NATION

PASSWORD

Flag advice super thread

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:14 pm

The Sherpa Empire wrote:People say my flag looks like a rug too. Rug flag master race! :p

Not gonna lie, saw this thread appear in "Latest Forum Topics" and I had to click it to see if you were the OP. :p

La Xinga: In a way, but not really, in my opinion.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Amethyst Panther
Civilian

Founded: Aug 02, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Amethyst Panther » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:14 pm

Yes, and it really tied the room together.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:16 pm

Not going to lie, it does look Like a shag carpet Rug from the 70's
Than again one day all flags will be sewed from old trash so it's great in comparison especially to some of my older flags
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Furghas
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 10, 2020
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Furghas » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:18 pm

yes

ByenNordVest
Secretary

Founded: Dec 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby ByenNordVest » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:46 am

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:
ByenNordVest wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions about what could be done woth my flag to make it more nordic looking? Im not that happy with the flag but don't know what to do with it

The main element for nordic nations is the nordic cross. If you turned the stripe into a cross, then centred the symbol in the top-left quadrant, I think that might do it.

Might look similar to norway but ill gove it a go

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:10 am

Cassadaigua wrote:
The Sherpa Empire wrote:People say my flag looks like a rug too. Rug flag master race! :p

Not gonna lie, saw this thread appear in "Latest Forum Topics" and I had to click it to see if you were the OP. :p

ditto
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Maccian
Attaché

Founded: Dec 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Maccian » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:23 pm

Hey, are there any improvements that could be made on my flag?
Yeah I'm a Yeagerist, what you gonna do about it?

What'd you expect?

Seriously, who is behind these damn AQA questions?
Currently failing maths :D

New Solaurora
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Solaurora » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:19 pm

Maccian wrote:Hey, are there any improvements that could be made on my flag?

Honestly it really depends on what you're going for. If you're going for medieval kingdom then you aced it. If you're going for something a bit more modern then putting it in a blazon might help.
---------
New Solaurora
---------

Ravennog
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravennog » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi all, I'd like some advice on my current flag. Any feedback will be appreciated; thank you very much! ^^
☆∞☆ THE RAVENNOGAN REPUBLIC ☆∞☆
‎‎‎‎‎Arbejdere i verden, forenes!
Ravennog was a Danish colony with high ambitions since its independence on October 24th, 1817.
OOC: A staunchly introverted 14-year-old teenager who likes food a lot.
Since a signature can't have more than eight lines, I'll spit everything out right here. Please be sure to stay home - and wear a mask and stay six feet apart if you're going out somewhere. Please don't be a selfish fuck and claim you "have the right" to not wear a mask - or say that God has you covered. Don't be an idiot, 'kay? Thanks! Stop embracing anti-science and anti-intellectualism. The world doesn't need to go into the shitter since you're stupid and selfish.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:26 pm

The wolf(?) is hard to make out, largely because the black and red do not provide much contrast. Some internal detail might also help.

There are various options for recolouring. A plain white field would work well. If you want to retain the red, then simply flipping the colours would give more prominence to the head (which is the more important half for identification, I'd say). You could also consider white-red-white with a thin central stripe, or a division by saltire with the top and bottom red. Coming back to the white field idea, you could add some thin stripes at either end, or a red border.

If you want to maintain the current field colouring, then I would suggest adding a white outline to the wolf.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:30 pm

Ravennog wrote:Hi all, I'd like some advice on my current flag. Any feedback will be appreciated; thank you very much! ^^

I think that flag would be very recognizable, which makes it a good flag.

The only minor point is that the shade of blue used is unusual - a darker and more saturated shade is more common. I think it works well in this context, though.

Overall, I would stick with it.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:34 pm

ByenNordVest wrote:Might look similar to norway but ill gove it a go

A lot of RL countries have quite similar flags. I think the symbol is enough to be clear.

One option for further differentiation would be to change the 2nd and 3rd quadrants to white (or blue).

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:24 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to get some people’s thoughts on a flag design I had in mind. I plan to use the Italian flag linked here as the base, with alternating colours in the corners and a coat of arms or seal in the centre. Versilia is the result of English and French colonisation in the Pacific Ocean but has since developed its own unique identity, and is now a melting pot of Eastern and Western traditions. Its ruling class is dominated by vampires and mages, but social mobility is a thing and it is a free democracy.

I was thinking of using teal and or ochre red, but now I’m unsure. I could use jet or vampire black and burgundy red or royal red as its alternating colours, or something else that represents it. Keep in mind Versilia is a nominally non-Christian nation, has both tropical and Hokkaido-like climates and landscapes, and prides itself on its own national identity and achievements.

Thank you.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.
Rate me as Prime Minister

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:21 pm

I like your current ocean wave design.

For a vampire/mage symbol I would suggest a pentagram, black on white, with the inner points (but not the centre) coloured bright red. Replace the current implements with that, move the teal towards green and the blue towards navy and I think that would work.

Kaedijork
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaedijork » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:26 pm

Hey! So I've chucked this CoA on the tricolour in an attempt to sort of recreate the vibe of the Second Spainish Republic, as this version of Kaedijork is going to be similar to that. However, there is an issue of tincture with the sun on top of the shield blending with the background. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to overcome this? :D
MY MAGNUM OPUS HISTORY FACTBOOK (a lil WIP still)

LORE OVERHAUL IN PROGRESS
Fellow mutts born from war rape and ethnocide Erm, surfer-bum Scandinavians a long way from home.
K A E D I W A V E (Yes I made a vapourwave for this nation)
Freedom and Rassenreinheit
✊ Nouveau Quebecois did nothing wrong ✊

OOC Views

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:57 am

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:I like your current ocean wave design.

For a vampire/mage symbol I would suggest a pentagram, black on white, with the inner points (but not the centre) coloured bright red. Replace the current implements with that, move the teal towards green and the blue towards navy and I think that would work.

I find sea green (#2E8B57) and US Air Force academy blue (#004F98) to be good colours. What do you think?
I have found a good pentacle.

Edit: If I go for a more gothic look with the flag I could use the red and black found on this flag in place of the green and blue, and on the pentacle.
Last edited by The Islands of Versilia on Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:48 am

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:

The wolf(?) is hard to make out, largely because the black and red do not provide much contrast. Some internal detail might also help.

For example, in heraldry the eye is often shown in the background colour while both the claws and a protruding tongue are shown in a contrasting colour which in this case (red & white background) would probably be blue.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:24 am

The Islands of Versilia wrote:
Almonaster Nuevo wrote:I like your current ocean wave design.

I find sea green (#2E8B57) and US Air Force academy blue (#004F98) to be good colours. What do you think?

Edit: If I go for a more gothic look with the flag I could use the red and black found on this flag in place of the green and blue, and on the pentacle.

The lines on the pentacle look far too thick to me.

As for the shades - if you look at RL flags, you will find that there is a lot of variation, even when there are official colours defined. In this case, I would suggest a more saturated green, and slightly brighter shades of both.

I would normally advise keeping it simple, but in this case the symbology dictates the colours. I wouldn't try to mix and match them.

What I had in mind was something like this...
but hey, it's your flag!
Last edited by Almonaster Nuevo on Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:38 am

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:
The Islands of Versilia wrote:

The lines on the pentacle look far too thick to me.

As for the shades - if you look at RL flags, you will find that there is a lot of variation, even when there are official colours defined. In this case, I would suggest a more saturated green, and slightly brighter shades of both.

I would normally advise keeping it simple, but in this case the symbology dictates the colours. I wouldn't try to mix and match them.

What I had in mind was something like this...
but hey, it's your flag!

I see, I see. I think I get what you mean, yeah. I’ll give it some thought, and thanks for the help, Almonaster ^^
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Ravennog
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravennog » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:49 pm

Hi, I've changed my flag again. ^^
Your feedback on it is appreciated. c:
☆∞☆ THE RAVENNOGAN REPUBLIC ☆∞☆
‎‎‎‎‎Arbejdere i verden, forenes!
Ravennog was a Danish colony with high ambitions since its independence on October 24th, 1817.
OOC: A staunchly introverted 14-year-old teenager who likes food a lot.
Since a signature can't have more than eight lines, I'll spit everything out right here. Please be sure to stay home - and wear a mask and stay six feet apart if you're going out somewhere. Please don't be a selfish fuck and claim you "have the right" to not wear a mask - or say that God has you covered. Don't be an idiot, 'kay? Thanks! Stop embracing anti-science and anti-intellectualism. The world doesn't need to go into the shitter since you're stupid and selfish.

Furghas
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 10, 2020
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Furghas » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:18 am

Tell me everything bad about my flag!
(just note im using tennessine so yeah)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:39 am

Furghas wrote:Tell me everything bad about my flag!
(just note im using tennessine so yeah)

It would benefit from a higher degree of contrast in colour/shade between the emblem and its background, or perhaps a dark line around the emblem to set them further apart.

Sint Wilhelmina
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Sint Wilhelmina » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:49 am

I would like to hear your criticism of my new flag, inspired by attempts to combine two entirely different flags. The idea was, for it to have a kind of Caribbean and Dutch feel to it, and I'd like to know how well I've succeeded in that field (I'm having second thoughts because I can't find evidence of swan activity in Jamaica. To that end, I'll just have to move my country's location further north, perhaps Vancouver island? But that wouldn't make much sense at all, would it? Alternatively, there is Taiwan ;) ).
Last edited by Sint Wilhelmina on Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:47 am, edited 5 times in total.

New Solaurora
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Solaurora » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:03 am

As far as caribbean flags go its hard to get a particular feel for what looks like one. Due to them having a variety of colonial origins there is plenty of variety in design and color. Personally to emphasize that it is an island nation I would use a nautical 5-point star or an anchor instead of a swan as very few live in the caribbean. If you want to keep the swan then I would recommend moving your nation to a higher latitude around Cascadia, Newfoundland and Labrador, the North Sea, the East Sea, the Sea of Okhotsk, or the Bering Sea.
---------
New Solaurora
---------

New Solaurora
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Solaurora » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:09 am

Ravennog wrote:Hi, I've changed my flag again. ^^
Your feedback on it is appreciated. c:

Good flag. I believe you are going for central asian which is historically Turkish and thus the crescent you included helps to convey this. The stars are a common enough symbol on flags that they don't detract from the overall meaning of the flag. I would however make them a tad bit smaller so that they don't seem like they're so crowded inside the crescent. As your nation is also communist I might also recommend adding some red in your flag. Perhaps a red bar on the hoist or fly of the flag.
---------
New Solaurora
---------

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay