NATION

PASSWORD

Dutch motto clinic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
User avatar
Herrebrugh
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15216
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Dutch motto clinic

Postby Herrebrugh » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Aimed at creating motto's that aren't only translated correctly, they also sound good.
Last edited by Herrebrugh on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Herrebrugh
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15216
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Herrebrugh » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:04 am

Random powerhungry examples:

Freedom, at every cost = Vrijheid, tegen elke prijs

Unity through Power, Power through Force = Eendracht door Macht, Macht door Kracht

We make nuclear biscuits = Wij maken nucleaire biscuitjes

Random peaceful examples:

United in Peace = Vereend in Vrede

Pacifist, Socialist, Federalist = Pacifistisch, Socialistisch, Federalistisch

Take a biscuit, while you're at it = Neem een biscuitje, nu je er toch bent




Motto's are translated from English to Dutch, or from Dutch to English. It's also possible to translate from German to Dutch, but my German isn't exactly perfect so I wouldn't recommend it.

User avatar
Boriem
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1127
Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Boriem » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:51 am

"For our Homeland, For our Brothers"

Thanks in advance.
...

User avatar
Herrebrugh
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15216
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Herrebrugh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:55 am

Boriem wrote:"For our Homeland, For our Brothers"

Thanks in advance.


Finally someone!

"Voor ons Thuisland, Voor onze Broeders"

Alternatively you could also choose:

Voor ons Vaderland, Voor onze Broeders (For our Fatherland, For our Brothers)
or
Voor ons Vaderland, Voor onze Kameraden (For our Fatherland, For our Comrades)

Might I also ask what you are going to use it for?
Last edited by Herrebrugh on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Morlago
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1396
Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:09 am

To the Stars We Advance

Thanks!
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6


Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

User avatar
Herrebrugh
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15216
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Herrebrugh » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:48 am

Morlago wrote:To the Stars We Advance

Thanks!


Kind of difficult to translate into Dutch, so I might have changed some words:

"Samen de Sterren Tegemoet" (Together Towards the Stars)

"De Sterren Naderend" (Nearing the Stars)

"Opwaarts Naar de Sterren" (Upwards To the Stars)

User avatar
Boriem
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1127
Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Boriem » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:33 pm

I'm planning to use it as my new motto, I've been using a Latin one for a bit, but I've always liked the Dutch language so I decided that I'll change it to the Dutch version.
...

User avatar
Herrebrugh
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15216
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Herrebrugh » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:35 pm

Boriem wrote:I'm planning to use it as my new motto, I've been using a Latin one for a bit, but I've always liked the Dutch language so I decided that I'll change it to the Dutch version.


Glad I could help!

User avatar
Boriem
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1127
Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Boriem » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:34 pm

Is it possible that I could have a Dutch name for my capital, I know this is mostly aimed at mottos, but I just need a random, fake Dutch name for a city.
...

User avatar
Herrebrugh
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15216
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Herrebrugh » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:41 pm

Boriem wrote:Is it possible that I could have a Dutch name for my capital, I know this is mostly aimed at mottos, but I just need a random, fake Dutch name for a city.


Let's see.

Boriem stad (Boriem City)

Tragen

Groos

Wertserveen

User avatar
Boriem
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1127
Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Boriem » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks again!
...

User avatar
Drouga
Secretary
 
Posts: 34
Founded: Jan 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Dutch motto clinic

Postby Drouga » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:30 pm

I don't know if your still doing this, but if you are could you translate "Serve the many through the few" for me? Thanks in any case.

User avatar
Ballotonia
Senior Admin
 
Posts: 5628
Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ballotonia » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:22 pm

Drouga wrote:I don't know if your still doing this, but if you are could you translate "Serve the many through the few" for me? Thanks in any case.


"Dien velen via enkelen".

Ballotonia
Last edited by Ballotonia on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Een volk dat voor tirannen zwicht zal meer dan lijf en goed verliezen, dan dooft het licht…" -- H.M. van Randwijk

User avatar
Viritica
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7790
Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:18 am

"Faith and Unity for People and Fatherland"?
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

User avatar
Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11229
Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:23 am

"testicle moose defenders"
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

User avatar
Leepaidamba
Minister
 
Posts: 3337
Founded: Sep 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Leepaidamba » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:31 am

Viritica wrote:"Faith and Unity for People and Fatherland"?

"Trouw en Eenheid voor Volk en Vaderland."
The word "faith" doesn't really translate well. "Geloof" would be a better translation if you mean it in a religious sense.
Neo Arcad wrote:"testicle moose defenders"

"testikel eland verdedigers"
I don't know if that's even remotely what you want but whatever.
Factbook
Official name: the Grand Duchy of Leepaidamba
Short name: Amba
AKA: the Grand Duchy
Demonym: Leepaidamban/Amban
HoS: co-Grand Dukes David I and Anna I
HoG: Premier Jaap de Waal
Region: Nederland
Map by PB
FlagsNational animal: Rabit
National motto: "Paene est non." (Almost is not)
National anthem: " 't Lied der Vrijheid" (the Song of Freedom)
CapitalsCurrency: Amban Florin/Aƒ
Languages
Dependencies
No news

User avatar
The BlAAtschApen
Technical Moderator
 
Posts: 65973
Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby The BlAAtschApen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:46 am

Leepaidamba wrote:
Viritica wrote:"Faith and Unity for People and Fatherland"?

"Trouw en Eenheid voor Volk en Vaderland."
The word "faith" doesn't really translate well. "Geloof" would be a better translation if you mean it in a religious sense.
Neo Arcad wrote:"testicle moose defenders"

"testikel eland verdedigers"
I don't know if that's even remotely what you want but whatever.


Leep is suffering from the English disease :p : elandverdedigers is one word. "Testikel" might also be a part of the noun, depending on what you actually mean. Or we might put a - between it so like this "testikel-elandverdedigers".
The Blaatschapen should resign
Dark Theme users won't see this line.

I don't believe in the market economy, I'm a sheep, not a little piggy.

User avatar
Leepaidamba
Minister
 
Posts: 3337
Founded: Sep 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Leepaidamba » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:35 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Leepaidamba wrote:"Trouw en Eenheid voor Volk en Vaderland."
The word "faith" doesn't really translate well. "Geloof" would be a better translation if you mean it in a religious sense.

"testikel eland verdedigers"
I don't know if that's even remotely what you want but whatever.


Leep is suffering from the English disease :p : elandverdedigers is one word. "Testikel" might also be a part of the noun, depending on what you actually mean. Or we might put a - between it so like this "testikel-elandverdedigers".

I'm more suffering of Brick English. I haven't the slightest clue what a testicle moose is supposed to be.
Factbook
Official name: the Grand Duchy of Leepaidamba
Short name: Amba
AKA: the Grand Duchy
Demonym: Leepaidamban/Amban
HoS: co-Grand Dukes David I and Anna I
HoG: Premier Jaap de Waal
Region: Nederland
Map by PB
FlagsNational animal: Rabit
National motto: "Paene est non." (Almost is not)
National anthem: " 't Lied der Vrijheid" (the Song of Freedom)
CapitalsCurrency: Amban Florin/Aƒ
Languages
Dependencies
No news

User avatar
The BlAAtschApen
Technical Moderator
 
Posts: 65973
Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby The BlAAtschApen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:43 am

Leepaidamba wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
Leep is suffering from the English disease :p : elandverdedigers is one word. "Testikel" might also be a part of the noun, depending on what you actually mean. Or we might put a - between it so like this "testikel-elandverdedigers".

I'm more suffering of Brick English. I haven't the slightest clue what a testicle moose is supposed to be.


It's probably related to the sperm whale.

Also: I meant http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engelse_ziekte_%28taal%29 with the English disease. And I was referring to symptom number two on that list (misuse of spaces).
Last edited by The BlAAtschApen on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Blaatschapen should resign
Dark Theme users won't see this line.

I don't believe in the market economy, I'm a sheep, not a little piggy.


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Thebrin

Advertisement

Remove ads