NATION

PASSWORD

Latin motto clinic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hyggemata
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hyggemata » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:That, I know. But I thought it was "Love for the Federation" and not "Love of the Federation".

/disclaimer: still not an authority on Latin.

The objective genitive often is translated as for. The important thing to remember is that Latin is not even in the same immediate family as English -- it's going to work differently.

OK, so what do you mean by "love for the federation" and "love of the federation"? Are we talking about the federation's love for someone or someone's love for the federation? In either case, the love is an action and isn't actually something owned by the subject, and in either case Latin represents it in the genitive. If we consider the phrase, "care for the sick", the sick doesn't actually own the care, but Latin in this case puts "the sick" in the genitive.
Conservative logic: every slope is a slippery slope.
Liberal logic: climb every mountain; ford every stream.
Washington Resistance Army wrote:Fuck the common good

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:30 am

Hyggemata wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:
The objective genitive often is translated as for. The important thing to remember is that Latin is not even in the same immediate family as English -- it's going to work differently.

OK, so what do you mean by "love for the federation" and "love of the federation"? Are we talking about the federation's love for someone or someone's love for the federation? In either case, the love is an action and isn't actually something owned by the subject, and in either case Latin represents it in the genitive. If we consider the phrase, "care for the sick", the sick doesn't actually own the care, but Latin in this case puts "the sick" in the genitive.

The subjective genitive marks a noun (or participle, or adjective, or whatever) which is the subject of a nouned action. The objective genitive marks one which is the object. So, in either case, the noun in a sense does "own" the action noun -- if you were to write cura aegrorum, then the sick are the ones being cared for, and so, in an abstract sense, they are possessing the care.

The objective genitive, "love for the federation" or "love of the federation", amor foederationis, means that someone is loving the federation. The subjective genitive, "the federation's love", is also translated amor foederationis, because the federation is doing the loving. One must tell the difference from context. This ambiguity actually makes this phrase as a motto for a country very interesting, because one could read it either way.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Hyggemata
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hyggemata » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:39 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Hyggemata wrote:OK, so what do you mean by "love for the federation" and "love of the federation"? Are we talking about the federation's love for someone or someone's love for the federation? In either case, the love is an action and isn't actually something owned by the subject, and in either case Latin represents it in the genitive. If we consider the phrase, "care for the sick", the sick doesn't actually own the care, but Latin in this case puts "the sick" in the genitive.

The subjective genitive marks a noun (or participle, or adjective, or whatever) which is the subject of a nouned action. The objective genitive marks one which is the object. So, in either case, the noun in a sense does "own" the action noun -- if you were to write cura aegrorum, then the sick are the ones being cared for, and so, in an abstract sense, they are possessing the care.

The objective genitive, "love for the federation" or "love of the federation", amor foederationis, means that someone is loving the federation. The subjective genitive, "the federation's love", is also translated amor foederationis, because the federation is doing the loving. One must tell the difference from context. This ambiguity actually makes this phrase as a motto for a country very interesting, because one could read it either way.

I meant to quote Giga :p

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:45 am

Hyggemata wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

I meant to quote Giga :p

Ahhhh. I did think it was a bit surprising that I found myself explaining this to you when I'd initially begun with "what Hygg said".
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:56 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Hyggemata wrote:OK, so what do you mean by "love for the federation" and "love of the federation"? Are we talking about the federation's love for someone or someone's love for the federation? In either case, the love is an action and isn't actually something owned by the subject, and in either case Latin represents it in the genitive. If we consider the phrase, "care for the sick", the sick doesn't actually own the care, but Latin in this case puts "the sick" in the genitive.

Hmm... alright, does this same principle apply to some other things such as "from", "to", etc.?

For example, would "One Throne from/to God" be translated as "Unus Thronus Dei"?
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:00 am

Gigaverse wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Hmm... alright, does this same principle apply to some other things such as "from", "to", etc.?

For example, would "One Throne from/to God" be translated as "Unus Thronus Dei"?

No, because the word thronus does not imply an action, so here you would want ex Deo or a Deo or perhaps even de Deo, depending on the exact nuance and context. You use the subjective and objective genitives with nouns that imply an action -- generally, they'll have a similar, associated verb, such as how amor is in many ways the noun form of amare.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:13 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:Hmm... alright, does this same principle apply to some other things such as "from", "to", etc.?

No, because the word thronus does not imply an action, so here you would want ex Deo or a Deo or perhaps even de Deo, depending on the exact nuance and context. You use the subjective and objective genitives with nouns that imply an action -- generally, they'll have a similar, associated verb, such as how amor is in many ways the noun form of amare.

This knowledge should come to aid me a lot in the future, thanks. :ddd

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:26 am

Gigaverse wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

This knowledge should come to aid me a lot in the future, thanks. :ddd

No problem! It's what we're here for. :D
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Havensky
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:45 am

How would one say "Birth by Discovery?"

The scenario is that a large number of people (and their descendants) were discovered. (They were being held prisoner.) They didn't exist before because nobody knew they existed - now their re-entry into the world is almost like being born into a whole new world.

Thanks!
The Skybound Republic of Havensky
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:20 pm

Havensky wrote:How would one say "Birth by Discovery?"

The scenario is that a large number of people (and their descendants) were discovered. (They were being held prisoner.) They didn't exist before because nobody knew they existed - now their re-entry into the world is almost like being born into a whole new world.

Thanks!

Hmmm... I think I might go with something like "Natus ab Inventu".
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Havensky
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Thanks!
The Skybound Republic of Havensky
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Novorossitov
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Novorossitov » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:14 pm

What is "Onwards and forwards forever" in Latin? I already have a Google Translate translation, (Et antrorsum in aeternum et ultra.) though I'm not sure it is 100% correct.
Relax people, this nation doesn't represent my real political views.

Call me Novo!

We are not Novorossiya, we are not Russia, we are a fictional nation situated in the Americas formerly colonized by the Russian-Swedish Commonwealth. (Also fictional) Novorossitov runs in real-time, and we are currently in the year 2018.

Factbooks: Here

MT Canon: Novorossitov
PMT Canon: Eternis

IATA Member

This nation uses some NS Stats.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Novorossitov wrote:What is "Onwards and forwards forever" in Latin? I already have a Google Translate translation, (Et antrorsum in aeternum et ultra.) though I'm not sure it is 100% correct.

1. Never use Google Translate. It is wrong almost 100% of the time.
2. Ultrorsum et Prorsum Sempiterno is what I'd go with.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Novorossitov
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Novorossitov » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
1. Never use Google Translate. It is wrong almost 100% of the time.
2. Ultrorsum et Prorsum Sempiterno is what I'd go with.

1. Got it.
2. Thank you!
Relax people, this nation doesn't represent my real political views.

Call me Novo!

We are not Novorossiya, we are not Russia, we are a fictional nation situated in the Americas formerly colonized by the Russian-Swedish Commonwealth. (Also fictional) Novorossitov runs in real-time, and we are currently in the year 2018.

Factbooks: Here

MT Canon: Novorossitov
PMT Canon: Eternis

IATA Member

This nation uses some NS Stats.

Hyggemata
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hyggemata » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:08 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Hyggemata wrote:I meant to quote Giga :p

Ahhhh. I did think it was a bit surprising that I found myself explaining this to you when I'd initially begun with "what Hygg said".

Yes, as you can see, the name of this nation contains the "gamma nasal".

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Hyggemata wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:Ahhhh. I did think it was a bit surprising that I found myself explaining this to you when I'd initially begun with "what Hygg said".

Yes, as you can see, the name of this nation contains the "gamma nasal".

It's one of my favorite features of Greek, to be honest. I just think it's neat.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Hyggemata
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hyggemata » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Once more, Third Person Imperative.

Saint Fedski
Attaché

Founded: Oct 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Fedski » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi all, what fascinating thread.

I have two phrases/mottos I'm hoping you can help me with.

1)
"From Unity Comes Strength" - meaning that a nation united is strong. Alternatives could be "Unity is strength" or "Strength stems from unity"

2)
"Change comes from within" - meaning that a community can only be improved if the people want it be.
Still looking for a decent RP region to join? Try Greater Olympus. Decent people. Decent map. Decent RP.
Greater Olympus is looking for more respectable democracies, contemptible tyrannies and glorious failed states of all size to join our group!

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Saint Fedski wrote:Hi all, what fascinating thread.

I have two phrases/mottos I'm hoping you can help me with.

1)
"From Unity Comes Strength" - meaning that a nation united is strong. Alternatives could be "Unity is strength" or "Strength stems from unity"

2)
"Change comes from within" - meaning that a community can only be improved if the people want it be.

1) Ex Unitate Vis
2) Mutatio Deintus
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Exiled Portugal
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Exiled Portugal » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Hey, this is an awesome thread and I was wondering if you could help me with these three mottos, one for each of my Nations.

1)Get them hard, get them good

2) Para Patria, Povo, e Rei (For Fatherland, People, and King)

3) Ave Glória, Ave Império (Can't seem to get the English translation for this one, it's in Portuguese, so it's fine if you can't translate this one)

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Exiled Portugal wrote:Hey, this is an awesome thread and I was wondering if you could help me with these three mottos, one for each of my Nations.

1)Get them hard, get them good

2) Para Patria, Povo, e Rei (For Fatherland, People, and King)

3) Ave Glória, Ave Império (Can't seem to get the English translation for this one, it's in Portuguese, so it's fine if you can't translate this one)

1) Gonna need more context, or I can guarantee you that my translation of "get them hard" is not going to be what you meant.
2)Pro Patria, Populo, et Rege
3)Ave Gloria, Ave Imperium

Translating from Romance languages to Latin is usually super easy because they're so similar.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:17 pm

Me again, I hope that I'm not abusing the thread too much, but how would you say, the Sun is victorious?
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:Me again, I hope that I'm not abusing the thread too much, but how would you say, the Sun is victorious?

Sol Victoriosus est.

Food for thought, but Sol Invictus est is also nice-sounding (though not meaning the same - "invictus" is more "undefeated/invincible" than it is "victorious").

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Gigaverse wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Me again, I hope that I'm not abusing the thread too much, but how would you say, the Sun is victorious?

Sol Victoriosus est.

Food for thought, but Sol Invictus est is also nice-sounding (though not meaning the same - "invictus" is more "undefeated/invincible" than it is "victorious").

Oh, yeah, the second is nice.

Thanks!
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:Sol Victoriosus est.

Oh, yeah, the second is nice.

Thanks!

No probs! :d

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay