NATION

PASSWORD

NS History: You've Got Questions, We've Got Answers!

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Crazy girl wrote:
Cromarty wrote:1. Who was Poskrebyshev?
2. Have there been distinct eras in the R/D game where one side was firmly on top for a sustained period of time?
3. Where does the whole TRR BBQ thing come from?
4. What was the first UCR?
5. I keep hearing of x organisation or y group (a product of me being a gameplayer for about 53 seconds) that was influencial/powerful ass-ages ago. Who were some of the most major groups, when looking at all 8 years of NS?

1. Posky was one of the original senars of the NPO, and I believe a RL friend of Francos Spain, he also held the delegacy of the Pacific for a while.
3. There was a period where defenders outnumbered the invaders in defenses, but that had to do with coordination and cooperation rather than actually outnumbering them. Defender unity was much better back in the days, where invader unity seems to work better in current times. That is my perception, others might have a different view of it :P
2. Umm...that came from Kandarin's BBQ & Grill, a term I used years ago when sending invaders to the RR. I guess it kinda stuck :P
4. No clue. Some silly named test region that has long ago ceased to exist?
5. Back in the days? I'll toss out some names, but I'm sure I'll forget a bunch... ADN, RLA, TITO, GLA, DEN, Blue Moon, Empire of Power, Meritocracy, Atlantic Alliance, RRA, North Pacific Army, Freedom Fighters, Pacific Defenders...Man, I can't remember the invaders anymore..and I'll let the new generation name the newer orgs :P

All interesting :)

Although I'm a little disappointed at Posky not being some rival of Francos, locked in a battle for the delegacy, as Topid's delegacy change table seems to suggest ;P
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Greater Mackonia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Mackonia » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:44 pm

What exactly is the black hawks and how were they founded and what are their beliefs
The Agonocracy of Greater Mackonia
"Show me someone without an ego, and I'll show you a loser."
-Donald J. Trump.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:06 pm

The Black Hawks is one of the leading raider organizations in Nationstates. It was founded in early 2005 by Halcones, who is probably one of the more brilliant raiders to have played the game. Our ideology is Raider Unity, plain and simple. We have no political motivations or role-play personas.

For more info on the history, check out the History section of the NSWiki article. Everything after the history section is out of date though, cause we don't really look after that page anymore.
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Dimoniquid
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 10, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dimoniquid » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:11 pm

I r haz question. Who were the first founding nations of the NSverse?

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:22 pm

[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Joshuahood
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Joshuahood » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:38 pm

In reference to New New York's question, what exactly is a farker?
Romulus Dion-Capulet Diablessa Potentia, Son of Elindra Kshrlmnt and Avakael Diablessa. Proud Grandson of Heras Savaer Dion
Former WA Delegate of Unknown
Raids participated in (regardless of outcome): 26

Argyres
Bureaucrat

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Argyres » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:45 am

Don't forget ALL, CG 8)

Glad you remembered us blowhards though.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:06 am

Joshuahood wrote:In reference to New New York's question, what exactly is a farker?

A member of Farkistan, one the oldest (and most prolific) griefer groups is NS. Many of the old anti-griefing rules were established due to their exploits.

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 am

If you had a chance to choose a "dream" team of three defenders and a "nightmare" team of three opponents who'd give them the biggest competition (raider, tyrant, whatever), who would they be? What armies would they command? What would be the most "epic" target?

Feel free to use as much history as you'd like to answer the question. :)
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Ananke II
Envoy

Founded: Mar 15, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ananke II » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:07 am

Wasn't Ackbar one of the Farkers? If so, I wouldn't call all of them griefers. He was one of the invaders we (defenders) had very good relations with.

Darkesia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Darkesia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:59 am

Loop was a Farker. IIRC, they were actual Farkers (from the site Fark.com) who heard about NS on that site and came to see what havoc they could wreak when left to an environment shackled only by their own creativity.
Blackbird wrote:Francoism is to fascism as Marxism is to peanut butter.
Greater Moldavi wrote:If I didn't say things like that then I wouldn't be...well me.
Katganistan wrote:I imagine it's the rabid crotch-seeking ninja attack weasels. Very hard to train, so you don't see them in use in many places.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:46 pm

Ananke II wrote:Wasn't Ackbar one of the Farkers? If so, I wouldn't call all of them griefers. He was one of the invaders we (defenders) had very good relations with.

Some of them settled down after a bit.

Joshuahood
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Joshuahood » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:24 pm

Oh right, I remember this from somewhere now. Thanks! :)
Romulus Dion-Capulet Diablessa Potentia, Son of Elindra Kshrlmnt and Avakael Diablessa. Proud Grandson of Heras Savaer Dion

New Rome Pax
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rome Pax » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:56 pm

What was the biggest war in NS history, and why?
Edward Talleyrand,
Prime Minister of the Land of Kings and Emperors

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:33 pm

Who is the oldest active nation?
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:43 pm

Ah yes, how could I forget ALL.

And yes, Ackbar was very sensible. I miss having him around.

Ananke II
Envoy

Founded: Mar 15, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ananke II » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:55 am

I loved ALL, but damn, I'm still grumpy about Merit's actions there. The biggest reason TNP joined ALL was because it got us allied with The Meritocracy and the first time we actually needed help, half the Merit senators promptly started discussing how to get out of the treaty.

Still, a decent amount of senators did come through for us and that particular Merit administration was pretty awesome.

Argyres
Bureaucrat

Anarchy

Postby Argyres » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:43 am

It was always extremely difficult to get the Meritocracy to take an unequivocal stance given its membership (especially after my and Unistrut's consulships). I think, in broad terms, the Meritocracy had defenderish leanings because it mirrored our own views regarding national and regional sovereignty. In practical terms, these ideals often conflicted with the realpolitik of our "soft power" - in order to keep dialogues open with, say, the NPO, we weren't going to be raising the banner of liberation for the Pacific as others would want us to.

In addition, with shady characters like you around, the North Pacific was hardly sympathetic :ugeek:
Last edited by Argyres on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Punk Daddy
Envoy

Founded: May 08, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Daddy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:21 pm

Argyres wrote:It was always extremely difficult to get the Meritocracy to take an unequivocal stance given its membership (especially after my and Unistrut's consulships). I think, in broad terms, the Meritocracy had defenderish leanings because it mirrored our own views regarding national and regional sovereignty. In practical terms, these ideals often conflicted with the realpolitik of our "soft power" - in order to keep dialogues open with, say, the NPO, we weren't going to be raising the banner of liberation for the Pacific as others would want us to.

In addition, with shady characters like you around, the North Pacific was hardly sympathetic :ugeek:

During the takeover of TNP, I was always surprised by the nuetrality of The Merit. But given it's broad makeup it should not have been surprising at all. The Merit, at its height, was a very unique organization within NS in that it housed many of the best gameplayers who often were competing with one another in other arenas. Things did come to a head though in early 2005 when the whole ADN-NPO blow-up forced Winnipeg to hit the reboot button.

I have often wondered what would have happened if he didn't reset the forums.
The man, the myth, the legend.

Joshuahood
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Joshuahood » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:23 am

Can someone tell me the history of Regional Influence, why it was created, and what effect it had/has?

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:05 pm

I think I can answer at least the why.

*puts down a plate with milk and cookies*

A long time ago, before influence was ever heard of, we had a long list of invasion rules. They were kinda complicated and hard to enforce, and often unsuspecting invader delegates (or even native delegates) broke them and got in big trouble over it.
Of course, there were also defenders who broke them, thinking those rules only applied to invaders, and didn't realise that basically, for those rules, they were also considered invaders :P
And then there was a group who on purpose went and broke those rules because well...there will always be idiots :P

The purpose of those rules was to protect the natives against the invaders, without actually outlawing invading. This made the job very hard for game mods though, since they had to figure out who's what in a situation.

Then it was decided from above that a solution needed to be found. And influence was introduced. This practically meant that as a delegate, you needed influence to be able to perform certain actions in regional control, and these actions would drain your influence. The longer you're in a region, the more influence you get.
Influence then replaced the monster called "the invasion rules". Anything you had the influence for to do in regional control, you can do. Kick someone. Ban someone. Set a password.

The result? Perhaps some newer invaders and defenders would like to chime in as well, but as I see it, the game has become easier in terms that you don't need to worry as much as before that what you are doing is allowed. The job has become somewhat harder for defenders in that they are stuck in a region for longer if they want to kick the invaders and they can't make a native delegate. And those invaders who wish to kick a native from a region or password it will need a lot of patience as well, though that was the intention :P

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:07 pm

Anyone feel like giving a (short) history of the whole Greece thing?
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Argyres
Bureaucrat

Anarchy

Postby Argyres » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:55 pm

Cromarty wrote:Anyone feel like giving a (short) history of the whole Greece thing?

I can get the story started. On my UN nation, Iasonia, I was delegate of Greece when it first really emerged as an active region; we joined the ADN, fought a few battles, much fun was had. At the time I had a lot of stuff going on in real life and elsewhere in the game so I stepped down and various other Greek natives built on what we'd started back then. Activitiy was up and down, eventually more down like the rest of the game.

At some point, it was decided to refound the region (We'd been without a founder since before I joined and a hotspot for attacks) and the refounding didn't go off properly and through a serious of events the Persian Empire took control of the region. There's some RL/ethnic unpleasantry that lurks below the surface as well (Also with some Macedonian-affiliated nations/regions as well).

*EDIT* Editing in a timeline of sorts, checked some TGs on Iasonia to double check details

- Active natives decide to refound the region
- Refounding occurs but by an unknown nation "Yauna"
- Yauna more or less manages the region fine but keeps going inactive, eventually ceases to exist
- Persians invade, take over the region
- TITO(?) fails in a liberation attempt. Only had a couple lines about it so someone else can feel free to clarify
Last edited by Argyres on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:07 pm

Argyres wrote:
Cromarty wrote:Anyone feel like giving a (short) history of the whole Greece thing?

I can get the story started. On my UN nation, Iasonia, I was delegate of Greece when it first really emerged as an active region; we joined the ADN, fought a few battles, much fun was had. At the time I had a lot of stuff going on in real life and elsewhere in the game so I stepped down and various other Greek natives built on what we'd started back then. Activitiy was up and down, eventually more down like the rest of the game.

At some point, it was decided to refound the region (We'd been without a founder since before I joined and a hotspot for attacks) and the refounding didn't go off properly and through a serious of events the Persian Empire took control of the region. There's some RL/ethnic unpleasantry that lurks below the surface as well (Also with some Macedonian-affiliated nations/regions as well).

*EDIT* Editing in a timeline of sorts, checked some TGs on Iasonia to double check details

- Active natives decide to refound the region
- Refounding occurs but by an unknown nation "Yauna"
- Yauna more or less manages the region fine but keeps going inactive, eventually ceases to exist
- Persians invade, take over the region
- TITO(?) fails in a liberation attempt. Only had a couple lines about it so someone else can feel free to clarify

There was a liberation attempt at the time of the liberation proposal and I was involved in the one that occured a long time afterwards.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Um, I'll be lazy and copy and paste the orginal "Liberate Greece",

The Security Council,

Recognizing Greece as one of the oldest surviving regional communities in NationStates and that understanding its relatively complicated history is necessary to fully understand the region's current and dire situation,

Understanding that around August 2009, the two remaining natives of Greece (Grandon and Nikolaos The Great) decided to refound their founderless region to ensure the survival of the community,

Concerned by the fact that a relatively unknown nation, Yauna, happened to refound the region before the native, Nikolaos The Great, which intended to become the new founder of Greece, could,

Taking into consideration that, although Yauna performed its duties to the region's security by eventually repelling invasions, it was a notably inactive nation and even called a “joke” of a founder, by one native,

Reviewing some speculation by natives of Greece that Yauna is secretly allied with a foreign force, the Persian Empire, to protect its status as founder from the natives of Greece who were plotting to refound and commit mutiny against Yauna,

Concluding that, although Yauna made some critical and suspicious administrative decisions (such as permitting delegate access to the regional administration) just leading up to the current recent invasion of Greece by the Persian Empire, if Yauna was, in fact, allied with the Persian Empire, Yauna would have been capable of banning and ejecting the natives of Greece without the assistance of the invaders currently holding the region down (and it is therefore unlikely that Yauna is allied with the invaders),

Deeply concerned by the invasion of Greece that was conducted by the Persian Empire on July 30 2010 -- an invasion that used a condemned technique of invading, often referred to as “Password Grabbing,” that was popularized by Macedon and involves an invader delegate imposing a regional password immediately after successfully claiming the position of delegate,

Aware that the founder, Yauna, has not responded to the civil turmoil in Greece because of inactivity, and has since ceased to exist,

Affirming that a counterattack is impossible to conduct in Greece without the removal of the Delegate-imposed barriers to free entry,

Expecting that, without action by the World Assembly, Greece will become another prized possession of the Persian Empire, much like Ctesiphon, Greek Empire, Parthia, Hayk, Aria and Media -- all of which lack the desirable qualities of a region: activity, access and amenities,

Hereby Authorizes a removal of Delegate-imposed barriers to free entry into Greece to aid in the eternal conflict against those who threaten interregional harmony and goodwill.

Sponsored by the natives of Greece, including but not limited to Grandon and Nikolaos The Great.

The liberation passed and the FRA and Dharma ran a liberation to move in and endorse Grandon (Bunnicula/Hornopolis, a total defender newbie was made lead at the last minute because I had to do something in RL. He did fine!). Yauna came back alive.... and banejected us. I talked with Yauna that night and settled a sort of peace agreement, Yauna agreed to not ban Grandon or other Greek natives and fly the Greek flag and use a Greek WFE, so long as the liberation attempts stopped. This peace agreement didn't last, Grandon got into a fiery debate with the Persians and I think there were a couple of liberations attempted before Grandon and a few Greeks were removed from the region. With Grandon gone.. it kind of looked like that was the end.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay