NATION

PASSWORD

Latin motto clinic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bieni
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Bieni » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:43 am

Salve.

For this nation, I wanted to have a Latin motto that basically means "Peace under light of day" / "Serenity under daylight".

My attempt at constructing this phrase resulted in "Serenitas in lux". If there's any way to make it more faithful to the intended meaning, do let me know.
Cosie's side puppet. The only thing making big waves out of this island is the surrounding sea.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:16 am

Pax I think suits a motto better. Is there a reason why you chose 'in' (in) and not 'sub' (under)?

Pax sub luce
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:43 pm

I am interested in checking the wording for my motto, please!

The English translation I seek is "We Have the Will" (in the sense of "the willpower to get something done")

My current Latin is "Voluntatem Habemus"

I know word order can be a bit flexible, and that "Habemus Papam" is the announcement for a new Pope - would I need to reverse my words? Also, is "Voluntatem" the correct word and conjugation to be using?

Many thanks in advance.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:02 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:I am interested in checking the wording for my motto, please!

The English translation I seek is "We Have the Will" (in the sense of "the willpower to get something done")

I know word order can be a bit flexible, and that "Habemus Papam" is the announcement for a new Pope - would I need to reverse my words? Also, is "Voluntatem" the correct word and conjugation to be using?

Many thanks in advance.

That looks correct. For reference, Latin word order is highly flexible. Your order is actually more standard, but you're also welcome to reverse them if you like how it sounds better.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:54 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Verdant Haven wrote:I am interested in checking the wording for my motto, please!

Many thanks in advance.

That looks correct. For reference, Latin word order is highly flexible. Your order is actually more standard, but you're also welcome to reverse them if you like how it sounds better.

Thank you kindly!

Bieni
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Bieni » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Great Nortend wrote:Pax I think suits a motto better. Is there a reason why you chose 'in' (in) and not 'sub' (under)?

Pax sub luce

When I was trying to come up with the motto, I was thinking of using 'in' (in) the same way it's used in the English phrase "Remain in light". I thought 'sub' (under) wouldn't quite fit since light isn't a tangible object that can be placed directly over someone.

Thanks for the response!
Cosie's side puppet. The only thing making big waves out of this island is the surrounding sea.

Bruttain
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruttain » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:22 am

Conoga wrote:
Bruttain wrote:Actually, thinking further, I might use both of those designations as alternative epithets for this single Aspect, with which is used in a specific situation tending to depend on the nature of the effort in which Her aid is hoped-for.

‘Phaëtone’ does look like a good idea to me, yes, especially as mythology names another daughter of Helios as Phaethusa. I’m now also considering ‘Chryse (i.e. ‘Golden’) for this.

In a ‘Who’s Who in Classical Mythology’, I've found ‘Elater’ as a Greek term for “Driver” (meaning “Charioteer”), and I might use this instead of ‘Auriga’.
Chrysea, probably
Elatrix is a maybe feminine form, my Greek's bad

Thank you.

Crysuko
Negotiator

Left-Leaning College State

Postby Crysuko » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:56 pm

"I belong, you belong, we belong to Crysuko"
thanks in advance
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Official thread euthanologist
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

Conoga
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:56 am

Crysuko wrote:"I belong, you belong, we belong to Crysuko"
thanks in advance
Insum, ines, insumus ad Crisucum

Eassex
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eassex » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:08 am

Could someone translate “our people, our homeland” into Latin, please?
The State of Eassex / Ēassāchīse Stāt

“When people say that the values of Islam are compassion, tolerance, and freedom, I look at reality, at real cultures and governments, and I see that it simply isn’t so. People in the West swallow this sort of thing because they have learned not to examine the religions or cultures of minorities too critically, for fear of being called racist. It fascinates them that I am not afraid to do so.”
Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Infidel

Conoga
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:12 am

Eassex wrote:Could someone translate “our people, our homeland” into Latin, please?
Populus noster, patria nostra

Eassex
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eassex » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:19 am

Conoga wrote:
Eassex wrote:Could someone translate “our people, our homeland” into Latin, please?
Populus noster, patria nostra

Thanks!
The State of Eassex / Ēassāchīse Stāt

“When people say that the values of Islam are compassion, tolerance, and freedom, I look at reality, at real cultures and governments, and I see that it simply isn’t so. People in the West swallow this sort of thing because they have learned not to examine the religions or cultures of minorities too critically, for fear of being called racist. It fascinates them that I am not afraid to do so.”
Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Infidel

Conoga
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:23 pm

Eassex wrote:
Conoga wrote:Populus noster, patria nostra

Thanks!
Libenter!

McChimp
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby McChimp » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Don't suppose anybody could translate "Rights by rights falter"/"Rights by rights founder" for me?

A friend suggested "iura iuribus claudent"-is that right?
Last edited by McChimp on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
"So we can believe the big ones?"
YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.
"They're not the same at all!"
YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.' - Hogfather, Terry Pratchett.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:41 pm

What does that even mean in English?
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Conoga
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:26 pm

McChimp wrote:"Rights by rights falter"
iura iuribus titubat (laws by laws falter/stagger/etc.)
iura iuribus claudet (laws by laws limp/hobble/etc.(not claudent(that would be laws by laws limping/hobbling/etc.)))
iura iuribus deficit (laws by laws fail/abandon/etc.)
Great Nortend wrote:What does that even mean in English?
I'm pretty sure they meant flounder loool
in the case you did not, it's iura iuribus auctor, but it's a nonsense sentence
If you like the look more, jura juribus XX is the more common spelling, iura iurbus is by no means incorrect

(j/i)ura (j/i)uribus also means soups by soups, which is fun

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:29 pm

I still don't understand what 'laws by laws falter' means. Does it mean that laws are failed or brought down by other laws?

Conoga
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:30 pm

Great Nortend wrote:I still don't understand what 'laws by laws falter' means. Does it mean that laws are failed or brought down by other laws?
I think so?

Like the right to security versus the right to freedom, yeah?

I eagerly away M. McChimp's clarification, because I also don't know
Last edited by Conoga on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

McChimp
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby McChimp » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:23 am

Conoga wrote:I think so?

Like the right to security versus the right to freedom, yeah?

I eagerly away M. McChimp's clarification, because I also don't know

It's from Coriolanus, a Shakespeare play, and my understanding of it is that only a right may truly erase another right. Like security versus freedom, as you say.

Thank you all very much.
'YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
"So we can believe the big ones?"
YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.
"They're not the same at all!"
YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.' - Hogfather, Terry Pratchett.

New Totzka
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Totzka » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:37 am

Could someone translate something along the lines of "I am what others think" or "I am what others think I am" please. Thanks :)
Previous nation of the Tsunterlands, kept alive for WA purposes

Erythrean Thebes
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Erythrean Thebes » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:11 am

Sum Aliorum Mihi Sentiones

Edit: I could also see Sum Ut Aliorum Mihi Sensum Est

Edit 2: In latin to preserve the sense of the phrase you could also switch it, like "Ut Me Opinantur Alii, Ita Sum Ego"
Last edited by Erythrean Thebes on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ἐρύθρα᾽Θήβαι
Factbook | Embassy | Religion | Community
Create a Colony in YN!
ATTN DEMOCRACIES - JOIN THE OCEANIC SECURITY COUNCIL - SAVE DEMOCRACY

New Totzka
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Totzka » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:59 am

Erythrean Thebes wrote:Sum Aliorum Mihi Sentiones

Edit: I could also see Sum Ut Aliorum Mihi Sensum Est

Edit 2: In latin to preserve the sense of the phrase you could also switch it, like "Ut Me Opinantur Alii, Ita Sum Ego"

Thank you :)
Previous nation of the Tsunterlands, kept alive for WA purposes

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:41 pm

Sum qui me opinantur esse, is what I would propose. 'I am what they (others) deem me to be'. You could potentially get rid of the final 'esse'.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Erythrean Thebes
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Erythrean Thebes » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:12 am

Great Nortend wrote:Sum qui me opinantur esse, is what I would propose. 'I am what they (others) deem me to be'. You could potentially get rid of the final 'esse'.

Hmm, I would do 'quem' here...
Ἐρύθρα᾽Θήβαι
Factbook | Embassy | Religion | Community
Create a Colony in YN!
ATTN DEMOCRACIES - JOIN THE OCEANIC SECURITY COUNCIL - SAVE DEMOCRACY

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:26 pm

Erythrean Thebes wrote:
Great Nortend wrote:Sum qui me opinantur esse, is what I would propose. 'I am what they (others) deem me to be'. You could potentially get rid of the final 'esse'.

Hmm, I would do 'quem' here...

Hmm... upon thought you're right. 'Quem' should agree with 'me', being the complement of 'esse'.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay