NATION

PASSWORD

Latin motto clinic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon May 21, 2018 9:54 am

Danceria wrote:Would this also be a good place for Latin classification of faux species?

Yes, they've already answered a number of my questions about such matters.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Mon May 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Ainin wrote:A perhaps bizarre question with no real answer, but what would be the most legit-sounding Latin version of my country's name? It doesn't need to make much etymological sense, just to be orthographically correct and conceivably be able to evolve into its current form after the end of Latin influence in the 400s.

As ET has said, it depends on how it's pronounced, I suppose. Given the sounds, you might actually be better off with a Greek origin that passes through Latin -- there happens to be a Greek "αἰνήν", the feminine accusative of the word for "horrible" or "dreadful", which happens to be where the Greeks and Romans thought the name "Aeneas" came from. From Greek αἰνήν we might derive a Latin "Aenen", as ET has suggested, though you'd have to explain why the feminine accusative. The city of Istanbul may be instructive here, as its name etymologically descends from "εἰς τὴν Πόλιν", eis ten Polin, pronounced in Medieval Greek as "Is ten bolin", hence "Istanbul". Likewise, "Ainin" might be derived from a phrase such as εἰς τὴν χώρην αἰνήν, eis ten khoren ainen, or "into the horrible/terrible/dread country", from which "Aenen" got separated out linguistically at some point while passing into Latin.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:13 pm

How would these two ideas sound in Latin? Power through balance, balance through power, and Power through dominance, dominance through power ?

Though, if it's easier to translate, Power in balance, balance in power, and Power in dominance, dominance in power would also work!

Thanks in advance!
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:How would these two ideas sound in Latin? Power through balance, balance through power, and Power through dominance, dominance through power ?

Though, if it's easier to translate, Power in balance, balance in power, and Power in dominance, dominance in power would also work!

Thanks in advance!

Potestas per aequilibrium, aequilibrium per potestatem and Potestas per dominatum, dominatus per potestatem, respectively.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Cabo Corelli
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabo Corelli » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi! Could someone translate the motto "Reason, Balance, Unity" for me? Much obliged :)
Factbooks (definitely a work in progress - updated 2020-12-07):
Overview
President Cam Garám
Please ignore NS stats for this nation.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Ratio, Statera, Unitas.
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Nogodia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nogodia » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:30 pm

Can someone translate "To cause death is an honor!"
Does NOT use NS Stats. RP Name 1252-1982: Nogodrick. 0-1252 and 1982-Present: Alsesia
Nation partially represents real views.
Vaukiai wrote:I am sure that if I say everything the opposite, you don't warn me.

This forum is a jewish dictatorship.

BLASNIAENIA wrote:
Inven wrote:A major threat, especially for small islands nation like Tuvalu

Can't they move?

Munkcestrian Republic wrote:
Trixtoria wrote:
BlueSteel does NOT support the institution of slavery. We thank you for you interest.

Why not?

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:48 am

Nogodia wrote:Can someone translate "To cause death is an honor!"

Mortem Efficere Est Honos.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Taxonomical Latin

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:59 am

Various RL species in the genus Equus -- which contains the [living species of] horses & their close relatives -- have been given specific names with the ending "-us" ("caballus","ferus", "asimus", "africanus", "hemionus" ...), so presumably defining a species of rather small horse* that lives in one NS nation as "Equus parvus" would be acceptable?
Would E. minor also be valid Latin, or would the ending of "minor" need to be changed?

(* Yes, they could be described in English as "little ponies": No, they are not sapient or magical or brightly-coloured. They're just an example of the 'island dwarfism' phenomenon...)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:40 am

E. nanus?
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Ironspire
Secretary

Founded: Aug 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ironspire » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:47 am

Could I have 'People of Iron Will' translated please?

Dragonvista
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonvista » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:22 am

Hi,
Could someone translate "Tickle the sleeping dragon at your peril" ? Thanks in advance! :)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:56 am

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:E. nanus?

How much difference is there, if any, in [usual] translated meaning between 'parvus' and 'nanus'?

Conoga
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:12 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Almonaster Nuevo wrote:E. nanus?

How much difference is there, if any, in [usual] translated meaning between 'parvus' and 'nanus'?
Nanus is a dwarf, and is used to refer to small horses specifically, parvus means small.
So nanus is smaller than parvus, I think.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:28 am

Conoga wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:How much difference is there, if any, in [usual] translated meaning between 'parvus' and 'nanus'?
Nanus is a dwarf, and is used to refer to small horses specifically, parvus means small.

H'mm, then I'm going to have to think about this. Despite the wording of the term, though, 'island dwarfism' generally involves just a reduction in overall size rather than also the sort of change in relative proportions of body-parts that's fairly common in [RL] human 'dwarfs'. For a species whose members retain comparable proportions to "full-sized" equids and reach c.2' at the shoulder, I think that 'parvus' might still be the better choice.
Would 'parvulus' also be a valid Latin term for something that's a bit smaller than 'parvus'? If so, then I might use this term for this species and save 'parvus' for one of its [slightly larger] fossil ancestors...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Conoga
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:38 am

Ironspire wrote:Could I have 'People of Iron Will' translated please?
Populus ferreus
Bears Armed wrote:
Conoga wrote:Nanus is a dwarf, and is used to refer to small horses specifically, parvus means small.

H'mm, then I'm going to have to think about this. Despite the wording of the term, though, 'island dwarfism' generally involves just a reduction in overall size rather than also the sort of change in relative proportions of body-parts that's fairly common in [RL] human 'dwarfs'. For a species whose members retain comparable proportions to "full-sized" equids and reach c.2' at the shoulder, I think that 'parvus' might still be the better choice.
Would 'parvulus' also be a valid Latin term for something that's a bit smaller than 'parvus'? If so, then I might use this term for this species and save 'parvus' for one of its [slightly larger] fossil ancestors...
Sure! It's up to you. Parvulus is a perfectly fine word, it's the diminutive. You might consider pusillus, which would be even smaller than that.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:49 am

Conoga wrote:
Ironspire wrote:Could I have 'People of Iron Will' translated please?
Populus ferreus
Bears Armed wrote:
Sure! It's up to you. Parvulus is a perfectly fine word, it's the diminutive. You might consider pusillus, which would be even smaller than that.

Thank you. In that case, I think that parvulus (with an ancestor parvus) will be it
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:04 am

Dragonvista wrote:Hi,
Could someone translate "Tickle the sleeping dragon at your peril" ? Thanks in advance! :)

I would go with something like: Draco Dormiens Periculo Tuo Titillatur, literally "a sleeping dragon is tickled at your peril".
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Dragonvista
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonvista » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Dragonvista wrote:Hi,

I would go with something like: Draco Dormiens Periculo Tuo Titillatur, literally "a sleeping dragon is tickled at your peril".

Ah, I love it, thank you! :)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:11 am

Me again.
Is Equus anciens good enough Latin for a species' name, or would the ending or form of anciens need to be changed?

(Thanks in advance.)
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erythrean Thebes
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Erythrean Thebes » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:55 am

Bears Armed wrote:Me again.
Is Equus anciens good enough Latin for a species' name, or would the ending or form of anciens need to be changed?

(Thanks in advance.)

I think the expertise you need is taxonomic, not linguistic. But it seems to me that the name is correct, but you might want to add another adjective if you want to be more specific about the species' characterstic
Ἐρύθρα᾽Θήβαι
Factbook | Embassy | Religion | Community
Create a Colony in YN!
ATTN DEMOCRACIES - JOIN THE OCEANIC SECURITY COUNCIL - SAVE DEMOCRACY

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 am

Erythrean Thebes wrote:

(Thanks in advance.)

I think the expertise you need is taxonomic, not linguistic. But it seems to me that the name is correct, but you might want to add another adjective if you want to be more specific about the species' characterstic

That's standard taxonomic practice. Species get the genus name (in this case 'Equus') and one other word to denote the species (in this case 'anciens'): Adding a third word -- "another adjective", as you say -- would be done only to indicate organisms' membership in a particular sub-species within that species. Trying to give a species (rather than a sub-species) a three-part name would get that name rejected, as invalid, by the scientific authorities who judge such matters. (Well, okay, in some cases a sub-genus might also be named, but that name takes an upper-case first letter and goes in parentheses between the genus's name and the part that designates this particular species...)
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erythrean Thebes
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Erythrean Thebes » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Erythrean Thebes wrote:I think the expertise you need is taxonomic, not linguistic. But it seems to me that the name is correct, but you might want to add another adjective if you want to be more specific about the species' characterstic

That's standard taxonomic practice. Species get the genus name (in this case 'Equus') and one other word to denote the species (in this case 'anciens'): Adding a third word -- "another adjective", as you say -- would be done only to indicate organisms' membership in a particular sub-species within that species. Trying to give a species (rather than a sub-species) a three-part name would get that name rejected, as invalid, by the scientific authorities who judge such matters. (Well, okay, in some cases a sub-genus might also be named, but that name takes an upper-case first letter and goes in parentheses between the genus's name and the part that designates this particular species...)

Wish I knew, I guess it depends most of all on what the horse is like
Ἐρύθρα᾽Θήβαι
Factbook | Embassy | Religion | Community
Create a Colony in YN!
ATTN DEMOCRACIES - JOIN THE OCEANIC SECURITY COUNCIL - SAVE DEMOCRACY

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:48 pm

(Thanks in advance.)

Having done a quick search through the Library of Latin Texts, the word anciens does not seem to appear in Latin. Now, this isn't necessarily the end of the world for taxonomy, which uses quite a lot of dog Latin from time to time, so you could theoretically get away with it, but if you want the name to genuinely mean "ancient horse", which I'm assuming you do, you'll want something like E. antiquus.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:20 am

Astrolinium wrote:

(Thanks in advance.)

Having done a quick search through the Library of Latin Texts, the word anciens does not seem to appear in Latin. Now, this isn't necessarily the end of the world for taxonomy, which uses quite a lot of dog Latin from time to time, so you could theoretically get away with it, but if you want the name to genuinely mean "ancient horse", which I'm assuming you do, you'll want something like E. antiquus.

Thank you. Unfortunately taxonomy already recognises a species of prehistoric horse from RL as E. antiquus, so I can't use that name here.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay