NATION

PASSWORD

Latin motto clinic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hetairos
Spokesperson

Founded: May 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Latin motto clinic

Postby Hetairos » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:09 am

Starblaydia wrote:I have a feeling my current 'latin' motto is off, slightly, but I'm way to used to it to change it now. If you could tell me quite how wrong it actually might be, I'd be obliged.

"Fides, Gloria, Sanguis", hopefully translates as "Honour, Glory, Blood". I've seen 'Fides' as anything from Fi to Fideles, too, so I iagine there are some differences?

That seems right. 'Fides' can mean honour, although it's not the most common meaning (normally translated as something like belief etc).
"Germanitas Libertorum"
Embassies and ambassadors in Hetairos:
Allanea-Stepan Kamensky
N3wgr0unds-Cyril Malma
Kim Jong-Ila-Hu Yun
Ledarre-Lord Heratio Wick

West Zirconia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby West Zirconia » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:15 am

I had in mind "Everything in Moderation" and came up with "Omnis in Temperantia"

Now you're going to tell me this is horribly wrong, and hopefully how to make it horribly right?

(perhaps I should have stuck with Welsh...)

Rustafari
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rustafari » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:16 am

Free market capitalism, path to prosperity

Marlencom
Envoy

Founded: Mar 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Marlencom » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:23 am

Paving the Way to Communism
Shofercia wrote:And considering your past claims about Russia, such as "Soviet technology was shit", and "There was 7 fucking decades of Soviet rule that destroyed the economy", I have trouble taking anything you say about Russia seriously.

Communist Mindrili
Attaché

Founded: Mar 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Mindrili » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:30 am

From each according to their ability, to each according to their needs

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:41 am

*steps out of the WA and ducks out of what looks like an angry mob yelling 'For Belgium!' in order to tend her thread*

Skeenation wrote:To be remembered, is to be great.

Meminari est magnus fieri.
(Cheating a bit here - "To be remembered is to become great." If you really want to say "to be great," change fieri to esse - I just didn't want to repeat the verb.)

Third Spanish States wrote:It was meant as "Strive to have no master..."

Capta serviri nemini praeterquam tibi.
(Literally, "Strive to be a slave to/serve no one other than yourself.")

Vaarshire wrote:The motto of my country is supposed to be "From the Prince, Light" (or Princess in the case of a female monarch). However, the internet translators I used- this was a while ago, though, and I don't recall looking for a "second opinion"- seemed to use the same word for prince and king. I guess it makes sense, because Prince usually means "son of the King" but in this context the Prince is the ruler.

Anyway, the motto I currently use is "Ex Rege, Lux". I'm fairly positive that this is wrong on several levels. If you could provide me with proper translations for "From the Prince, Light" and "From the Princess, Light", that would be just great.

To echo Hetairos and North Avayu a bit... Since the Romans didn't have a king following the expulsion of the Tarquins, their vocabulary for monarchic rule is underdeveloped compared to, say, medieval Europe. In the Empire, when you have a monarchy in all but name, they do use the word princeps, which originally was part of the title for the most distinguished senator, who had the privilege of speaking first. It originally meant simply "first," "chief," or "principal." Augustus takes great care with his propaganda to avoid being called a king, and so his designated successors are understood by a constellation of legal privileges, rather than a single title. When they talked about princes and princesses, it was only as the son or daughter of a king, and so that's exactly what they said - filius (son) or filia (daughter) regis. Princeps, then, is probably what you're looking for. Luckily, people invented a feminine form for it, later - principissa. Anyway, long story short:
Ex principe, lux or Ex principissa, lux.

Ardchoille wrote:Given the nature of the nation in question, a word that looks close to potato will instantly suggest vodka, so I think the plural is decidedly appropriate. Thank you.

:lol: You're welcome! And you're right, I'll have to watch what I give them for homework... no more sentences about nailing heads to the rostrum...

Heaven Hieghts wrote:Vos es Bardus

Vos estis bardi.
(The rest are, as North Avayu said, correct.)

Heaven Hieghts wrote:And how would you say "Im going to put a wooden stake in your chest"? Or "I shall stab you with my trusty lance"?

Pectum tuum palo confodiam.
(Literally, "I shall stab your chest with a wooden stick.")

Te mea lancea firma confodiam.
(A lancea is a light spear with a leather thong fastened around the middle. Hasta could be used for spears more generally.)

Heaven Hieghts wrote:What about "I shall slay you with a large sword!" or "I shall shine my flash light in your face!"

Te magno ferro necabo!
(Using ferrum as a generalizing word for sword.)

Meo instrumento micanti in vultu tuo utor.
(Flash light? Really? Best I can do.)

Note: for all of these, I've been assuming you're talking to a single person.

Glen-Rhodes wrote:I've always wondered if my motto was correct Latin. "Sceptrum publicus per populus." It's supposed to translate to "Rule of the people by the people."

With North Avayu on this one.

Spartan Philidelphia wrote:"Corrupt, Madness, and Spartan! (:D)

This isn't the best English, since corrupt and Spartan are adjectives and madness is a noun (which you seem to want to use as a predicate, as in "It's madness!"). Adjectives need to be describing something, and the question of what they're describing matters in Latin because the number and gender have to change to match it. I'm going to assume the adjectives are describing your nation (a feminine word) and change "madness" to the adjective "insane."

Corrupta, Insana, Lacedaemonia
(The Romans have a large vocabulary for moral indecency, so I picked one with more political overtones - bribery, etc.)

Altrulia wrote:I put this through an online translator and after rerunning it through in Latin it came out horribly butchered.

It is better to light a candle, rather than curse the darkness.

Melius candelam accendere quam tenebras exsecrari.

Sirocco wrote:"Don't ask me, I only govern here".

Ne me roges, hic moderor modo.
(There are plenty of other words for "govern," but I thought moderor sounded appropriate... if that's too tongue-in-cheek, I can find you a better one. :P )

Incarna wrote:“Victor tolero patientia”

It's meant to be "The victor endures suffering," but going by the odds of the mottos posted in this thread, I'm sure there's something wrong with it. :)

Victor dolorem patitur.
(Yup.)

Starblaydia wrote:I have a feeling my current 'latin' motto is off, slightly, but I'm way to used to it to change it now. If you could tell me quite how wrong it actually might be, I'd be obliged.

"Fides, Gloria, Sanguis", hopefully translates as "Honour, Glory, Blood". I've seen 'Fides' as anything from Fi to Fideles, too, so I iagine there are some differences?

Fides often means faith in the sense of trust - as in "break faith" with someone. It means honor, then, in the sense of keeping your promises. If you want something that means... oh... a sense of aristocratic reputation and worth, as in "the honor of my house is at stake!" then you may want to go with something like dignitas instead.

West Zirconia wrote:I had in mind "Everything in Moderation" and came up with "Omnis in Temperantia"

Now you're going to tell me this is horribly wrong, and hopefully how to make it horribly right?

No, no - very close! I think there's an actual Latin quote for this one, so let me look that up and get back to you...

EDIT: Fixed quote tag.
Last edited by Naivetry on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:44 am

Naivetry wrote:

"Fides, Gloria, Sanguis", hopefully translates as "Honour, Glory, Blood". I've seen 'Fides' as anything from Fi to Fideles, too, so I imagine there are some differences?

Fides often means faith in the sense of trust - as in "break faith" with someone. It means honor, then, in the sense of keeping your promises. If you want something that means... oh... a sense of aristocratic reputation and worth, as in "the honor of my house is at stake!" then you may want to go with something like dignitas instead.

In that case, I've fluked the most appropriate latin word possible - many thanks for (both of) your help!
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:26 pm

West Zirconia wrote:I had in mind "Everything in Moderation" and came up with "Omnis in Temperantia"

The sentiment is everywhere, so let me borrow some Cicero.

Suus cuique modus est.
("Each thing has its own proper measure." That's a more refined version of the idea, based on Aristotle, and it's some beautifully compact Latin.)

These are utterly foreign concepts to Roman society. I can string words together, but "free" and "market" meant nothing to the Romans when used in combination, and "capitalism" as such did not exist.

Rustafari wrote:Free market capitalism, path to prosperity

Capitalismus sine modo, via ad prosperitatem.

Marlencom wrote:Paving the Way to Communism

Munire viam ad Communismum

Communist Mindrili wrote:From each according to their ability, to each according to their needs

De quoque pro facultate, cuique pro necessitudine.
(An ugly translation for such a famous phrase, but it's the best I've got.)
Last edited by Naivetry on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sirocco
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sirocco » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:26 am

This is an excellent thread. Thanks for the translation!

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Thank you. Very nice!
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Havensky
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:28 pm

Could you translate "Empathy Over Apathy"?
The Skybound Republic of Havensky
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:31 pm

Havensky wrote:Could you translate "Empathy Over Apathy"?

Empathia Super Lentitudo
(Not quite sure on the use of super here, but I think it works... empathia is just taken from the Greek, since the next closest thing would be either humanitas, which is much broader than empathy, or something like societas doloris, which is long.)
Last edited by Naivetry on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Heaven Hieghts
Minister

Founded: Jun 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Heaven Hieghts » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:46 pm

Ha ha ha! Now I can say these mean things to people that make me angry!
Guess what, I'm radical left

West-Flanders
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby West-Flanders » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:18 am

What's the translation for “Unity in diversity”
Last edited by West-Flanders on Sun Dec 31, 9999 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North Avayu
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Avayu » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:44 am

West-Flanders wrote:What's the translation for “Unity in diversity”

The easiest translation would be "Unitas in diversitate"

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:26 pm

North Avayu wrote:
West-Flanders wrote:What's the translation for “Unity in diversity”

The easiest translation would be "Unitas in diversitate"

Yep.

(I've been thinking it's kind of silly for me to continue posting agreement with things that are right - assume that other people's answers are just fine unless I get in a fight with them over the appropriate use of the dative of reference or something. :P )

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:46 pm

Just making sure that what I have in my signature is proper?

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

Solar Communes
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solar Communes » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:02 pm

"For freedom, I shall fight eons"

It is supposed to be ambiguous, and equally interpretable as "For freedom, I shall fight forever" and as "For freedom, I shall fight eternity". Not sure if such ambiguity is possible in Latin. If it's not, I'd rather the closest Latin phrase to the latter.
Ж
Space Anarchist Miscegenated Black&White Viking Vampire Shapeshifting Pirates in Space.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Hogsweat, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, North Point, Varejao, Ulanpataar, Sharfghotten, Franberry, Tyrandis, Rosbaningrad, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania: All unjustly deleted. 09/27 Nevar Forget.
Abandon Humanity, one step at a time | Suffer not the Yiffster. Join ANTIFA: The Anti-furry Alliance
Solar Communes Wiki | World of Dustpeople(Species Factbook) | Documentary on Solarian Diplomacy with Aliens
Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

Greenlandic People
Envoy

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greenlandic People » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi.

Could I please have the closest possible translation of: "Even Death is Preferable to Shame"

Thanks!
Member of ODECON
Regional Pages: Forum | Web page | Wiki Page
National Pages: Wiki | Factbook
Author of GA Resolutions: #58 | #64

Jimanistan
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Jimanistan » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:10 pm

Salve!

I, admittedly, am not well versed in Latin... It's an interesting language, and fun to talk in, but I can barely speak a word...

Could you translate "Arise, ye prisoners of starvation!" into Latin? It doesn't have to be precise, it just has to get the point across... *hums the tune to the Internationale*
The Workers' State of Jimanistan
Demonym: Jimani
Capital: Fenario, Capital District
Head of State: Prime Minister Marie Clemente
Head of Government: Speaker Francois Durand

"The very cannibalism of the counterrevolution will convince the nations that there is only one way in which the murderous death agonies of the old society and the bloody birth throes of the new society can be shortened, simplified and concentrated, and that way is revolutionary terror."
- Karl Marx

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:33 pm

Caelapes wrote:Just making sure that what I have in my signature is proper?

"VIVAT·CRESCAT·FLOREAT·REX·ROSEUS"

This would mean something like, "May the Rose King live, thrive, and flourish." The Latin is better than the English, actually - if you're playing on the meaning of "rose," you've picked some great words. :D

Solar Communes wrote:"For freedom, I shall fight eons"

It is supposed to be ambiguous, and equally interpretable as "For freedom, I shall fight forever" and as "For freedom, I shall fight eternity". Not sure if such ambiguity is possible in Latin. If it's not, I'd rather the closest Latin phrase to the latter.

Pro libertate, aeternitatem certabo.
(Happily, Latin uses the accusative case for both duration of time and direct objects, so the ambiguity works.)

Greenlandic People wrote:Hi.

Could I please have the closest possible translation of: "Even Death is Preferable to Shame"

Thanks!

Hi.

Etiam mors potior dedecore.

You're welcome. :)

EDIT: Fixed potior!

Jimanistan wrote:Salve!

I, admittedly, am not well versed in Latin... It's an interesting language, and fun to talk in, but I can barely speak a word...

Could you translate "Arise, ye prisoners of starvation!" into Latin? It doesn't have to be precise, it just has to get the point across... *hums the tune to the Internationale*

Salve!

O captivi famis, surgite!
(Eh, something like that.)
Last edited by Naivetry on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:38 pm

Ex Deo Victoria-Out of God, Victory. Right?
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Jimanistan
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Jimanistan » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:50 pm

"O captives of famine, rise", right?

that's pretty close, gratias tibi ago!
The Workers' State of Jimanistan
Demonym: Jimani
Capital: Fenario, Capital District
Head of State: Prime Minister Marie Clemente
Head of Government: Speaker Francois Durand

"The very cannibalism of the counterrevolution will convince the nations that there is only one way in which the murderous death agonies of the old society and the bloody birth throes of the new society can be shortened, simplified and concentrated, and that way is revolutionary terror."
- Karl Marx

Democratic Eurasia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Eurasia » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:56 am

This isn't for my motto, but could you tell me what the latin words for 'predator' and 'scorpion' are, please?
"Jenkins... chap with wings, there. Five rounds rapid." Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

By the way, please excuse all spelling and grammar mistakes- they are indeed numerous and highly irritating. If its any consolation they annoy me just as much. Its just combing through and editing your post for a 3rd time for that last 'their' that should be 'they're' would last me to the next general election. I'm not good with keyboards. But I am a good speller in the real world. Really. I'm not just saying that.
Honestly.

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Democratic Eurasia wrote:This isn't for my motto, but could you tell me what the latin words for 'predator' and 'scorpion' are, please?

Prædator and scorpio.

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay