NATION

PASSWORD

Latin motto clinic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tirnydd
Secretary

Founded: Oct 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tirnydd » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:31 am

Bedetopia wrote:I currently have "Deus Ex Dominatione", based off the famous "Deus Ex Machina". However what translators give me is "The God of Domination", but I want it to mean "God(hood) from Domination".

I'd say Divinitas ex dominatione should do the trick.

The Western Roman Nations
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Western Roman Nations » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:35 am

"Multa vexilla sub uno vexillo."
"Many Flags under a single banner."

Do these line up?

Yuganesia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yuganesia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:38 am

Anyone translate "The Princess' Vision Is Our Vision"?
Lauryn/18/American/Agnostic/ Socially centrist, and economically smack dead in the middle of the left/ Technically Polysexual/Transgender Woman.

One final response from me, and I speak for the entire community of transgender/transsexual individuals... We are not trying to force anything on you or anyone else. It is people like you who put us in situations like this. We just demand the same respect and same rights regardless of how much it is needed in your eyes. Please, it's all I ask at this point.

We are all humans, can't we just stick with that and unite under that identity?"

Be yourself! No one has any right to interfere with your life and what makes you happy. If it doesn't come at the expense of others, why bother?

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:40 pm

Bedetopia wrote:I currently have "Deus Ex Dominatione", based off the famous "Deus Ex Machina". However what translators give me is "The God of Domination", but I want it to mean "God(hood) from Domination".

I'd go with Numen e Dominatu. Tirnydd's suggestion works, but I like mine better since it's how I would've said it.

The Western Roman Nations wrote:"Multa vexilla sub uno vexillo."

Do these line up?

I think so, though I'd personally shorten in to Vexilla multa sub uno.

Yuganesia wrote:Anyone translate "The Princess' Vision Is Our Vision"?

That depends on what sense of the word "vision" do you mean? A prophecy? A dream for a kingdom? Her literal eyesight?
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Yuganesia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Yuganesia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:41 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

I'd go with Numen e Dominatu. Tirnydd's suggestion works, but I like mine better since it's how I would've said it.

The Western Roman Nations wrote:"Multa vexilla sub uno vexillo."

Do these line up?

Yuganesia wrote:Anyone translate "The Princess' Vision Is Our Vision"?

That depends on what sense of the word "vision" do you mean? A prophecy? A dream for a kingdom? Her literal eyesight?

Her dream for a kingdom
Lauryn/18/American/Agnostic/ Socially centrist, and economically smack dead in the middle of the left/ Technically Polysexual/Transgender Woman.

One final response from me, and I speak for the entire community of transgender/transsexual individuals... We are not trying to force anything on you or anyone else. It is people like you who put us in situations like this. We just demand the same respect and same rights regardless of how much it is needed in your eyes. Please, it's all I ask at this point.

We are all humans, can't we just stick with that and unite under that identity?"

Be yourself! No one has any right to interfere with your life and what makes you happy. If it doesn't come at the expense of others, why bother?

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:45 pm

Yuganesia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Her dream for a kingdom

Principissae somnium est nostrum, I think. I'll do more research later, though, as I'm not 100% sure somnium is the right word.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Yuganesia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Yuganesia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:26 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Yuganesia wrote:Her dream for a kingdom

Principissae somnium est nostrum, I think. I'll do more research later, though, as I'm not 100% sure somnium is the right word.

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:04 pm

Wikipedia provides that the word for "blood" in Latin is aser or assyr, Gen. sanis. Are these forms found in any inscription or surviving literature?
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Gameside factbooks not canon
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
>>>Member of Septentrion, Atlas, Alithea, Tyran<<<
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:01 pm

Themiclesia wrote:Wikipedia provides that the word for "blood" in Latin is aser or assyr, Gen. sanis. Are these forms found in any inscription or surviving literature?

Where does Wikipedia say this? The Latin word for blood is sanguis, genitive sanguinis, accusative occasionally sanguem.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:22 pm

Just for fun, what would "we all live in a yellow submarine" be?
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:33 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:Just for fun, what would "we all live in a yellow submarine" be?

Nos omnes in nave subaquanea flava habitamus. Though, that doesn't quite fit the music.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:49 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:Wikipedia provides that the word for "blood" in Latin is aser or assyr, Gen. sanis. Are these forms found in any inscription or surviving literature?

Where does Wikipedia say this? The Latin word for blood is sanguis, genitive sanguinis, accusative occasionally sanguem.

In the etymology section. Apparently, sanguis is a splice of sanis and unguinis.
Last edited by Themiclesia on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:57 pm

Themiclesia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

In the etymology section. Apparently, sanguis is a splice of sanis and unguinis.

Okay, going by what that says... I dunno. I've never heard of any of that before, but it looks plausible. I'd have to do more research before I could tell you the answer to your initial question.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:56 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Almonaster Nuevo wrote:Just for fun, what would "we all live in a yellow submarine" be?

Nos omnes in nave subaquanea flava habitamus. Though, that doesn't quite fit the music.

Thank you.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:01 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:In the etymology section. Apparently, sanguis is a splice of sanis and unguinis.

Okay, going by what that says... I dunno. I've never heard of any of that before, but it looks plausible. I'd have to do more research before I could tell you the answer to your initial question.

Go ahead then, do more research :p
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Actaartemregulus
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Actaartemregulus » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:29 am

"Si vis pacem, para bellum."

If you can guess who I found it from I d be impressed. Just to note I don t know and haven t studied the Latin language. Interesting topic tho.
Last edited by Actaartemregulus on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Actaartemregulus
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Actaartemregulus » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:36 am

Yuganesia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Nostre Dame?

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Actaartemregulus wrote:"Si vis pacem, para bellum."

If you can guess who I found it from I d be impressed. Just to note I don t know and haven t studied the Latin language. Interesting topic tho.

I know it as the Royal Navy motto. Unsurprisingly it has been used by a fair few military outfits.

Darvale
Envoy

Founded: Feb 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Darvale » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:41 am

Could anyone translate: "Ready for all, yielding to none!" please?
█████████
█████████
█████████
█████████
____T H E____T H I R D____R E P U B L I C____O F____D A R V A L E____
FORWARD • UPWARD • AND • ONWARDS • TOGETHER

Talidania wrote:You have sexy feet!

Dyakovo wrote:
Val Halla wrote:Life's a bitch. Eat cookies.

Life's a cookie, eat bitches.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:41 pm

I'm not expert, but perhaps "Pro omnia parata, ut nemo cedere"?

Edit: pithier and possibly more accurate "cuivis parata, nullis cedere".
Last edited by Almonaster Nuevo on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:45 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:I'm not expert, but perhaps "Pro omnia parata, ut nemo cedere"?

Edit: pithier and possibly more accurate "cuivis parata, nullis cedere".

Actually, that's all basically wrong.

I'd go with:

Contra omnia parata*, nemini cedens.

*Note that I'm going with parata based around the idea that the motto refers to the Third Republic of Darvale, which would be a feminine noun, res publica tertia Darvale. If the motto is meant to be the people, populus rei publicae tertiae Darvalis, then it should read contra omnia paratus, nemini cedens.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:38 pm

I blush. Thanks for the correction.

Al-Portug
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Portug » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:59 pm

Is the Latin part of my motto an accurate translation of "We were kings"?
Puppet of New Confederate Ramenia
t. Alberto Barbosa

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:58 am

Al-Portug wrote:Is the Latin part of my motto an accurate translation of "We were kings"?

Yep!
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Not a Bang but a Whimper
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Not a Bang but a Whimper » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:00 pm

"Where dialectic and philanthropy meet in excellence."

(asking for a friend >.>)
The POTUS of the United States, Dick G. Fischer.
Meroivinge wrote:
The very fact that you would have doubts about whether to join a forum full of goddless commie islamofascist homosexual welfare-recipients instead of a forum built to celebrate the Greatest Christian country in all of history deeply concerns me.
Kautharr wrote:
Back when that was how the world was, there was no gay or transgender people.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay