NATION

PASSWORD

Flag advice super thread

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Furghas
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 10, 2020
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Furghas » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Destroy my flag!

Awesomeland012345
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Awesomeland012345 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:58 am

Is my flag good?
☆ All hail the Holy Awesomeness of Awesomeland012345! ☆ Cheddar

The founder and delegate of Cheddar Dispatches alllll haiillll the tunaaaa Become a dual citizen today! Join Cheddar! :) pls pls pls Take a poll! shh... secret easter eggs!

New Solaurora
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Solaurora » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:14 pm

Furghas wrote:Destroy my flag!

The tools don't cross enough which makes it hard to tell what they are.
---------
New Solaurora
---------

New Solaurora
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Solaurora » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:14 pm

Awesomeland012345 wrote:Is my flag good?

Yes
---------
New Solaurora
---------

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:27 pm

Salutations!

I come here to ask for some advice or ideas on how I can appropriate the solar symbol linked here for use by the New Britannian State. For context rather than using or somewhat editing the RL coat of arms or symbols of the UK, I am trying for a new and original coat of arms design (or party/national symbol) utilising the solar symbolism or something of that nature.

Edit: I should add that I am likely to place it on a flag, have a new flag made with it on it/designed around it or something else of that nature. So if it can work on a flag that’d be great.

To get an idea on how it could be used, I’ll describe the NBS in more detail. The New Britannian State is the successor state of the UK. of Great Britain and (N.) Ireland, established after it’s equivalent of WW2 and founded upon the ideals of a syncretic and "New Order" political party combing left, right and third position thought. Its ideology revolves around the common well-being of the British people and those under British rule (permitting non-heterosexuality, abortion, welfare state, wealth/land redistribution, supporting domestic businesses, etc), the preservation or reformation of traditional institutions like the monarchy or CoE, the belief in national sovereignty and anti-colonial liberations (removing French rule from Indochina, supporting anti-American movements in the Caribbean and Philippines, etc) and the idea that progress comes from the cooperation of socioeconomic classes. It treads the line between collectivism and individualism, viewing the individual as part of the greater collective who too must be cared for and catered to. The New State work with both democracies and dictatorships so long they’re genuinely helping and aren’t trying to erase borders, native identities or aiding in the regression of the people’s welfare.

One idea that could be used is the crossing of a sceptre (symbol of the monarchy), spade or hoe (common folk) and sword (aristocracy) to signify the union of the social classes, but that idea is up in the air.

So I’d like to hear your thoughts.
Last edited by Britannia Maior on Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| KINGDOM OF GREATER BRITAIN ᛫ God Save The King
PMT Great Britain under a National Statist/Renovationist regime, dedicated to upholding Euro-American hegemony in a seemingly eternal Cold War - and spying on you.

| The Times |

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:48 pm

OK, so firstly I think that a flag and a coat of arms are very different in design terms.

For a CoA, you can pile in loads of ideas, multiple quarterings, quite a complex design to get across all the ideas you want to symbolize. Generally speaking, older nations will tend to have simpler arms, more recent ones tend to be more complex.

For flags, you need to strip it right down. A small number of colours, all geometric or with one, maybe two primary symbols.

In this case, the yellow sun might sit well on a plain blue field for the sky. In that case I would recommend quite a light blue.

Another option is to try to link back to the RL countries of the UK. The union flag is already quite cluttered and doesn't match your timeline. Looking at the sun symbol, it has a strong octagonal symmetry. That suggests to me the idea of using a lozengy (diamond pattern) background. You can fill that with red, white and blue to serve as a the link back to the UK.

A quick mock-up to illustrate that last design...
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:16 am

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:OK, so firstly I think that a flag and a coat of arms are very different in design terms.

For a CoA, you can pile in loads of ideas, multiple quarterings, quite a complex design to get across all the ideas you want to symbolize. Generally speaking, older nations will tend to have simpler arms, more recent ones tend to be more complex.

For flags, you need to strip it right down. A small number of colours, all geometric or with one, maybe two primary symbols.

In this case, the yellow sun might sit well on a plain blue field for the sky. In that case I would recommend quite a light blue.

Another option is to try to link back to the RL countries of the UK. The union flag is already quite cluttered and doesn't match your timeline. Looking at the sun symbol, it has a strong octagonal symmetry. That suggests to me the idea of using a lozengy (diamond pattern) background. You can fill that with red, white and blue to serve as a the link back to the UK.

A quick mock-up to illustrate that last design...
(Image)

I see. Would you classify the New Britannian State as a newer nation? I like the idea of a relatively simplistic coat of arms, those are some of the best to look at in my opinion.

I’ll consider the design you made there, it’ll give me some ideas.
| KINGDOM OF GREATER BRITAIN ᛫ God Save The King
PMT Great Britain under a National Statist/Renovationist regime, dedicated to upholding Euro-American hegemony in a seemingly eternal Cold War - and spying on you.

| The Times |

Kaedijork
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

[POLL] Flag of Kaedijork

Postby Kaedijork » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:06 pm

VOTE HERE

Salutations NSers,

Many of you who browse F7 may know I am a man of many flags, who cannot make up his mind. I have thus compiled a (by no means comprehensive) list of flags that I think could be possible contenders for a permanent flag for Kaedijork. Current flag is not on list (only can have 9 poll options), but feel free to say that one too. Apologies for some being imgur links, a couple are too big to display on the forums.

Edit: If you choose an option with several variants, I wouldn't mind if you specified which version you like! :D

Best wishes,
Kaedijork

Last edited by Kaedijork on Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
MY MAGNUM OPUS HISTORY FACTBOOK (a lil WIP still)

LORE OVERHAUL IN PROGRESS
Fellow mutts born from war rape and ethnocide Erm, surfer-bum Scandinavians a long way from home.
K A E D I W A V E (Yes I made a vapourwave for this nation)
Freedom and Rassenreinheit
✊ Nouveau Quebecois did nothing wrong ✊

OOC Views

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:36 am

I
Kaedijork wrote:Edit: If you choose an option with several variants, I wouldn't mind if you specified which version you like!

First variant of option 9. I like the half-circle sun. The symbolism is Nazi, of course, but that does fit your nation.

Also, if I could receive some advice on my flag, that would be excellent!

Larger size here: https://i.imgur.com/WBfZZxe.png
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:07 pm

Kaedjork

Your current design is good.
Number 2 is by far the best design of the rest, IMHO, but doesn't seem particularly apt for your nation. If you must change, then I would second 9.1

Cosmic Mainframe

I like the basic design, but I think the execution is a bit off. The arrowhead seems to be pointing off out of the circle rather than indicating a return. Trim the top of the arrowhead and/or have the top line slanted down a little.
You might also consider bringing the flared lines towards the centre so that they start from the corners of the flag.
Last edited by Almonaster Nuevo on Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:11 pm

How can I improve my current flag? Note: It won't be changed, but criticisms and advice will be taken into account for future ones.

Here's the version sans ripple.

Edit: Roast it or do your worst, I don't mind.
Last edited by Diarcesia on Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:47 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:I like the basic design, but I think the execution is a bit off. The arrowhead seems to be pointing off out of the circle rather than indicating a return. Trim the top of the arrowhead and/or have the top line slanted down a little.
You might also consider bringing the flared lines in a bot so that they start from the corners of the flag.

Thanks for the very professional feedback! I have very little experience in graphic design, so I honestly wouldn't know how to properly edit certain parts of the flag, especially the symbol, without making the design uglier.

I took the reboot symbol from an icon theme made for Linux, and since the arrow was rounded, I simply drew some lines to make it pointed. I do wonder if it would have looked better if it remained rounded. If not, maybe this is the time to make another post in the Seal Request Thread.

The flared lines are designed to resemble a circuit board. An older version of this design had those lines extending to the corners; it was really hard to find proportions that worked while still keeping the circuitboard theme. Either the angle was too sharp or the straight segment was too short.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:36 am

Kaedijork wrote:-snip-

I'd go with #2, although there was one I'm sure you used to have that had a similar design to that, but with black and gold. Could just be my memory failing me.

Kaedijork
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaedijork » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:43 am

Drongonia wrote:
Kaedijork wrote:-snip-

I'd go with #2, although there was one I'm sure you used to have that had a similar design to that, but with black and gold. Could just be my memory failing me.

Yep, with some stars as well if I recall. I think I have that one lying around, I’ll have a look.
MY MAGNUM OPUS HISTORY FACTBOOK (a lil WIP still)

LORE OVERHAUL IN PROGRESS
Fellow mutts born from war rape and ethnocide Erm, surfer-bum Scandinavians a long way from home.
K A E D I W A V E (Yes I made a vapourwave for this nation)
Freedom and Rassenreinheit
✊ Nouveau Quebecois did nothing wrong ✊

OOC Views

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:00 am

Diarcesia wrote:How can I improve my current flag? Note: It won't be changed, but criticisms and advice will be taken into account for future ones.

A clear and recognizable flag, easily described or drawn. I see no need to change the basic design.

Looking at the details...
Like many heraldic beasts, the cat is a bit cartoony. If you're happy with a more modern look you might want to consider something like http://photo.pravdapskov.ru/upload/news ... 720108.jpg
With the current cat I would suggest nudging it a little lower and further to the right.
You might also think about using a brighter shade of yellow to enhance the contrast.

Dialogos
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 04, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dialogos » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:20 pm

Kaedijork wrote:I have thus compiled a (by no means comprehensive) list of flags that I think could be possible contenders for a permanent flag for Kaedijork.

For whatever my opinion's worth, I prefer #1, #2, and #5. However I also noticed that for #2 and #5, the 3 horizontal stripes on the left aren't quite equally spaced, and in #5 the stars are kind of weirdly positioned.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:57 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:How can I improve my current flag? Note: It won't be changed, but criticisms and advice will be taken into account for future ones.

A clear and recognizable flag, easily described or drawn. I see no need to change the basic design.

Looking at the details...
Like many heraldic beasts, the cat is a bit cartoony. If you're happy with a more modern look you might want to consider something like http://photo.pravdapskov.ru/upload/news ... 720108.jpg
With the current cat I would suggest nudging it a little lower and further to the right.
You might also think about using a brighter shade of yellow to enhance the contrast.

Thank you.

Confederate American SU
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 29, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Confederate American SU » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:55 pm

Either this or this.
★★========★★
==★★====★★==
====
★★★★====
==
★★====★★==
★★========★★

★No, it is not the South. SU stands for 'States and Unions'. The right acronym is RCAS. Please read the Factbook.★

Free Port of Cristina
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 17, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Free Port of Cristina » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:43 pm

The current one but with white background.
Help fight against police brutality! (by Sho).

The Free Port of Cristina is a sovereign city-state, country and a microstate. The country is a free economic zone where companies are taxed very lightly to encourage economic activity.

Constitutional Monarchy • Capitalist • Eastern Christian Orthodox • Tech level: MT • Timeline: 2020

(Except for Population and GDP, NS stats are mostly used)

Build your yurt here on Eurth

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:53 am

I'd like some advice regarding my current flag... I have no idea what I'm looking for, outside of the fact that my nation is based around the number 2.

I'm also willing to start from scratch, but I have no idea where to start with the flag design process.

Lastly, I'm also looking to integrate the theme of '2' with 'cards' on my puppet nations in Second Best Card Farm.

I'm fairly capable of creating my own flags, I'm just looking for some inspiration and ideas. Thanks in advance for any advice or help!
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:49 pm

For the farm, how about a spread showing the 4 Kings (second best) from a standard deck?

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:12 pm

Thoughts and criticism on this one?

Dialogos
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 04, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dialogos » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:23 pm

I like it quite a lot, but I think the black outline needs to become white, or the green needs to become lighter. The layout by itself is great, though, and I like how that logo straddles the cross's center.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:19 pm

Dialogos wrote:I like it quite a lot, but I think the black outline needs to become white, or the green needs to become lighter. The layout by itself is great, though, and I like how that logo straddles the cross's center.

The flag's green is made lighter. Thoughts?

New Solaurora
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Solaurora » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:21 pm

Diarcesia wrote:The flag's green is made lighter. Thoughts?

Its good but the cross has an uneven width vertically and horizontally
---------
New Solaurora
---------

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay