NATION

PASSWORD

Latin motto clinic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Iuronia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Iuronia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Inventio wrote:Would someone translate "truth in technology; freedom in the environment" for me? Thanks greatly.

Veritas in technologia; libertas in natura.

Another option, which would be slightly metaphorical, and I'm not sure if applicable, could be:

Veritas in artificio; libertas in circumiecto.

Also, "Mirare" is the name of my region's planet. I've been told this might be Latin. If it is, then what does it mean?

I believe it is "to wonder, marvel (at something)."

Edit 1: Fixed the first example (dative > ablative).
Last edited by Iuronia on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For: Nothing

Against: Everything

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:21 pm

Iuronia wrote:
Inventio wrote:Would someone translate "truth in technology; freedom in the environment" for me? Thanks greatly.

Veritas in technologiae; libertas in naturae.

Another option, which would be slightly metaphorical, and I'm not sure if applicable, could be:

Also, "Mirare" is the name of my region's planet. I've been told this might be Latin. If it is, then what does it mean?

Wait, why are those dative?
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Iuronia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iuronia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Iuronia wrote:Veritas in technologiae; libertas in naturae.

Wait, why are those dative?

Shit, I mixed up the dative with the ablative. I must've confused it with Gothic or some shit, because it uses the dative for locatives.

Morlago
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:56 am

Motto for my puppet is "De Pace Libertas" right now. I'm trying to say "From Peace, Freedom". Does that make sense? Thanks. :)
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Iuronia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iuronia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:19 am

Morlago wrote:Motto for my puppet is "De Pace Libertas" right now. I'm trying to say "From Peace, Freedom". Does that make sense? Thanks. :)

I'd prefer a rather than de. Maybe even with no preposition, but I'd go with a (which I believe would wield something like "freedom by peace," something ex/e might render as "freedom from peace").

Karland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Karland » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:18 am

Iuronia wrote:
Inventio wrote:Also, "Mirare" is the name of my region's planet. I've been told this might be Latin. If it is, then what does it mean?

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of miror (inf: mirari). I don't think 'mirare' is a word.
Senator, Equilism
Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific
Behind everything beautiful, there has been some kind of pain.
Everyone has a secret they haven’t shared. Everyone has a past no one’s heard about. Everyone has talents that people don’t notice. Everyone has weaknesses hidden inside. Everyone has a story left untold, so never start judging someone thinking you know them back to front. Because the truth is, you probably don’t.

Iuronia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iuronia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:27 am

Karland wrote:
Iuronia wrote:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of miror (inf: mirari). I don't think 'mirare' is a word.

Ah, yea, you're right. But mirare is a word which bears the same meaning in Romanian, Sardinian, and Italian, so I'd assume that's what their name means.
Last edited by Iuronia on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voltrovia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Voltrovia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:54 pm

I have attempted to translate my motto 'To bring light, through diligence and dexterity.' using what grasp I have of Latin. Is 'Apportare lucem, per industriam et astutiam' in fact a correct translation?
If we burn the defence papers, maybe the journalists will go away. On a private estate in the middle of the night.
In 1988. Without quite letting the residents know. Only Voltrovian protagonist kids remember.

When Sparrows Shout (And The World Goes To War)
An idea (RP; very much unfinished)

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Voltrovia wrote:I have attempted to translate my motto 'To bring light, through diligence and dexterity.' using what grasp I have of Latin. Is 'Apportare lucem, per industriam et astutiam' in fact a correct translation?

It works well enough; I'd maybe use ferre instead of apportare, and (as a bit of stylistic niggle) perhaps switch the order of those two 'round and use -que instead of et.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Howltaria
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Howltaria » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:00 am

Hey kind people. I was wondering if somebody could translate this into latin for me? “Swift as foxes, hungry like wolves!”. I tried google translate but alas no luck. Cheers :)
Social Liberalism, Market intervention, Capitalism, Liberal Feminism, LGBT Rights, Political and Ethical Cosmopolitanism, Developmental Individualism, Civil Liberties, Freedom, Representative Democracy, Reduction of Inequalities, Secularism, Atheism, Republicanism, EU, Tolerance, Acceptance, Sex, Science... bitch!
Fascism, Communism, Traditional and Neoconservatism, Marxism, Pro-Woman/Pro Family feminists, Radical Feminists, Discrimination, Nationalism, Monarchy, Religious Fundamentalism, Ignorance, Abstinence.
Sup brah? I'm Jamie, 20 Years old. Friendly Social Liberal who's studying Politics at University. PM me for more info.
Not a Furry nation! We're fully human, no werewolves here either.

Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.69

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:05 am

Howltaria wrote:Hey kind people. I was wondering if somebody could translate this into latin for me? “Swift as foxes, hungry like wolves!”. I tried google translate but alas no luck. Cheers :)

Tam celer quam vulpes, tam esuriens quam lupus.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Voltrovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltrovia » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:50 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Voltrovia wrote:I have attempted to translate my motto 'To bring light, through diligence and dexterity.' using what grasp I have of Latin. Is 'Apportare lucem, per industriam et astutiam' in fact a correct translation?

It works well enough; I'd maybe use ferre instead of apportare, and (as a bit of stylistic niggle) perhaps switch the order of those two 'round and use -que instead of et.

I think I will keep apportare in order to retain the meaning of the conveyance and bringing of something as opposed to the mere act of bearing something. Nonetheless, your stylistic advice is entirely appropriate and has been taken on board to produce [b]'Apportare lucem, per astutiamque industriam.'

Thank you for the help. :)
If we burn the defence papers, maybe the journalists will go away. On a private estate in the middle of the night.
In 1988. Without quite letting the residents know. Only Voltrovian protagonist kids remember.

Howltaria
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Howltaria » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:58 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Howltaria wrote:Hey kind people. I was wondering if somebody could translate this into latin for me? “Swift as foxes, hungry like wolves!”. I tried google translate but alas no luck. Cheers :)

Tam celer quam vulpes, tam esuriens quam lupus.

Cheers mate do appreciate!
Social Liberalism, Market intervention, Capitalism, Liberal Feminism, LGBT Rights, Political and Ethical Cosmopolitanism, Developmental Individualism, Civil Liberties, Freedom, Representative Democracy, Reduction of Inequalities, Secularism, Atheism, Republicanism, EU, Tolerance, Acceptance, Sex, Science... bitch!
Fascism, Communism, Traditional and Neoconservatism, Marxism, Pro-Woman/Pro Family feminists, Radical Feminists, Discrimination, Nationalism, Monarchy, Religious Fundamentalism, Ignorance, Abstinence.
Sup brah? I'm Jamie, 20 Years old. Friendly Social Liberal who's studying Politics at University. PM me for more info.
Not a Furry nation! We're fully human, no werewolves here either.

Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.69

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:23 pm

Voltrovia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

I think I will keep apportare in order to retain the meaning of the conveyance and bringing of something as opposed to the mere act of bearing something. Nonetheless, your stylistic advice is entirely appropriate and has been taken on board to produce [b]'Apportare lucem, per astutiamque industriam.'

The -que has to go on whichever word is last, actually.

And I meant to switch the order of apportare and lucem, anyway -- good Latin style tends to prefer an SOV order.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Voltrovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltrovia » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:34 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Voltrovia wrote:
I think I will keep apportare in order to retain the meaning of the conveyance and bringing of something as opposed to the mere act of bearing something. Nonetheless, your stylistic advice is entirely appropriate and has been taken on board to produce 'Apportare lucem, per astutiamque industriam.'

And I meant to switch the order of apportare and lucem, anyway -- good Latin style tends to prefer an SOV order.

It is evident I still remain prone to the making of silly mistakes with what Latin I do know - as is evidenced by the above! Finally: 'Lucem apportare, per astutiam industriamque.'

Thank you once more.
Last edited by Voltrovia on Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:02 pm

Iuronia wrote:
Karland wrote:

Ah, yea, you're right. But mirare is a word which bears the same meaning in Romanian, Sardinian, and Italian, so I'd assume that's what their name means.

Erm... "Mirare" is a word in Latin.

Verse 2 of the Catholic prayer "Omni die dic Mariae" says: "Contemplare et mirare Ejus celsitudinem: Dic felicem genitricem, Dic beatam Virginem.
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Karland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Karland » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:20 pm

The North Polish Union wrote:
Iuronia wrote:Ah, yea, you're right. But mirare is a word which bears the same meaning in Romanian, Sardinian, and Italian, so I'd assume that's what their name means.

Verse 2 of the Catholic prayer "Omni die dic Mariae" says: "Contemplare et mirare Ejus celsitudinem: Dic felicem genitricem, Dic beatam Virginem.

Ah, my apologies. That form of mirare is actually the imperative of the word miror I referred to early. miror = 'to wonder at', mirare = 'wonder at, or be amazed!'.
Senator, Equilism
Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific
Behind everything beautiful, there has been some kind of pain.
Everyone has a secret they haven’t shared. Everyone has a past no one’s heard about. Everyone has talents that people don’t notice. Everyone has weaknesses hidden inside. Everyone has a story left untold, so never start judging someone thinking you know them back to front. Because the truth is, you probably don’t.

Iuronia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iuronia » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:53 pm

The North Polish Union wrote:
Iuronia wrote:Ah, yea, you're right. But mirare is a word which bears the same meaning in Romanian, Sardinian, and Italian, so I'd assume that's what their name means.

Mirare is in Vulgar Latin, Mirari is its form in Classical.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:10 am

Iuronia wrote:
The North Polish Union wrote:Erm... "Mirare" is a word in Latin.

Mirare is in Vulgar Latin, Mirari is its form in Classical.

Except that, as noted above, mirare is the classical imperative.

Voltrovia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

It is evident I still remain prone to the making of silly mistakes with what Latin I do know - as is evidenced by the above!

Omnia bona sunt; errare humanum est.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Iuronia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iuronia » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:23 am

Astrolinium wrote:
Iuronia wrote:Mirare is in Vulgar Latin, Mirari is its form in Classical.

Except that, as noted above, mirare is the classical imperative..

Yes, but I simply presented the other explanation as to what that word is.

Mitonesia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mitonesia » Fri May 02, 2014 12:10 pm

Ok, this is just waht I was looking for. First I'd like to ask if my current motto is correct. If I remeber corectly it was a speaker of latin who corrected it for me but I want to check. And I wanted another motto but it might be too big... How do you say: "Behold now the Great Machine of the World, ethereal and elemental constructed upon knowledge and conquest"?
Senator Alexandre Ruisseau Mitonesia (Weilënze, Constituency 169)
Member of the New Democrats

I'm portuguese and male.
My nation and my senator are a good mirror of my political/social beliefs (There might be things I don't agree with anymore). For general topics regarding my view on politics and such head there.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri May 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Mitonesia wrote:Ok, this is just waht I was looking for. First I'd like to ask if my current motto is correct. If I remeber corectly it was a speaker of latin who corrected it for me but I want to check. And I wanted another motto but it might be too big... How do you say: "Behold now the Great Machine of the World, ethereal and elemental constructed upon knowledge and conquest"?

Your current motto is current.

The second one is probably too long for the field, but would translate to (I think):

Ecce nunc Machina Mundi Magna, aetheria et elementalis, confecta a scientia victoriaque.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Mitonesia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Mitonesia » Fri May 02, 2014 2:11 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Mitonesia wrote:Ok, this is just waht I was looking for. First I'd like to ask if my current motto is correct. If I remeber corectly it was a speaker of latin who corrected it for me but I want to check. And I wanted another motto but it might be too big... How do you say: "Behold now the Great Machine of the World, ethereal and elemental constructed upon knowledge and conquest"?

Your current motto is current.

The second one is probably too long for the field, but would translate to (I think):

Ecce nunc Machina Mundi Magna, aetheria et elementalis, confecta a scientia victoriaque.

Yeah that's one of my concerns. I'll take out the elemental and ethereal part ant it becomes a reasonable size. But thank you it looks epic and sounds pretty good according to google translator. It's a very adapted citation of Os Lusíadas, just for curiosity :p

I'm portuguese and male.
My nation and my senator are a good mirror of my political/social beliefs (There might be things I don't agree with anymore). For general topics regarding my view on politics and such head there.

Mitonesia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Mitonesia » Fri May 02, 2014 2:13 pm

Well this is annoying... "Ecce nunc Machina Mundi Magna confecta a scientia victoriaque." is six letters too long. Is there any way to shorten it?

I'm portuguese and male.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri May 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Mitonesia wrote:Well this is annoying... "Ecce nunc Machina Mundi Magna confecta a scientia victoriaque." is six letters too long. Is there any way to shorten it?

Nunc and magna seem the least necessary parts of the phrase.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay