NATION

PASSWORD

NS History: You've Got Questions, We've Got Answers!

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Casl
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 29, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Casl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:12 am

Durkadurkiranistan II wrote:
The Murtunian Tribes wrote:I blame the feeders demise. They were the center of actual pragmatic politics.

As do I at least in part.

I was discussing this with North East Somerset the other day; the feeders have, in reaction to diplomatically overextending themselves back in their heyday, isolated themselves from the NS world as a whole. There is some interaction among themselves but very little outside of their feeder/sinker circle. Most feederites are (like myself) old as dirt and many are largely unaware of the UCR world around them. One could say there is good reason for this isolation - feeders had become the political battlefields of the oldtimes, and of course this an unenviable scenario for a feeder. The ADN and NPO in particular butted heads in the feeders (and over the feeders). The feeders understandably tired of that incessant battle, but they in my opinion overreacted by cutting themselves off from the outside world entirely. With no foreign interaction their activity levels withered away.
Cant be more right there durk.

Still the thing is Osiris and Balder just kinda shut themselves in that circle once they were founded.

I thunk there needs to be another defender raider war to kick things up, a real one not the petty squabbles we have now. Those wars always get things stirred up and get people to do odd things and side with one of em, yet the fenders have nothing to throw at a large scale raid so eh.

Really another massive war between fenders and raiders or the feeders, or perhaps a new independent side who just wants control of stuff.... We need that
Last edited by Casl on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:33 am

Casl wrote:
Durkadurkiranistan II wrote:
As do I at least in part.

I was discussing this with North East Somerset the other day; the feeders have, in reaction to diplomatically overextending themselves back in their heyday, isolated themselves from the NS world as a whole. There is some interaction among themselves but very little outside of their feeder/sinker circle. Most feederites are (like myself) old as dirt and many are largely unaware of the UCR world around them. One could say there is good reason for this isolation - feeders had become the political battlefields of the oldtimes, and of course this an unenviable scenario for a feeder. The ADN and NPO in particular butted heads in the feeders (and over the feeders). The feeders understandably tired of that incessant battle, but they in my opinion overreacted by cutting themselves off from the outside world entirely. With no foreign interaction their activity levels withered away.
Cant be more right there durk.

Still the thing is Osiris and Balder just kinda shut themselves in that circle once they were founded.

I thunk there needs to be another defender raider war to kick things up, a real one not the petty squabbles we have now. Those wars always get things stirred up and get people to do odd things and side with one of em, yet the fenders have nothing to throw at a large scale raid so eh.

Really another massive war between fenders and raiders or the feeders, or perhaps a new independent side who just wants control of stuff.... We need that

Indeed, but that won't happen without feeder involvement. They were the nexus that really drove the need for international relations, and probably was what got most new players involved in gameplaying; indeed, a lot of players today don't even KNOW about NS outside of roleplaying. Otherwise it's just raiders and defenders arguing about the same stupid bullshit we always argue about, with the occasional random Codger post or RL based war (say like GGR decided to invaded an Israeli based region or something like that).

Casl
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 29, 2010

Postby Casl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:39 am

Yeah, really as a measure of hoe petty this war has become look at my region, Invaders banning who they wish for no reason because inevitably they know Defenders don't have the numbers to push them out.

I don't know i think the Feeders need to come out of the bubble, or someone needs to rally a truly massive army and smash it down around them. However the Defenders would never do that and neither would the raiders in their current state, we really need a third fraction to get things going again.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:45 am

Casl wrote:Yeah, really as a measure of hoe petty this war has become look at my region, Invaders banning who they wish for no reason because inevitably they know Defenders don't have the numbers to push them out.

I don't know i think the Feeders need to come out of the bubble, or someone needs to rally a truly massive army and smash it down around them. However the Defenders would never do that and neither would the raiders in their current state, we really need a third fraction to get things going again.

A third faction probably won't happen, or at least won't be that big. More likely there would need to be some internal coup coupled with influence reforms so the old guard can be booted and replaced by newer people who don't have as much of a sense that what they're doing is probably a bad idea in the long run.

Canl
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Canl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:48 am

No its a good idea, it will cause stupid decisions, declarations of war and overall silliness.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:51 am

Canl wrote:No its a good idea, it will cause stupid decisions, declarations of war and overall silliness.

Which is BAD for the region. Good for NS, maybe, but bad for the region. It's something of a paradox for feeders.

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:37 pm

Canl wrote:No its a good idea, it will cause stupid decisions, declarations of war and overall silliness.

Which would be idiotic and terrible for the region.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Fischistan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fischistan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:00 pm

How exactly did Krulltopia come to power? I have a hunch it wasn't through elections.
Xavier D'Montagne
Fischistani Ambassador to the WA
Unibot II wrote:It's Carta. He CANNOT Fail. Only successes in reverse.
The Matthew Islands wrote:Knowledge is knowing the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Anthony Delasanta wrote:its was not genocide it was ethnic cleansing...
Socorra wrote:A religion-free abortion thread is like a meat-free hamburger.
Help is on its Way: UDL
Never forget 11 September.
Never look off the edge of cliff on a segway.

11 September 1973, of course.

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Blackbird » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Fischistan wrote:How exactly did Krulltopia come to power? I have a hunch it wasn't through elections.

That's not "history" so much as it is "news." If it happened after 2006, it's not history.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:24 pm

Blackbird wrote:
Fischistan wrote:How exactly did Krulltopia come to power? I have a hunch it wasn't through elections.

That's not "history" so much as it is "news." If it happened after 2006, it's not history.

Eh, that's not really fair. There's 5 years of stuff that's happened since 2006, and plenty of people here missed out on it. Just because some of the old-timers weren't involved in it doesn't mean it isn't history :P

Asian Carp
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Asian Carp » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:26 pm

im from 07-08 then 10-11

no 09 here

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Blackbird » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:53 am

Sedgistan wrote:
Blackbird wrote:

Eh, that's not really fair. There's 5 years of stuff that's happened since 2006, and plenty of people here missed out on it. Just because some of the old-timers weren't involved in it doesn't mean it isn't history :P

As an old SOB, I reserve the right to arbitrarily define and exclude people, events, and all other things from anyone's conception of history. *chuckles*

Harmoneia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 26, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Harmoneia » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:46 am

as far as I can recall, I don't believe that The Pacific ever had an elected delegate... I may be wrong, of course.

Jeux II
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeux II » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:54 pm

To answer this question, Krull was appointed the next delegate by Moo-cows with guns when he retired as emperor.
Always here and always bored. -_-
Wait I have an idea! Entertain me with your words!

Always loving Pacifica!

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:00 am

It actually did, Harm. If I remember correctly, after InfernoIce was overthrown and the delegacy taken by Olongapo, he organised (somewhat primitively I think) elections which resulted in Thedoc being elected. This all was pre-NPO.

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:57 pm

so tell us the history of flag thief. :P
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Demphor
Senator

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Demphor » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:42 pm

What was the first now feeder region ever founded, not the big regions, was it 10000 Islands?
Get money out of politics, join Wolf PAC
iiWikiNational Anthem of Demphor
“When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?"
~ John Maynard Keynes

Darkesia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2005

Postby Darkesia » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:35 am

I'm pretty sure TEP was originally a founded region, wasn't it?
Blackbird wrote:Francoism is to fascism as Marxism is to peanut butter.
Greater Moldavi wrote:If I didn't say things like that then I wouldn't be...well me.
Katganistan wrote:I imagine it's the rabid crotch-seeking ninja attack weasels. Very hard to train, so you don't see them in use in many places.

Harmoneia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 26, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Harmoneia » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:16 am

Thanks for the trivia CG :) I became involved in the feeders during the PRP days so I don't recall any delegate elections in the Pacific :)

Vorshka
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vorshka » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:24 am

I will ask something that nobody will find.

What was the reason for the 1st Valkan War and what results did it have?
(███████████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

I am a Jedi (^^)

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:27 am

Vorshka wrote:I will ask something that nobody will find.

What was the reason for the 1st Valkan War and what results did it have?

Yeah, because it's a roleplay thing. Go ask in International Incidents.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Demphor wrote:What was the first now feeder region ever founded, not the big regions, was it 10000 Islands?

You mean "non-feeder", I assume.

That would be whatever regions Max and his buddies created in alpha testing back in 2002. There's a screenshot from the Wayback Machine somewhere in this thread. No idea if any of them have existed continuously since then.

For a continuous region, my money would be on NationStates or Europe. Unfortunately, regions don't have timestamps, and regional happenings aren't logged, so we have to depend on someone's memory.

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Blackbird » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Darkesia wrote:I'm pretty sure TEP was originally a founded region, wasn't it?

Correct. It's my recollection that when the Farkers invaded NS, they made that region.

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:41 pm

Blackbird wrote:
Darkesia wrote:I'm pretty sure TEP was originally a founded region, wasn't it?

Correct. It's my recollection that when the Farkers invaded NS, they made that region.

I thought a Nazi group at the time made TEP.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:41 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:That would be whatever regions Max and his buddies created in alpha testing back in 2002. There's a screenshot from the Wayback Machine somewhere in this thread. No idea if any of them have existed continuously since then.

The picture shows three regions.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay