NATION

PASSWORD

The NationStates Republic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

-Carta-
Envoy

Founded: Apr 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -Carta- » Fri May 27, 2011 12:40 am

Mahdah wrote:Brimstone Pact vs Nationstates Replublic...I can sense the horror already :clap:

One is a roleplaying alliance, the other isn't. I don't see your point.
Last edited by -Carta- on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dusk_Kittens
Ambassador

Founded: May 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dusk_Kittens » Fri May 27, 2011 12:41 am

Punk Reloaded wrote:Mahdah,

what's imperialistic about this?

Imperialism - the policy of extending the rule or authority of an empire or nation over foreign countries, or of acquiring and holding colonies and dependencies.

The Republic is not colonizing or acquiring colonies. Regions voluntarily apply to join and then are approved/rejected based on their merits. That's not imperialism.

There is such a thing as cultural imperialism, too, and that's what this smells like to me. I am not authorized to speak for my Region, but whatever my Region decides, my Nation will not be joining. Down with imperialism!
Her Divine Grace,
the Sovereign Principessa Luna,
Ulata-Druidessâ Teutâs di Genovâs,
Ardua-Druidessâ of Dusk Kittens

The Tribal Confederacy of Dusk_Kittens
(a Factbook in progress)
~ Stairsneach ~

My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
(Left Libertarian)

My C4SS Ratings
58% Economic Leftist
63% Anarchist
79% Anti-Militarist
67% Socio-Cultural Liberal
80% Civil Libertarian

"... perché lo universale degli uomini
si pascono così di quel che pare come di quello che è:
anzi, molte volte si muovono
più per le cose che paiono che per quelle che sono."
-- Niccolò Machiavelli,
Discorsi sopra la prima deca di Tito Livio,
Libro Primo, Capitolo 25.

Punk Reloaded
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Reloaded » Fri May 27, 2011 2:28 pm

I love cultural imperialism. We tried this in the meritocracy a few years ago. Fun stuff.

Right now we have 3 regions...ranging in size from 40 to 150 who have applied. I believe this will be beneficial to them and to others that join.

And the radicalness (not a word) of this is that this hasn't been tried (often) in NationStates meaning it will likely fail. But, no guts no glory is my motto.
Former Delegate of The West Pacific
Former Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific

Punk Reloaded - Retired
Big D Baby - Retired
Punk Daddy - Citizen of TSP

In TWP, we go Commando. - Darkesia

Agersia
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agersia » Fri May 27, 2011 3:06 pm

How could interfere with TWP's sovereignty anymore than any region that chooses to join this republic?
Proud Citizen of New Sorvun
WA Representative of New Sorvun

Punk Reloaded
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Reloaded » Fri May 27, 2011 4:04 pm

I apologize, but could you repeat that?

Punk Reloaded - Retired
Big D Baby - Retired

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Sat May 28, 2011 10:48 am

This has actually already been done, to a more severe degree (correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "The Commonwealth" work under the same principles, then collapsed pretty hard when things started to go down?).
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Punk Reloaded
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Reloaded » Sat May 28, 2011 1:01 pm

I apologize, but I had not heard of them. I do believe this is the first time a feeder has tried this model.

Punk Reloaded - Retired
Big D Baby - Retired

Horak
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Horak » Sat May 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Very interesting.
Last edited by Horak on Sun May 29, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muffins are tasty.

Punk Reloaded
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Reloaded » Sat May 28, 2011 5:33 pm

You forgot a couple things

Banning AdSpam
Partnering with Raiders

Punk Reloaded - Retired
Big D Baby - Retired

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Corporate Bordello

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Sat May 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:This has actually already been done, to a more severe degree (correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "The Commonwealth" work under the same principles, then collapsed pretty hard when things started to go down?).

Similarish, but The Commonwealth never really had a capital, and individual regions in the Commonwealth with their own governments were always a very small exception and tended to end their ties to the Commonwealth badly, such as Audux being screwed by a Commonwealth member invasion or the antics of Station Man from Grand Central. Here, each new region joining already has it's own government. I'd say it's closer to the FRA.

Belschaft
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Belschaft » Sat May 28, 2011 9:44 pm

Klaus Devestatorie wrote:
Todd McCloud wrote:This has actually already been done, to a more severe degree (correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "The Commonwealth" work under the same principles, then collapsed pretty hard when things started to go down?).

Similarish, but The Commonwealth never really had a capital, and individual regions in the Commonwealth with their own governments were always a very small exception and tended to end their ties to the Commonwealth badly, such as Audux being screwed by a Commonwealth member invasion or the antics of Station Man from Grand Central. Here, each new region joining already has it's own government. I'd say it's closer to the FRA.

Nah, only if the FRA appointed the delegate of TRR as perpetual Archchancelor, and let TRR pick the Minister of Defence.
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of.
You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

Caprecia
Secretary

Founded: Jun 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caprecia » Sat May 28, 2011 10:48 pm

Punk actually has a good but old concept. The idea of some unified regional entity has been passed back and forth through the years of nationstates. There have been success stories, you had the Commonwealth and the FRA, but there's never been a solid.... how should I said, "united states" type entity in nationstates. I can take it from personal experience, it aint easy. Aside from disagreements about the idea in your own region, you need to deal with differences from other regions in order for this to be successful. Few years back there was an attempt between Caprecia, Liberalia, Liberty Alliance and Paradisia (now collapsed) to form a union of some sort, and we came very close. Unfortunately there was an even split between the structure of the government. I actually wished I made compromise but the past is the past.

I would certainly support Caprecia to join some kind of a "United regions", however it would take some convincing of our citizens, unsure whether they'd go ahead with it. Provided it was a sizable Union with regional limits in size (say 30 nations). This idea has always had potential, it's just a matter of getting beyond the bickering and differences.
Founder of Caprecia

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Sun May 29, 2011 4:39 am

Caprecia wrote:Punk actually has a good but old concept. The idea of some unified regional entity has been passed back and forth through the years of nationstates. There have been success stories, you had the Commonwealth and the FRA, but there's never been a solid.... how should I said, "united states" type entity in nationstates. I can take it from personal experience, it aint easy. Aside from disagreements about the idea in your own region, you need to deal with differences from other regions in order for this to be successful. Few years back there was an attempt between Caprecia, Liberalia, Liberty Alliance and Paradisia (now collapsed) to form a union of some sort, and we came very close. Unfortunately there was an even split between the structure of the government. I actually wished I made compromise but the past is the past.

I would certainly support Caprecia to join some kind of a "United regions", however it would take some convincing of our citizens, unsure whether they'd go ahead with it. Provided it was a sizable Union with regional limits in size (say 30 nations). This idea has always had potential, it's just a matter of getting beyond the bickering and differences.

Seeing as we're both good RP regions, perhaps we should start some kind of "RP Union" to bolster activity and diversity? I'd be totally for that.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Punk Reloaded
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Reloaded » Sun May 29, 2011 6:41 am

This certainly would not be easy, but I believe one of the drawbacks of these unions is that they tap the energy of their members and move activity from the member region to the multi-regional organization. No doubt, there will be increased activity on the TWP forums as a result. But much of our efforts will be focused in-game to help regions grow and stay active in their own right. My thought is this, if we have inactive regions as members, the overall organization is weak. We need active regions to grow and attract other regions.

We're having an interesting conversation on the Lazarus boards that I believe will be helpful in the long run for this organization.

It's like a scale, finding the right balance between regional sovereignty and international linkage. Not easy to balance to keep activity alive and make the org effective.

Punk Reloaded - Retired
Big D Baby - Retired

Libertaran
Political Columnist

Founded: May 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertaran » Tue May 31, 2011 12:42 pm

Sounds like a good idea.... and alot of effort.
Last edited by Libertaran on Tue May 31, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wibblefeet
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 02, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Wibblefeet » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:56 pm

Punk Reloaded wrote:Here is the Constitution:
Constitution of The NationStates Republic

[*]The House of Lords shall be responsible for the following:
  • approve treaties and set the terms of regional membership;
  • select The delegates of ALL member regions on a periodic basis;
  • selecting certain officers of The Republic;
  • approving/rejecting any item not specifically listed as powers for either The Assembly
    or The House of Lords;

Membership Requirements
The House of Lords
  • must have a national population of any nation of at least 1 billion people;
  • must have an application approved by sitting members of the House of Lords (50%+1 required);
  • must have been a member of The Assembly for at least 30 days and made contributions (as defined by the House of Lords);
  • any of the preceding requirements may be waived if the applicants requests a waiver and is able to attain a 2/3rds vote within their application.
  • all delegates of the republic are automatically members of the House of Lords regardless of other requirements.
  • members of the House of Lords shall not be counted as members of the Regional Assembly during which time they are members of the House of Lords. Should any member of the House lose membership therein, they shall become members of the Regional Assembly providing no court action barring such re-inclusion.
  • the membership total of The House of Lords shall not exceed that of The Assembly. Should the House of Lords membership exceed that of The Assembly, members of The House of Lords shall be placed within the Assembly ranks based upon seniority.

So - The House of Lords pretty much controls the show. And that will be the oldest NS members, plus whoever they choose to let into their club. Exclusinve of any old members they don't like.
Oh, they have to let in all the delegates - you know, the ones THEY select?

Ouch. Maybe it wasn't intended to be a "good ol' boys club", but I can see it becoming one VERY quickly.
Former Archchancellor, FRA; Former Brigadier General, FRA Rangers
Citizen of 00000 A World Power
-----
Former Agent (retired) The New Inquisition CIO
Iectâre Cadmus Black Clavell

Numero Capitan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 27, 2007
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Numero Capitan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:32 pm

Caprecia wrote:Punk actually has a good but old concept. The idea of some unified regional entity has been passed back and forth through the years of nationstates. There have been success stories, you had the Commonwealth and the FRA, but there's never been a solid.... how should I said, "united states" type entity in nationstates. I can take it from personal experience, it aint easy. Aside from disagreements about the idea in your own region, you need to deal with differences from other regions in order for this to be successful. Few years back there was an attempt between Caprecia, Liberalia, Liberty Alliance and Paradisia (now collapsed) to form a union of some sort, and we came very close. Unfortunately there was an even split between the structure of the government. I actually wished I made compromise but the past is the past.

Interesting that you mention Liberalia as the Liberalian Federation is probably one of the most successful attempts at uniting regions so closely, but the smaller size of their regions helped a lot.
Minister of Defense, 00000 A World Power
Minister of Intelligence, FRA
Potato General
Senator and Attorney General, Europeia
Minister of Security and Minister of Justice, The South Pacific
Minister of War, Fidelia
Royal Council, The Last Kingdom
Crown Prince, Unknown and The Brotherhood of Blood
Delegate, REDACTED
REDACTED and REDACTED, REDACTED
REDACTED, REDACTED REDACTED
REDACTED, dont be nosey

Rugenia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rugenia » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:16 am

Omg this is going to be bad!

The Globe and Post
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

The NationStates Republic

Postby The Globe and Post » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:51 pm

With over 5,000 nations, the NationStates Republic is one of the largest alliances in the game currently by nation count. Few however have heard of it beyond the alliance and even within the alliance its presence is relatively weak. Hence, this article seeks to expand that presence by providing information as to what the NS Republic is, its history and its future.

The NS Republic is the brainchild of the former Delegate of The West Pacific Punk Daddy, with the idea being brought up in April 2011. It started out as a loose collection of regions, with the long-term goal (according to Punk Daddy) being that regional members would become states and that the NS Republic would become a super region with one elected leader (as well as most of the control being held by The West Pacific). By the time the first convention of regions arrived in August 2011 however, this goal would prove to be out of reach. The big new regions to have become members, Skyrim (over 300 nations at the time), Region Inc (over 600 nations at the time) and Empires of Earth (being the oldest and arguably the most influential due to membership and its alliances) disagreed with the direction Punk Daddy wished to take it in. To further compound on this, Punk Daddies successor: Enlightened Defenders also did not share this view. Hence, the NS Republic began to move more towards being a loose collection of regions with the main focus of the Republic being resource trading, building ties and regional aid.

Under this model, regions, which were good at graphic design, for example could offer that to another region in exchange for recruitment help. Larger regions, in particular Skyrim and Region Inc at the time realized that they would be offering more than they received and this was something they were fine with. Empires of Earth was in a period of revival, which would see them hit 195 nations, but at the time was still under 100 nations and very cautious.

On January 1st 2012 the NS Republic took another evolution in passing its constitution. This made the House of Lords of The West Pacific, the governing body of the Republic, with regional members getting a certain amount of representatives. It would be run by a President and have various positions, however, the power of the President and the NS Republic in general over individual regions is non-existent. Hence, the first elected President could play a vital role in determining what shape the NS Republic will take place.

To what extent are regions like Skyrim, Empires of Earth and Region Inc willing to be involved?

How will the first President lead the NS Republic? Will it take advantage of the tremendous resources under its belt? Centralized or decentralized? Will the NS Republic play a large role in the game in the possibly near future?

All these questions remain to be answered and are up in the air as the NS Republic continues to grow and evolve. It could be interesting particularly if it manages to gain more of a presence and given the regional members as well as growth of it, should provide non-NS Republic regions with opportunities to expand their own presence within the republic and on the NS stage in general.

Punk Reloaded
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Reloaded » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:41 pm

*puts the shovel down after a few hours digging in the cemetery*

As the post above notes, the alliance has evolved since it's inception last year...but it is still going strong through the efforts of many. I'm excited where the alliance will go over the next several months. What I also like is how the alliance has and continues to help member regions beyond just military aide.

Can we do things better? Certainly. But I invite you to check us out at our new forum:

http://z13.invisionfree.invalid.com/nationstate ... /index.php?

Punk Reloaded - Retired
Big D Baby - Retired

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Punk Reloaded wrote:Can we do things better? Certainly.

I'll say.

When it was suggested Osiris join the Republic things like this were being seriously discussed by the NSR:

the SUSPICIOUS HABITS INTER-REGIONAL TALLY or S.H.I.T. list "How S.H.I.T.s are produced:Each region will add to the list of offenders that they have had trouble with locally. This list can be compiled with the aid of an Anonymous Security Survey, or A.S.S.Therefore, each region's S.H.I.T. will come out of its A.S.S."
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Punk Reloaded
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Reloaded » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:17 pm

Cromarty wrote:
Punk Reloaded wrote:Can we do things better? Certainly.

I'll say.

When it was suggested Osiris join the Republic things like this were being seriously discussed by the NSR:

the SUSPICIOUS HABITS INTER-REGIONAL TALLY or S.H.I.T. list "How S.H.I.T.s are produced:Each region will add to the list of offenders that they have had trouble with locally. This list can be compiled with the aid of an Anonymous Security Survey, or A.S.S.Therefore, each region's S.H.I.T. will come out of its A.S.S."

hehehe...well, I can say that I have not seen such discussions of that nature recently. Although it must have been good for a laugh. :D

Punk Reloaded - Retired
Big D Baby - Retired

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:05 pm

[...]select The delegates of ALL member regions on a periodic basis[...]
This would turn most regions off, especially those regions that want to democratically elect their own delegates; also 'on a periodic basis' is incredibly vague, does that mean every month, every 6 months, every year or just at random times that the House of Lords decides upon? Wouldn't it be better for them to approve new delegates, and allow member regions to follow their own processes in selecting a delegate. If a delegate isn't suitable then the House of Lords could just not approve him/her. :blink:
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Punk Reloaded
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Reloaded » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:31 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:
[...]select The delegates of ALL member regions on a periodic basis[...]
This would turn most regions off, especially those regions that want to democratically elect their own delegates; also 'on a periodic basis' is incredibly vague, does that mean every month, every 6 months, every year or just at random times that the House of Lords decides upon? Wouldn't it be better for them to approve new delegates, and allow member regions to follow their own processes in selecting a delegate. If a delegate isn't suitable then the House of Lords could just not approve him/her. :blink:

Indeed it did turn off many regions. My concept of letting go a bit of regional sovereignty for the betterment of the Republic didn't catch on. Things have changed this year and the NSR works more like a typical alliance now.

Punk Reloaded - Retired
Big D Baby - Retired

People United Together
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby People United Together » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:03 pm

Greetings!

I am People United Together, President of the NS Republic. Feel free to TG me on NS!

Here's is all the news from the NationStates Republic, just click on the poorly concealed links to go directly to the information. I hope to see you on the forum, you don't have to be a House of Lords member to participate, just a citizen of a member region.

List of Member Regions & House of Lords Roster: link

Highlights: "Back to School" Nation Decline, Amendment Convention Opened, Nominations Opened, New Aid Crew Forum

Recent Trends:

All around Nationstates regions are noticing a decline in players. The root cause has been identified as people going “back to school.” Be prepared to push recruiting in the coming months as students get accustomed to homework and extracurricular activities. link

Violet has announced a change to the raider/defender game. There is going to be “a relatively small change to slightly increase randomness into update times.”

Later on, in November or December, a summit of major raider/defender groups will be held to “comprehensively review the R/D game, with a view to making significant changes.” One must apply, and discussion ideas include the switching mechanism, influence, unique rules for feeders, and deferred elections.

Violet says, “The aim of the summit will be to identify what changes we can make to best improve the R/D experience overall. Hopefully we can emerge from it with a relatively small set of interesting proposals which we can implement over the following months.”

House of Lords:

Amendment Convention: link
We have officially opened the convention to amend the Constitution. It is absolutely VITAL that everyone takes a look at it and comments. I have asked that we only amend the Constitution slightly until we actually elect other officers and get a feel for how things will work. That way, we will know what the kinks are and can properly iron them out.

Elections: link
Come to the House of Lords to nominate nations for WA Minister, Chief Justice, and Speaker. Nominations shall be open for five days, starting tonight at the major update, then the elections will last three days.

Legislation:

I have drafted House of Lords Rules of Order for discussion, but until we pass legislation, my rules will be the de facto Rules of Order. Your input would be greatly appreciated. link

The “New Members Approval Law” is being amended. If you would like to join, or at least get more information, now is the time, because soon you will need HoL approval again. link

Cooperation:

Aid Crews: link
Inspired by Enlightened Defender's comment, “...Once we get a few people doing it, the host region can time a recruitment drive to coincide with the crew being in, and [the crew can] boost the forum activity artificially until the new nations get settled. We need more people to join in, then we'll have a roaming party!” an entire forum has been dedicated to his Aid Crews idea.

The purpose of the forum is to not just serve as their headquarters, but to also be the home of their “esprit de corps” in between aiding regions. Non-Stop Partying!!!

Air crews aim to test out ways they can help, and see if they can have an impact in five to seven days time. The crew is now in the Dominion of Markarth. Contact ED if you're interested in the Aid Crew coming to your region.

Thanks for reading,
--PUT
Put, an impertinent nobody.

Repeal SC#109

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay