NATION

PASSWORD

Latin motto clinic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Demetland wrote:
Danceria wrote:I would like to know the phrase "Rising above the rising tides" in Latin, if you please.

Perhaps Oriēns super orientēs aestūs.

Thanks. I never knew Latin had any...unique letters/vowels like France or Spain (Ironic, considering they're latin based languages). Did the old Romans write with lines over their vowels to discern pronunciation, or is that a more recent development?
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Demetland
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Demetland » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:10 pm

Danceria wrote:
Demetland wrote:
Perhaps Oriēns super orientēs aestūs.

Thanks. I never knew Latin had any...unique letters/vowels like France or Spain (Ironic, considering they're latin based languages). Did the old Romans write with lines over their vowels to discern pronunciation, or is that a more recent development?

They aren't really unique letters; the macron just indicates a long vowel. The Romans didn't indicate vowel quantity, but many modern grammars or textbooks do because it helps the student to distinguish between certain words, or certain forms of words.
Eurem yn er·wyll, a·m hudwy i berthyll;
a byδiv drythyll, o armes Fferyll.

Lætabundus
exsultet fidelis chorus:
Alleluya.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Demetland wrote:
Danceria wrote:Thanks. I never knew Latin had any...unique letters/vowels like France or Spain (Ironic, considering they're latin based languages). Did the old Romans write with lines over their vowels to discern pronunciation, or is that a more recent development?

They aren't really unique letters; the macron just indicates a long vowel. The Romans didn't indicate vowel quantity, but many modern grammars or textbooks do because it helps the student to distinguish between certain words, or certain forms of words.

I always thought it was sort of " "u" was pronounced like such unless paired with "consonant"."
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Waldriech
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Waldriech » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Got a D in Latin last year. But I still think, I hope my motto is fine.
"Lux Dei Praecedit"
Last edited by Waldriech on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a, Catholic, Anarcho-Capitalist from Arkansas.

Pro: Free-Market, Property Rights, Gun Rights, Weed Legalization, Public Service Privatization, Trump, Rand and Ron Paul, GOP, Free Speech, Religious Freedom, Catholic Teachings, Non-Aggression Principle, Natural Law, General Pinochet.

Anti: Communism, Democrats, ISIS, Terrorism, SJWs, Gay Pride.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:59 am

Is 'The light of God precedes' what you want?
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Tyskylvania
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Tyskylvania » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:09 am

How could I explain the existence of Latin in this world? It's a typical High Fantasy type world.
The Queendom of Tyskylvania

A semi-feudal, absolute monarchy of Vikings and northmen. Led by Empress Sahk’ni Dovákīn, it is a major power in its world and regularly finds ways to improve the nation.

"For Crown and Realm."

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:14 am

Ah, great, my latin is very poor unfortunatly.

My motto is "Confidete in cervisia et grypes"
Robert Schreiner, Ambassador of the City and Republic of Greifenburg to the World Assembly

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 am

I'd appreciate some more help with Latin for taxonomical purposes, if anybody here is willing to assist me:

1. I know that the term 'Rodent' comes from the Latin verb 'Rodere', meaning 'To Gnaw'. What would the Latin for 'Gnawing', for use as the first part of the name for a group of animals (e.g. an Order [Gnawing]marsupialia ) be?

2. I know that the 'Bronto-' in names such as Brontosaurus and Brontotherium means 'Thunder'. Can you give me any synonyms to use in name for a different (but also LARGE) type of '-therium'?
(If I recall correctly then both 'Bronto' and 'therium' are actually based on words taken originally from Greek, so synonyms that also share this origin might be most appropriate, but there's precedent for taxonomy mixing Latin-derived elements with Greek-derived elements within single names so I'm not too fussed about that point...)

3. I have started to describe an animal (a local descendant of a group that died out long ago in RL) that gains much of its food by scavenging from carcasses. I want its genus name to mean 'Hunter of bones'. Would that be 'Ossivenator', or something similar? If not, then what would you suggest?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Greifenburg wrote:Ah, great, my latin is very poor unfortunatly.

Well, first, do you mean it to mean "Trust in beer and into griffins"?

Bears Armed wrote:I'd appreciate some more help with Latin for taxonomical purposes, if anybody here is willing to assist me:

1. I know that the term 'Rodent' comes from the Latin verb 'Rodere', meaning 'To Gnaw'. What would the Latin for 'Gnawing', for use as the first part of the name for a group of animals (e.g. an Order [Gnawing]marsupialia ) be?

2. I know that the 'Bronto-' in names such as Brontosaurus and Brontotherium means 'Thunder'. Can you give me any synonyms to use in name for a different (but also LARGE) type of '-therium'?
(If I recall correctly then both 'Bronto' and 'therium' are actually based on words taken originally from Greek, so synonyms that also share this origin might be most appropriate, but there's precedent for taxonomy mixing Latin-derived elements with Greek-derived elements within single names so I'm not too fussed about that point...)

3. I have started to describe an animal (a local descendant of a group that died out long ago in RL) that gains much of its food by scavenging from carcasses. I want its genus name to mean 'Hunter of bones'. Would that be 'Ossivenator', or something similar? If not, then what would you suggest?

1. Rodenti- is the prefix you want (e.g. rodentimarsupialia).
2. Tonitru- is a good Latin equivalent -- you're right that both of those are from Greek. Hyggemata is more of the resident Greek scholar, he may be able to help here more than I can.
3. I think that would probably suffice, yes.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:34 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Greifenburg wrote:Ah, great, my latin is very poor unfortunatly.

Yes, "Trust in beer and griffins!", that's what I wanted it to mean. But I don't know if the imperative form and the grammar are used correctly.
Robert Schreiner, Ambassador of the City and Republic of Greifenburg to the World Assembly

Haumland
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Haumland » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Could someone help me on what "peace through blood" is in Latin?

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:42 pm

Greifenburg wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Yes, "Trust in beer and griffins!", that's what I wanted it to mean. But I don't know if the imperative form and the grammar are used correctly.

I'd go with In cervisia et grypibus fide. "In" takes the ablative, it's normal practice in mottos for the imperative to be plural, and fido, I think, more closely aligns with the religious connotation I assume you want (I assume this because fido only really takes an object with "in" in religious usage).

Haumland wrote:Could someone help me on what "peace through blood" is in Latin?

Per sanguinem pax.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Greifenburg wrote:

I'd go with In cervisia et grypibus fide. "In" takes the ablative, it's normal practice in mottos for the imperative to be plural, and fido, I think, more closely aligns with the religious connotation I assume you want (I assume this because fido only really takes an object with "in" in religious usage).

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:25 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:I'd appreciate some more help with Latin for taxonomical purposes, if anybody here is willing to assist me:

2. Tonitru- is a good Latin equivalent -- you're right that both of those are from Greek. Hyggemata is more of the resident Greek scholar, he may be able to help here more than I can.

Thank you.
If you ever want help with drafting a GA proposal, get in touch.

p.s. How about Myrmecofossor for a genus of 'ant-eaters' that digs its food out of ants' nests & termites' nests? Okay, as far as the Latin is concerned?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:44 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Thank you.

p.s. How about Myrmecofossor for a genus of 'ant-eaters' that digs its food out of ants' nests & termites' nests? Okay, as far as the Latin is concerned?

I think that'd work, yeah. Myrmex is from Greek, though, so I'm not 100% sure on whether or not "o" is the correct stem vowel.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:02 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Thank you.

I'd personally recommend Myrmecoscapta, derived from the appropriate Hellenic sources. Less surefire answers would be Formicifossor or Formicofossor. All are supposed to mean "ant-digger".
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:42 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:p.s. How about Myrmecofossor for a genus of 'ant-eaters' that digs its food out of ants' nests & termites' nests? Okay, as far as the Latin is concerned?

I think that'd work, yeah. Myrmex is from Greek, though, so I'm not 100% sure on whether or not "o" is the correct stem vowel.

Thank you. I was going by the fact that in RL the 'Latin' name for the Giant Anteater is Myrmecophaga tridactyla.

Gigaverse wrote:I'd personally recommend Myrmecoscapta, derived from the appropriate Hellenic sources. Less surefire answers would be Formicifossor or Formicofossor. All are supposed to mean "ant-digger".

Thank you.

SHutton
Civilian

Founded: Jul 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby SHutton » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:30 am

Utilitas, Honor et Gloria seems nice to me. I'd stop there.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:17 am

What's standard procedure when faced with an indeclinable noun in Latin that can't easily be pinned to any of the orthodox Latin ways of declining nouns (e.g. cherub): treat the nominative case form as that of all others and use accordingly (Liber Cherub), use some kind of preposition such as "de" (Liber de Cherub), or force it into the third declension and proceed from there (Liber Cherubis)?

Wiktionary seems to suggest to me that the first scenario would be the case - if its declension board for cherub in Latin is any indication; but I need further input than my own initial conclusion.
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:23 am

How would you add "Emperor" to the traditional SPQR phrase? To make it look like the Emperor, the Senate, and the People of Rome? Imperator et Senatus Populusque Romanus?
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:37 am

Depending on what you want, as the original means the Roman Senate and People. For the Roman Emperor, Senate and People you could try Imperator et Senatus Populusque Romanus or even perhaps remove the et and if you want add a -que if you want to maintain the appearance of the phrase.
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:17 am

Gigaverse wrote:What's standard procedure when faced with an indeclinable noun in Latin that can't easily be pinned to any of the orthodox Latin ways of declining nouns (e.g. cherub): treat the nominative case form as that of all others and use accordingly (Liber Cherub), use some kind of preposition such as "de" (Liber de Cherub), or force it into the third declension and proceed from there (Liber Cherubis)?

Wiktionary seems to suggest to me that the first scenario would be the case - if its declension board for cherub in Latin is any indication; but I need further input than my own initial conclusion.

Yeah, first is the case.

Tracian Empire wrote:How would you add "Emperor" to the traditional SPQR phrase? To make it look like the Emperor, the Senate, and the People of Rome? Imperator et Senatus Populusque Romanus?

It depends. Imperator is indeed a word for Emperor, but it's also specifically a military title, and depending on context and historical period you may well want to use Dominus, Caesar, Augustus, or Princeps instead. You have the basic structure correct, though.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Dravkian
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Dravkian » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:01 pm

Can someone translate this to latin?

Out of darkness, we bring justice.
The Dravkian Celestial Directorate
Flags

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:05 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:What's standard procedure when faced with an indeclinable noun in Latin that can't easily be pinned to any of the orthodox Latin ways of declining nouns (e.g. cherub): treat the nominative case form as that of all others and use accordingly (Liber Cherub), use some kind of preposition such as "de" (Liber de Cherub), or force it into the third declension and proceed from there (Liber Cherubis)?

Yeah, first is the case.

Tracian Empire wrote:How would you add "Emperor" to the traditional SPQR phrase? To make it look like the Emperor, the Senate, and the People of Rome? Imperator et Senatus Populusque Romanus?

It depends. Imperator is indeed a word for Emperor, but it's also specifically a military title, and depending on context and historical period you may well want to use Dominus, Caesar, Augustus, or Princeps instead. You have the basic structure correct, though.

Yeah, I am specifically trying to use Imperator, to put some emphasis on the power of imperium.

I'll probably go with Imperator et Senatus Populusque Romanus, since I'm not sure how to use the que particle.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:12 pm

Dravkian wrote:Can someone translate this to latin?

Out of darkness, we bring justice.

Ex umbris iustitiam ferimus.

Tracian Empire wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:
Yeah, first is the case.

Yeah, I am specifically trying to use Imperator, to put some emphasis on the power of imperium.

I'll probably go with Imperator et Senatus Populusque Romanus, since I'm not sure how to use the que particle.

Normal usage would be to just drop the et, I believe, but you also sometimes see authors using multiple -ques, so if you wanted to use it you could either go with Imperator Senatus Populusque Romanus or Imperator Senatusque Populusque Romanus -- but it does indeed work as you have it.
Last edited by Astrolinium on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay