NATION

PASSWORD

Flag advice super thread

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Volitopia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Volitopia » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:29 pm

(Feel free to take my advice for a grain of salt; I'm no professional)
New Delaire wrote:What's up guys? I've just finished my coat of arms and I'm somewhat iffy about the overall design now that is placed on my flag. So I'd like some feedback from you guys.

The coat of arms is quite nice (i.e. keep it), but I think the reason why it might seem a little "off" or "bland" even, is that your block of yellow color seems to kind of offset the flag, as it blends too well with the neighboring white.

Generally, I've seen 2 main kinds of flags: The ones that use contrast colors to stand out, and the ones that flow all their colors and designs in really well. (A mix is possible, but tricky to accomplish)

In the rest of your flag, there's a contrast between blue and white and blue and yellow, which you used well in your coat of arms as a "white substitute", if you will.

(WARNING: Guessing Ahead)
I'm not too sure how to fix it other than drop the yellow block and replace with blue, or use some rearrangement of the color strips.

However, if you liked the design without the coat of arms; you should definitely keep your current design as it is now. The coat fills space well and gives a focal point to the flag.
Last edited by Volitopia on Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mount Seymour
Envoy

Founded: Mar 25, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Mount Seymour » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:58 pm

New Delaire wrote:What's up guys? I've just finished my coat of arms and I'm somewhat iffy about the overall design now that is placed on my flag. So I'd like some feedback from you guys.

I must say, unless you're going for a very modern or "whoa, dude" type of flag, that's quite a nice, pleasing, and fitting flag for an RP-type nation. I wouldn't change a thing.
The Pacific Alpine Commonwealth of Mount Seymour
a.k.a. Somyrion, Aumeltopia
Security Council #212
Issue #640

New Delaire
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Delaire » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Volitopia wrote:(Feel free to take my advice for a grain of salt; I'm no professional)

The coat of arms is quite nice (i.e. keep it), but I think the reason why it might seem a little "off" or "bland" even, is that your block of yellow color seems to kind of offset the flag, as it blends too well with the neighboring white.

Generally, I've seen 2 main kinds of flags: The ones that use contrast colors to stand out, and the ones that flow all their colors and designs in really well. (A mix is possible, but tricky to accomplish)

In the rest of your flag, there's a contrast between blue and white and blue and yellow, which you used well in your coat of arms as a "white substitute", if you will.

(WARNING: Guessing Ahead)
I'm not too sure how to fix it other than drop the yellow block and replace with blue, or use some rearrangement of the color strips.

However, if you liked the design without the coat of arms; you should definitely keep your current design as it is now. The coat fills space well and gives a focal point to the flag.

Mount Seymour wrote:I must say, unless you're going for a very modern or "whoa, dude" type of flag, that's quite a nice, pleasing, and fitting flag for an RP-type nation. I wouldn't change a thing.

I'm glad you liked my design. Thanks for sharing your viewpoints guys, and I'll doubtlessly test Volitopia's suggestions just to see how it looks.

Agadar
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Is this thread still alive? If so, I'd love to receive feedback on my current flag. I'm content with it, but not ecstatic. There is room for improvement, I feel.
Proud resident of The Western Isles, the #1 role-playing region!
Developer of Telegrammer, NS API Java Wrapper, and more!

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:08 am

Agadar wrote:Is this thread still alive? If so, I'd love to receive feedback on my current flag. I'm content with it, but not ecstatic. There is room for improvement, I feel.

It's pleasing to the eye. What's the history behind the colors, etc?

--

Stumbled on this mini-seminar earlier and wanted to see if fellow flag makers felt the same regarding lettering, seals, etc on flags.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Agadar
Powerbroker

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:30 am

Cerillium wrote:
Agadar wrote:Is this thread still alive? If so, I'd love to receive feedback on my current flag. I'm content with it, but not ecstatic. There is room for improvement, I feel.

It's pleasing to the eye. What's the history behind the colors, etc?

--

Stumbled on this mini-seminar earlier and wanted to see if fellow flag makers felt the same regarding lettering, seals, etc on flags.

When I first went out to create a flag, I wanted it to have a phoenix on it, because phoenii are probably the coolest things to put on a flag besides dragons and lions. Found a pretty good .svg picture of an artsy looking phoenix. Phoenii are fire birds, so naturally I went with a red/yellow scheme. I'm not a fan of bright colors, and I wanted the flag to look royal, so I went with these rich, darker shades of red and yellow.

Later on I added the crown to symbolize the nation's monarchy, and again later on I added the cross in the background to symbolize its christian roots, something often seen in IRL flags as well.

I'm definitely going to give that video a view by the way.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:00 pm

For me, the cross and phoenix are fighting. A chevron would be a more harmonious background division.
I don't think the crown quite works either. You could do with a bit more contrast, too.

I'd suggest moving the cross and/or crown to the top left. Outline the cross in white. Then darken the red and lighten the phoenix slightly for better contrast.
If you keep the crown, try using a transparent base, rather than the block fill.

Pictures are clearer than words, so here's a mock-up.
Last edited by Almonaster Nuevo on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Agadar
Powerbroker

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:38 am

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:For me, the cross and phoenix are fighting. A chevron would be a more harmonious background division.
I don't think the crown quite works either. You could do with a bit more contrast, too.

I'd suggest moving the cross and/or crown to the top left. Outline the cross in white. Then darken the red and lighten the phoenix slightly for better contrast.
If you keep the crown, try using a transparent base, rather than the block fill.

Pictures are clearer than words, so here's a mock-up.
(Image)

I am going to very seriously consider the suggestions you've made. Thank you for the elaborate reply.

Mount Seymour
Envoy

Founded: Mar 25, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Mount Seymour » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:45 am

Cerillium wrote:Stumbled on this mini-seminar earlier and wanted to see if fellow flag makers felt the same regarding lettering, seals, etc on flags.

It's my motto and watchword of flag-design ;)

Agadar wrote:When I first went out to create a flag, I wanted it to have a phoenix on it, because phoenii are probably the coolest things to put on a flag besides dragons and lions. Found a pretty good .svg picture of an artsy looking phoenix. Phoenii are fire birds, so naturally I went with a red/yellow scheme. I'm not a fan of bright colors, and I wanted the flag to look royal, so I went with these rich, darker shades of red and yellow.

I think the flag is generally good, and the phoenix is a nice centerpiece, but I have seen that specific phoenix symbol in many other unrelated places-- I think it's one of those designs you find on Google and say "oh, look, this is really pretty, but it's sort of different, I bet I would look unique with this cool design" when in fact, everyone else thinks the exact same thing :P
The Pacific Alpine Commonwealth of Mount Seymour
a.k.a. Somyrion, Aumeltopia
Security Council #212
Issue #640

Agadar
Powerbroker

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:03 am

Mount Seymour wrote:
Cerillium wrote:Stumbled on this mini-seminar earlier and wanted to see if fellow flag makers felt the same regarding lettering, seals, etc on flags.

It's my motto and watchword of flag-design ;)

Agadar wrote:When I first went out to create a flag, I wanted it to have a phoenix on it, because phoenii are probably the coolest things to put on a flag besides dragons and lions. Found a pretty good .svg picture of an artsy looking phoenix. Phoenii are fire birds, so naturally I went with a red/yellow scheme. I'm not a fan of bright colors, and I wanted the flag to look royal, so I went with these rich, darker shades of red and yellow.

I think the flag is generally good, and the phoenix is a nice centerpiece, but I have seen that specific phoenix symbol in many other unrelated places-- I think it's one of those designs you find on Google and say "oh, look, this is really pretty, but it's sort of different, I bet I would look unique with this cool design" when in fact, everyone else thinks the exact same thing :P

I'd lie if I were to claim my thought process at the time wasn't almost exactly what you just described, lmao.

Glaeschland
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Good flag-making site?

Postby Glaeschland » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:06 pm

I recently left a region and decided to make my own (there were no hard feelings or anything, our region just deteriorated to 4 people including me), and now I'm faced with the issue of making a flag. I don't remember what I used to make my nation's flag.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
WA Kitty Kops wrote:"Okay, what's your tubehead dog doing? I's not gonna let it sniff my butt." - Chief Inshpekshuuner

Sleet Clans
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sleet Clans » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:14 pm

Pixlr

United Confederacy of Sleetavia

"Ushije e Vuani"

MT/PMT, willing to switch it up depending on RP

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:54 am

I just make my own using ms paint.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:42 am

Glaeschland wrote:I recently left a region and decided to make my own (there were no hard feelings or anything, our region just deteriorated to 4 people including me), and now I'm faced with the issue of making a flag. I don't remember what I used to make my nation's flag.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

I make my flags myself using a program called paint.NET, but you want a quick flag generator try this:
http://flag-designer.appspot.com

It'll give the output as an .svg file, so you'll need to convert it or you can just take a screenshot and save that.
Last edited by Conscentia on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maichuko
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Maichuko » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:50 am

Flag designer app.com is okay as long as you don't want something complicated.
http://flag-designer.appspot.com/#d=1&c ... 1&s=0&c5=0
Long Live the Emperor of all Maichukoans! May he live 100 years!
(V)(;,,;)(V) woop woop woop woop

Kitchost
Attaché

Founded: Mar 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kitchost » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:52 am

It would be best to use a program like Inkscape to make your flag, design sites don't offer complicated ones.
I've never once been inconvenienced by too much time off.

Luxil
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Luxil » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:57 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/vexillology/co ... gmaker_jr/

There's an EXE version and a web version, the EXE version has more features though. If you decide to download the EXE version, you should also download the bonus pack as well.

Also, the EXE version along with the bonus pack are extracted, so you'll have to un-extract them before using them.

Federated Kingdom
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federated Kingdom » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:59 am

Kitchost wrote:It would be best to use a program like Inkscape to make your flag, design sites don't offer complicated ones.

From what I've heard Adobe Illustrator is also a good option.
U N I T E DK I N G D O M S
of
???, ???, ???, & ???

?
?
?

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:12 am

Luxil wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/vexillology/comments/2ei5wf/flagmaker_17_flagmaker_jr/
There's an EXE version and a web version, the EXE version has more features though. If you decide to download the EXE version, you should also download the bonus pack as well.
Also, the EXE version along with the bonus pack are extracted, so you'll have to un-extract them before using them.

This is pretty good. Much better than the flag designer site.

Republic of Tacos
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Tacos » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:13 am

I used PicMonkey to make my flag.
I'm a Browns fan. PERFECT SEASON, BABY!

Rannoria
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Rannoria » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:26 am

Conscentia wrote:
Luxil wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/vexillology/comments/2ei5wf/flagmaker_17_flagmaker_jr/

This is pretty good. Much better than the flag designer site.

Here's the new and updated version.

http://flagmakerjr.stg7.net

I used to use the flag designer site but then I stumbled upon here.
This is Rannoria, don't forget to eat your own two feet!

please join the Federation of Allies

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:45 am

I used to get help from a gif hosting site, mytheme.com
they have pointers, applications, and links.
I tried to go there just now and it wouldn't load, but that may just be my computer or ISP.

http://mytheme.com/
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Bessarabia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Bessarabia » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:48 pm

I personally like to you GIMP for all my image manipulation needs no matter if its making a simply flag or editing images it include logos or flags from my NS nations. Its free and pretty easy to get the hang of after just playing around with it.
Member of NationStates since 2005
Member of the NationStates World Regions Community since 2005

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!
-Rosalind Russell
Auntie Mame (1958)

Chun Nan
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Chun Nan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Google Drawings :rofl:

Randsbeik
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Randsbeik » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:53 pm

This flag wasn't made by me, but when I'm making them I use AutoCAD to sketch the shapes, and use GIMP to color it.
Last edited by Randsbeik on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Federaal Republiek van Rändsbyk

Don't worry about NationStates stats. Except maybe the tax rate. MT AU Nation.

Hoppean Paleo(ish)libertarian. PolComp: (8.00, -6.31)
Pro: Libertarianism, Capitalism, NAP, Gun Rights, Voluntaryism, Rotary Aircraft
Anti: Communism, BLM, AntiFa, Affirmative Action, Multiculturalism, Direct Democracy, Statism

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay