NATION

PASSWORD

The NationStates Republic Alliance

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
NS Republic Alliance
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

The NationStates Republic Alliance

Postby NS Republic Alliance » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:28 pm

(fyi mods: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=203609&hilit=lock+request)

What is the NationStates Republic Alliance?

The NationStates Republic Alliance (NRA, previously NSR) is a free association of regions who have chosen to support each other and work together in mutual interest. It was the brainchild of PunkDaddy and The West Pacific, and started in early 2011.

What are the benefits of joining?

All allied regions are able to make use of the treaties passed by the House of Lords, our legislature. They also honor a commitment to help defend each other if needed.

More specifically, when an allied region asks for aid, a news bulletin is sent out to each NS Republic Outpost on every ally's forum. Then, individuals come together from across the Republic to help. Examples include recruiting, boosting forum activity, and technical expertise.

Also, the Republic Volunteer Coalition is the NATO-like military organization that is available to help our regions learn to work together. It's primary mission is to defend the Republic, then to punish our enemies. It holds practice missions and has resources, like guides, available.

What are the requirements?

Not much. Each ally ratifies the Constitution, and must obey the Bill of Rights that is in it. Notably, it grants free speech, religion, and association; national sovereignty; mandates a means of redress in cases of banjection; and protection from abuses of power. More importantly, it guarantees sovereignty over Domestic Affairs for allied regions.

The full Constitution can be found here.

Who is a member?

All allied regions and officers are listed here.

What is the Military stance of the Republic?

The NRA is neither defender or raider. It is staunchly neutral. It's regions, however, are free to decide for themselves, and even work against each other.

The Republic Volunteer Coalition will never invade a region unless it has seriously provoked a member region, or if it is a practice mission in a Warzone. All missions must be approved by the President of the NS Republic, then continuing the mission must be approved by the House of Lords.

What about...?

Feel free to ask any questions below!

Feux
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Feux » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Does everyone have a great graphics team but me? :p

And this has always been a very interesting idea. This alliance has been around for awhile now, but I have noticed it has had a real boost in activity lately. Any real reason?
Last edited by Feux on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Always Changing Shapes
TheBestDudeInHistory wrote:Feux is what would happen if I had my shitposting physically removed, isolated, and permitted to become sentient on its own. And I mean that in the best way possible. Clearly I need to marry Feux.

People United Together II
Secretary

Founded: Apr 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby People United Together II » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:05 pm

I'll pass the compliment onto the artist

answer: the awesome people who make-up our alliance, of course

They just have brilliant ideas and I'm lucky enough to be around to participate.
President of the NationStates Republic Alliance

McMasterdonia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 19, 2012
Mother Knows Best State

Postby McMasterdonia » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:26 am

People United Together II wrote:I'll pass the compliment onto the artist

They just have brilliant ideas and I'm lucky enough to be around to participate.

Doesn't answer the question really. The Alliance has stood for a long time, why have things suddenly picked up activity wise? Is it the change of leadership?

Beyond existing, the Republic was not particularly active at least internationally speaking.

Gaveo
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaveo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:29 am

Can we join?
Bruh.

Feux
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Feux » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:29 am

McMasterdonia wrote:

Doesn't answer the question really. The Alliance has stood for a long time, why have things suddenly picked up activity wise? Is it the change of leadership?

Beyond existing, the Republic was not particularly active at least internationally speaking.

McMasterdonia is correct. Also, if I remember correctly, wasn't The West Pacific's Delegate given the presidential seat of the alliance by default once? Without an election by the House of Lords. I could be mistaken.
Last edited by Feux on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Always Changing Shapes
TheBestDudeInHistory wrote:Feux is what would happen if I had my shitposting physically removed, isolated, and permitted to become sentient on its own. And I mean that in the best way possible. Clearly I need to marry Feux.

The Laurentian Empire
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Laurentian Empire » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:57 am

Yes, I have a few questions pertaining to the constitution, and the legislation passed by The House of Lords.

Where can I see a codex of all the legislation passed by the House of Lords along with seeing what they've passed directly? I was looking around the forum, and I couldn't find such a thing.

The constitution grants nations the right to be protected against the abuse of powers by any government official. Does this mean within the confines of the region's law or by the standards of the NSR? Also, when nations are charged with criminal activity as expressed within Article 1(7), does this also count the potential nation's account within a forum? If so, then are they judged based upon the Tribunal's criteria of what law is or the region in question's criteria?

People United Together II
Secretary

Founded: Apr 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby People United Together II » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:16 am

Gaveo wrote:Can we join?

Absolutely! I will send you a TG in a moment. These conditions will soon change, but an interested region only has to ratify the Constitution then talk to me in order to join. The Bill of Rights will become binding in that region, but who doesn't want freedom of speech?

Feux wrote:
McMasterdonia wrote:

McMasterdonia is correct. Also, if I remember correctly, wasn't The West Pacific's Delegate given the presidential seat of the alliance by default once? Without an election by the House of Lords. I could be mistaken.

It was all a matter of getting those awesome people I mentioned onto the forum. The inaugural president, Enlightened Defenders, and others from TWP decided to move the headquarters to a separate forum, so it was their work that got the Republic on its feet.

Since then, it has been easier for allied regions to communicate and brainstorm ideas. Communication has been key.

The Constitution was written by representatives from many regions, so they were the ones who wanted TWP's Delegate to be the first president. When it was time to hold elections, there were no candidates from TWP--otherwise, I wouldn't have been hired.

The Laurentian Empire wrote:Yes, I have a few questions pertaining to the constitution, and the legislation passed by The House of Lords.

Where can I see a codex of all the legislation passed by the House of Lords along with seeing what they've passed directly? I was looking around the forum, and I couldn't find such a thing.

The constitution grants nations the right to be protected against the abuse of powers by any government official. Does this mean within the confines of the region's law or by the standards of the NSR? Also, when nations are charged with criminal activity as expressed within Article 1(7), does this also count the potential nation's account within a forum? If so, then are they judged based upon the Tribunal's criteria of what law is or the region in question's criteria?

You need to register in order to see more than the welcome wagon, but we have not passed any laws. So far, allied regions have been posting requests and we have been answering them.

Only our Chief Justice can answer this officially, but unofficially: a nation chooses what region to join, so "protection from abuse of power" means the standards of that region. If it is an absolute monarch, then that there is no restraint on power. (Note: there are not absolute monarchs in the NRA.) However, the Republic will help any nation find a new region that asks--we serve the people.

Again, the Chief Justice decides, but it would be based upon what that nation did within the Republic, not their region. If a region infringes its nations rights, we would play it by ear. We would first ascertain the truth, then confront the transgressor(s). A public warning would be issued, then an ultimatum. If they continue, then that region would be forced out of the House of Lords until it complies.
President of the NationStates Republic Alliance

Punk Daddy
Envoy

Founded: May 08, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Daddy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:15 pm

McMasterdonia wrote:

McM, yes the NSR did not take an active lead internationally over the past year, however, internally (between member regions) there has always been activity of some kind. The concept I had for the NSR, an association of independent regions, was changed several months ago when ED was able to pass a new Constitution which split the NSR and its member regions from one another, effectively making it an alliance and not a Republic. Much of the questions people had about the NSR are moot at this point, no delegate impositions, no voting bloc, etc, it's more of a standard alliance that has a number of notable regions.

As for the President being the delegate of TWP, yes that was true. However, when ED changed the Constitution and structure of the NSR that also changed. I believe the Constitution is set up so that a region is chosen as the capital and then from among the members of that region's House of Lord's membership a President is selected. Atriegas won the most recent election and PUT was selected as President.

Essentially, this is not last year's Republic. It's an evolved alliance that evolved to meet the demands of member regions in the hopes of getting more regions to join and cooperate. On that front, I believe the alliance has been successful and will continue to be so. I believe PUT is looking to reintroduce the alliance to the NS World. Venturing to our forum would be the best way to get to know us fo' sure. :)

One final note - the NSR is not Punk Daddy and Punk Daddy is not the alliance. I founded the alliance sure, but its evolution has been the decision of the many who have put time into this thing. I'm glad to see the NSR still thriving and it looks to be about to burst forth onto the world stage, but make no mistake I'm just a cog in the wheel of this alliance and it is much bigger than any one person.
Last edited by Punk Daddy on Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man, the myth, the legend.

McMasterdonia
Diplomat

Mother Knows Best State

Postby McMasterdonia » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanks for your answer Punk Daddy. It is good to see the alliance growing stronger and becoming more active. Does this alliance plan to become more engaged with the other GCR regions?

Other than informal communication with ED when he was Delegate, it is my experience that TWP does not seem to engage with the other GCRs often - and does not appear to be active in many of it's embassies. I know us in the North would like to hear from the west some more.

Feux
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Feux » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:00 pm

McMasterdonia wrote:Thanks for your answer Punk Daddy. It is good to see the alliance growing stronger and becoming more active. Does this alliance plan to become more engaged with the other GCR regions?

Other than informal communication with ED when he was Delegate, it is my experience that TWP does not seem to engage with the other GCRs often - and does not appear to be active in many of it's embassies. I know us in the North would like to hear from the west some more.

If we hear from TWP, will it be in the form of the alliance or TWP?
Last edited by Feux on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Changing Shapes

Charles Cerebella
Envoy

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Charles Cerebella » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:57 am

I must say I view large interregional organisations like this with a wary eye, especially those that seem to take over so much of a region's sovereignty (though that may be a mistaken impression not having read through all of the relevant documents). Nevertheless I look forward to seeing how this develops in future.
Charles Cerebella

King of Albion

People United Together
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby People United Together » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:38 am

Charles Cerebella wrote:I must say I view large interregional organisations like this with a wary eye, especially those that seem to take over so much of a region's sovereignty (though that may be a mistaken impression not having read through all of the relevant documents). Nevertheless I look forward to seeing how this develops in future.

The NRA is an alliance, not a super region. It does NOT infringe sovereignty. When regions join, they agree to a Bill of Rights, that is all.

The NRA makes treaties through its body of representatives. Then, each region is free to pick which treaties to take part in.

@Feux, the TWP is only one of 18 member regions, how could they use the NRA to communicate with you? If you have a question for TWP, I'm sure you could get a better answer by TGing Yy4u.

@McM, the NRA is focused internally at the moment, so we will expand foreign affairs, including in the GCRs, when we have the resources.
Put, an impertinent nobody.

Repeal SC#109

McMasterdonia
Diplomat

Mother Knows Best State

Postby McMasterdonia » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:09 am

Again.

So you are saying in response to Feux's question that when TWP communicates with other regions, it is speaking as an independent member of the NRA and that it's actions and words do not speak for the NRA as a whole?
Lastly when the NRA does communicate with other regions, will it apply directly for it's own independent embassy, or will it operate within the confines of another embassy.. if so, what region will represent the NRA in foreign affairs in the coming few months, will this change?
I understand that it is a multiregional alliance, however other regions should know that when communicating or forming alliances directly with certain regions, particularly TWP, will all members of the alliance be privy to these discussions and other alliances fromed independently.

Punk Daddy
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Daddy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:47 am

McM (and the larger NS World),

The NationStates Republic of October 2012 is much different than the NationStates Republic of early 2011.

PUT is correct in that TWP is but one of 18 member regions and holds no greater standing among individual members. Presently, the admin team of our forums is made up of myself, Tweedy, Enlightened Defenders, and the current President - in this case PUT. That's a function of TWP starting the alliance and TWP driving the recent resurgence that PUT is now seeking to continue and expand.

But...and this is a big but...there are no longer any regional sovereignty issues. The NSR is not even a military alliance any longer. At present it is best to say that it is a cultural alliance of like-minded regions that wish to associate with one another. That isn't to say that the alliance has not worked together within the various regions, but there is no legal requirement to do so as there was in the past.

The alliance does not speak for TWP or vice versa, does not speak for Region Inc, and does not speak for any regions that are associated with the alliance. So, the alliance really only speaks for itself now and not any one particular region.

As for embassies throughout the NSVerse, the NSR has opened 'outposts' in a number of regions to post NSR related updates. The NSR and its member regions are no longer one in the same and the NSR today truly functions as a multi-regional alliance.
Last edited by Punk Daddy on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ambassador of PUT
Secretary

Founded: Oct 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ambassador of PUT » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:09 pm

Punk Daddy wrote:That's a function of TWP starting the alliance and TWP driving the recent resurgence that PUT is now seeking to continue and expand.

Not true, PD has been inactive and doesn't know what he's talking about. Just ask ED, the former president. At the time of my election, it was August, so everyone subsequently left for school. Now our members are back, and I've been frantically contacting them.

Even before then, the "resurgence" he is referring to was created by a certain messenger that TGed the delegates and founders of member regions and brought them to the new forum. The resurgence was thus the work of the Alliance, and not TWP as PD incorrectly believes.

Punk Daddy wrote:The NSR is not even a military alliance any longer.

Also not true. As you can seen in Warzone Africa, we do function as a mutual defense and training alliance.

Punk Daddy wrote:The alliance does not speak for TWP or vice versa, does not speak for Region Inc, and does not speak for any regions that are associated with the alliance. So, the alliance really only speaks for itself now and not any one particular region.

Correct, the Republic has treaties its members create, and thus these treaties direct the officers and activities of the Republic.

Punk Daddy wrote:As for embassies throughout the NSVerse, the NSR has opened 'outposts' in a number of regions to post NSR related updates.

Those outposts exist in member regions only. Again, our current focus is internal as we build our alliance together.
Last edited by Ambassador of PUT on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People United Together, Est. Feb 16, 2009

Feux
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Feux » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:04 pm

McMasterdonia wrote:Again.

So you are saying in response to Feux's question that when TWP communicates with other regions, it is speaking as an independent member of the NRA and that it's actions and words do not speak for the NRA as a whole?
Lastly when the NRA does communicate with other regions, will it apply directly for it's own independent embassy, or will it operate within the confines of another embassy.. if so, what region will represent the NRA in foreign affairs in the coming few months, will this change?
I understand that it is a multiregional alliance, however other regions should know that when communicating or forming alliances directly with certain regions, particularly TWP, will all members of the alliance be privy to these discussions and other alliances fromed independently.

Thanks Mcmasterdonia. You should follow me to every thread I post in. :p
Last edited by Feux on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Always Changing Shapes

Punk Daddy
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Daddy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:35 pm

Ambassador of PUT wrote:
Punk Daddy wrote:That's a function of TWP starting the alliance and TWP driving the recent resurgence that PUT is now seeking to continue and expand.

Not true, PD has been inactive and doesn't know what he's talking about.

If by inactive you mean active and participating, well yes I've been inactive for quite some time. :p

And if I had a nickel for every time someone said PD "doesn't know what he's talking about" I'd be a moderately rich man. :)

I think you may be confusing a couple of issues PUT. My comment starting with "that's a function" was about TWP having 3 of the 4 admins on our forums. I'm not sure what you are saying is untrue about that statement. It is true that because TWP was leading the alliance that when the forums were created, the admins pretty much came from TWP. There is nothing untrue about that statement.

As for the military, indeed the military portion was kept when ED made his constitutional changes and so I am wrong on that point. I just rechecked the current Constitution and thought, erroneously, that the military had been removed and that the Republic military was just an informal crew than a formal one.

This much is clear, the NSR is going through a transitional phase and we are experiencing a lot of activity and growth. If regions are looking to help shape the future of the alliance and get involved, I believe now is a great time.

If for nothing else, you can see by the exchange between myself and PUT that we welcome all and diverging ideas for the betterment of all.

McMasterdonia
Diplomat

Mother Knows Best State

Postby McMasterdonia » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Feux wrote:.....

Thanks Mcmasterdonia. You should follow me to every thread I post in. :p

Not a problem Feux :P I was interested in the same thing and wanted to be clear we were getting answers.

Thanks Punk Daddy, your answer actually cleared it up quite a lot.

Ambassador of PUT
Secretary

Founded: Oct 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ambassador of PUT » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:52 am

Ya, thanks PD, I'm glad we have so many perspectives.
People United Together, Est. Feb 16, 2009

Super-Llamaland
Senator

Founded: Jan 11, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Super-Llamaland » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:21 pm

On behalf of Oceanside, currently a democratic region of twenty, I sign up for the NSRA.

Super-Llamaland
Minister of External Diplomacy, Oceanside
The Eighth Llamanean Republic
Capital: New Llama City, Population: ~56,000,000
5x World Baseball Classic champion (28, 30, 31, 40, 42)
Yue Zhou • Savigliane

Famicon
Bureaucrat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Famicon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:41 am

Oh my, the guys that tried to raid my former puppet dump even though it had an active founder are moving onto the international stage...
I Took The Oath: UDL

Property of Campinia

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:19 am

I like this, actually.

Feux
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Feux » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:58 am

Famicon wrote:Oh my, the guys that tried to raid my former puppet dump even though it had an active founder are moving onto the international stage...

What?
Always Changing Shapes

Soviet Canuckistan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Canuckistan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:57 am

The Region of Minecraftia would like to join
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay