NATION

PASSWORD

Flag advice super thread

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Brusseldorf
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Brusseldorf » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:16 am

Korasha wrote:I can't think of any ways to improve my current flag ... does it even need to be improved or is it fine as it is?

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:I'd say it's pretty good as is.

You might want to consider having the white stripe on the fly (right) side so that the main symbol is nearer the hoist, and thus more visible when the flag is drooping.

You could also darken and saturate the orange and lighten the gold for more contrast.

As I said, though, fine how it is.

https://i.imgur.com/rMKp5zP.png
Sort of what Almonaster is suggesting
Morocco-Algeria ~ Democracy ~ Prime Minister Abelt Nejem ~ Spends on Defence, Information-Technology, Protecting the Environment, and Spirituality
The largest military in the region
Of course I use NS Stats, what do you think I’m doing here?!
Etymology: Brussels + Dusseldorf = Brusseldorf!

The Pacifican Islands said: all transit is green if there is no transit
taps head
The Grand Empire of Andor said: You can’t pollute the planet if there is no planet
Hits head with hammer

Quelsh said: "COOL FLAG BRUZELDERF"
Tattland said: "Did I just accidentally attack Quelsh"
The Garmillas Empire was an intergalactic Empire. A remnant group of the Garmillan people crashed on earth, where they were given refuge by Brusseldorf.

Brusseldorf
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Brusseldorf » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:19 am

Ravennog wrote:I changed my flag again. I'd like to hear your opinions on it, specifically, what I could do to improve it. Thoughts?

Recognisable, colourful, and a symbol. Very solid, great flag!
Morocco-Algeria ~ Democracy ~ Prime Minister Abelt Nejem ~ Spends on Defence, Information-Technology, Protecting the Environment, and Spirituality
The largest military in the region
Of course I use NS Stats, what do you think I’m doing here?!
Etymology: Brussels + Dusseldorf = Brusseldorf!

The Pacifican Islands said: all transit is green if there is no transit
taps head
The Grand Empire of Andor said: You can’t pollute the planet if there is no planet
Hits head with hammer

Quelsh said: "COOL FLAG BRUZELDERF"
Tattland said: "Did I just accidentally attack Quelsh"
The Garmillas Empire was an intergalactic Empire. A remnant group of the Garmillan people crashed on earth, where they were given refuge by Brusseldorf.

Ravennog
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravennog » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Brusseldorf wrote:
Ravennog wrote:I changed my flag again. I'd like to hear your opinions on it, specifically, what I could do to improve it. Thoughts?

Recognisable, colourful, and a symbol. Very solid, great flag!

Thank you very much!
☆∞☆ THE RAVENNOGAN REPUBLIC ☆∞☆
‎‎‎‎‎Arbejdere i verden, forenes!
Ravennog was a Danish colony with high ambitions since its independence on October 24th, 1817.
OOC: A staunchly introverted 14-year-old teenager who likes food a lot.
Since a signature can't have more than eight lines, I'll spit everything out right here. Please be sure to stay home - and wear a mask and stay six feet apart if you're going out somewhere. Please don't be a selfish fuck and claim you "have the right" to not wear a mask - or say that God has you covered. Don't be an idiot, 'kay? Thanks! Stop embracing anti-science and anti-intellectualism. The world doesn't need to go into the shitter since you're stupid and selfish.

Kyria
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyria » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Hello guys and gals,

I was wondering what would perhaps be the best-looking proportions for a flag using the design and colouration found here. I’ve been playing a lot of Stellaris: Console Edition recently and really liked the flag I made for my custom empire, and I’d like to use it on NS sometime.

Thanks.
REPUBLIC OF KYRIA ΔΗΜΟΚΡΑΤΊΑ ΚῩ́ΡΕΙᾹΣ
MT 'modern Byzantium' blending Orwell and Mirror’s Edge with NazCentBol-esque Blue Helmet neoimperialism and tacticool Stormtrooperesque faceless legions.
Capital: Constantinople | President: Ioánnis Bardanes | Religion: Orthodox Christianity | Factbook | Map | News

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:49 pm

Nation States will trim your flag to fit a 3:2 ratio, so that always gives you the most bang for your buck.

To fit that, I'd suggest rotating the hexagon while keeping the star in the original orientation.

So...
Last edited by Almonaster Nuevo on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Kyria
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyria » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:10 am

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:Nation States will trim your flag to fit a 3:2 ratio, so that always gives you the most bang for your buck.

To fit that, I'd suggest rotating the hexagon while keeping the star in the original orientation.

So...

Admittedly, I was thinking of a proper flag rather than utilising the hexagon. So a plain red background + the symbol in the centre. But thank you regardless.
REPUBLIC OF KYRIA ΔΗΜΟΚΡΑΤΊΑ ΚῩ́ΡΕΙᾹΣ
MT 'modern Byzantium' blending Orwell and Mirror’s Edge with NazCentBol-esque Blue Helmet neoimperialism and tacticool Stormtrooperesque faceless legions.
Capital: Constantinople | President: Ioánnis Bardanes | Religion: Orthodox Christianity | Factbook | Map | News

Illiros
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Illiros » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:16 pm

I would love to get some advice and feedback on the current flag I use! For your convenience, here is a close up of the flag I currently have for this nation:

The Aristocratic Republic of Illiros
"Await the dawn, trusting in God"

Please be aware that this nation is played in a way which is not meant to be reflective of my own personal beliefs or political convictions. While some things may align, most will be borne out of me wishing to role-play this nation in a specific way.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:28 pm

The colours and contrast are good.

The uneven stars aren't really working for me. At smaller scales particularly they just look badly executed. I would suggest you use equal size and spacing instead.

A couple of possible tweaks to consider - definitely less important than the stars...
1) Maybe make the central circle and symbols a little larger in proportion.
2) Possibly alternate the red and blue quarters.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Illiros
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Illiros » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:The colours and contrast are good.

The uneven stars aren't really working for me. At smaller scales particularly they just look badly executed. I would suggest you use equal size and spacing instead.

A couple of possible tweaks to consider - definitely less important than the stars...
1) Maybe make the central circle and symbols a little larger in proportion.
2) Possibly alternate the red and blue quarters.

I am not sure what you mean with uneven stars? They're symmetrical, right?

Please be aware that this nation is played in a way which is not meant to be reflective of my own personal beliefs or political convictions. While some things may align, most will be borne out of me wishing to role-play this nation in a specific way.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Nope.

The top and bottom stars are larger than the others, and the left and right pairs are a bit further apart than the rest.

Illiros
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Illiros » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:Nope.

The top and bottom stars are larger than the others, and the left and right pairs are a bit further apart than the rest.

The top and bottom stars are intentionally larger. That was taken from Macau's flag which has an identical scheme. I do see what you mean with the sides though, I will see if I can change that.

Ravennog
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravennog » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Hey, changed my flag again, what can I do to improve it? Thoughts?
☆∞☆ THE RAVENNOGAN REPUBLIC ☆∞☆
‎‎‎‎‎Arbejdere i verden, forenes!
Ravennog was a Danish colony with high ambitions since its independence on October 24th, 1817.
OOC: A staunchly introverted 14-year-old teenager who likes food a lot.
Since a signature can't have more than eight lines, I'll spit everything out right here. Please be sure to stay home - and wear a mask and stay six feet apart if you're going out somewhere. Please don't be a selfish fuck and claim you "have the right" to not wear a mask - or say that God has you covered. Don't be an idiot, 'kay? Thanks! Stop embracing anti-science and anti-intellectualism. The world doesn't need to go into the shitter since you're stupid and selfish.

Great Robertia
Envoy

Founded: Jul 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Robertia » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:57 am

Would love some comments on my flag!

Or is this one better?

Last edited by Great Robertia on Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Imperial State of Great Robertia

Current year: 2022 CE | Monarch: Empress Maria Roberta I | Chancellor: WIP | Capital: Saint Robertsburg | Government type: Unitary parliamentary constitutional monarchy | Technology level: Post-modern tech
List of Authored Writings | Factbook on Great Robertia
Played nations
  • Daarwyrth
  • Great Robertia
  • Uylensted
About me:
  • 26 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

The Brytish Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Brytish Isles » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:21 pm

Greetings,

I am currently attempting to design a flag that illustrates the union of Great Britain and Ireland in a minimalist fashion, so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on design pieces or such. Ideally, I’d like to draw some of the elements from both Great Britain’s ancient and contemporary heritage, specifically Roman Britain and the British Empire. The government values glory, national identity and family, and utilises much patriotic imagery depicting Britannia and Hibernia as proud and powerful war maidens, if that gives any insight.
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
Make America Great Britain Again
Overview | Profiles | Templates | Embassy | Politics

| National Report | “Beautiful Albion” programme aimed at decreasing pollution, cleaning litter and renovating inhabited areas to go ahead, says Westminster correspondent. // Polish Crown Prince Konstanty announces birth of son, both mother and child “in good health.” // Prime Minister White-Patel and Austrian counterpart Leopold Mayr expected to meet in Vienna on Monday to discuss furthering Austro-Brytish ties.

AquilaJordyn
Envoy

Founded: Nov 06, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Finding My One & Only Flag

Postby AquilaJordyn » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:21 pm

So I need some conceptual idea generation & advice on a flag I'm thinking of. I've been changing my flag a bunch over the years and I'd like to settle down with my one-and-only flag :lol2: I am planning in going that flag request flag, but I figured I should talk to you folks first because I have no idea what to ask for :rofl: (Please send help) I apologize in advance.

1. My nation is the modern successor state to ancient Troy. The nation prides itself on Philosophy, Science, Religion, Nature & "being like a wall" in battle.
2. We're a monarchy. A very cultured, ancient dynasty rules the nation and always has. They're the descendant's of King Priam & the founder of Troy, Ilus, who's father, Dardanus, was the son of Electra & Zeus, according to Greek legend. Should also be said that Troy possesses the Palladium, a statue of Athena that was supposed to protect the city...
3. I'm so not looking for a Trojan horse flag, it would be way too ironic, but I'd appreciate some symbol ideas. I have ideas floating around my head of Dragons, Owls, Stars and Laurel wreaths, but honestly I'd appreciate any ideas because I've tried to find symbols for all of those before. Honestly, might need to see about making a symbol similar to what I have here, but with a triple headed owl or dragon. That might be crazy.

4. We're a maritime nation. Our people came to these lands via a boat escaping the fall of Troy. The nation is also in love with forests and nature.

5. Something at least vaguely religious would make sense since the nation is right about 90% practicing Catholic Christian. I've been using the Nordic cross because the look of it works for breaking up the blank space in a flag, but it doesn't really make sense. If anyone has any techniques for breaking up the dead space in a flag without overcrowding it with symbols (So the use of shapes) I'd appreciate it. This more than anything has been making this hard.

6. I think the flag would be very Imperial, Imposing looking...I have zero idea how to make a flag look imperial or imposing except with the right colors. I've been thinking white, gold, black & blue.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Overview Factbook|Emperor Vulcan saō Ðardanexia IX|Embassy Programme|Vis En Frites Seafood Restaurant Chain
|Intersectional Feminist|Environmentalist|White For Black Lives|Social Democrat|
Nationstates Stats & Policies are not Canon. The nation is called Syagros. Call the people Syagrots or Trojans.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:45 am

AquilaJordyn wrote:So I need some conceptual idea generation & advice on a flag I'm thinking of. I've been changing my flag a bunch over the years and I'd like to settle down with my one-and-only flag :lol2: I am planning in going that flag request flag, but I figured I should talk to you folks first because I have no idea what to ask for :rofl: (Please send help) I apologize in advance.

1. My nation is the modern successor state to ancient Troy. The nation prides itself on Philosophy, Science, Religion, Nature & "being like a wall" in battle.

Include a tower, maybe using either the fairly standard heraldic version or the fortress used in the flag of Gibraltar, to represent both "the topless tower of Ilium" and your "like a wall" concept.
Where is this nation supposed to be located? Italy? Britain? Somewhere else?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

AquilaJordyn
Envoy

Founded: Nov 06, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby AquilaJordyn » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:06 am

Bears Armed wrote:
AquilaJordyn wrote:So I need some conceptual idea generation & advice on a flag I'm thinking of. I've been changing my flag a bunch over the years and I'd like to settle down with my one-and-only flag :lol2: I am planning in going that flag request flag, but I figured I should talk to you folks first because I have no idea what to ask for :rofl: (Please send help) I apologize in advance.

Include a tower, maybe using either the fairly standard heraldic version or the fortress used in the flag of Gibraltar, to represent both "the topless tower of Ilium" and your "like a wall" concept.
Where is this nation supposed to be located? Italy? Britain? Somewhere else?

Hrm... I've considered it. I might have to experiment with that. My thing is, I want an epic flag. I know we all do, but I want a flag that causes onlookers to look in awe. Maybe I should add some fire coming out of the tower :lol2: ?

So my nation is a large chain of Islands, the main Island being around the size of the United Kingdom, located off of the coast of Portugal, a little south of it. It's a solidly European country.
Last edited by AquilaJordyn on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overview Factbook|Emperor Vulcan saō Ðardanexia IX|Embassy Programme|Vis En Frites Seafood Restaurant Chain
|Intersectional Feminist|Environmentalist|White For Black Lives|Social Democrat|
Nationstates Stats & Policies are not Canon. The nation is called Syagros. Call the people Syagrots or Trojans.

Great Batavica
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Batavica » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Any thoughts on my nation's current flag? What's good, what's bad? What works and what doesn't?

Recuecn
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Recuecn » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:24 am

Great Batavica wrote:Any thoughts on my nation's current flag? What's good, what's bad? What works and what doesn't?

I like it. I would say maybe change the ratio a bit: decrease the height by making the stripes thinner, but keep the dimensions of the shield and the length of the entire flag the same. Also, you're using two different shades of blue--try only using one? In general fewer colors/intentional color scheme = stronger design.

If you really wanted to change it up more than that you could base the flag off the coat of arms instead of just putting the coat of arms itself on the striped background. (If you did this I would still incorporate the stripes into the design since the coat of arms itself is very simple). Here's a guide on how some rl places have done that well (or badly): https://nava.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... rhoven.pdf But personally I also like what you've got already, so don't feel like an overhaul is necessary.
rəswɛsən

Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 pm

I need some advice. The results I've gotten on flag-related threads are extremely varied.

I've been told that the design of my flag is beautifully original, and many both on and off site have complimented it extensively. However, I've simultaneously gotten criticism laid on thick for integral parts of my flag, such as:

color contrast/choices
the level of detail on the dog
the design itself (or in some cases lack of thereof)

and a few more if I bothered to look in past threads.

I don't know what a general opinion on my flag is, nor how to improve it due to how varied and divided everyone is on the subject matter. It seems like where I get one straight answer for one side, there's two more for another.

I've experimented with a few color and placement choices like the distance of the dog to the branch wreath, the flower color, and the background color (from pastel yellow to pastel orange to pastel rose red to even solid, vibrant colors which somehow looked worse than the pastels I got criticized for due to lack of contrast with the dog.) I wanted to avoid a solid white background because then it just looked like a straight ripoff of the flag of Cyprus.

I'm starting to feel like the flag itself is so laden with error that it's unfixable, but part of me is saying that it's just me letting all of this worry get to my head. If anyone has any worthwhile tips or redesign options, please don't hesitate to talk to me!

edit: the design of the dog is supposed to resemble a golden retriever
Last edited by Spiritual Republic of Caryton on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Spiritual Republic of Caryton
(CARYTON VIDEO)
A serene & puritan 80s-90s tech agrarian Christian fundamentalist nation with no separation between church and state. Wide prairies, fertile plains, archaic clothing, clean skies, lack of modern influence, universal prohibition, kind societies, and simple austere lives forge the Carytonic identity.
Music of Caryton: [8-29-22] Classic Carytonic Sing-Along Hymns

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:22 pm

If in doubt - simplify.

The dog is clearly the main feature. I don't think the wreath is beneficial.

If you remove the wreath, the green can become the background. Lighten the dog a bit for better contrast. That's then slightly too plain, so add a couple of stripes to make it more flag-like.

Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:53 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:If in doubt - simplify.

If you remove the wreath, the green can become the background. Lighten the dog a bit for better contrast. That's then slightly too plain, so add a couple of stripes to make it more flag-like.
(Image)

thank you!
The Spiritual Republic of Caryton
(CARYTON VIDEO)
A serene & puritan 80s-90s tech agrarian Christian fundamentalist nation with no separation between church and state. Wide prairies, fertile plains, archaic clothing, clean skies, lack of modern influence, universal prohibition, kind societies, and simple austere lives forge the Carytonic identity.
Music of Caryton: [8-29-22] Classic Carytonic Sing-Along Hymns

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:33 am

Spiritual Republic of Caryton wrote:
Almonaster Nuevo wrote:If in doubt - simplify.

(Image)

thank you!

When you've got a design you like, head on over to the flag request thread if you'd like a full-size version.

A l b i o n
Secretary

Founded: Nov 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby A l b i o n » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:02 am

Hello,

I am attempting to design a flag and coat of arms representing a united British Isles (UK + Ireland) under a federal constitutional monarchy. I have come across the flag of the Kingdom of Prussia, and found its design very appealing, so I will be designing the flag to be similar. However, I plan to use a shield and crown alongside more British colours.

I very much like the shape of the escutcheon linked above, and was thinking how to edit it to just represent the Isles. I have thought that perhaps halving it horizontally, then halving the top half vertically would be a good idea as it leaves 3 spaces for the English (3 lions), Scottish (lion) and Irish (harp) royal arms to fit into. Another option is dividing the inside into 3 spaces giving each royal arms an equal amount of space on the shield.

Thoughts?
| Great Kingdom of Albion / British EmpireOur Sun Shan’t Yet Set
Our skies, once clouded by ash and smoke, clear now to reveal the sunrise, a new dawn - of peace and brotherhood. Let our songs of fraternity now fill our hearts, with no room for hatred.

21 July AD 1921
| The Herald :

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:01 am

In heraldry the vertical division usually comes first.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay