NATION

PASSWORD

The Identity of TSP's rogue delegate revealed

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kshrlmnt
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 06, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Kshrlmnt » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Daynor wrote:
Ardchoille wrote:snip misunderstanding
What I think Wordy meant in that post was that for a mod to engage in raiding or defending effects the balance of the game. The fact that we now have invader mods might inspire more people to raid because as he/she (can't remember the gender of Wordy) said "mods are held in high regard".

I'm not saying that, but that's what I got from Wordy's post.

On the other hand, I've heard complaints that having former defenders be mods is a bad thing. It goes both ways here.

Reploid Productions wrote:
Ad Infinitum wrote:Sometimes I wish I was a forum moderator so I would have hundreds of blind followers to endorse me in whichever region I pleased.

Wait, that's in the contract? I can just waltz into a region, snap my fingers, and *POOF* I'll have hundreds of endorsements from my own personal brownnose brigade?

Quickly, my loyal legion! The Pacifics shall soon know the terror of Reppy and her Blind Followers! :twisted:

Loyal legion? Blind followers? Hey, are you guys out there? Seriously, quit hiding, this isn't funny. I wanna rule a feeder and that's YOUR job!

*listens to crickets*

Side note: Much as I'd love to call Sedge a raider/invader for this, when you don't use outside endorsements to gain the delegacy I really don't think it counts.
Elindra Kshrlmnt Dion Diablessa
Lady of Loquacity and Archempress of Unknown

Mistress of the lolcats, Secretary of NS Disney, Author of Ask Ellie, Victim of the illustrious Flag Thief, Member of PETI
She whose name can too be pronounced

Koth - Last Monday at 9:38 AM
I get sad when I offend elindra because I don't intend to yet I will do absolutely nothing to prevent it

-Echolilia-
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Echolilia- » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Oliver the Mediocre wrote:
Unibot II wrote:Do I think he's also tainted his defender legacy? Yes. Perhaps you don't understand how defenders think, because defenders like me, don't do what they do because "it's just fun", like a raider does-- we do it because it seems like the right thing to do. My dad used to say that when a person is driving at an intersection with no police or people around to watch, the moral test of a person is whether they stop at a stop sign or not anyways. Sedge slipped on the identity of Dev like the Ring of Gyges and did what he wanted to do instead of simply what he thought would make him look good for once, and that is what is unnerving, because some of us don't believe we would do as he would do just out of boredom or a sense of moral non-agency.

I bolded the really important phrase here, because the rest is you saying the same things you've always said to me in private and public anyway. I think if we were to take a cross-section of defenders out there, the list of "defenders like [you]" would actually be pretty short.
raises hand

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:44 am

To be honest, I think recent events will actually put players off of raiding, rather than somehow make it more attractive because a Moderator was involved.

Interesting how there was a balance of disapproval and approval of the event up until we found out Sedge was Devon.

I think it's the raiders that will suffer in the long run, not the defenders.

Total and utter backfire however you look at it.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Oliver the Mediocre
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Oliver the Mediocre » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:06 am

Lordieth wrote:To be honest, I think recent events will actually put players off of raiding, rather than somehow make it more attractive because a Moderator was involved.

Interesting how there was a balance of disapproval and approval of the event up until we found out Sedge was Devon.

I think it's the raiders that will suffer in the long run, not the defenders.

Total and utter backfire however you look at it.

:eyebrow: You seem to be under the assumption that Sedge's goal was to... increase raiding? Okaaay then...
Oliver Marlowe
Quote Love
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time."

Pyshoria
Attaché

Founded: Feb 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pyshoria » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:12 am

Todd McCloud wrote:This shouldn't be too shocking, especially in the outcome. Sedge gets another badge added to his trophy case at the expense of multiple people and organizations. He tries to become a raider and ruin the reputation of a few people at the same time, but he forgets a crucial element of raiding: loose lips sink ships.

Let this be a lesson to all aspiring game players, and any orgs that wish to retain or take him on.

Ah, the wonderful insights of a former griefer.

Lordieth wrote:I think it's the raiders that will suffer in the long run, not the defenders. Total and utter backfire however you look at it.

I believe otherwise. This surprise clearly makes defenders seem weaker than usual, and might just provide a morale boost to the raiders/griefers of NS. After all, the raiding community is probably alive with laughter at the moment.
-Pyshoria

What, did you expect me to have a whole plethora of achievements and bragging points?

Aquorona
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aquorona » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:23 am

Lordieth wrote:I think it's the raiders that will suffer in the long run, not the defenders. Total and utter backfire however you look at it.

I don't think it has anything to do with the raider or defender axis, since it wasn't an invasion, and rather an internal election/coup, in which the FRA decided to meddle in.

It lacks the essential elements of a raid: it was not claimed for a foreign power, or the invader himself; rather, elections were organized, allowing the people to express their views, in a desert region with an absent WAD who, therefore, wasn't available to listen to the natives.

The FRA intervention shows disrespect for the TSP sovereignty, and the will of the natives themselves, for they shouldn't have intervened in an internal affair.

On the point you have raised, though, the appearance of what happened is not necessarily coincidental to the objective facts that actually occurred.

People might perceive this as a defender gone invader, or they can just be sane and understand defending/invading had nothing to do with it.
Last edited by Aquorona on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pyshoria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Pyshoria » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:26 am

Aquorona wrote:
I don't think it has anything to do with the raider or defender axis, since it wasn't an invasion, and rather an internal election/coup, in which the FRA decided to meddle in.

It lacks the essential elements of a raid: it was not claimed for a foreign power, or the invader himself; rather, elections were organized, allowing the people to express their views, in a desert region with an absent WAD who, therefore, wasn't available to listen to the natives.

The FRA intervention shows disrespect for the TSP sovereignty, and the will of the natives themselves, for they shouldn't have intervened in an internal affair.

On the point you have raised, though, the appearance of what happened is not necessarily coincidental to the objective facts that actually occurred.

People might perceive this as a defender gone invader, or they can just be sane and understand defending/invading had nothing to do with it.

Oh, Sedge's actions count as an invasion all right, one shouldn't be mistaken. I do applaud your attempt to decrease the popularity of FRA, which already has dropped to an extreme degree, though. Quite well worded.
Last edited by Pyshoria on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Pyshoria

What, did you expect me to have a whole plethora of achievements and bragging points?

Aquorona
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Aquorona » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:05 am

Pyshoria wrote:
Aquorona wrote:

Oh, Sedge's actions count as an invasion all right, one shouldn't be mistaken. I do applaud your attempt to decrease the popularity of FRA, which already has dropped to an extreme degree, though. Quite well worded.

Would you care to identify which elements of his actions make it an invasion?

Because, as an invader, from the moment he took over, didn't claim it, and acted so nice having elections, I bawed because he wasn't an invader.

So yeah, can you at least present arguments to convince me, a raider, that what he did was an invasion?

Pyshoria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Pyshoria » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:08 am

Aquorona wrote:
Pyshoria wrote:

Because, as an invader, from the moment he took over, didn't claim it, and acted so nice having elections, I bawed because he wasn't an invader.

So yeah, can you at least present arguments to convince me, a raider, that what he did was an invasion?

Northern Chittowa has already clarified that on Page 2. Feel free to read said post.
Last edited by Pyshoria on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Pyshoria

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:13 am

And I also explained why it isn't an invasion. Go read back too :P

Aquorona
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Aquorona » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:53 am

Pyshoria wrote:
Aquorona wrote:

Northern Chittowa has already clarified that on Page 2. Feel free to read said post.

You too, since at the end he makes a disclaimer saying otherwise to your claim.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:41 pm

What difference does it make whether or not he is an invader? It's just a semantical argument that has no bearing on what actually happened.

Cerberion
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 22, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:08 pm

So I think the big question that I haven't seen asked (and I may have missed it) was the reasons why CG and Sedge gave up defending when they became moderators.

My instinct is that they did this because being an active defender and a moderator could be seen as a conflict of interests. There may be other reasons that I am unaware of (like they were just tired of defending).

I'd love to hear the back story on their decision making process.

I do have concerns that a defender mod or invader mod could unbalance the game (unless there was one on each side) because most players would probably see their Mod leader as invincible. I'm not saying that they would be right, but it's sure a big flag to rally behind.

I find it amusing that we can argue for days on whether this was a raid. I think that raid, coup, or invade are pretty much synonyms within the NS game, but perhaps their distinctions are only clear to raiders, invaders, or... coupers? Perhaps it's because invader is a lot easier to state than couper :P

Flemingovia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 22, 2003
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Flemingovia » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:11 pm

Crazy girl wrote:And I also explained why it isn't an invasion. Go read back too :P

In general if it smells of crap and looks like crap it is best not to taste it, because it probably is crap. Even if someone says it is only excrement.
IMPORTANT: Before reading this post please read the terms and conditions below. By accessing this post you signify your acceptance, full and in part, of those terms and conditions:

http://img808.imageshack.us/i/disclaimer.jpg/

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Cerberion wrote:So I think the big question that I haven't seen asked (and I may have missed it) was the reasons why CG and Sedge gave up defending when they became moderators.

My instinct is that they did this because being an active defender and a moderator could be seen as a conflict of interests. There may be other reasons that I am unaware of (like they were just tired of defending).

I do have concerns that a defender mod or invader mod could unbalance the game (unless there was one on each side) because most players would probably see their Mod leader as invincible. I'm not saying that they would be right, but it's sure a big flag to rally behind.

I find it amusing that we can argue for days on whether this was a raid. I think that raid, coup, or invade are pretty much synonyms within the NS game, but perhaps their distinctions are only clear to raiders, invaders, or... coupers? Perhaps it's because invader is a lot easier to state than couper :P

I doubt it would seriously unbalance the game. This isn't the pre-influence era of mod-conspiracy theories.
Last edited by The Murtunian Tribes on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oliver the Mediocre
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Oliver the Mediocre » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:46 pm

The Murtunian Tribes wrote:
Cerberion wrote:So I think the big question that I haven't seen asked (and I may have missed it) was the reasons why CG and Sedge gave up defending when they became moderators.

I doubt it would seriously unbalance the game. This isn't the pre-influence era of mod-conspiracy theories.

zOMG! lyk all teh modz are lyk, totally pro-fenda, n'stuff.

:roll:

Sorry, couldn't resist. There are still people who believe that crap.
Oliver Marlowe
Quote Love
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time."

Cerberion
Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Oliver the Mediocre wrote:
The Murtunian Tribes wrote:I doubt it would seriously unbalance the game. This isn't the pre-influence era of mod-conspiracy theories.

zOMG! lyk all teh modz are lyk, totally pro-fenda, n'stuff.

:roll:

Sorry, couldn't resist. There are still people who believe that crap.

I'm categorically stating that I don't believe that a mod would show preferrential treatment. There are however, a lot of gullible people that would think that one on their side might give them an edge.

There are a lot of new players who get into defending and raiding who have no concept of the game mechanics.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:22 pm

I cannot state with surity about their thought processes (And in nay case, I'm not sure I really want to see their thought processes :p ) but I can say that from a Mod prospective, we have to remain nutral. We can play the game, and we all do in one form or another, but as ourselves-as-Mods, we have to remain above any and all disbutes.

It's why there are now certain topics I do not respond to in General any more because I know I may be called on to settle something or another and cannot do that if it looks as if I am heavily for one side or another. Sedge and CG have, in my opinion, done a remarkable job in walking the line between the two camps and still have brought more life to this section of the game.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Cerberion
Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:58 pm

NERVUN wrote:Sedge and CG have, in my opinion, done a remarkable job in walking the line between the two camps and still have brought more life to this section of the game.

I believe that this was the case, but I think the line has been crossed in the eyes of many players.

I suspect that is why this event has caused so much uproar.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Cerberion wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Sedge and CG have, in my opinion, done a remarkable job in walking the line between the two camps and still have brought more life to this section of the game.

I believe that this was the case, but I think the line has been crossed in the eyes of many players.

I suspect that is why this event has caused so much uproar.

which is another reason that makes the whole thing a positive.

It is either this or anthony Weiner jokes.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

-Echolilia-
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Echolilia- » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Crazy girl wrote:And I also explained why it isn't an invasion. Go read back too :P

I find it almost impossible to believe you can't see that there are other ways of viewing things, but your repetition of this point makes me think I might achieve the impossible.

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:29 pm

And when they realized they miscalculated and had a defender organization deploying against them, they spited the head of the organization and the bill that passed to prevent their destabilization of the South Pacific. At what cost is activity not worth it anymore? When long standing regional cultures are overthrown at the whim of a kingmaker? When native forums are misplaced? When people are hurt?
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

The Peoples of Xaer
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Peoples of Xaer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Unibot II wrote:And when they realized they miscalculated and had a defender organization deploying against them, they spited the head of the organization and the bill that passed to prevent their destabilization of the South Pacific. At what cost is activity not worth it anymore? When long standing regional cultures are overthrown at the whim of a kingmaker? When native forums are misplaced? When people are hurt?

Oh noes, people playing POLITICS and POLITICAL INTRIGUE in a POLITICAL GAME. Honestly, did no one ever consider the possibility of double-agents, people with hidden agendas, and so on and so forth? Things that happen in real politics? For all any of you know, you could have spies deep undercover in any of your various raider/fenda/regional organizations, little timebombs just waiting for the perfect moment to strike and forward whatever their real goals are.

If people are 'hurt' by a double agent acting on his or her agenda, maybe they need to remind themselves that it's just a political game and not take it so personally. From the crying I see in here from so many people, you would think Sedge or Crazy Girl was caught in bed with all of your girlfriends/boyfriends/wives/husbands and not merely taking over a region in a dinky little browser webgame!

Tsim Sha Tsui
Attaché

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsim Sha Tsui » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:55 pm

How is betraying your theoretical allies, using your position in a (nominally) defender region to keep it neutral, and banjecting anyone that disagrees with you "walking the line"?
The Honourable Samuel Hung Kam Po, GSM
Ambassador to the World Assembly, Republic of Tsim Sha Tsui
The Republic of Tsim Sha Tsui
Chief Executive: Christopher Pang Ting Hong
President of the Legislative Council: Margaret Cheung Man Yuk
Secretary for Foreign Affairs: Jackson Chan Kong Sang
"Prosperity Through Freedom"

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Unibot II wrote:

And when they realized they miscalculated and had a defender organization deploying against them, they spited the head of the organization and the bill that passed to prevent their destabilization of the South Pacific. At what cost is activity not worth it anymore? When long standing regional cultures are overthrown at the whim of a kingmaker? When native forums are misplaced? When people are hurt?

So... you would rather us do what? Kill the whole raider/defender game? We can do that.

We could ask the techies to do any number of things that would make it impossible to actually conduct either a raid or a defence. You're missing the point Uni, we do not either condem or approve of what Sedge and CG did as players, just as we do not condem or approve other raiders/defenders as long as what is done is done according to the rules.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay