NATION

PASSWORD

Flag advice super thread

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Oswyn Islands
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Oswyn Islands » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:11 am

Hello,

Could someone suggest to me which of the following flags best suit the combination of colour found on the German flag?

P.s. the German colours are Black (#000000), Electric Red (#DD0000) and Tangerine Yellow (#FFCE00).
Last edited by Oswyn Islands on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Republic of Oswyn IslandsUnbedeutend, aber stolz
A small, modern republic in Oceania currently under the Präsident der Republik Marius Keßler. Having long been stagnant in its politics and uninteresting in general, the current president is aiming for global recognition for the country and all its greatness.

Overview | Oswynball | National Anthem | First Family | Political Parties

Paradiesinseln Zeitung: Military to continue training with Australian forces | Oswyn Islands seeks closer ties with China | President Keßler denounces climate change deniers at UN meeting

Shy Guyia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 19, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Shy Guyia » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:51 am

Oswyn Islands wrote:Hello,

Could someone suggest to me which of the following flags best suit the combination of colour found on the German flag?

P.s. the German colours are Black (#000000), Electric Red (#DD0000) and Tangerine Yellow (#FFCE00).

The first one is very similar to your current flag, which I like.

In order to see if the colour scheme would fit on the other flags I simply copy and pasted them into Gimp and just used the bucket tool. Not the most pretty way but still gives you a decent look how they'd look. https://imgur.com/a/xe6z0df

I like the second one and fourth one the most, mostly because the spiral in the third flag is a bit "chunky" at the end for a lack of a better term. But everything except the third one seems fine by me.

Oswyn Islands
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Oswyn Islands » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:54 am

Shy Guyia wrote:
Oswyn Islands wrote:Hello,

The first one is very similar to your current flag, which I like.

In order to see if the colour scheme would fit on the other flags I simply copy and pasted them into Gimp and just used the bucket tool. Not the most pretty way but still gives you a decent look how they'd look. https://imgur.com/a/xe6z0df

I like the second one and fourth one the most, mostly because the spiral in the third flag is a bit "chunky" at the end for a lack of a better term. But everything except the third one seems fine by me.

Thank you for the input, friend.
The Republic of Oswyn IslandsUnbedeutend, aber stolz
A small, modern republic in Oceania currently under the Präsident der Republik Marius Keßler. Having long been stagnant in its politics and uninteresting in general, the current president is aiming for global recognition for the country and all its greatness.

Overview | Oswynball | National Anthem | First Family | Political Parties

Paradiesinseln Zeitung: Military to continue training with Australian forces | Oswyn Islands seeks closer ties with China | President Keßler denounces climate change deniers at UN meeting

The Commoners Republic of America
Secretary

Founded: Jul 13, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Commoners Republic of America » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:12 pm

Does the one with the white outlines look better? What other modifications would help better the design?
Here is a link to the to flags in my factbook:
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=the ... id=1130829
Last edited by The Commoners Republic of America on Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
│ ☆ The Constitutional Federal Republic of the Commoners Republic of America ☆ │
Commoners Republic - Wikipedia | Official FactBook WIP
The Commoners Republic of America (CRA), or commonly known as the Commoners Republic (tCR), is a Constitutional Federal Republic. The Nation is composed of 5 Provinces, 1 unincorporated-organized territory, and the Federal District of Neo-Libertalia. Located on the Delmarva Peninsula in North America, the Nation is completely bounded by the waters of the Atlantic Ocean, Chesapeake Bay, and the Chesapeake-Delaware Canal.
│☆____________"Mind Autonomy & Self-Ownership."____________☆│
"The Sovereign Rights of Individuals should never be curtailed by the demands of a collective."

Hystaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hystaria » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:16 pm

Could someone make my flag but with the center symbol red?

Or maybe a faded out shinto gate?
A [Tier:9 Level:1 Type:9
Power Comparator: (see below)5.2, according to this index.

(Please quote me in forums to find your response, please, that would be nice.)
Trade with me, trade without Idelogys harming us, Money doesn't care what side you are on.
i swear my eternal service to the lasaga lord and wish to spread it to all i meet .
[spoiler= Official Allies]Bolkenia
Kowani wrote:Hystaria. They’re both edgy, but only one of them is a special kind of edgy.

I dont use NS states, I use factbooks.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:33 pm

The Commoners Republic of America wrote:Does the one with the white outlines look better? What other modifications would help better the design?
Here is a link to the to flags in my factbook:
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=the ... id=1130829

The outlines are good (and heraldically correct).

Unless you're wedded to the Idea of those offset quadrants, could I suggest you use symmetrical arcs of stars above and below the line? I think the crossover looks a bit awkward. Possibly slightly larger stars, too.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Silverblade
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 18, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Silverblade » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:00 am

id like some opimons on my flag im still new and i just got this flag and yes i know its low quality but any ideas on how to make it better?

Flaireis
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Flaireis » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:03 am

It's kind of asymmetrical and really busy. I would at least make the mist cloud in the background symmetrical first.
T R A N S
P R I D E

a Level 6/0/5 Nation (rank 19.2)
Not Reflective of my actual views (I'm an anarchist IRL)
My entire military is the DK crew

Even though NS stats are often accurate, I don't use them.

Malphe
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Malphe » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 am

Silverblade wrote:id like some opimons on my flag im still new and i just got this flag and yes i know its low quality but any ideas on how to make it better?

Making it higher quality would be a start. I do believe there's merit in unconventional flags (hence my current one) that don't actually look like real flags but yours is a bit busy, a bit messy even by those standards. I'd say first smoothen out the circle like Flaireis said + work out the symmetry, maybe expand the canvas on all sides a bit so there's more room to breath.
Malphe Vytherov

Silverblade
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Silverblade » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:18 am

ty for the fb altough i did not make the flag and have no clue how to fix it as i am horrible when it comes to art.
altough i plan on getting a new flag soon once more that will be much better

Equitara
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Equitara » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:21 am

Opinions on my flag?
After centuries of wars, the Federation of Equitara finds itself forced to enter the first Nexus World War, they have joined the allies.

Opet News: Lesthia Emp loses its first battle in Choro, soldiers captured. Potential new ore discovered in Mestith Cave, name not decided yet. Geroland enters the first NEXUS WORLD WAR, it is on the side of the allies. New flower discovered in Gegalith, named "Tuess". The year is currently 2019.

THAT GAPING HOLE IN MY FLAG IS SUPPOSED TO REPRESENT THE WHITE SUN, YOU POTATOS.

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The State of Monavia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Equitara wrote:Opinions on my flag?

The simplicity of the design is good, but the stripes in the background have too little contrast. It also does not help that you are trying to use three different hues of blue with white as the only other main color. I suggest playing around with colors a bit and thinking about any national symbols you might want to add to make the design more distinct and unique.
——✠ ✠——THE IMPERIAL FEDERATION OF THE MONAVIAN EMPIRE——✠ ✠——
FACTBOOKS AND LOREROLEPLAY CANONDIPLOMATIC EXCHANGE

MY GUIDES ON ROLEPLAYING DIPLOMACY, ROLEPLAY ETIQUETTE, CREATING A NEW NATION,
LEARNING HOW TO ROLEPLAY (FORTHCOMING), AND ROLEPLAYING EVIL (PART ONE)

Seventeen-Year Veteran of NationStates ∙ Retired N&I Roleplay Mentor
Member of the NS Writing Project and the Roleplayers Union
I am a classical monarchist Orthodox Christian from Phoenix, Arizona.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

Equitara
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Equitara » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:28 pm

The State of Monavia wrote:
Equitara wrote:Opinions on my flag?

The simplicity of the design is good, but the stripes in the background have too little contrast. It also does not help that you are trying to use three different hues of blue with white as the only other main color. I suggest playing around with colors a bit and thinking about any national symbols you might want to add to make the design more distinct and unique.

Thanks for the help, sadly the flag creator is use is limited and only allows you to take pieces from other flags.
After centuries of wars, the Federation of Equitara finds itself forced to enter the first Nexus World War, they have joined the allies.

Opet News: Lesthia Emp loses its first battle in Choro, soldiers captured. Potential new ore discovered in Mestith Cave, name not decided yet. Geroland enters the first NEXUS WORLD WAR, it is on the side of the allies. New flower discovered in Gegalith, named "Tuess". The year is currently 2019.

THAT GAPING HOLE IN MY FLAG IS SUPPOSED TO REPRESENT THE WHITE SUN, YOU POTATOS.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:04 pm

Equitara wrote:
The State of Monavia wrote:

Thanks for the help, sadly the flag creator is use is limited and only allows you to take pieces from other flags.

Never mind. There are people here who will make a flag once you know what you want.

Here's an option, loosely based on what you have.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Sudbrazil
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sudbrazil » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:27 pm

Could anyone provide advice on my flag?

I see some worldbuilding issues with it as the flag uses Portuguese and Brazilian Monarchist symbology. While those are aesthetically pleasing, I doubt that my separatist republic would be willing to use and display them proudly.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:10 am

I don't see it as particularly Portuguese or Brazilian. If anything it reminds me of the Guernsey flag, which is one of my favourites.

For my money : keep it.

Conoga
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:00 am

Sudbrazil wrote:Could anyone provide advice on my flag?

I see some worldbuilding issues with it as the flag uses Portuguese and Brazilian Monarchist symbology. While those are aesthetically pleasing, I doubt that my separatist republic would be willing to use and display them proudly.
The Order of Christ is pretty prominent in Brazilian culture, and they're proudly a separatist republic.
The Portuguese Republic's football team also continues to use similar symbolism on their badge.
Really making me realize I don't know anything about the Lusophones beyond sports.

Non-issue. Just don't put a crown on it or something.

Saranambalia
Civilian

Founded: Jan 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Saranambalia » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:33 am

So as of lately I've been having trouble designing a flag for a left-leaning totalitarian dictatorship. Here's the original design I had for a nation like this:

The flag is based on a previous version of it and the North Korean flag.

After I accidentally messed up the nation with this flag, I set myself to improve it further for successive nations, starting from scratch. I decided to use aggressive colors (black, dark red) and a symbol representing the revolution, the end goal of the totalitarian ideology (usually a star for an undefined left-leaning totalitarianism). This is the result:

Loosely based on the Ethiopian flag, several of my puppets already use this one. Not too bad, for one, it's not as busy as the other. But it feels a bit... lifeless. It does not seem to transmit the same aggresiveness as the previous one and it isn't as eye-catching.

Any suggestions (improvement to the central emblem, brighter colors, a different aspect ratio even?)

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:38 am

I'm trying to make a seal for a state flag, and on it, I want my own flag to be partially furled up, but I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions?
Then it's a lie. Everything Fox News says is a lie.
Even true things once said on Fox News become lies.
(Family Guy: Excellence in Broadcasting)

Come check out the Natan Region, a fun, democratic region|Biden/Harris 2020|
Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

Conoga
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:29 pm

Saranambalia wrote:So as of lately I've been having trouble designing a flag for a left-leaning totalitarian dictatorship. Here's the original design I had for a nation like this:

After I accidentally messed up the nation with this flag, I set myself to improve it further for successive nations, starting from scratch. I decided to use aggressive colors (black, dark red) and a symbol representing the revolution, the end goal of the totalitarian ideology (usually a star for an undefined left-leaning totalitarianism). This is the result:

Loosely based on the Ethiopian flag, several of my puppets already use this one. Not too bad, for one, it's not as busy as the other. But it feels a bit... lifeless. It does not seem to transmit the same aggresiveness as the previous one and it isn't as eye-catching.

Any suggestions (improvement to the central emblem, brighter colors, a different aspect ratio even?)
I like to use an off-black, like #141414, instead of #000000
Flags on this site will always look best in 3:2
I'm not really a fan of red/black

It looks good to me, though
United States of Natan wrote:I'm trying to make a seal for a state flag, and on it, I want my own flag to be partially furled up, but I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions?
In your preferred photo editing tool, make the first layer a transparent black outline( I don't know if this exists online somewhere. ). Put your flag into a second layer below the first. Distort it until it fits the outline. Delete the first layer

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:32 pm

Conoga wrote:
Saranambalia wrote:So as of lately I've been having trouble designing a flag for a left-leaning totalitarian dictatorship. Here's the original design I had for a nation like this:

I like to use an off-black, like #141414, instead of #000000

It looks good to me, though
United States of Natan wrote:I'm trying to make a seal for a state flag, and on it, I want my own flag to be partially furled up, but I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions?
In your preferred photo editing tool, make the first layer a transparent black outline( I don't know if this exists online somewhere. ). Put your flag into a second layer below the first. Distort it until it fits the outline. Delete the first layer

any suggestions for what program to use?

Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

Conoga
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:37 pm

United States of Natan wrote:
Conoga wrote:I like to use an off-black, like #141414, instead of #000000

It looks good to me, thoughIn your preferred photo editing tool, make the first layer a transparent black outline( I don't know if this exists online somewhere. ). Put your flag into a second layer below the first. Distort it until it fits the outline. Delete the first layer

any suggestions for what program to use?
what's your os?

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:02 pm

Conoga wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:any suggestions for what program to use?
what's your os?

Windows

Conoga
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:09 pm

United States of Natan wrote:
Conoga wrote:what's your os?

Windows
https://www.gimp.org/ is better
https://www.getpaint.net/ is easier

Orlieto
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Orlieto » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:49 pm

Hey, I'm trying to use paint to make an irregularly shaped flag with a transparent background. Any tips for how to do that?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay