NATION

PASSWORD

The United Defenders League

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mirror of Erised
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirror of Erised » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Galiantus wrote:
Sovreignry wrote:
Could've fooled me.

That requires numbers. Numbers that we don't have every damn night.

Tell me again how detagging regions keeps them from being destroyed?

Well, first off we've been defending the last few updates. Not just detagging (which we did at minor today primarily). Defending regions would, by definition, stop a raider from getting control of a region..thus not allowing them to destroy, if that was their intent at all. So it actually does, in a direct way.

But the point that Sov is making here is that we'd -love- to try to liberate the regions that TBR and TBH are holding. We just..can't get the numbers for it at update, especially not every update. So..we do what we can, when we can. And we have fun with it, and we defend and detag. It's enjoyable and rewarding too. :)

EDIT: Frakking puppet! This is Lyanna Stark.
Last edited by Mirror of Erised on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Galiantus
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Sovreignry wrote:
Galiantus wrote:

Tell me where I said that?

Well you didn't say that, and so far no one has. I am meerly pointing out that while you are detagging regions, you could be doing liberations and defenses, which are more vital to regional survival.

[/quote]
Galiantus wrote:And the very least UDL could do is try to protect regions from destruction, rather than following TBR into oblivian.

This is a reference to detagging, not numbers.
Last objected by The World Assembly on Wednesday, August 1, 2012, objected 400 times in total.
Benjamin Franklin wrote:"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch."
Ballotonia wrote:Testing is for sissies. The actual test is to see how many people complain when any change is made ;)

On NationStates, We are the Good Guys:Aretist NatSovs

Gest
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Gest » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:49 pm

Cormac Stark wrote:

Really that's the best Robin Hood picture you found. It screams bland. Somehow all the characters manage to look sullen and lost at the same time. Stick with the cartoon fox.
Last edited by Gest on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sovreignry
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sovreignry » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:51 pm

Galiantus wrote:
Sovreignry wrote:
Tell me where I said that?

Well you didn't say that, and so far no one has. I am meerly pointing out that while you are detagging regions, you could be doing liberations and defenses, which are more vital to regional survival.

Need numbers for the highlighted.
From the desk of
William Chocox Ambassador from The Unitary Kingdom of Sovreignry
Office 50, fifth floor, farthest from the elevator
You're supposed to be employing the arts of diplomacy, not the ruddy great thumping sledgehammers of diplomacy. -Ardchoille
It would be easier just to incorporate a "Grief Region" button, so you wouldn't even need to make the effort to do the actual raiding. Players could just bounce from region to region and destroy everyone else's efforts at will, without even bothering about WA status. Wouldn't that be nice. -Frisbeeteria

Why yes, we are better looking: UDL

Cormac Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac Stark » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:52 pm

Gest wrote:Really that's the best Robin Hood picture you found. It screams bland. Somehow all the characters manage to look sullen and lost at the same time. Stick with the cartoon fox.

Maybe we'll go with him next time. :lol:

Galiantus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:57 pm

Mirror of Erised wrote:
Galiantus wrote:

Well, first off we've been defending the last few updates. Not just detagging (which we did at minor today primarily). Defending regions would, by definition, stop a raider from getting control of a region..thus not allowing them to destroy, if that was their intent at all. So it actually does, in a direct way.

But the point that Sov is making here is that we'd -love- to try to liberate the regions that TBR and TBH are holding. We just..can't get the numbers for it at update, especially not every update. So..we do what we can, when we can. And we have fun with it, and we defend and detag. It's enjoyable and rewarding too. :)

EDIT: Frakking puppet! This is Lyanna Stark.

I like most of this, actually. The point I am trying to make is that when you get bogged down with detagging a few regions while small groups of raiders take between 12 and 20 regions at a time, you allow more damage to occur. And against a usual number of 3 or 4 raiders per update, I don't see what is so hard to match. Against 3 raiders, you only need 2 defenders to have a shot at successfully defending the region, isn't that right?
Last objected by The World Assembly on Wednesday, August 1, 2012, objected 400 times in total.
Benjamin Franklin wrote:"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch."
Ballotonia wrote:Testing is for sissies. The actual test is to see how many people complain when any change is made ;)

Galiantus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:58 pm

Sovreignry wrote:
Galiantus wrote:Well you didn't say that, and so far no one has. I am meerly pointing out that while you are detagging regions, you could be doing liberations and defenses, which are more vital to regional survival.

Need numbers for the highlighted.

Okay, fine. You are right about that part of the argument.

Sovreignry
Diplomat

Postby Sovreignry » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:59 pm

Galiantus wrote: Against 3 raiders, you only need 2 defenders to have a shot at successfully defending the region, isn't that right?

You would think so, until basic arithmetic kicks in and you realize 3>2.

In different terms if there is no delegate (which TBR seems to prefer) then if you have any number less you don't have that realistic a shot at defending the region.
From the desk of
You're supposed to be employing the arts of diplomacy, not the ruddy great thumping sledgehammers of diplomacy. -Ardchoille
It would be easier just to incorporate a "Grief Region" button, so you wouldn't even need to make the effort to do the actual raiding. Players could just bounce from region to region and destroy everyone else's efforts at will, without even bothering about WA status. Wouldn't that be nice. -Frisbeeteria

Galiantus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:04 am

Sovreignry wrote:
Galiantus wrote: Against 3 raiders, you only need 2 defenders to have a shot at successfully defending the region, isn't that right?

In different terms if there is no delegate (which TBR seems to prefer) then if you have any number less you don't have that realistic a shot at defending the region.

Yeah. I just said in order to have a shot, not in order to always have a shot.

Sovreignry
Diplomat

Postby Sovreignry » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:08 am

Galiantus wrote:
Sovreignry wrote:

But your neglecting reality where if Raiders discover that we can catch them and bump a native up they will go after delegateless regions instead. Reality hardly ever jives with what we want.
From the desk of

Galiantus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:12 am

Sovreignry wrote:
Galiantus wrote:

But your neglecting reality where if Raiders discover that we can catch them and bump a native up they will go after delegateless regions instead. Reality hardly ever jives with what we want.

But you make them work a little harder to plan a raid. Also, my 2 vs. 3 example is extreme, since raiders have just as hard a time getting people on during the updates as you do. And considering that they have been on almost daily for at least a week, I am sure you are capible of the same at least half the time.
Last edited by Galiantus on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mirror of Erised
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirror of Erised » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:15 am

Galiantus wrote:I like most of this, actually. The point I am trying to make is that when you get bogged down with detagging a few regions while small groups of raiders take between 12 and 20 regions at a time, you allow more damage to occur. And against a usual number of 3 or 4 raiders per update, I don't see what is so hard to match. Against 3 raiders, you only need 2 defenders to have a shot at successfully defending the region, isn't that right?

Well, we usually do defend if we can over doing detags, as what I've noticed as SOP--but I've only been back on the field for the last three updates, so I may be wrong with this. But I do think that this is usually standard procedure. Also, if we do have less than them, we often -can't- defend as Sov pointed out, and thus end up going back to detags. Detags are also important, though, to ensure that the regions don't face more damage than they must after having been raided.

We've been rather successful with our defenses for the last few updates, as Cormac pointed out early on in this thread, and Tim and Cromarty pointed out in the TBR thread. We are defending, and considerably more than we've been detagging.

I'll mention once again that it isn't defenders' faults when a region is destroyed or harmed by raiders--it is singularly those raiders' responsibility. While it'd be nice for us to be able to stop everyone, it's just simply not possible. So when we do miss a region, blame still rests on the hostile initiators taking and doing as they please with the region--not on the defenders.

And also, with respect to getting people on at update--the invaders do have the upper hand here. We have to react to their numbers -immediately- to be able to do anything about stopping their actions. In contrast, raiders can raid if they have two or twenty updaters that update.

I hope that cleared this up adequately, in some sort?

~LS

EDIT: *@($*#($! Darn this puppet! It'd be showing me signed in properly right now. >.>
Last edited by Mirror of Erised on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galiantus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:25 am

Mirror of Erised wrote:
Galiantus wrote:I like most of this, actually. The point I am trying to make is that when you get bogged down with detagging a few regions while small groups of raiders take between 12 and 20 regions at a time, you allow more damage to occur. And against a usual number of 3 or 4 raiders per update, I don't see what is so hard to match. Against 3 raiders, you only need 2 defenders to have a shot at successfully defending the region, isn't that right?

Well, we usually do defend if we can over doing detags, as what I've noticed as SOP--but I've only been back on the field for the last three updates, so I may be wrong with this. But I do think that this is usually standard procedure. Also, if we do have less than them, we often -can't- defend as Sov pointed out, and thus end up going back to detags. Detags are also important, though, to ensure that the regions don't face more damage than they must after having been raided.

We've been rather successful with our defenses for the last few updates, as Cormac pointed out early on in this thread, and Tim and Cromarty pointed out in the TBR thread. We are defending, and considerably more than we've been detagging.

I'll mention once again that it isn't defenders' faults when a region is destroyed or harmed by raiders--it is singularly those raiders' responsibility. While it'd be nice for us to be able to stop everyone, it's just simply not possible. So when we do miss a region, blame still rests on the hostile initiators taking and doing as they please with the region--not on the defenders.

And also, with respect to getting people on at update--the invaders do have the upper hand here. We have to react to their numbers -immediately- to be able to do anything about stopping their actions. In contrast, raiders can raid if they have two or twenty updaters that update.

I hope that cleared this up adequately, in some sort?

~LS

EDIT: *@($*#($! Darn this puppet! It'd be showing me signed in properly right now. >.>

Yes, to a certain extent. I guess you are right about most of the gameplay issues I have. However, I still maintain my same problems with how UDL has been handeling foreign affairs recently.

I would still like to know in what ways you employ your inactive or non-update troops, because if any of them are simply sitting around, I am not exactly pleased.

Lyanna Stark
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyanna Stark » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:38 am

Galiantus wrote:I would still like to know in what ways you employ your inactive or non-update troops, because if any of them are simply sitting around, I am not exactly pleased.

Out of curiosity, in your opinion, what entirely would you like us to be doing with our inactive or non-update troops? I'm not asking as a hostile question, I'm honestly curious of your thoughts on the matter. :)

We do a lot with the ones that want to participate, and try to involve everyone in the UDL as much as we can when we can, but..we're a defender organization--being online and available to either defend, liberate, or detag at update is kind of one of the biggest things you can do to get involved. Like I said, though, we do involve some of our non-updates a shitton. My prime example of this would be Tim, whose been helping with triggering for liberations in the last week (we liberated two regions two majors in a row earlier this week), and is always online and helping with spotting during update too. His WA is busy as Vice Delegate in The North Pacific. :)

We can't force people to participate--but we do the best with who we've got and try to get everyone we can involved and having fun doing so!

((And I'm finally back onto the right nation. Yeesh!))
Last edited by Lyanna Stark on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Lyanna Stark
Sepatarch, Admin, and Vizier of Culture of Osiris
Former Pharaoh (Delegate) of Osiris
♥ Earth Marlowe-Locksley ♥

"Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men. The other 999 follow women." -Groucho Marx
Unibot: "I've turned you into a defender chick and you've turned me into a respectable human being!"
[11:12pm]Mahaj: omg i have earth's endo
[11:12pm] Mahaj: this is the proudest moment of my defending career

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:42 am

And even some of those who aren't on IRC regularly, or even at update, have shown themselves to be available when we need them, be it for a big liberation or for when we need to bring in troops for an ongoing defence or delegacy transfer.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Galiantus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:49 am

Lyanna Stark wrote:
Galiantus wrote:I would still like to know in what ways you employ your inactive or non-update troops, because if any of them are simply sitting around, I am not exactly pleased.

Out of curiosity, in your opinion, what entirely would you like us to be doing with our inactive or non-update troops? I'm not asking as a hostile question, I'm honestly curious of your thoughts on the matter. :)

Well in the past I have suggested that helping founderless regions refound would solve the raiding problem entirely for these regions. If I was at the head of my own defending organization, that is exactly what all my non-updaters would do when they could. The nice thing about this is that even the most very inactive players who get on only once a week could help almost as much as our updaters. Of course an updater is valuable on any day or update, but if regions in want of refounding could reach their goal faster, that will solve some of the problem.

Lyanna Stark
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyanna Stark » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:04 am

Galiantus wrote:
Lyanna Stark wrote:Out of curiosity, in your opinion, what entirely would you like us to be doing with our inactive or non-update troops? I'm not asking as a hostile question, I'm honestly curious of your thoughts on the matter. :)

Well in the past I have suggested that helping founderless regions refound would solve the raiding problem entirely for these regions. If I was at the head of my own defending organization, that is exactly what all my non-updaters would do when they could. The nice thing about this is that even the most very inactive players who get on only once a week could help almost as much as our updaters. Of course an updater is valuable on any day or update, but if regions in want of refounding could reach their goal faster, that will solve some of the problem.

While I very much like that idea, and it could be good for people in founderless regions that want completely -new- regions, empty regions only Cease To Exist during update--which requires being up, well, at update--and the time of update is one of the main problems of our non-updaters (it's really darn late for our younger ones, or really darn early for our Brits, minor is plain inconvenient, etc). I hope this short response makes sense of the slight problem with that idea, it's 4 AM my time so I'm off to bed myself. :P
-Lyanna Stark
Sepatarch, Admin, and Vizier of Culture of Osiris
Former Pharaoh (Delegate) of Osiris
♥ Earth Marlowe-Locksley ♥

"Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men. The other 999 follow women." -Groucho Marx
Unibot: "I've turned you into a defender chick and you've turned me into a respectable human being!"
[11:12pm]Mahaj: omg i have earth's endo
[11:12pm] Mahaj: this is the proudest moment of my defending career

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:41 am

Cormac Stark wrote:
Flibbleites wrote:Hell, I'm surprised someone hasn't used the fact that I've got a post visible in one of those screenshots to try to claim "Mod Bias!" :roll:

I think your statement that you were moving a puppet into Eastern Islands of Dharma, apparently to provide moral support for the invasion and griefing of the region (given the context of the thread in which your statement was made), speaks for itself.

Right, the truth is, I absolutely abhor this entire aspect of NS with a fiery burning passion. In fact, if it were to be banned tomorrow I wouldn't shed a tear. And anyone who actually knows me, already knew that.

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:42 am

Flibbleites wrote:
Cormac Stark wrote:I think your statement that you were moving a puppet into Eastern Islands of Dharma, apparently to provide moral support for the invasion and griefing of the region (given the context of the thread in which your statement was made), speaks for itself.

Right, the truth is, I absolutely abhor this entire aspect of NS with a fiery burning passion. In fact, if it were to be banned tomorrow I wouldn't shed a tear. And anyone who actually knows me, already knew that.

Which aspect?
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:43 am

Flibbleites wrote:
Cormac Stark wrote:I think your statement that you were moving a puppet into Eastern Islands of Dharma, apparently to provide moral support for the invasion and griefing of the region (given the context of the thread in which your statement was made), speaks for itself.

Mod bias!

:p
The Blaatschapen should resign

Cerian Quilor
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Cerian Quilor » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:18 am

Sovreignry wrote:You know, I get tired of saying this...

WE DON'T HAVE MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF UPDATERS EVERY NIGHT LIKE EVERYONE ASSUMES!

Why not?

I mean, Raiders have fairly large numbers of updaters - how is it that Raiders manage to get more? What is it about Raiders that makes them more appealing?

:o

Is it that Raiding is more appealing? No, no, that could never be. It has to be that the sneaky raiders are cheating!
Never underestimate the power of cynicism, pessimism and negativity to prevent terrible things from happening. Only idealists try to build the future on a mountain of bodies.

The Thing to Remember About NationStates is that it is an almost entirely social game - fundamentally, you have no power beyond your own ability to convince people to go along with your ideas. In that sense, even the most dictatorial region is fundamentally democratic.

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:36 am

Cerian Quilor wrote:
Sovreignry wrote:You know, I get tired of saying this...

WE DON'T HAVE MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF UPDATERS EVERY NIGHT LIKE EVERYONE ASSUMES!

Why not?

I mean, Raiders have fairly large numbers of updaters - how is it that Raiders manage to get more? What is it about Raiders that makes them more appealing?

:o

Is it that Raiding is more appealing? No, no, that could never be. It has to be that the sneaky raiders are cheating!

haha no.

Defenders still have more updaters than raiders.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Cerian Quilor
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Cerian Quilor » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:36 am

Lyanna Stark wrote:
Galiantus wrote:

While I very much like that idea, and it could be good for people in founderless regions that want completely -new- regions, empty regions only Cease To Exist during update--which requires being up, well, at update--and the time of update is one of the main problems of our non-updaters (it's really darn late for our younger ones, or really darn early for our Brits, minor is plain inconvenient, etc). I hope this short response makes sense of the slight problem with that idea, it's 4 AM my time so I'm off to bed myself. :P

Yes, but the person who actually founds the new region need only be one updater. Whereas you can use a large number the inactive/non-updater Defenders to help with propping up a delegate so he can eject everyone (even the inactive nations) from the region and passwrd it, thus making the refounding doable. then, come update, once the region has CTE'd, you can immediately make a new one - and for that, you need only one Native, or maybe a single UDLer to do it (and then hand the nation in question over to someone else who is a native of the old region). So instead of needing several updaters, you need just one, and you got use out of your players who (for various reasons) can't make update.

Another idea, amazed you haven't tried it, is to find potential targets for the big ticket raids (founderlless, active community regions that get the raids and occupations that people notice - regions like Stargate and Catholic (though obviously not Catholic now), Belgium, and the like - there are only a handful, comparatively, of big-ticket targets. You could help make said targets more defensible by assigning the less active soldiers, who for whatever reason, can't make update regularly, in packets of one, or two to prop up said regions. And said soldiers, when they can make update, can easily enough leave the big-ticket region for some defending, and then come back when they're done.

@Mahaj: Then where are they?
Never underestimate the power of cynicism, pessimism and negativity to prevent terrible things from happening. Only idealists try to build the future on a mountain of bodies.

The Thing to Remember About NationStates is that it is an almost entirely social game - fundamentally, you have no power beyond your own ability to convince people to go along with your ideas. In that sense, even the most dictatorial region is fundamentally democratic.

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:47 am

Cerian Quilor wrote:I mean, Raiders have fairly large numbers of updaters

Ha.

6 at best for TBR, 2 for ERN, maybe another 12 more total.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:00 am

Cerian Quilor wrote:Another idea, amazed you haven't tried it, is to find potential targets for the big ticket raids (founderlless, active community regions that get the raids and occupations that people notice - regions like Stargate and Catholic (though obviously not Catholic now), Belgium, and the like - there are only a handful, comparatively, of big-ticket targets. You could help make said targets more defensible by assigning the less active soldiers, who for whatever reason, can't make update regularly, in packets of one, or two to prop up said regions. And said soldiers, when they can make update, can easily enough leave the big-ticket region for some defending, and then come back when they're done.

Some people do that actually (being in big-ticket regions that is).
The Blaatschapen should resign

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay