NATION

PASSWORD

Latin motto clinic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:54 am

Naivetry wrote:
New Vudnia wrote:scientia vincere tenebras
Themiclesia wrote:Couldn't this be alternatively construed as "it is science to conquer shadows"?

Not in the modern sense of "science" as a discipline distinct from the humanities or the arts. Scientia in classical Latin is more like... 'know-how'. Also, despite how often forms of sum are omitted, I think Latin would want an est thrown in there if it were trying to define scientia. Latin doesn't normally use the infinitive to express purpose unless it's imitating Greek, but that might still be cause for some ambiguity without an est.

I was referring to the articular infinitive.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Gameside factbooks not canon
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
>>>Member of Septentrion, Atlas, Alithea, Tyran<<<
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:34 am

Themiclesia wrote:I was referring to the articular infinitive.

*nods* That's what I think would require a form of sum for clarity.

Cora II
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cora II » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:47 am

How would go: "If I have to ride alone, then I ride alone"?
• The Black Riders Witch-Z-Queen of Cimmeria 'Cora' • Raider Extremist • War Diary
• 618+ active updates, 11195+ raided regions, 3567+ times raider delegate, 158+ updates in command, 2870+ triggered raids, 35+ occupations, 307+ banjected WA-nations •

"Cut them down!"

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:51 am

I'm looking for an efficient way to say "From the Stars, Freedom". I chose Ex stēllīs lībertās, and I'm not sure how well this is.
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:53 am

Cora II wrote:How would go: "If I have to ride alone, then I ride alone"?

Si vehi solus debeo, deinde solus vehar.

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:I'm looking for an efficient way to say "From the Stars, Freedom". I chose Ex stēllīs lībertās, and I'm not sure how well this is.

I'd do E stellis instead of Ex stellis, but otherwise it looks good.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:56 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Cora II wrote:How would go: "If I have to ride alone, then I ride alone"?

Si vehi solus debeo, deinde solus vehar.

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:I'm looking for an efficient way to say "From the Stars, Freedom". I chose Ex stēllīs lībertās, and I'm not sure how well this is.

I'd do E stellis instead of Ex stellis, but otherwise it looks good.

Thanks! I'll edit my motto straightaway.
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:28 am

Naivetry wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:I was referring to the articular infinitive.

*nods* That's what I think would require a form of sum for clarity.

Well, of course. By the way, does the articular infinitive take a subject accusative in Latin too?
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:01 am

I know this is a LATIN motto clinic, but I am wondering if anyone knows any Greek?
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:18 am

The Liberated Territories wrote:I know this is a LATIN motto clinic, but I am wondering if anyone knows any Greek?

Yes.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:18 am

The Liberated Territories wrote:I know this is a LATIN motto clinic, but I am wondering if anyone knows any Greek?

Yes.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=165215
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:31 pm

Themiclesia wrote:
Naivetry wrote:*nods* That's what I think would require a form of sum for clarity.

Well, of course. By the way, does the articular infinitive take a subject accusative in Latin too?

The articular infinitive isn't really a very "Latin" concept (particularly as Latin has no articles and so the use of such a thing is far more limited than in Ancient Greek) to the point that I would say the overwelming majority of Latin students would only even be aware of such a thing if they have also learned Ancient Greek (with the exception of its nominative usage, in fact, I would go as far as to say that Latin pretty much exclusively uses the gerund for the purposes for which Greek uses the articular infinitive) — though, obviously, I'm no expert —, but the infinitive does take an accusative subject in indirect speech (e.g. "Illum dixi uxorem amare sicut Caesar Romam amat").
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:13 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:Well, of course. By the way, does the articular infinitive take a subject accusative in Latin too?

The articular infinitive isn't really a very "Latin" concept (particularly as Latin has no articles and so the use of such a thing is far more limited than in Ancient Greek) to the point that I would say the overwelming majority of Latin students would only even be aware of such a thing if they have also learned Ancient Greek (with the exception of its nominative usage, in fact, I would go as far as to say that Latin pretty much exclusively uses the gerund for the purposes for which Greek uses the articular infinitive) — though, obviously, I'm no expert —, but the infinitive does take an accusative subject in indirect speech (e.g. "Illum dixi uxorem amare sicut Caesar Romam amat").

Well, while not criticizing or judging languages, how would one supply a subject to a gerund in Latin as a subject accusative in Greek?
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:00 pm

Themiclesia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Well, while not criticizing or judging languages, how would one supply a subject to a gerund in Latin as a subject accusative in Greek?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

We're talking about how in Greek you can say, for example, "he persuaded the youth by speaking" using the infinitive of "to speak" and the dative of the article, signifying means, yes? Something like "τὸν νεανίαν ἔπεισε τῷ λέγειν"? In Latin that would be, "iuvenem suasit dicendo", with the gerund of "dicere" in the ablative, signifying means.
Last edited by Astrolinium on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:27 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:Well, while not criticizing or judging languages, how would one supply a subject to a gerund in Latin as a subject accusative in Greek?

We're talking about how in Greek you can say, for example, "he persuaded the youth by speaking" using the infinitive of "to speak" and the dative of the article, signifying means, yes? Something like "τὸν νεανίαν ἔπεισε τῷ λέγειν"? In Latin that would be, "iuvenem suasit dicendo", with the gerund of "dicere" in the ablative, signifying means.

No that's not quite what I mean. In Greek, it is possible to specify an accusative subject even if is articular, cf. τῷ πολεμίους εἰς τὴν πόλιν ἰέναι Σωκράτης φεύγει. "Because of the enemies' entering into the city, Socrates escapes."
Last edited by Themiclesia on Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Themiclesia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

No that's not quite what I mean. In Greek, it is possible to specify an accusative subject even if is articular, cf. τῷ πολεμίους εἰς τὴν πόλιν ἰέναι Σωκράτης φεύγει. "Because of the enemies' entering into the city, Socrates escapes."

I'm not aware of Latin having any sort of parallel construction to that. Latin would just say something like propter hostes in urbem intrantes, Socrates fugit (because of the enemies entering into the city, Socrates flees) or hostibus in urbem ingressis, Socrates fugit (with the enemies having entered into the city, Socrates flees).
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:00 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:

I'm not aware of Latin having any sort of parallel construction to that. Latin would just say something like propter hostes in urbem intrantes, Socrates fugit (because of the enemies entering into the city, Socrates flees) or hostibus in urbem ingressis, Socrates fugit (with the enemies having entered into the city, Socrates flees).

hm. Thanks for that; it was very informative.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:48 pm

Astrolinium wrote:I'm not aware of Latin having any sort of parallel construction to that. Latin would just say something like propter hostes in urbem intrantes, Socrates fugit (because of the enemies entering into the city, Socrates flees) or hostibus in urbem ingressis, Socrates fugit (with the enemies having entered into the city, Socrates flees).

Yep. Or possibly, Cum hostes in urbem intrent... Latin has fewer options for how to express these things than Greek - a fact which annoyed Roman writers to no end. :)

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:47 pm

Naivetry wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:I'm not aware of Latin having any sort of parallel construction to that. Latin would just say something like propter hostes in urbem intrantes, Socrates fugit (because of the enemies entering into the city, Socrates flees) or hostibus in urbem ingressis, Socrates fugit (with the enemies having entered into the city, Socrates flees).

Yep. Or possibly, Cum hostes in urbem intrent... Latin has fewer options for how to express these things than Greek - a fact which annoyed Roman writers to no end. :)

So that type of subordinate clause takes Cum + subjunctive, right? Adverbial Cum.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:27 am

Naivetry wrote:

I know the lack of a perfect active participle in non-deponent verbs really boils my chicken.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:42 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Naivetry wrote:Yep. Or possibly, Cum hostes in urbem intrent... Latin has fewer options for how to express these things than Greek - a fact which annoyed Roman writers to no end. :)

I know the lack of a perfect active participle in non-deponent verbs really boils my chicken.

Is there really just isn't one, or did the authors prefer not to use it? I know that cognates exist in several other IE languages, e.g. Sanskrit, Greek, etc., though the Sanskrit reflexion is supposedly closer to the original, with stem-apophony in -vams, -us, and -vat.
Last edited by Themiclesia on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:49 am

Themiclesia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Is there really just isn't one, or did the authors prefer not to use it? I know that cognates exist in several other IE languages, e.g. Sanskrit, Greek, etc., though the Sanskrit reflexion is supposedly closer to the original, with stem-apophony in -vams, -us, and -van.

There really isn't one. Latin has no forms that make a perfect active participle, and the only places it exists are with deponent verbs, which have active meaning in normally passive forms.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:05 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:Is there really just isn't one, or did the authors prefer not to use it? I know that cognates exist in several other IE languages, e.g. Sanskrit, Greek, etc., though the Sanskrit reflexion is supposedly closer to the original, with stem-apophony in -vams, -us, and -van.

There really isn't one. Latin has no forms that make a perfect active participle, and the only places it exists are with deponent verbs, which have active meaning in normally passive forms.

Not even in an archaic state of the language?
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:15 am

Themiclesia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Not even in an archaic state of the language?

Not that we know of. It's certainly possible, given how little we have of the truly archaic forms of the language, but it seems unlikely.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:26 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:Not even in an archaic state of the language?

Not that we know of. It's certainly possible, given how little we have of the truly archaic forms of the language, but it seems unlikely.

Well, the Latin participle system is definitely a far cry from what is postulated to have existed in the past, as I now realized after some preliminary reading. It does not have the middle participles characteristic of IE languages, as Grk. -men- and Sanskr. -mana-, or the perfect active participles reconstructed in -wo- and -us-, but it does have the -t- participle, which originally may have been a verbal adjective... as it is in Greek in -te- + second declension endings.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Estenia
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estenia » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:27 am

Themiclesia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:
The incident?

The great noodle incident of 2767 auc?

Doesn't ring any bells?

Oh, you sweet summer child.

No, I'm kidding, but seriously, I've never even seen a third person imperative in the wild.

You know, because the phrase that Giga wanted translated is from a motto of the Adeptus Astartes from WH40K, and it resembles what I'd call a "general maxim". Besides, the English construction "let X something" translates the Greek third person imperative.

Something like μηδεῖς ζήτω

It's ancient Greek, my canadian friend.
Runner-up at the 1st OMAHAN FUTSAL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, 4th at Maple Leaf Bowl III, 4th on Baptism of Fire 57, 2nd at Runner Cup 4, 3rd at 21st World Lacrosse Championships.

88% Libertatrian
72% Conservative
63% Liberal

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay