NATION

PASSWORD

Latin motto clinic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kanglia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanglia » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:31 pm

Demetland wrote:
Kanglia wrote:"For justice and peace"
I didn't trawl this thread, so sue me if someone has already said this :p

Pro pace et iustitia.

Thanks!
Senior Warden in TGW. Usual commander of the UDSAF. Constantly snarky.
Views here are my own and not representative of any affiliation unless otherwise stated.
Always watching

West Esung
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby West Esung » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:36 pm

English: Peace by action, unity through government

Latin: In pace agendi, unitatis per regimen
– Signed,
President Fitz Daly of the Federal Republic of West Esung

Proud Owner of the AtomOS Storefront

Hipsters with Nuclear Missiles
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hipsters with Nuclear Missiles » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Demetland wrote:
Hipsters with Nuclear Missiles wrote:How about "Doing good, as good as we can?" As a nice morally ambiguous motto for my state police. Thank you!

Benefaciens, quam optime. Sadly the repetition of 'good' isn't preserved because of the idiomatic rendering of 'as good as we can.'

Thanks so much, Demetland!
And one more question, I've also been offered this alternate translation: Bonum facimus, quam optime. Would you be able to explain the difference between Benefaciens and Bonum facimus? Sorry again for the trouble, but much appreciated.
Last edited by Hipsters with Nuclear Missiles on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Demetland
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Demetland » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:47 pm

Hipsters with Nuclear Missiles wrote:
Demetland wrote:
Benefaciens, quam optime. Sadly the repetition of 'good' isn't preserved because of the idiomatic rendering of 'as good as we can.'

And one more question, I've also been offered this alternate translation: Bonum facimus, quam optime. Would you be able to explain the difference between Benefaciens and Bonum facimus? Sorry again for the trouble, but much appreciated.

Well, benefaciens is a present participle (i.e. meaning 'doing good'), whereas the facimus in bonum facimus is just the form of the verb that means 'we do/are doing.'

To be honest, you could say benefaciens, or bonum faciens. Or benefacimus or bonum facimus. They both work for what you want so which one you choose depends on your preference. But I prefer benefaciens (or benefacimus because bene is the more obvious adverbial form of 'good.'

In the bonum facimus version, bonum is the neuter of bonus (adjective, = good). Neuter adjectives are frequently used as adverbs in Latin so it works just as well. Alternatively it could be interpreted as standing in for a noun (i.e. meaning 'a good thing').
Eurem yn er·wyll, a·m hudwy i berthyll;
a byδiv drythyll, o armes Fferyll.

Lætabundus
exsultet fidelis chorus:
Alleluya.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:29 am

A further request for help with taxonomic Latin:
I know that 'Hippopotamus' (with both roots actually from Greek originally, rather than from Latin?) can be translated into English as 'River Horse'. My region has another family of aquatic herbivorous mammals, whose currently-extant genus I would like to give a name translating as something along the lines of 'Water Horse'. Any suggestions for the taxonomic Latin form? And what would the genitive version of this, which is needed for forming the 'family' name, be?

(My first thought was 'Hippocampus', because that name was used in Medieval folklore -- or, at least, in Heraldry -- to denote a being that's horse in front & fish behind, but that name turns out to be in use already for a RL genus of [fish] 'Seahorse'...)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:29 am

Bears Armed wrote:A further request for help with taxonomic Latin:
I know that 'Hippopotamus' (with both roots actually from Greek originally, rather than from Latin?) can be translated into English as 'River Horse'. My region has another family of aquatic herbivorous mammals, whose currently-extant genus I would like to give a name translating as something along the lines of 'Water Horse'. Any suggestions for the taxonomic Latin form? And what would the genitive version of this, which is needed for forming the 'family' name, be?

(My first thought was 'Hippocampus', because that name was used in Medieval folklore -- or, at least, in Heraldry -- to denote a being that's horse in front & fish behind, but that name turns out to be in use already for a RL genus of [fish] 'Seahorse'...)

If you want a name that particularly parallels Hippopotamus' "river horse", then I suggest Hippydor for "water horse".
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:31 am

Gigaverse wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:A further request for help with taxonomic Latin:

If you want a name that particularly parallels Hippopotamus' "river horse", then I suggest Hippydor for "water horse".

That sounds lovely: Thank you!
:)
Presumably the derived Family name (Genus name, genitive case, with the '-idae' suffix) would simply be Hippydoridae?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:01 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:If you want a name that particularly parallels Hippopotamus' "river horse", then I suggest Hippydor for "water horse".

That sounds lovely: Thank you!
Presumably the derived Family name (Genus name, genitive case, with the '-idae' suffix) would simply be Hippydoridae?

Do it without the o. Hippydridae.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:17 am

Gigaverse wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:That sounds lovely: Thank you!

Do it without the o. Hippydridae.

Thank you, again.

(Incidentally, in case anybody here is interested enough to wonder about the matter, the animals in question here are descendants of an extinct stock [that existed in RL too] called the Anthracobunidae, in a side-branch of the Order Perissodactyla or 'Odd-toed Ungulates' [the main branch of which includes such groups as the Horses, Tapirs, & Rhinoceroses], that have evolved to fill similar roles to RL's Manatee & Dugong...)

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:26 am

What would be ‘the United Blood Courts Of Versilia’ in Latin?
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.
Rate me as Prime Minister

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:00 pm

The Islands of Versilia wrote:What would be ‘the United Blood Courts Of Versilia’ in Latin?

which is united, the blood or the courts

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:07 pm

Gigaverse wrote:
The Islands of Versilia wrote:What would be ‘the United Blood Courts Of Versilia’ in Latin?

which is united, the blood or the courts

Bloods courts are aristocratic councils of vampires. The United part is that they were all brought under one banner.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:14 pm

The Islands of Versilia wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:which is united, the blood or the courts

Bloods courts are aristocratic councils of vampires. The United part is that they were all brought under one banner.

then Curiae Sanguinis Unitae Versiliae.

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:24 pm

Gigaverse wrote:
The Islands of Versilia wrote:Bloods courts are aristocratic councils of vampires. The United part is that they were all brought under one banner.

then Curiae Sanguinis Unitae Versiliae.

Thanks!
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:32 am

Does anybody here feel like helping me out with taxonomic Latin again?

This nation & some other parts of its home region have an endemic species of 'Marsh Deer'.
The genus name is Elaphurus, as for the RL Père David's Deer (= Elaphurus davidianus), which I think counts as masculine.
So, for the full Latin binomial for our resident species, should I use Elaphurus palustrianus? Elaphurus palustris? Elaphurus (something else)?

Mount Seymour
Envoy

Founded: Mar 25, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Mount Seymour » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:15 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Does anybody here feel like helping me out with taxonomic Latin again?

This nation & some other parts of its home region have an endemic species of 'Marsh Deer'.
The genus name is Elaphurus, as for the RL Père David's Deer (= Elaphurus davidianus), which I think counts as masculine.
So, for the full Latin binomial for our resident species, should I use Elaphurus palustrianus? Elaphurus palustris? Elaphurus (something else)?

Not an expert in Latin, but palustris certainly seems to be the accepted term (regardless of its Latin accuracy):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palustris
The Pacific Alpine Commonwealth of Mount Seymour
a.k.a. Somyrion, Aumeltopia
Security Council #212
Issue #640

Erythrean Thebes
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Erythrean Thebes » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:15 pm

Hipsters with Nuclear Missiles wrote:
Demetland wrote:

Another good Latin rendering of this is "Valemus, Optissime" (means basically "we are well, in fact as well as can be") which avoids some of the clunky verb arrangements that come out of trying to follow the English syntax identically
Ἐρύθρα᾽Θήβαι
Factbook | Embassy | Religion | Community
Create a Colony in YN!
ATTN DEMOCRACIES - JOIN THE OCEANIC SECURITY COUNCIL - SAVE DEMOCRACY

Roland Prime
Secretary

Founded: Oct 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Roland Prime » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:26 pm

Erythrean Thebes wrote:
Hipsters with Nuclear Missiles wrote:Thanks so much, Demetland!

Another good Latin rendering of this is "Valemus, Optissime" (means basically "we are well, in fact as well as can be") which avoids some of the clunky verb arrangements that come out of trying to follow the English syntax identically

Yeah, I've always been a big fan of this one.
Signed,
Roland Prime

King of Machina | Legislator and FA Ambassador of The South Pacific
To whom it may concern: This is the same person that formerly played as rolandarmstrong.

Finswedeway
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Finswedeway » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:00 pm

A motto I've always played around with is "IN VINO VERITAS"

in wine, there is truth.
To survive the coming age, we must adapt, resist populist influences, and root out greedy tyranny from the hallowed halls of government, and as God is my witness, we will survive.
-Audo av Sangua

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 am

Mount Seymour wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Does anybody here feel like helping me out with taxonomic Latin again?

Not an expert in Latin, but palustris certainly seems to be the accepted term (regardless of its Latin accuracy):

Thank you. I wondered whether it should be palustrianus instead because of Pere David's Deer being davidianus...
Anybody else wish to comment?

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:58 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Mount Seymour wrote:Not an expert in Latin, but palustris certainly seems to be the accepted term (regardless of its Latin accuracy):

Thank you. I wondered whether it should be palustrianus instead because of Pere David's Deer being davidianus...

paluster and paludester, technically; declined according to noun gender.

In fact, to make it more direct, you should see this for yourself and determine which of the terms derived from it is the best for what you want to express by "marsh".

In case you're not sure, come back to us again.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 am

Gigaverse wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Thank you. I wondered whether it should be palustrianus instead because of Pere David's Deer being davidianus...

paluster and paludester, technically; declined according to noun gender.

In fact, to make it more direct, you should see this for yourself and determine which of the terms derived from it is the best for what you want to express by "marsh".

:blink:
So all of the RL species that are designated palustris are labelled incorrectly?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:40 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:paluster and paludester, technically; declined according to noun gender.

:blink:
So all of the RL species that are designated palustris are labelled incorrectly?

Several days late for this, but...

Funny you should say.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:46 am

More taxonomic help requested, please:

‘Loyal Swan’, or ‘Fidelity Swan’ = Cygnus fidelis ?
‘Bugler Swan’ = Cygnus aeneator ? ... This can’t be C. buccinator, which might seem a more obvious answer, because that name’s already in use for the [RL] ‘Trumpeter Swan’.
‘Snowfall Swan’ = Cygnus [what?] ?

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Bears Armed wrote:More taxonomic help requested, please:

‘Loyal Swan’, or ‘Fidelity Swan’ = Cygnus fidelis ?
‘Bugler Swan’ = Cygnus aeneator ? ... This can’t be C. buccinator, which might seem a more obvious answer, because that name’s already in use for the [RL] ‘Trumpeter Swan’.
‘Snowfall Swan’ = Cygnus [what?] ?

Your inputs for the first two are both OK. For the third, I'm not quite sure, since to translate something as precise in English as "snowfall" you might need a Contemporary Latin-styled compound - nivicasus may be rather forced, so I don't know if you want to take that. Alternatively, you can always choose from these.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay