NATION

PASSWORD

What happened to the invasions we use to love?

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Galiantus
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:33 pm

:clap:

I am with you there. Gameplay needs to become a larger part of NS again.
Last objected by The World Assembly on Wednesday, August 1, 2012, objected 400 times in total.
Benjamin Franklin wrote:"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch."
Ballotonia wrote:Testing is for sissies. The actual test is to see how many people complain when any change is made ;)

On NationStates, We are the Good Guys:Aretist NatSovs

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Belschaft wrote:What Mahaj was referring to, I think, is the fact that the R/D game is currently balanced somewhat in favour of raiders, and that even the majority of raiders acknowledge that fact. Your pretty much the only person arguing that it is balanced in favour of defenders.

I'm not sure it's "balanced" in favor of anyone, so much as that we've wound up in a situation where certain tactics have become more viable while others have been restricted, mostly by accident. There are particular types of raiding we've actively tried to curb, such as invaders dropping a password lock on an older region of neutrals, but aside from that, the big changes have mostly come as byproducts of something else: easy access to region order via the new API plus a hardware upgrade for the game server making update times more predictable. This encourages a particular type of raiding (and defending), but it's not by design and it's not really balanced. I'm not even sure it's useful to talk about a "balance" between invaders and defenders, since those are two disparate groups. If you like stealth-raiding, for example, the fact that tag-raiding has become more viable doesn't help you.

Kogvuron
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kogvuron » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:08 pm

[violet] wrote:If you like stealth-raiding, for example, the fact that tag-raiding has become more viable doesn't help you.
I disagree on this. The rise in tag-raiding places more focus on tag-raiding which allows more stealth raids to slip under the radar of defenders.
"It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul. " - William Ernest Henley

"Cowards die many times before their deaths,
The valiant never taste of death but once." - Julius Caesar

Jamie Anumia
Senator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamie Anumia » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Kogvuron wrote:
[violet] wrote:If you like stealth-raiding, for example, the fact that tag-raiding has become more viable doesn't help you.
I disagree on this. The rise in tag-raiding places more focus on tag-raiding which allows more stealth raids to slip under the radar of defenders.

That depends if you focus on defending and spotting against tag raids or general raids. If you do the latter, sleepers and stealth raids would be caught more, one would think.

Frattastan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Kogvuron wrote:

I don't think "stealth raids" slip under the radar more often.
I caught Feuer swapping in European Union a few weeks ago, for example. :P
San Francisco Bay Area (forum) | Founderless Regions Alliance (FRA) | Rejected Realms Army (RRA)

Drop Your Pants wrote:I think raiders are cute, the way they think they're big and scary people who threaten others :)

Eist
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Frattastan wrote:
Kogvuron wrote:I disagree on this. The rise in tag-raiding places more focus on tag-raiding which allows more stealth raids to slip under the radar of defenders.

With a dirty puppet...
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

Frattastan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:27 am

Eist wrote:
Frattastan wrote:

With a dirty puppet...

Maybe he forgot that invading requires effort. :(
San Francisco Bay Area (forum) | Founderless Regions Alliance (FRA) | Rejected Realms Army (RRA)

Drop Your Pants wrote:I think raiders are cute, the way they think they're big and scary people who threaten others :)

Andacantra
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:57 am

I think, that on some further thought, it's not the big stealthy -major- raids that we all miss - they were infrequent before, and are infrequent now. It's the smaller scale, shorter holds, smaller but still -held- raids. We've got plenty of both extremes - of the tags and of the massive "flagship" (for want of a better word) raids, and very very little inbetween. I think that -that's- what's missing from raiding in general - sure, I do it, but I'm preeeetty much the only person doing it right now. And the lack of those boils down to raiders feeling the need to pile, and not wishing to pile on a raid when they could be putting greater effort in elsewhere into some major raid (also, few updaters and lots of non-updaters never looks good).
Abbey
Chief Kitty of the Cat Burglars
Bi-gameplayers: Raiding and defending because both are fun and ok
Nationstates Issues **SPOILER ALERT**

Tramiar
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tramiar » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:20 am

Andacantra wrote: (also, few updaters and lots of non-updaters never looks good).

I'd rather have everyone be updaters too. But I love our non-updaters too. Not that TBH generally has many of those. :P

Anyway, TBH was having those smaller regions that we just held for a day or so when we were tagging more often. They were just ignored or considered tags like the rest. So it hasn't been non-existant, and you aren't the only one who does them. Unless you mean in the last couple months or so, in which case, I can't say I've been around enough to notice if other groups have been doing it or not.
Mallorea and Riva wrote:I too would ban myself if I saw me moving into my region.

Tramiar: *causes great injustices to natives and fenda-kind*
Spartzy: *prevents great injustices*
Tramiar: too late, they were already caused.
Spartzy: *stops great injustices*
Tramiar: *causes greater injustices, cannot be fixed until next update*
Spartzy: *quits the game*

Ora Amaris
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ora Amaris » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:50 pm

I dunno, the invasion of Hippiedom seems to be gathering a large amount of praise.
I see invasions/defending more annoying than anything.
Let beauty and creativity reign throughout the universe,
Preserve the sublime equilibrium of nature,
Find enlightenment through the doors of perception,
An it harm none, do what thou wilt,
Respect yourself, respect all life, celebrate oneness with the universe.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
Factbook Entry

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay