NATION

PASSWORD

NS History: You've Got Questions, We've Got Answers!

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Frattastan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:05 am

TPC already had an offsite forum in May, and I'm quite sure they weren't the first ones either.
San Francisco Bay Area (forum) | Founderless Regions Alliance (FRA) | Rejected Realms Army (RRA)

Drop Your Pants wrote:I think raiders are cute, the way they think they're big and scary people who threaten others :)

Vorshka
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vorshka » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:13 am

Can someone tell me how the GGR was formed?
(███████████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

I am a Jedi (^^)

Jamie Anumia
Senator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamie Anumia » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:20 am

Vorshka wrote:Can someone tell me how the GGR was formed?

It's current incarnation? It was likely formed after the previous controllers (an anti-nazi alliance) accidentally let the founder CTE.

Vorshka
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vorshka » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:52 am

Jamie Anumia wrote:
Vorshka wrote:Can someone tell me how the GGR was formed?

It's current incarnation? It was likely formed after the previous controllers (an anti-nazi alliance) accidentally let the founder CTE.

CTE?
(███████████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

I am a Jedi (^^)

Jamie Anumia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jamie Anumia » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:55 am

Vorshka wrote:
Jamie Anumia wrote:It's current incarnation? It was likely formed after the previous controllers (an anti-nazi alliance) accidentally let the founder CTE.

CTE?

Ceased to Exist. (When a nation cte's after 28 days, or 60 on vacation mode, nations can also CTE by mod deletion)

Letoilenoir
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Recruitment/Relocation stats

Postby Letoilenoir » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:46 pm

I seem to recall that some enterprising soul did an analysis of the movement of newly created nations and where they moved to - anyone know where it might be found and if it would be possible to compare the pre and post auto telegram ban?

EDIT: Actually found it, will have to have a word with Mr McCloud (Dennis Weaver?)
Last edited by Letoilenoir on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KEEP THE BLOOD CAVE FREE

Argyres
Bureaucrat

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Argyres » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:21 pm

For what it's worth, that history sounds more like Mammothistan than BlackAdder to me, although I talked to BA on a more informal basis and didn't read many of his "NPO-ish" posts.

My impression of the Pacific around that time mirrors what else has been said - TheDoc was definitely not as ideological/strict/what have you as the NPO ended up being, but the region was hardly some sort of desolate anarchy. The rapid creation of a cohesive anti-NPO movement driven by banned natives would also seem to be a clear point against that characterization.
Last edited by Argyres on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bigfist
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bigfist » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Bigfist wrote:Can someone give me the best history of South America you can? I'm always interested in learning more about my region.

P.S. I joined in about 2010, so anything after that isn't really important.

Anyone? Will anyone answer my question? :(

The Bruce
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Bruce » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Unibot III wrote:
Folk history says TheDoc's Pacific was the first region to have an off-site forum even.

Not sure if your Wayback link in the subsequent post was supposed to date the start of TP's forum, but I know of at least 2 regions that had forums around earlier in June.

Monkey Island's first member joined the forums on 2 June 2003. (First user)
Texas's first member joined the forums on 8 June 2003. (First user)

I wasn't active then (I didn't join the game until August of that year), so I can't offer a personal account as to "who had forums first." And, it's possible that TP (or another region) had forums prior to that. Can any of the other Antiquities clarify any further?

Wysteria has posts in our offsite forum from March 2003 and the Heartlands had their forum for a couple months before we did. There was also a Farker invader Yahoo group to hash out strategy (not a real forum) as far back as the end of January 2003, before they got their own Invisionfree forum later in April.
Last edited by The Bruce on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Blackbird » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:25 pm

Bigfist wrote:
Bigfist wrote:Can someone give me the best history of South America you can? I'm always interested in learning more about my region.

P.S. I joined in about 2010, so anything after that isn't really important.

Anyone? Will anyone answer my question? :(

You're asking about a specific region. This is the gameplay forum. Generally speaking, if your region didn't participate in "gameplay" as in raider/defender gameplay, most of us here probably won't know about your region, unless it was invaded at some point. So if you weren't invaded or the site of a battle, and didn't participate in gameplay, no one here will probably. One of the problems of NationStates is in the insularity of the regional communities; if you don't want to play with others and you have a founder, you don't have to. I'm sure there are dozens of vibrant communities entirely lost to us, simply because none of us remembers them besides those who left.

Jamie Anumia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jamie Anumia » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Blackbird wrote:
Bigfist wrote:Anyone? Will anyone answer my question? :(

You're asking about a specific region. This is the gameplay forum. Generally speaking, if your region didn't participate in "gameplay" as in raider/defender gameplay, most of us here probably won't know about your region, unless it was invaded at some point. So if you weren't invaded or the site of a battle, and didn't participate in gameplay, no one here will probably. One of the problems of NationStates is in the insularity of the regional communities; if you don't want to play with others and you have a founder, you don't have to. I'm sure there are dozens of vibrant communities entirely lost to us, simply because none of us remembers them besides those who left.

South America was the centre of a rather notable endorsement battle in 2010(09 even?), however. It was notable just to TITO deploying an extremely large number of WA's. The count was - 96-66. (Defender-Raider)
Last edited by Jamie Anumia on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Blackbird » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:35 pm

Jamie Anumia wrote:
Blackbird wrote:

South America was the centre of a rather notable endorsement battle in 2010(09 even?), however. It was notable just to TITO deploying an extremely large number of WA's. The count was - 96-66. (Defender-Raider)

Well, there we go. Case in point.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:37 pm

It was also regularly targeted by an invader group variably referred to (within the FRA at least) as Shadow Warriors/the Genesis Defense Project/Nicaragua, which had a thing for invading/re-founding South American themed regions (plus plenty of others). That group died out in 2010 or so (my memory of exactly when is vague), and most their regions CTEd.

Bigfist
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bigfist » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:49 pm

Yeah, all I know is we've been raided numerous, numerous times. I was just wondering. Thanks for the help.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Jamie Anumia wrote:
Blackbird wrote:

If memory serves, the raider faction was led by DEN Army, under the command of General Franks.

EDIT: I think memory fails, actually. That was something else. I think Franks conducted a long-term occupation of SA at one time, lasting more than a couple months.
Last edited by Crushing Our Enemies on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Frattastan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:52 am

Asking old regional members (even those who may have left) or people who in the past had contacts with your region, checking old forums of SA or of regions that had close relations with SA and using tools such as the Web Archive (here is the invasion CoE was referring to. and here you can see SA when Uropia was still around!) or Texas' NSHistory are generally good ways to know more about your regional history. :)
San Francisco Bay Area (forum) | Founderless Regions Alliance (FRA) | Rejected Realms Army (RRA)

Drop Your Pants wrote:I think raiders are cute, the way they think they're big and scary people who threaten others :)

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Blackbird » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:30 am

I'll ask a question: how many Meritocratic Senators are still around? I know the Proconsul from Big D Baby is around. Anyone else?

Argyres
Bureaucrat

Anarchy

Postby Argyres » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:41 am

Nobody important

There's a few idling in the region but not, as far as I know, doing much in the game - Winni, Weg, Eureka, Frap, Warrior Thorin, Bumpi. A couple I want to say were senators but not significant figures (OddsEnds and Valcoma or something like that). I think Eli might be around in some form(?).
Last edited by Argyres on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Blackbird » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:53 am

Argyres wrote:Nobody important

There's a few idling in the region but not, as far as I know, doing much in the game - Winni, Weg, Eureka, Frap, Warrior Thorin, Bumpi. A couple I want to say were senators but not significant figures (OddsEnds and Valcoma or something like that). I think Eli might be around in some form(?).

Ah. And of course, a dashingly handsome Greek Proconsul as well.

Who were OddsEnds and Valcoma? I don't recall them.

Argyres
Bureaucrat

Anarchy

Postby Argyres » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:18 am

I guess I got Valcoma mixed up with someone else. OddsEnds was from ACCEL or something.

PopeHope is technically still around too, lest I forget. Tuesday Heights was a senator too, although she resigned during one of the many NPO/anti-NPO brouhahas

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Blackbird » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:27 am

Argyres wrote:I guess I got Valcoma mixed up with someone else. OddsEnds was from ACCEL or something.

PopeHope is technically still around too, lest I forget. Tuesday Heights was a senator too, although she resigned during one of the many NPO/anti-NPO brouhahas

PH never came back after the Charter Senate, though.

That leads me to wonder actually: how many people lasted through all the incarnations of the Senate? Charter, Accords, Pact?

Argyres
Bureaucrat

Anarchy

Postby Argyres » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:36 am

I'm too lazy to check join dates (to see if people were around for the Charter) or who signed the Pact but I imagine very few.

People i'm sure about: Winni, You.
Not sure w/regards to the pact: Myself, Jasque, Eli, Aesculapius, Moldavi
Not sure w/regards to the Charter: Big D, Warrior Thorin, CF
Not sure in general: Camo (was definitely a Senator under the Charter but didn't really do anything in the government and I don't remember what his status was afterwards). Ditto for Lady Rebels, although I dont think she was around for the Pact anyway. Eureka was a Senator off and on but was mostly an RPer post-Charter.

Mammothistan is an odd case too, he was in the Senate under at least two names (at different times, of course) but I don't know if it covers all three time periods. Tom wasn't around for the Pact, if I remember correctly; I'm pretty sure the same is true for Corintur but i could be wrong.

Others I'm unsure about; Nuclear Industrial.

*Edited for accuracy*
Last edited by Argyres on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Blackbird » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:42 am

Argyres wrote:I'm too lazy to check join dates (to see if people were around for the Charter) or who signed the Pact but I imagine very few.

People i'm sure about: Winni.
Not sure w/regards to the pact: Myself, Jasque, Eli.
Not sure w/regards to the Charter: You, Big D, Warrior Thorin
Not sure in general: Camo (was definitely a Senator under the Charter but didn't really do anything in the government and I don't remember what his status was afterwards). Ditto for Lady Rebels, although I dont think she was around for the Pact anyway. Eureka was a Senator off and on but was mostly an RPer post-Charter.

Mammothistan is an odd case too, he was in the Senate under at least two names (at different times, of course) but I don't know if it covers all three time periods. Tom wasn't around for the Pact, I'm pretty sure the same is true for Corintur but i could be wrong.

hmm...probably forgetting someone

I was in the Charter. I was Unistrut's Deputy Quaestor, and then Quaestor for almost every Consul after that in the Charter.

Argyres
Bureaucrat

Anarchy

Postby Argyres » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:47 am

Well, at least now we know why the Charter failed ;)

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Blackbird » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:52 am

Argyres wrote:Well, at least now we know why the Charter failed ;)

Well, I place the blame squarely on the Consul who voted for my admittance. Do you remember who that was?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay