenclaw, Security Councilor

The forum will still be here, but gameside? I'd let Lord Ravenclaw die at long last.

@Friently, Resident

I would say anywhere from two to four hours a day depending on how busy I am in real life. Usually during the day I have a couple ten to twenty minute periods where I get on and then I try and get on for at least an hour in the evening.

@Nordpazifik, Deputy Minister

I normally give a few hours to NationStates, and I'm most likely underestimating it because I'm obsessed. :P

@flemingovia, Citizen

I usually spend a few hours, maybe 2-3

I might retreat to any of my puppet regions.

Image The Spotlight #4: An Interview with Security Councilor Lord Ravenclaw
by Scorch & Lord Ravenclaw, Min. Communications & Security Councilor

Scorch: Hello and welcome to the Spotlight segment for The Northern Lights, Issue XIV. I am joined today by former Delegate, Lord Ravenclaw. Thanks for joining me on the Spotlight. It is great to have you on.

Lord Ravenclaw: No problem, it makes a change from sleeping on my recliner these days.

Scorch: Let's get started. First question. What was your first impression of TNP?

Lord Ravenclaw: Intimidation, quite honestly. I was a reasonably new player at the time I first encountered TNP, I was still new to regional politics and I was the Foreign Minister for an ally of TNP, Osiris at the time. The community, specifically the Regional Assembly and the Court intimidated me a lot as it was so much more rigid than Osiris or anything I had experience with prior.

Scorch: I had a similar reaction however TNP was my first experience in NationStates. My next question is what drew you to Foreign Affairs in NationStates?

Lord Ravenclaw: Well in a past game browser-game called Travian, I developed a knack for diplomacy and building alliances and factions so when I started looking for things to do in NationStates I figured that things wouldn't be too different from there… boy was I wrong.

Scorch: Interesting. What was your first official government position in any region in NationStates?

Lord Ravenclaw: Interior for Earth Reborn sometime in early 2009.

Scorch: What has been your favorite position to hold in TNP?

Lord Ravenclaw: Delegate was fun, it was a unique experience unlike anything else I've ever encountered within NationStates.

Scorch: It seems it is a position like no other. Has the development of Discord been something that you expected when you started having TNP use Discord?

Lord Ravenclaw: Well we have to remember that I started promoting Discord in November of 2015, starting with Alexandria. Gradually other regions tried it out for themselves, regions which shared some relationship with Alexandria, so Albion and Europeia were early adopters, the South Pacific at the end of the year, and TNP followed when I had the means to promote it here (when I was Delegate). I didn't expect it to catch on at all, truthfully. I had hoped, but never expected it so I'm rather pleased to have been surprised by this. We recently passed 800 members of the main TNP server.

Scorch: That is incredible. It is crazy to think about how much Discord is used now. What has been the biggest change in NationStates since you started playing?

Lord Ravenclaw: Well I can't pick one so I'll pick two: the influence changes to the GCRs which introduced decay back in 2013 and the Regional Officers implemented in 2016; both of these significantly change the dynamic and really do require regions to think more cautiously about their security.

Scorch: Both of those events happened before I arrived but it is hard for me to imagine NationStates without either of those aspects. What has been the most surprising event for you in your time in TNP?

Lord Ravenclaw: Surprising? The most surprising thing to me is that I stopped being afraid of the Constitution, Legal Code and Courts. I have always preferred roles which do not require me getting tangled in legalese, treaty-writing notwithstanding on that. That said, the days of me authoring legislation are gone, and they never visited TNP as I'm still terrified of even attempting to do that here.

Scorch: Is there a position you wish you had served in TNP?

Lord Ravenclaw: Hm, well I've held the positions of Minister of Foreign Affairs, Vice Delegate, Delegate, Minister of Culture, Senior Diplomat, Temporary Hearing Officer, Deputy Minister of Culture, Advisor to the Delegate and Security Councillor. Honestly, I think that I've held any position which interests me or that I have skills in.

Scorch: Final question. What has been your favorite part about playing NationStates?

Lord Ravenclaw: I've met some very interesting people, and I've formed some amazing friendships - McMasterdonia, Hileville, Xoriet and several others. I'm always surprised by the diversity of the people I encounter in the game, as there truly is a huge range of players of varying backgrounds within NationStates and if you make an effort to get to know some of these players they can offer you a unique insight into what their life is like, and it's a unique dynamic that is one of the most fulfilling things about forming a friendship with someone from a different part of the world.

Scorch: You really can meet interesting people through NationStates and form amazing relationships with them. Well, thank you for joining me today on the Spotlight. It has been a pleasure.

The Northern Lights: Beauty in Truth
Publisher: Pallaith :: Executive Editor: Scorch :: Managing Editor: Brend0g :: Graphic Artist: Imki + SillyString

The Northern Lights is produced by the Ministry of Communications on behalf of the Government of The North Pacific and distributed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Except where otherwise indicated, all content represents the views of the Government of The North Pacific.

Index of issues
Last edited by Sankami on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanglia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanglia » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:14 pm

My goodness that was a beautifully written group of articles.
Senior Warden in TGW. Usual commander of the UDSAF. Constantly snarky.
Views here are my own and not representative of any affiliation unless otherwise stated.
Always watching

Pallaith
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 20, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pallaith » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:30 am

Kanglia wrote:My goodness that was a beautifully written group of articles.

Thank you, the Ministry of Communications worked hard this term and I think this was the biggest issue they've released yet. I am pleased that we're finally dusting off this old thread and hope that we'll be posting these releases along with additional releases more regularly, hopefully consistently going forward.

Flanderlion wrote:Great article by Pallaith btw. The only reason I didn't leave the Pacific was because I didn't like the idea of military-grade helicopters picking up my nation, seemed unrealistic. Glad I didn't, and managed to keep that up until last night. Was moving a puppet into a random region somewhere, while running an autologin script in the background. The script logged into the nation just before I clicked move, so the game switched from the puppet to the autologin nation, which was Flanderlion. I was significantly irritated. https://www.nationstates.net/nation=fla ... ensusid=80. @Pallaith, do your friends still play?

I'm sorry I never answered your question, figured I might as well since I'm here. The friends I mentioned CTE'd long ago. I'm glad you liked the article.
The Rebellious Revenants of Pallaith

Former capital district of the nation Ghostopolis
Represented by Ambassador Malcolm Specter on the international stage

Pallaith
Spokesperson

Democratic Socialists

Postby Pallaith » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:52 pm

Magicality City, August 6th, 2017

Statement on Recruitment Policy Changes

The government of The North Pacific is announcing the following change to our policy on recruitment:

With immediate effect, we are extending permissible recruitment to include recruitment from within The North Pacific by any of the four regions of Balder, Lazarus, Osiris, and The Rejected Realms (sinker regions), in addition to recruitment by user-created regions.

This extension is exclusive to sinker regions, and does not include The Pacific, The East Pacific, The South Pacific, and The West Pacific (feeder regions). Additionally, this extension does not indicate any intention by The North Pacific to recruit from within either sinker or feeder regions, unless that happens after a mutual agreement with these regions to that effect. Finally, recruitment by sinker regions is subject to the same conditions regarding recruitment spam and other forms of prohibited recruitment as recruitment by user-created regions. These conditions are outlined in the Recruitment Policy we have been maintaining since 2014.

This extension comes after consultations with sinker governments. The extension is in recognition of the fact that sinker regions do not enjoy the same benefits as feeder regions in terms of a steady stream of new and active nations, due to the lower likelihood that refounded nations will become engaged within the sinker region they are refounded in. We hope that sinker regions will take advantage of this opportunity to recruit on the same terms as user-created regions, and that this will have a positive long-term effect in their activity and stability. We also encourage our feeder peers to consider taking similar measures and permit sinker recruitment from among their newly spawned nations.

Sincerely,
Pallaith
Delegate of The North Pacific
Last edited by Pallaith on Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:59 pm

Thank you TNP :hug:
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Adytus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Adytus » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Awesome!
Necromancer of Arbitration
In Lazarus

Scum
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Scum » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:06 pm

The recognition of the disadvantages that sinkers have in terms of recruitment really is refreshing, especially from The North Pacific.

Lazarus certainly appreciates this effort and hopes other feeders eventually pursue the same policy on an official level.

Altmoras
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 25, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Altmoras » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:14 pm

A progressive move that I hope other feeders follow, Sinkers have always had a raw deal, with the nations respawning being inactive by nature, and their GCR status making recruitment taboo.
Last edited by Altmoras on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benevolent Thomas-Today at 11:15 AM
"I'm not sure if Altmoras has ever been wrong about anything."

Inhumanly good at the game according to official word of site staff.

Kalinin K-30
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalinin K-30 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:16 pm

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Though I'm not a representative of Balder in Foreign Affairs, I think I can say that this is much appreciated by our regional community. Thank you.
Former Cultural Advisor of Balder.

Also known as La Navasse, Kalinin K-8, or Vuori Kunin-Grrs.

Escade
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:48 pm

The recruitment policy changes is an interesting development, and I hope someone maybe tracks how it works for all parties involved for the next few months.

I also wanted to mention how great The Northern Lights news looks. I especially liked the article on Discord and its role in communities and activities and also enjoyed the Monthly Memoirs. Looking forward to updates from TNP <3

United Provinces of Atlantica
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby United Provinces of Atlantica » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:19 am

A much needed and thanked decision, no doubt. I'm in no position to comment on Lazarus' stance given that I'm only the Culture Archbishop and a military officer, but speaking as a private Lazarene citizen our region has gone through trials and tribulations of both fire (i.e., coups and toxicity) and ice (i.e., inactivity). While TNP sadly cannot make great leaps towards ending the fiery bangs and wraths of coups and division, it can make a great leap forward towards allowing the Lazarene people to face and conquer the icy muffled whimpers of inactivity and silence by recruiting, and it has done just that today.

Thank you, TNP, for being the bigger region and doing the right thing today despite your region's longstanding stance of opposition to Sinker recruitment.
Last edited by United Provinces of Atlantica on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Citizen of Lazarus
The Most Serene Confederation of Vasturia: FactbookConstitutionReligionOther
Warden in The Grey Wardens - Join Today!

Festavo the Enigma
Secretary

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Festavo the Enigma » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:12 am

I am very happy to see this come to fruition. This is a policy I have supported out of fairness for a long time and I hope that more feeders follow suit.
Praefect of Foreign Affairs in The Roman Empire
Senator in Europeia
Pharaoh Emeritus of the Osiris Fraternal Order
Stationmaster Emeritus of Grand Central
Former Sergeant and Arms of Glory recipient in The Black Hawks
Burning Crown Emeritus in Firehelm
Ark: If I'm a clone of Fest I am defective as hell
Vac: Hide your WADs! Fest is bored.
Syg: Hate to say it but I like Festavo more.
Tim: I'm inclined to agree with Festavo, which is a terrifying occurrence.
Nyx: I see Festavo at all the best parties.
Revall: Festavo is an off his rocker cowboy capable of anything at the drop of a hat.

Onderkelkia
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 13, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Onderkelkia » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:20 am

Balder is most grateful to The North Pacific for this decision.
Emperor Emeritus of The Land of Kings and Emperors
King Emeritus of Norwood, etc.

Duke of Roskilde, of Balder

Archduke of Niso, of the LKE
Archduke, of The New Inquisition
Viscount, of Great Britain and Ireland
Honoured Citizen of Europeia
Emperor of the LKE
LKE Prime Minister
LKE Chief of the Imperial General Staff

Crown Prince of TNI
Commander of TNI Armed Forces
Director General of TNI Intelligence

Vice Delegate and Crown Prince of Balder
Prince of Jomsborg
Balder Statsminister
Balder Chief of Defence

GB&I Home Secretary
GB&I First Sea Lord

Chief Justice of Europeia

Member, Imperial Military Council, UIAF
Supreme Allied Commander, SRATO

WA Delegate of The Rejected Realms

Cormactopia Prime
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormactopia Prime » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:42 am

This is a sensible decision by The North Pacific, which will be of great help to Sinkers. I hope other Feeders will follow suit, though some have already expressed in the past that they have no problem with Sinkers engaging in standard telegram recruitment as user-created regions do.

Kylia Quilor
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kylia Quilor » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:00 am

Interesting.
Unfocused populism is just as dangerous, if not more so, to an elected government's wellbeing as creeping authoritarianism.
Queen Emeritus of Kantrias
Kylia Basilissa Regina Quilor Anacreoni

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:08 pm

A progressive move and a welcome change from the haughty attitude of TNP regarding this matter in the past.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Sankami
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

The Northern Lights - Issue XV, September 2nd

Postby Sankami » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:08 am

Image Regional Assembly Highlights
by Brend0g, Deputy Minister of Home Affairs and Communications

Over August we have seen the Regional Assembly be really active, three votes going to the floor and two other bills currently under discussion.

The first vote was the Election Reform Bill Reform Bill which was additional edits to the Election Reform Bill passed last month that was not included in the final draft. With support already on the previous bill and being straight forward, it was passed convincingly with 22 voting for, 4 voting nay and 3 abstaining from the vote.

The second vote was a motion to admit Pallaith to the Security Council, after a short discussion about the Security Council, the motion went to a vote. It passed extremely convincingly with 29 voting for, 1 voting nay and 4 abstaining from the vote.

Lastly, another Security Council application was presented to the Regional Assembly with the McMasterdonia being the candidate this time. As with Pallaith, discussion of the Security Council happened and was similar. As with Pallaith’s application, it passed convincingly with 25 voting aye, 3 voting nay and 4 abstaining from the vote.

Furthermore, 3 other bills are currently under discussion; Amendments to the Line of Succession, due to the additional Security Councillors and Plembobria and Bootsie's Security Council Application.

Overall we have seen additional Security Councillors with multiple bills on the matter as well as finalising the Election Commission.

Image North Pacific Army Bulletin
by Owenstacey, Speaker

The month started very strongly for the Ministry of Defence, with the minister, Darcania, running operations at most major and minor updates for a week. In this time, they were able to detag 8 different regions with 14 NPAers taking part in the 8 detags.

Then, shortly afterward, the NPA was part of a training operation where they successfully took the region Czarist Russia for four days. This exercise was hugely successful with 14 NPAers taking part. During this training exercise, Darcania resigned as Minister of Defence and was replaced by Gladio, an experienced former Minister of Defense.

In the first full operation under Gladio, we took part in a training operation where we raided and detaged two regions. This was successful with 10 NPAers taking part in the operation.

Then for the final mission for the month, we raided and occupied The International Kingdom along with 5 of our allies. The mission was very successful as they held the region for 5 days and 19 NPAers took part.

Overall, August was a good month for the NPA with 12 regions being taken during the month.

Image The Spotlight #5: An Interview with Scorch
by Scorch & abc, Minister of Communications & Deputy Speaker

abc: Hello Scorch, I'm happy to get a chance to interview you! What made you start playing NS?

Scorch: I started playing because I was getting bored in one of my classes, so I began to look for a government and politics game and found NS.

abc: Why did you end up moving (or staying) in TNP?

Scorch: I have stayed in TNP because I enjoy the people here and the community that they have built. TNP is very welcoming, and I have never once felt unwanted.

abc: In what direction do you hope to lead the Ministry?

Scorch: I hope to get the last issue of TNL out and try to continue the consistency we have had this term into the next term.

abc: What do you hope to pursue next in TNP and why?

Scorch: I'm not completely sure. There are plenty of opportunities I could pursue, but I haven't decided what I'll do next.

abc: What's the hardest choice you've made in TNP and what made it so difficult?

Scorch: Fortunately I feel that I have not had to make many difficult choices during my time in TNP.

abc: How has TNP influenced or affected you in RL?

Scorch: TNP has introduced me to so many new people along with their views and opinions. I think TNP has opened me up and allowed me to see from different points of view.

abc: What are your interests outside of NS?

Scorch: Politics, baseball, science, piano and sleep.

abc: Can you give newcomers to TNP some tips?

Scorch: The best advice I have for a newcomer is to voice their interests. I voiced my interests when I was new, and I was asked to be a deputy minister. Two months after that, I became a minister. There are loads of opportunities in TNP, but you need to voice your interests so people can help get you those opportunities.

abc: Finally, who is your favorite TNP Delegate and why?

Scorch: I have only been in TNP for two delegates, so I don't feel that I have a large enough selection to pick a favorite. I have enjoyed working under Plembobria and Pallaith, and both have influenced me.

abc: It's been nice talking to you Scorch!

Scorch: Thanks

Image Roleplay Reel #2
by Iraelia, Citizen

While the summer has dealt a blow to activity in NationStates, The North Pacific Roleplay has managed to maintain an average amount of activity throughout the slump. In fact, this past month saw the return of Syrixia, who has been a longtime role player and whose nation plays a major role in the history and politics of Eras. This month has also seen an uptick in the activity of international alliances, with one being formed and another beginning to retain its prior activity. This has also carried into the National Roleplay section, where five new threads have been posted. With all this being said, let's get into detail.

In National Roleplay, many pivotal events have been transpiring that have a great chance of altering the political landscape of Eras as we know it. These events would be the creation of the Democratic People's Republic of Skanda, a Revolution among the Sundeonians in Kanada, and the Prydanian Civil War. The Socialist Republic of Skanda (SRS) was originally a nation that had formed during the 1950s, shortly after Skanda gained independence from Andrenne, it's colonial parent. The government, which was fervently communist, had plans of expansion into its fellow nations in an attempt to conquer Iteria, the continent it resides on. However, after a war in the 1960s and a coup in the 1980s, the government was deposed in favor of a capitalist one. In spite of this, Misaka Tawanoa, leader of Skanda, had sought to reestablish this communist state. So, after having dissolved her parliament the day before, Misaka Tawanoa declared Skanda to be communist once more on August 17th, creating the Democratic People's Republic of Skanda. This action has already been condemned by their neighbor, Takashima, which is currently a capitalist dictatorship. Another nation, the Merillian League, has decided to remain neutral in the scenario but is offering Skandan Ambassadors in the League asylum. All those that wish to return were allowed re-entry into Skanda. Meanwhile, in Kanada, the people of Sundeon (a province in Kanada) are revolting. Sundeon once was an independent state, but after a war with nearby Calgary, it was annexed to form what became modern day Kanada. Now, Sundeonian Nationalists have taken up arms against the Kanadian Government and retaken Fort Sean. This has caused the Malorian Emperor to send 3,000 soldiers to Kanada, a controversial move that sparked massive debate in the nation. Kanada is not the only nation in the Northeast that is undergoing turmoil, Prydania has just left a civil war that has damaged the nation. The nation, which was under Syndicalist Dictatorship, has been challenged by the traditional monarchy which ran the nation. This conflict has scarred the nation and hurt the people of Prydania drawing ire from the Pan-Gotic Union (PGU). Prydania, a nation of Gotic heritage, was in dire need of humanitarian aid. As this was the case, the reached out to the PGU for help. The PGU offered Prydania observer status in the organization, and many PGU nations have provided aid to Prydania. This has allowed the nation to begin the slow recovery process.

In the negotiations sub forum, threads have seen a spike in activity as well. The most active organization in this past month has been, without a doubt, the PGU. This past month, the current Chancellor of the PGU (Jorgen Arnad, Goyanes) has appointed Jaever Staufenberg of the Hastfradic League as his Deputy Chancellor. Additionally, as has been stated before, they accepted the nation of Prydania into the PGU. Along with the admittance of Prydania to the PGU, a proposed humanitarian intervention may soon occur as many nations are already independently providing aid to the nation. The next most active organization this month was the Iterian League. An organization founded after a war which tore apart the continent of Iteria, the Iterian League serves as a nonaggression pact and a forum on issues facing the continent. While the organization was founded back in the 1980s, the thread was created just this month and recently held elections for the Chairman of the Directorate (the governing organization of the league). Irad Yasur of Iraelia won the election, and she appointed Yoshihama Tokaji of Takashima as her Deputy Chairman. They are set to have their first legislative session at the beginning of September. The last major organization which has been active this month is the Phoenix Union. With the return of Syrixia (who was the Grand Presiding Officer), an election for the new Grand Presiding Officer was held. The candidates were from Sil Dorsett and the Equestrian Commonwealth. The candidate from Sil Dorsett won the election, making their representative the new GPO.

Finally, this month, there was activity in regards to international sports. Grand Prix International, a car racing tournament in Eras, is set to begin soon. Sixteen groups from around the world will compete in the racing tournament. While the tournament has seen a lot of inactivity and setbacks, the tournament groupings have been finalized, and the races are set to begin shortly.

This has been Roleplay Reel #2.

ImageDiscord Analysis #2
by Scorch, Minister of Communications
This column does not represent the views of the Government of The North Pacific.

Last issue, we discussed the use of Discord within the feeder regions. This issue, we are going to look at how regions communicated before Discord and how Discord came to be the dominant form of communication in NationStates.

After regional governments and communities began to form, they needed to find an easy way to communicate with other NationStates players. These communities began to use IRC, and it quickly became the most popular way to communicate offsite in NationStates. I asked a long time NationStates player SillyString about what made IRC appealing to regions. She responded with “Low barrier to entry? Anyone can join, it’s not “owned” by any one person. If you get banned from a channel, you can just make your own. Easy to use and can be used on basically all platforms.”

While IRC remained the dominant offsite form of communication for years, it did face some rivals. Early on, AIM and MSN Messenger would be the main rivals to IRC. Later, Skype started to become popular in some regions. Most of these other platforms failed to compare with IRC regarding accessibility and functionality. However, different regions would embrace these new platforms. TNP would continue to use IRC while Skype became popular with raiders.

Even with these rivals, IRC would continue to be the most popular way to communicate up through 2015. The switch to Discord would start in late 2015, and one of the regions to first use Discord was The Kingdom of Alexandria. In a previous interview with Lord Ravenclaw (the founder of The Kingdom of Alexandria and former Delegate of The North Pacific), he stated that “... I started promoting Discord in November of 2015, starting with Alexandria. Gradually other regions tried it out for themselves, regions which shared some relationship with Alexandria, so Albion and Europeia were early adopters, The South Pacific at the end of the year, and TNP followed when I had the mean to promote it here (when I was Delegate).” He became Delegate of TNP in January of 2016. By this time, Discord was rapidly gaining popularity, but it had not quite passed IRC in use. It didn’t take long though. By late 2016, Discord had become the most popular way to communicate in NationStates. When people started to become more familiar with Discord, regions began to experiment with new functions like voice chat. Now, some regions, including TNP, even have a radio show on Discord. We currently have the Northern Broadcast Service (NBS) that hosts a radio show on the TNP server.

More regions started creating Discord servers, and it has now grown to become a staple of NationStates. The multitude of features makes it appealing to just about everyone. You can join a channel, create your channel, voice chat, create bots, and maybe even video chat soon. Next issue, we will continue to look at Discord by focusing on how Discord has changed NationStates, and how it has impacted major events.

ImageAn Interview with IndieGirl
by Kasch, Vice Delegate

The following interview took place on the 25th of June 2016 and ended on the 27th of June 2016.

I don't know if many people reading this will know IndieGirl (a.k.a Poe/Poester), but I am very lucky to have, even if it were only for a few months.

The interview was going to be included in Issue IX of the Northern Lights, but never got posted. I've included this article so that it gets the chance to be seen as it would have been, and I hope that one day IG herself can see this.
Kasch: Welcome, IndieGirl!

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for taking part in the interview, and I hope we can get a lot of interesting things from this.

IndieGirl: My pleasure! Glad to be here.

Kasch: Let's get this started.

First question, how do you think TNP as a region has changed and developed since your founding as a nation in this community?

IndieGirl: Oh, I think it has changed in a multitude of ways. Of course, off the bat, there are tons of brand new players (to me) that I have yet to be acquainted with. One thing you have to know is that, for a high percentage of my infamous post-count, I was never much of a mover-and-shaker. I think initially, I brought a lot of drama to TNP when I first showed up. I was starting college, 19, with the mindset of a 19-year-old. I had actually heard about NationStates on a poetry forum that I had been writing at for a while. A fellow writer had recommended it and I decided to check it out. Luckily, my nation - Creepugnasia? I think that was the first one - was born in TNP, and I never really left.

I did what most players always do. You address all your issues, make your flag, change your currency, animal, and motto a few times, and then start poking around the RMB. The in-game forums were too overwhelming for me, I felt like I'd get lost in the shuffle, so I saw the link to the off-site forum, Ol' Blue (it wasn't called that at the time) and went to poke around. I was fascinated by the RP opportunities and hadn't done much previously, but as a creative, quiet type, and a writer, I was drawn to the world-building potential of the game, and the characters.

Magicality, Nastic, Tresville, Blackshear, OPArsenal, Twoslit, Wilkshire, Flemingovia, Nem, Sydia... they were a few of the players I met and interacted with right away, and I enjoyed the interactions immensely. Got a bit carried away with it, actually, and a friend and I created a whole houseful of teenage girl characters to play around as on the forum. Poe was the opportunity to be myself in a way that I think most teenagers avoid being IRL at that age, to try and fit in or whatever. She was my chance to be exuberant, outgoing, ridiculous, flirtatious, etc. And I took it and ran with it.

I was always more involved with the RP and OOC sections of the forum than any of the politics. At the time, really, gameplay-wise, it seemed all you could do was invade or defend, or write resolutions. We had some structure, but things weren't as...delineated...as they are now. As far as TNP government went, there was far less depth and breadth to it than there is now. No extensive history of amendments and court proceedings. It was far less organized, but it was fantastic in spite of the...chaos. I fell in love with the opportunity to meet people from all over, to make friends and get to know them. We had imaginary houses, pool parties, kissing booths, bar fights, discussions about music and philosophy and nothingness.

AIM chats and countless nights up super late just spamming the OOC so fast that by the time you posted in the "Describe the Person Above You" thread, three other people had already posted. There was a whole gang of us who really just "hung out" on the forum and avoided the politics. We had what we really wanted - friends. We were fine with Pope Hope and the ADN and the NPA (I don't even remember if it was called the NPA at the time) running around defending other regions and ousting invader spies... There were the politicians and the militia and the community... and I was buried completely in the community. And it was wonderful.

And then, in real life, I went on vacation with my family, and when I returned, I found my online "home" had been attacked. My nation was in the Rejected Realms. UPS Rail had stolen the delegacy, I felt personally affronted, and outraged on behalf of my friends and the destruction of the sanctuary that our TNP home was. My patriotism kicked in fiercely, out of nowhere. I joined the NPA. Spent nights in the group AIM chats with Thel D'Ran and everyone else trying to figure out how to take our home back.

It was during those chats that Thel and I coined the term "endotarting" for the first time, trying to figure out what to call spamming TGs the long, slow way to all the nations endorsing UPS Rail, shamelessly begging them to un-endorse him and endorse our Delegate-In-Exile. That was really my first run-in with the politics and mechanics of invading and defending. And I was surprised at how passionately I felt about the politics. About the people involved, when we found out that UPS Rail was Sir Paul, the Pacifican. The Pacific had done something unforgivable when they invaded us. I despised them. I'm fiercely competitive by nature, and the values that matter most to me are loyalty, kindness, and justice - and I felt like all three of them had been attacked at the same time.

I wanted revenge, I wanted to restore order, but I didn't feel like I could do much of anything to fix what had happened. I didn't have any "1337 H4XX0RZ" skills like the ADN spies had... so I offered my spamming services, and that was it. Spammed and tried to keep up the morale, keep the OOC alive. At least we had the forum. After the UPS Rail invasion was when things really began to change, and those changes snowballed through Great Bight, and the civil unrest and division that happened in the wake of that. A lot of people - my friends - left. The ones who stayed wanted to order and safety, a way to find restitution against those who did us wrong, to stop those things from ever happening again. Naturally, the credit for the organization and expansion of the government goes to the politicians and leaders on the forum, and I don't really count myself among them. I don't think I ever really have.

The last few times I have come back over the years, the biggest change that I noticed, is that post-Great Bight and the forum move, we threw up walls and halls and rules and defenses so fast, and out of so much... paranoia, almost? As complacency settled back over the region and the forum community, we withdrew into our shells a bit. If that makes sense? The tide was back out. And looking through the forum, it feels like we have many marble halls that sit empty, unused now that the zealous, overabundance of caution has ebbed.

We don't need to use them, and so we don't. There are voices you can feel behind closed doors, but mostly the edifices we built are full of echoes and ghosts. Safety and order bring complacency, but they also bring stagnation, boredom. When people get bored, they leave. They abandon things halfway through. Sometimes I am nostalgic for the chaos that we had in those early days. The blissful ignorance that let us create and play because we didn't have to worry about failure. Didn't have to worry about "legal" repercussions. I think sometimes that our lust for invincibility did serious damage to our sense of humour. And I have definitely been guilty of growing bored and wandering away more than a few times.
I hope I don't offend anyone, and I might be completely wrong in that. Honestly, I haven't been active enough in the last few years to really know if the things I sense are the truth, or merely my false perceptions. I'm sad that I've missed the opportunity to observe and interact with this great community continuously as both it, and I, have grown.

But I feel the winds of change have shifted. As I read (slowly but surely!) through the threads and events that I have missed in recent times, I do see community, friendship, imagination, creativity, growth, goodness, humour, and light. The OOC and the RP sections feel active and rich to me in a way that they haven't since those early days. The North Pacific feels like a land of opportunity again. I find myself drawn to participate and give back to a place that gave so much to me in times that I truly needed it. There are ways to progress and feel true kinship. The active community that TNP is, currently, feels more welcoming and hopeful than I have seen in a long, long time. I'm overjoyed to have come back at this time. Moreover, I am optimistic at the prospect of finding many new, dear friends among you.

Kasch: Thank you for the response. I'm sure that will give for good reading!

Now, onto the next question. To settle things down after such a brilliantly detailed answer, can you describe The North Pacific in just one sentence?

IndieGirl: Hrmm... that's a tough one! I think... The North Pacific is, no matter the iterations it has been or may become, a bastion as bright and hopeful as the people who belong to it.

Kasch: Another fantastic answer!

Now, since the appointments to cabinet have recently been made by our WA Delegate, Lord Ravenclaw, it would only be right that I ask a question on that topic.

What plans do you have for the Ministry of Cultural Affairs over the next four months?

IndieGirl: I have so many ideas! But a select few that I want to get started on right away. I don't want to give away any big surprises, but I will say that I am planning on assembling a Culture Council, that I envision will be a round table of representatives from each area of TNP's rich culture, areas that currently exist, and areas that I would like to see created and embraced during the length of my term. Once I have organized and outlined the council positions I'd like to start with, then I will be posting those seats as open executive staff positions for people to apply to.

I am thrilled about The Northern Cup and the new Stadium that we have built - I can't wait to see what we choose to name it. And I am excited to see how my national team fares during The Cup. I think we have a strong roster of players, but the competition seems pretty fierce. I look forward to seeing many sporting events occur now that the Stadium has given us a prominent location for them. I think sporting events, especially, give newer players less familiar with RP a great opportunity to test the waters.

And I think it's high time we had a good party or two around here. I imagine there will be a quite formal celebration once the Stadium's christened with its official name.

I really want to give members the opportunity to serve in and shape a variety of community events, both regional and worldwide. If anyone has ideas for ways to do that, I welcome them with open arms. Your ideas - no matter how small or elaborate - will always have my ear, and I will do everything I can to make the best of them happen, and happen well.

Kasch: It is great to see such a passionate and dedicated Minister! Once again, a fantastic answer.

Now, I know we've already spoken about your history and career in The North Pacific, but I'd like to get a bit more information on it. If you could bring back one nation from your time in this game, who would that be and why? It could be anyone who you have met on NationStates or in TNP.

IndieGirl: Oh, now that's not fair. I don't think I could ever pick just one! Can I choose three? If I could pick three to come back and be full-time active again, I would have to say Blackshear, Sydia, and DD (Democratic Donkeys). Mostly because I think those fellas were fantastic at being involved in multiple areas of the game, both on and off the forum. And their wit, humour, tastes in music, and willingness to indulge my ridiculousness are greatly missed. I interact with them on occasion in other online places (since they all live so far away from me)... but those interactions are merely smoke and bywords, a far cry from the conversations and interactions we would have here in The North Pacific.

Kasch: I hope that one day they do make a full return to the community, it would be great to hear from them!
Now, staying on the topic of history, let's ask: What is your earliest/furthest back memory of TNP?

IndieGirl: When I met Blackshear for the first time in Ozworld's Cafe. Magicality was sitting at a table flirting with OPArsenal while Tresville was passed out under the table. BS made me an off-menu Dr. Pepper float and offered me a job.

Kasch: Sounds like quite the entrance! We've been focusing heavily on the past here, so let me throw you a curve ball. From the current Nations in TNP, who do you believe could or will succeed Lord Ravenclaw in the next election? You can pick multiple nations if needed.

IndieGirl: Me! Hahaha...soooooo kidding. I am not sure I feel entirely informed enough to make an educated guess, but I think Bootsie, r3n, or Plemby would serve well, and seem popular and active enough. Personally, I've always hoped to be around for another Flemingovia delegacy...

Kasch: Good choices! Now that we have spoken a bit about the Delegacy let's focus on some of the lesser known people of our past.

Who has had the biggest influence on you/taught you the most in NationStates/TNP?

IndieGirl: I don't really think any of the players who taught me the most about the game have been lesser-known. DD, Sydia, Flemingovia, Blackshear, Thel D'Ran, Ananke, were all great mentors/friends/influences. Anytime I have a real question about something game-related that I can't just Google, though, I go ask Eluvatar. In my mind, Elu is the proverbial sage at the top of the mountain who sees and knows everything going on in the valley below.

Kasch: What are you most proud of doing concerning NationStates and TNP?

IndieGirl: Hrmmm...

I mean, achieving 28k forum posts is no mean feat. I was inactive for the last, what, 3 years? And I still average 7 posts per day or something like that? Crazy. The post count isn't the thing I'm the most proud of, no, but it's a big part of what I AM most proud of, which, looking back through the years, is really just all of the little things, you know? The daily posts and interactions that helped to build and contribute to a community that was worth defending, worth fighting for, worth trying to improve and be proud of. People don't work or stay for a bunch of fancy rules and elaborate buildings... the things worth belonging to and keeping are the community and the bonds of friendship that tie us together and help us stand united when troubles do come. I like to think that my personality and my enthusiasm helped to significantly contribute to making The North Pacific a place that people wanted to visit, and ultimately stay and get involved.

Kasch: Nice answer!

I think that's about all I have to ask you, it's been great to have you on here! I hope we can arrange another interview like this at some point in the future. Everyone, I've been Kasch, and this has been our new Minister of Cultural Affairs, IndieGirl!

Thank you all for coming along!

IndieGirl: Thank you so much for having me, it's been lovely!

Kasch: You're welcome, I wish you luck for your next term as Minister, and I hope everything goes to plan.

Goodbye!

The Northern Lights: Beauty in Truth
Publisher: Pallaith :: Executive Editor: Scorch :: Managing Editor: Brend0g :: Graphic Artist: Imki + SillyString

The Northern Lights is produced by the Ministry of Communications on behalf of the Government of The North Pacific and distributed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Except where otherwise indicated, all content represents the views of the Government of The North Pacific.

Index of issues

Pallaith
Spokesperson

Democratic Socialists

Postby Pallaith » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Magicality City, September 3rd, 2017

Statement on Recent Events Regarding Kingdom of Great Britain

The North Pacific has always advocated the security and stability of our allies and our fellow game created regions. We were thus dismayed to learn of the plans by the Kingdom of Great Britain to infringe on the sovereignty of not just two game created regions, The West Pacific and Osiris, but also our long time friend and ally, the Republic of Europeia.

We condemn this behavior in the strongest possible terms. We express our disbelief that this was the work of one person, as is being claimed. The North Pacific holds the collective advisers of the Founder, George VI, their accomplice Vaculatestar, as well as George VI himself, responsible for their own words and deeds. Additionally, regions must be held responsible for the actions of those who lead them. Therefore we have decided to close our in-game and forum embassies with the Kingdom of Great Britain, effective immediately for this blatant and inappropriate transgression against Europeia and multiple game created regions.

We stand resolutely behind Europeia, Osiris and The West Pacific in this matter.

Pallaith
Last edited by Pallaith on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pallaith
Spokesperson

Democratic Socialists

Postby Pallaith » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Magicality City, September 14th, 2017

Delegate's Opening Address to The North Pacific for the September 2017-January 2018 Term

It is my great honor and pleasure to serve as your delegate for a second term. Thank you to everyone who voted, thank you to everyone who asked questions and participated in the election in any way. We had strong turnout and we had no small amount of interest from the RMB regulars. I want to thank Kyoki Chudoku in particular for participating. I have learned since becoming Delegate that the relationship between the RMB and the rest of the region is not one that can be taken for granted, or easily managed. It is a partnership, and one that evolves, sometimes in unexpected or challenging ways, and we must always be able to recognize what it needs from us. I have heard loud and clear the message you and the people who supported you have sent us, and I hope that you will help me going forward as we determine the best way to continue to bring both gameside and offsite communities together. I have big plans for the next 4 months, and there will be quite a few opportunities for all of you, whether you are gameside or offsite, to aid me in that effort. Start applying for the executive staff now, even if you are unsure about it, because there is no better way to get involved in TNP. Join the Discord, be part of the conversation. If you don't already, visit the RMB, see what the gameside people have going on, share a laugh, or a friendly greeting. Encourage them to do the same on the forum and the Discord server. We're all playing this game together and our successes and failures are shared.

TNP is the great region it is because of the individuals who reside in it. We are more than neighbors, we are friends and countrymen. Let the next 4 months be a time when we can truly say we are one TNP, and that we all did our part to stick together and build each other up, not look down on others or turn up our noses in distrust. I ask that you not only trust me, but each other. See the best in your fellow player, extend the benefit of the doubt. You will be tested, and there will always be those who delight in mischief or tearing people down. Do not fall into their traps, do not allow cynicism to win. It's easy to criticize, to stick to what you know and put people in boxes, to write them off. Do the harder thing, take a risk, open yourself up to the unexpected. Do not fear the RMBer, begin posting. Start small and make it a habit. Do not avoid the forum or Discord because it's not the game you're used to. Experience the game in a new way, meet people you otherwise would never see. Show them what you bring to the table, and eventually watch as the game's other face starts to change and you can see yourself in it too.

I intend to extend this principle to the wider game as well. TNP is not an island, it is a friendly neighbor and, I hope, example to the world that democratic governance in NationStates not only works, it brings great success. We are better together, this is true when gameside and offsite is united, but especially true when we work beside and enjoy the company of our fellow regions, GCR and UCR alike. I believe that if you are a friend to others, they will return the favor. I want us to open our door, and our hearts, to the people who come from different regions. When I last ran for delegate I advocated for a TNP that embodied leadership. We would lead in the WA, lead in our alliances, lead in tools and innovation, and in new ways to host events and communicate with others. We cannot really do those things if we charge forward alone, and without extending a hand to others. Too much time and potential is wasted in this game being suspicious of others, worrying what others will think, seeking only the quickest and most devastating ways to inflict harm and benefit at the expense of our fellow players. TNP has never been about that, and so long as I am here, we will continue to do our part to rise above it. Our allies can count on us to return the trust and friendship that they have shown us. Our neighbors can count on us to remain friendly and respectful when they engage with us in good faith.

The people helping me see this vision through as members of my cabinet are the following:
Minister of Defense: Gladio
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Kaschovia
Minister of Home Affairs: ABC
Minister of Culture: McMasterdonia
Minister of World Assembly Affairs: Sil Dorsett
Minister of Communications: Xagill

Egalotir will continue to serve as the Gameside Advocate. I will also be reappointing Eluvatar, r3naissanc3r, and Lord Ravenclaw as Advisors to the Executive Council and the Delegate.

I believe in the work we have been doing the past 4 months. The experience has shown us what worked and what could have worked better. This term we will have the benefit of hindsight to help us do even better for The North Pacific. Our region is great because our region is good. We have strong values and strong-hearted people who believe in them and hold them dear. I believe in every one of you and the things big and small that you can offer not only this region, but the game of NationStates. Please share those talents and skills with us now, lend me your best effort in addition to the trust you have placed in me in this last election. We can really do something special with it. I look forward to seeing where TNP is when we enter the next year, and thank you again for deciding to go on this journey with me.

Pallaith

Escade
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:33 pm

Congratulations Pallaith and new cabinet and advisers! TNP looks like it is in great hands again :)

Writinglegend
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 22, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Writinglegend » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:42 pm

Congratulations Pallaith on the electoral victory. Best of luck with the second term! :hug:
10x President of Europeia

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:16 am

Congratulations on your electoral victory in the oldest and proudest GCR democracy! I look forward to working with you in WALL!
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Syberis
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Syberis » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Hail, TNP. Hail Pallaith.

Osiris congratulates you on your victory and wishes you a strong and prosperous term. I can't wait to see what TNP will do in the coming months.
I've finally found what I was looking for
A place where I can be without remorse
Because I am a stranger who has found
An even stranger war

Zaolat wrote:WHO THE F*** IS SYBERIS

Davelands
Envoy

Founded: Jan 13, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Davelands » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:53 pm

Congratulations Pallaith!!! Great to have you around for another term!
The Don of The Family NS and the CEO of The Sportsbook
The West Pacific - Former Delegate, Guardian, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Minister of Internal Affairs
The East Pacific - Former Minister of Regional Affairs, Provost, Magister, and Minister of Foreign Affairs
Banned/PNG/Proscribed/Pick-Your-Synonym from: Osiris, The East Pacific, The Pacific, The South Pacific, and others (if I'm banned from your region, let me know and I'll add you to the list)
Author of the record setting SC proposal "Condemn Nations Creating Regions For SC Props"

As always: Freaking Adorable

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay