NATION

PASSWORD

Christmas - A proposal

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Christmas - A proposal

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:45 pm

As a lot of you are aware the region Christmas has gone through some upheaval recently. TITO have deployed at the request of a Native to clean up the region. This means invaders still in region after 24 hours will be banned.
I have a proposal about the region I would like some discussion on. Most of the year the region is fairly inactive but has dedicated nations that remain throughout the year.
I would like Christmas to be the one founderless region we all agree to not use as a battle ground.
It would be nice if we can all agree that Christmas is the one place we agree not to try to kill each other.
It is very rare that everyone can work together. We saw it can be done with the latest April fools prank where a great deal of NS were united. Christmas could be the one place that we can be civil and co-exist.
I realize not everyone reads Gamplay however the bigger players do. Certainly the R/D players look in now and then.

It would require the major invaders to give support as well as defenders.
Wordy, EX-TITO Field Commander.
Now just ornamental.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Weed
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Capitalizt

Postby Weed » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:18 pm

Sichuan Pepper wrote:It would require the major invaders to give support as well as defenders.

Not really, the invaders alone choose the battlegrounds in this game.

Not saying I disagree with your suggestion, I think it's an interesting idea.
I prefer not to be called that
Ex-Defender
Former WASC Author
----V----
Weed
LIVE FREE

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:25 pm

I think Defenders would need to not be antagonistic if known invaders move in.
Normally I am fairly quick to jump if I spot invaders moving into a founderless region. In this case if enough people agreed then I would have no need to deploy.
It works both ways. Defenders may not choose the region but we are reactive.
Now just ornamental.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Weed
Diplomat

Capitalizt

Postby Weed » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:32 pm

I suppose that makes sense. :P
Ex-Defender
Former WASC Author
----V----
Weed
LIVE FREE

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:27 am

Absolutely not, Wordy. Last thing we need is one more crappy global treaty-initiative that everyone can just opt out of anyway.

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:31 am

:rolls eyes:

Even at Christmas you cannot even pretend to be nice Klaus :P
Hmm Santa...what was his last name?

Anyway back on topic. If no one agrees then there will be no place to share a Christmas drink at the very least. At least I put it out there for discussion.
Now just ornamental.

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:52 am

Sichuan Pepper wrote::rolls eyes:

Even at Christmas you cannot even pretend to be nice Klaus :P

I put my point out there. Informal, nobody will bother with it. Formal, some people won't bother getting on board, and some people will want to expand it. Don't even waste your time trying, you won't like the finished product because it will be ineffective.

Sichuan Pepper wrote:If no one agrees then there will be no place to share a Christmas drink at the very least. At least I put it out there for discussion.

Sure we won't.

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:30 am

Well it would have to be an informal thing in my opinion. *shrugs*
The region seems to come under invasion twice a year and the rest of the time is largely ignored. I wonder how much hardship it would cause to not invade it?
The thread you linked is under supervision. We have to play nice there or face the consequences the mods hand out.

In a founderless region it is far less policed and if someone wants to be a jerk they can and will be. I guess I will wait and see if anyone else finds this interesting or not.
Now just ornamental.

Kingborough
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kingborough » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:43 am

To be perfectly clear, I'm not speaking here as a member of the UDL, as the Internal Security Minister of the Karma Alliance or as the founder of Nysa and the Nysan Organization. This is my personal opinion and has nothing to do with the offices I hold, nor the opinions of those organizations.

Personally I think this is a good idea; Christmas is a special region, and shouldn't be subjected to raiding. If NationStates could cooperate on this matter, it would be great. However, I'm wary of hoping that they can.
Founder of Nysa

Weed
Diplomat

Capitalizt

Postby Weed » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:47 am

I seem to recall this region was raided on December 24th either last year or the year before? :p
Ex-Defender
Former WASC Author
----V----
Weed
LIVE FREE

Letoilenoir
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Letoilenoir » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:57 am

We will donate all oof our share issue to the charity fund to save christmas
KEEP THE BLOOD CAVE FREE

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:00 am

Letoilenoir wrote:We will donate all oof our share issue to the charity fund to save christmas

This isn't a roleplay thread :P

I like the idea Wordy but you'll never get every raider group to agree.
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Everbeek
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Everbeek » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:04 am

Drop Your Pants wrote:
Letoilenoir wrote:We will donate all oof our share issue to the charity fund to save christmas

This isn't a roleplay thread :P

I like the idea Wordy but you'll never get every any raider group to agree.
The Awesomeness Formerly Known As Campinia
Cromarty wrote:Antifa, the Internationale and the Red Fleet are encased in the largest glass house in existence, and they're not throwing stones, they're firing boulders from catapults.

Big Jim P wrote:
Everbeek wrote:I never say "for god's sake", I always say "for fuck's sake", for the rest I don't care much

Fucking created most of us, so fucking IS god.

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:04 am

I can hope for a Christmas miracle :P
Now just ornamental.

Rachel Anumia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rachel Anumia » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:28 am

You likely couldn't even get the defenders to agree. With Liberate Christmas, there were defenders who voted for it on the basis that it was a well known battleground.

I just don't see why the region Christmas is that special. Firstly, I don't feel a name in itself is -that- special. Secondly, even if you do feel that way, I still don't feel that Christmas is that important of an event to warrant it. Clearly, you likely wouldn't be pushing this forward as Christmas being a religious holiday and that's why we shouldn't raid it because that is more limited. So is it then the secular holiday of buying presents for each-other?

To me, that just isn't very special.
Two-Time President of Europeia
Self-Lighting Firework

Europeia, the Land of Peace, Freedom and Equality .

Jamie Anumia
Senator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamie Anumia » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:35 am

Rachel Anumia wrote:You likely couldn't even get the defenders to agree. With Liberate Christmas, there were defenders who voted for it on the basis that it was a well known battleground.

I just don't see why the region Christmas is that special. Firstly, I don't feel a name in itself is -that- special. Secondly, even if you do feel that way, I still don't feel that Christmas is that important of an event to warrant it. Clearly, you likely wouldn't be pushing this forward as Christmas being a religious holiday and that's why we shouldn't raid it because that is more limited. So is it then the secular holiday of buying presents for each-other?

To me, that just isn't very special.

This is mostly what I was thinking. I don't get why this one region is so special.

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:48 am

Sichuan Pepper wrote:I can hope for a Christmas miracle :P

"GUYS, IF WE ALL GET TOGETHER AND SING A CAROL, OUR COMBINED CHRISTMAS SPIRIT AND CHEER WILL SURELY LIGHT THE WAY FOR ALL REGIONS TO COME TOGETHER IN UNITY AND GOOD FAITH"

Thats what I'd be saying, but I know it won't work. I already tried to unite everyone through song at EoE's conference on how to deal with GGR. Didn't do squat. :/

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:57 am

Well I am not pushing it as a religious holiday. NS holds many religions.
There are no regions considered "off limits"or "shared" as far as I can see. Christmas is at the point not that special but it has the potential to be.
I could just as easy point to a warzone but it would not be the same. I would quite like to pause at least once in the year in one region and not be there to defend it.
It seems most of you do want to be the enemy every single day in every founderless region.

@ Klaus
You could make up new and special Christmas carols.

I actually thought it could be some fun without all the chasing, liberating, banning and cross endorsing. If no one wants to be in it then so be it.
Now just ornamental.

Rachel Anumia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rachel Anumia » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:00 am

Sichuan Pepper wrote:Well I am not pushing it as a religious holiday. NS holds many religions.
There are no regions considered "off limits"or "shared" as far as I can see. Christmas is at the point not that special but it has the potential to be.
I could just as easy point to a warzone but it would not be the same. I would quite like to pause at least once in the year in one region and not be there to defend it.
It seems most of you do want to be the enemy every single day in every founderless region.

@ Klaus

I actually thought it could be some fun without all the chasing, liberating, banning and cross endorsing. If no one wants to be in it then so be it.

Most raiders don't raid every single day, we have other stuff to do. Like sleep :P

I do like this conversation though.
Two-Time President of Europeia
Self-Lighting Firework

Europeia, the Land of Peace, Freedom and Equality .

Cormac Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac Stark » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:25 am

Although I would need to consult with our Keisair, I don't believe Asgard would agree to this for several reasons.

First, we agree that Christmas is a special region -- which is why we had hoped to refound it to prevent future invasions and to revitalize the region. That plan was rejected by the Security Council. As long as Christmas remains a founderless region, it is a region that is fair game for invasion. If defenders didn't like that, they should have supported our plan. We're not going to agree that a founderless region will be off limits for us when other raider regions and organizations will still invade it (as they have every right to do). And we certainly would not sign any kind of agreement or treaty that would require us to take action against our fellow raiders for invading Christmas.

Second, if defenders want Christmas to be a special region that is off limits for raiding and defending -- why have there been two, count them, two defender operations in the region since our withdrawal two days ago? First the UDL came in to suppress our posts on the RMB, the first posts that had been made in over five months. Now TITO is occupying the region to "unceremoniously" -- TITO's word -- eject and ban remaining raider units, most of whom are only still in the region because they haven't logged in and will likely cease to exist anyway. Given that you are one of the defender occupiers in Christmas right now, it seems hypocritical for you to suggest that Christmas should be off limits for raiding and defending while you're busy occupying the region for petty point-scoring.

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:38 am

Sichuan Pepper wrote:@ Klaus

Oh god

you just un-repressed a lot of memories. ._.

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:58 am

I'm not going to oppose anything that could help secure native communities, but I do think its a little weird to specify that an fairly important part of Christianity is protected as sacred ground, but Islamic regions have often been picked on, Islam, Islamic Republic of Iran, Region of reunited muslim states etc. and there wasn't even UDL-TITO cooperation to help those regions, let alone cooperation between defenders and raiders. :roll:
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Galiantus
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:07 am

Sorry, but I think the idea stinks. It is like Communism. It does not work unless everyone agrees to it, which will never happen.

How about this:
We repeal the liberation.
Asgard and some defenders both move into the region and endorse someone who is neither Defender nor Invader.
That person places a password and refounds the region.
The new founder manages the region on their own, so that everyone may enjoy the region.

Cormac Stark wrote:Although I would need to consult with our Keisair, I don't believe Asgard would agree to this for several reasons.

First, we agree that Christmas is a special region -- which is why we had hoped to refound it to prevent future invasions and to revitalize the region. That plan was rejected by the Security Council. As long as Christmas remains a founderless region, it is a region that is fair game for invasion. If defenders didn't like that, they should have supported our plan. We're not going to agree that a founderless region will be off limits for us when other raider regions and organizations will still invade it (as they have every right to do). And we certainly would not sign any kind of agreement or treaty that would require us to take action against our fellow raiders for invading Christmas.

Second, if defenders want Christmas to be a special region that is off limits for raiding and defending -- why have there been two, count them, two defender operations in the region since our withdrawal two days ago? First the UDL came in to suppress our posts on the RMB, the first posts that had been made in over five months. Now TITO is occupying the region to "unceremoniously" -- TITO's word -- eject and ban remaining raider units, most of whom are only still in the region because they haven't logged in and will likely cease to exist anyway. Given that you are one of the defender occupiers in Christmas right now, it seems hypocritical for you to suggest that Christmas should be off limits for raiding and defending while you're busy occupying the region for petty point-scoring.

The only problem I ever had with this plan was that it was being done by an invader. However I would have had the same problem if a defender had done it. What I am more interested in is refounding Christmas (and frankly, all founderless regions) for two purposes:
1. To discourage invading.
2. To place more focus on regional culture.

I don't see what is wrong with that. Asgard was, in my oppinion, doing the right thing.
Last objected by The World Assembly on Wednesday, August 1, 2012, objected 400 times in total.
Benjamin Franklin wrote:"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch."
Ballotonia wrote:Testing is for sissies. The actual test is to see how many people complain when any change is made ;)

On NationStates, We are the Good Guys:Aretist NatSovs

Fynnbays
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fynnbays » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:13 am

Unibot II wrote:I do think its a little weird to specify that an fairly important part of Christianity is protected as sacred ground, but Islamic regions have often been picked on, Islam, Islamic Republic of Iran, Region of reunited muslim states etc.

Well In fairness on the RMBs of some of those regions there were some very homophobic comments, so, fair game. To the best of my Knowledge no hateful comments were on the RMB of Christmas.
P.S. That's not to say that if say a region called "WBC Rules" were set up and people posted "yeh i hate dose filtheh fags" that, that wouldn't be fair game. It would be.
The People's Republic of Fynnbays
Field Marshall of the People's Army
Co-author of The Constitution of UNAF
Pretty friendly
Won silver medal for backcrawl in the Gateshead Swimming Gala 2007

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:53 am

Well In fairness on the RMBs of some of those regions there were some very homophobic comments, so, fair game. To the best of my Knowledge no hateful comments were on the RMB of Christmas.

If you see hateful comments you should submit a GHR request, not say they're fair game because of this, this and this :P
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay