NATION

PASSWORD

Latin motto clinic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hyggemata
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hyggemata » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Gigaverse wrote:
Hyggemata wrote:But you understand why it has to be a circumflex, right?

Basically, yes. Though I can't say I'd memorize.

Don't feel constrained to my suggestion, though. There are dialects that do not contract vowels, like Ionic. You get used to them if you read Herodotus, which is a famously straightforward author.
Conservative logic: every slope is a slippery slope.
Liberal logic: climb every mountain; ford every stream.
Washington Resistance Army wrote:Fuck the common good

Lemlar
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 11, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Lemlar » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:26 pm

United we stand, United we conquer.
Επίσημο 'Ονομα: Παγκόσμια Αυτοκρατορία Λεμλαρ
Αυτοκράτορας: Ανδρέασ Νεμεθ
Epstein didn't kill himself

Εκτακτες Ειδήσεις: LemlarΛεμλαρ, ξεκινώντας μια νέα εποχή καθώς το πράσινο κόμμα έχει δημιουργήσει έναν συνασπισμό με τους καθιερωμένους μοναρχικούς.

Demetland
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Demetland » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:31 pm

Lemlar wrote:United we stand, United we conquer.

Uniti stamus, vincimus uniti.
Eurem yn er·wyll, a·m hudwy i berthyll;
a byδiv drythyll, o armes Fferyll.

Lætabundus
exsultet fidelis chorus:
Alleluya.

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Hello. I'd like to ask if this is at all accurate. My fictional Vampiric species, Homo Nosferatu Noctivagus, has (obviously) a Latin scientific name.
Is it at all comprehensible? Should I change it in any way?

Thank you.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.
Rate me as Prime Minister

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:08 pm

The Islands of Versilia wrote:Hello. I'd like to ask if this is at all accurate. My fictional Vampiric species, Homo Nosferatu Noctivagus, has (obviously) a Latin scientific name.

Thank you.

I don't know if it's what I would have come up with. I'll say it's mostly serviceable for your purposes, though. I don't know the specifics of your Vampires, but I might change it to something like Homo Nosferatensis noctivagus or something, just so that the "Nosferatu" looks a little less tacked on and resembles other scientific names a little more closely.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:11 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
The Islands of Versilia wrote:Hello. I'd like to ask if this is at all accurate. My fictional Vampiric species, Homo Nosferatu Noctivagus, has (obviously) a Latin scientific name.

Thank you.

I don't know if it's what I would have come up with. I'll say it's mostly serviceable for your purposes, though. I don't know the specifics of your Vampires, but I might change it to something like Homo Nosferatensis noctivagus or something, just so that the "Nosferatu" looks a little less tacked on and resembles other scientific names a little more closely.

Thank you.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.
Rate me as Prime Minister

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:21 am

The Islands of Versilia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Thank you.

Just to add, you might want to write everything after Homo in lowercase to conform to scientific norms.
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:35 pm

Not a motto, but since you guys are the only Latin masters that I know:

How would I be able to say, Before the Calamity and After the Calamity, in Latin?

I want to use them for a calendar era, kinda like how Anno Domini works.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Demetland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Demetland » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:Not a motto, but since you guys are the only Latin masters that I know:

How would I be able to say, Before the Calamity and After the Calamity, in Latin?

I want to use them for a calendar era, kinda like how Anno Domini works.

Ante Calamitāte and Post Calamitātem.

Lætabundus
exsultet fidelis chorus:
Alleluya.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:50 pm

I am that which I am and choose to be (for Pro Valle, one of my puppets)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:10 am

'Sum qui sum et quod volo esse' might work, or if you replace 'volo' with 'eligo'.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Demetland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Demetland » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:17 am

Great Nortend wrote:'Sum qui sum et quod volo esse' might work, or if you replace 'volo' with 'eligo'.

(Ego) sum (is) qui (ego) sum et quem (me) esse volo.

Something like this perhaps?

Lætabundus
exsultet fidelis chorus:
Alleluya.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:20 am

What is the Latin translation for "Don't mind me, I'm just making sure I keep an eye on this so I can educate myself in Latin"?
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:17 am

Demetland wrote:
Great Nortend wrote:'Sum qui sum et quod volo esse' might work, or if you replace 'volo' with 'eligo'.

Quem is the masculine accusative. It thought it should be in the nominative, as it is the complement of 'esse', isn't it?. I never really got when to use neuter and when to use masculine for abstract concepts and pronouns as a whole baffle me. You're probably right though; I didn't do Latin in school.

EDIT: Oh I see what you've done. 'Me' agrees with 'quem'. I hadn't thought of it like that. Shouldn't there be a 'se' in there?
Last edited by Great Nortend on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Demetland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Demetland » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:21 pm

Great Nortend wrote:
Demetland wrote:

Quem is the masculine accusative. It thought it should be in the nominative, as it is the complement of 'esse', isn't it?. I never really got when to use neuter and when to use masculine for abstract concepts and pronouns as a whole baffle me. You're probably right though; I didn't do Latin in school.

EDIT: Oh I see what you've done. 'Me' agrees with 'quem'. I hadn't thought of it like that. Shouldn't there be a 'se' in there?

Me and quem are accusatives because they are the objects of volo and form the accusative part of the accusative and infinitive construction: which I wish myself to be. To be honest I'm not sure of the Latinity of the phrase but it seems like it should constitute a passable attempt.

One of the problem with this phrase is that it has many elements in English which in Latin we would wish to omit and just leave implied, such as the demonstrative pronoun is. The essential structure is the rather sparse I am that with two separate relative clauses attached: which I am and which I want to be. Assuming the speaker to be a man (i.e. a person) the masculine is seems most natural.

The relative pronoun qui, quae, quod must agree with its antecedent (the noun or pronoun the relative clause relates to - in this instance is) in gender, number, and person; so it is simply the grammatical gender of the noun that determines which gender relative you use. Here we the masculine is rather than ea or id so we must have qui to go with it. So the other relative clause has to have the masculine relative pronoun as well since it too depends on the is.

is, ea, id being the demonstrative can mean he, she, it, but it can also mean this or that:

Is puer means that boy just as much as ea puella means that girl.

My only issue with your translation was the incongruity between the implied masculine is and explicit neuter quod.

Se is the third person reflexive pronoun: Is est is qui est et quem se esse vult. i.e. himself. But we're using the first person, so the accusative form of ego is used: me. Or perhaps the emphasised form memet.

Lætabundus
exsultet fidelis chorus:
Alleluya.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Ah yes, the acc-inf construction. Always trips me up when it's combined with forms of esse.

Hyggemata
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hyggemata » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:17 am

Tinhampton wrote:I am that which I am and choose to be (for Pro Valle, one of my puppets)

Sum qui sum que elego esse quem que.

This is my attempt.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:50 am

Can you use 'que' as a standalone word?

Hyggemata
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hyggemata » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:29 am

Great Nortend wrote:Can you use 'que' as a standalone word?

Que means "and". I wrote it apart to indicate it more clearly.

Demetland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Demetland » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:02 am

Hyggemata wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:I am that which I am and choose to be (for Pro Valle, one of my puppets)

Sum qui sum que elego esse quem que.

This is my attempt.

That's not how you use -que.

-que follows the word which, had you used et instead, et would have preceded.

So you've got:

Sum qui et sum elego esse et quem.

Also, the second -que seems redundant. Two -ques usually imply both ... and ...

If that is what you intended, it's not entirely incomprehensible. It's just not very charitable to put the ques in that position and expect everyone to sort it out.
Last edited by Demetland on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lætabundus
exsultet fidelis chorus:
Alleluya.

Hyggemata
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hyggemata » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 am

Demetland wrote:
Hyggemata wrote:Sum qui sum que elego esse quem que.

This is my attempt.

That's not how you use -que.

-que follows the word which, had you used et instead, et would have preceded.

So you've got:

Sum qui et sum elego esse et quem.

Also, the second -que seems redundant. Two -ques usually imply both ... and ...

If that is what you intended, it's not entirely incomprehensible. It's just not very charitable to put the ques in that position and expect everyone to sort it out.

I've always perceived que to be equivalent to τε in Greek.

οἶνόν τε μῆλόν τε ἀφίημι (I send wine and an apple).

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:37 am

You cannot use 'que' separately. It is an enclitic and must be attached to a word.

Hyggemata
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hyggemata » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:11 am

Great Nortend wrote:You cannot use 'que' separately. It is an enclitic and must be attached to a word.

I spelled it sepaparely to emphasize its presence. I know it is an enclitic.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:30 pm

I would like to know the phrase "Rising above the rising tides" in Latin, if you please.
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Demetland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Demetland » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Danceria wrote:I would like to know the phrase "Rising above the rising tides" in Latin, if you please.

Perhaps Oriēns super orientēs aestūs.

Lætabundus
exsultet fidelis chorus:
Alleluya.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay