NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Repeal "Universal Standard Time Act"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Progresstan
Civilian

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Progresstan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:47 am

Whilst it's entirely possible for this repeal to pass - I'd like to outline my position against it:

- In an increasing era of globalisation, international trade and international diplomacy, removal of a standardised system of something as fundamental as time will wreak havoc on the international system - With the amount of countries in our world, each having no limit as to the amount of timezones they possess, there is a potentially infinite range of time measurements available if this resolution is repealed, which may lead to even greater difficulties if fundamental factors such as the length of a day are changed - Throwing out calendars.
- This will cause extreme difficulties in international trade, cross cultural exchange and the like - I mean, consider international travel?
- It is also extremely inefficient from a economic perspective, as any situation would require and extra level of "due diligence", simply to determine time differences.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a proposal that, as for the above reasons, amongst others, should be rejected, and the status quo upheld.

Kostemetsia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kostemetsia » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:17 am

The Commonwealth's delegation takes the floor to explain why it supports this repeal.

The original proposal contains this language:
FORMS the World Assembly Time Board (WATB), tasked with regulating UT around all nations to be synchronized within half a second (0.5 seconds or 500 milliseconds) of a master atomic clock started once this resolution is passed. The atomic precision master clock shall be kept to match a chosen observatory's time as defined below. It will use a second defined as 9,192,631,770 transitions between the two hyperfine ground states of a caesium-133 atom, thereby making the master clock an atomic clock.

Our first objection to the language of this paragraph is that it requires precise synchronisation. Let us now note that the planet of Kostemetsia, the capital of the Commonwealth, is approximately twenty thousand light years from Earth, on which the World Assembly Time Board's headquarters will presumably be. There is no form of faster-than-light communication, or ansible, known to us which can synchronise a clock on Kostemetsia to a clock on Earth within the required accuracy. This means that every time the clock on Kostemetsia drifts out of adequate synchronisation, it will require a three-week journey to Earth to be resynchronised.

Not only does this leave the Commonwealth without a WATB-standard indicator of WAUT for six weeks, thus causing costly confusion, it also deprives the Commonwealth of at least one ship. As some of you may be aware, the Commonwealth is a newly post-revolutionary state and minor player in the dangerous arena of interstellar politics, and is liable to need any or all of its warships at any given time, so a warship will not be used. This leaves the option of a freighter. A freighter will not be able to defend itself against, for example, anyone who might see the destruction of the Commonwealth's atomic clock as a useful opportunity to cause economic havoc. The same freighter could also be used to recoup many times over the lack of profit which the Commonwealth's economy is presumably experiencing in the absence of a universal time standard.

Parts of the objection above are logically applicable to the wider category of post-revolutionary states. Other parts of the objection are applicable to the wider category of spacefaring states. A significant number of states meet either or both of these criteria. By not repealing this resolution, the WA would be causing more damage to those states, and others that the Commonwealth has not considered, than a universal time standard would remedy.

Our second objection to the language of that paragraph is that it defines a second as '9,192,631,770 transitions between the two hyperfine ground states of a caesium-133 atom'. Clockwork was replaced by the atomic clock in 1949, and some new technological innovation may replace the atomic clock in a majority of states in some day yet to come. Binding states to a low-resolution standard when they have progressed beyond the atomic clock may also cause more damage than it remedies. This would be forgivable if it were not for this language in the terminating paragraph ...
Please note that the clock in question needs to be a caesium-133 atomic clock.

... binding states to lesser technologies than they necessarily own.

In summary, the side effects of enforcing the resolution will be significantly more inconvenient to a large number of states than the side effects of not having it at all. In the interests of those states, the Commonwealth casts its vote for this repeal.
The Commonwealth (FT)
factbook | embassies and trade | CAFRI: 69 (Excellent)
background music requests

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:16 am

Progresstan wrote:... With the amount of countries in our world, ...

There is a simple rule of thumb: The WA is not the UN, and NS is not "The Earth." Currently there are a plethora of worlds that lay claim to NS nations throughout the known "multiverse." While some of these extreemes can be safely ignored the basic argument is that you cannot simply confine your wordview to the world alone. (In fact, there is a daily issue about colonizing the moon ... that in and of itself ruins this resolution ... atomic clocks on the earth and moon will never remain in sync for long, gravity and variable velocities with respect to each other will screw that up almost immediately. Even having a nation of flying deligables ... as in Girl Genius ... causes problems.) I'm not going to even start the past/present/future tech paradox that already exists in the WA. (Queen Victoria, for example, finds the notion of having to buy a atomic clock absurd.)
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:48 am

In principle I wasn't really against the original idea, although UT took accuracy to the extremes here. What I particularly objected to was the fact that every nation had to have a redundant atomic clock - why? Two would be more than enough, every Nation have having one was grossly wasteful, and pretty inefficient. I voted against the original proposal, and I will be voting for this repeal.

Not everyone blindly votes yes to everything posted in the WA. I do think there are some people however who don't read the proposals, or just skim them.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Honorable Citizens
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Honorable Citizens » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:10 am

I don't understand how we passed the Universal Time Act the first time and then are going to repeal it a couple of days later. It's the same people voting, so how did this happen? I think becuase everyone wants to vote on the winning side, so when the first couple of thousand people voted for the repeal, everyone else jumped on that bandwagon. Do not be a hypocrite and vote for the repeal!

Change your vote to opposed!!
"Authenticity is rapidly becoming a euphemism for simple ignorance. Cain was authentic; Sarah Palin was authentic. Elitists---people who have actually studied complicated stuff and become experts at it---are phonies. Just ask Rush Limbaugh." ------Joe Klein for TIME

OBAMA 2012!

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:26 am

I love how all these people are saying, "everyone blindly voted for the original, so we should all vote blindly against the repeal!" Seriously? You don't see the flaw there?

Yes, people blindly voted for the original. That's all the more reason we should repeal it. The original is crap. We should make clear that crap resolutions are not tolerated here.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:48 am

Embolalia wrote:I love how all these people are saying, "everyone blindly voted for the original, so we should all vote blindly against the repeal!" Seriously? You don't see the flaw there?

Yes, people blindly voted for the original. That's all the more reason we should repeal it. The original is crap. We should make clear that crap resolutions are not tolerated here.

My actual addition to this: Please vote FOR this repeal! The less amount of terrible resolutions voted in by the lemmings, the better! This WA's a terrible resolution, and we are quite happy to support the repeal.

Ad/Spam: In addition, the next proposal to hit the floor will be one to get rid of ANOTHER lemming-passed resolution (OOC: link in sig). I am counting on your support!

Not Spam: But seriously, the Universal Standard Time Act has to go. It's by far one of the worst things that made it to a vote that I've seen.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:01 pm

Progresstan wrote:Whilst it's entirely possible for this repeal to pass - I'd like to outline my position against it:

- In an increasing era of globalisation, international trade and international diplomacy, removal of a standardised system of something as fundamental as time will wreak havoc on the international system - With the amount of countries in our world, each having no limit as to the amount of timezones they possess, there is a potentially infinite range of time measurements available if this resolution is repealed, which may lead to even greater difficulties if fundamental factors such as the length of a day are changed - Throwing out calendars.
- This will cause extreme difficulties in international trade, cross cultural exchange and the like - I mean, consider international travel?
- It is also extremely inefficient from a economic perspective, as any situation would require and extra level of "due diligence", simply to determine time differences.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a proposal that, as for the above reasons, amongst others, should be rejected, and the status quo upheld.

This repeal does not eliminate any international standards that were in effect before USTA passed, and it does not prevent nations from continuing to use the guidelines established in USTA in their nations, should they prefer to do so. It does remove the effects of the USTA from those nations who do not wish, for one reason or another, to abide by those provisions. This repeal returns the decision to the constituent nations of the WA.

Henrik Søgård
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:16 pm

I would like to thank the delegations who voted in favor of this resolution. I would also like to thank those who contributed to the debate here.

Henrik Søgård
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Krioval wrote:I would like to thank the delegations who voted in favor of this resolution. I would also like to thank those who contributed to the debate here.

*tosses confetti*

Your Excellency, it is my most fervent wish that all of your future repeal attempts (*cough* SCfGH *cough*) are as successful.

May your non-WA clocks always be on time and your international business dealings always bear fruit.

Cheers!
Last edited by Mousebumples on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:11 am

Well done ambassadors. Although we still need some coordinated time I never thought the WA needed to tap into such an issue. Okay, thanks, bye.

- Ms. S. Harper.

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:14 am

Nigel grumbles as he starts changing the time of his watch... "make up their damn minds... " then he yells "Does anybody really know what time it is?!?!?"
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Quadrimmina
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:56 am

Sorry I was late to the meeting, my new WA standard clock gave me the wrong time somehow?

Advisor whispers in ear
...Oh. What a goddamned waste of money... *smashes clock*

Nice job guys!
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:
GA#111 (Medical Research Ethics Act)
SC#28 (Commend Sionis Prioratus)
GA#197 (Banning Extrajudicial Transfer)

Co-authored:
GA#110 (Identity Theft Prevention Act)
GA#171 (Freedom in Medical Research)
GA#196 (Freedom of Information Act)

Honorable Citizens
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Honorable Citizens » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Vote opposed! People who are for this are hypocrites!
"Authenticity is rapidly becoming a euphemism for simple ignorance. Cain was authentic; Sarah Palin was authentic. Elitists---people who have actually studied complicated stuff and become experts at it---are phonies. Just ask Rush Limbaugh." ------Joe Klein for TIME

OBAMA 2012!

Leepaidamba
Minister

Founded: Sep 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Leepaidamba » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:24 pm

Honorable Citizens wrote:Vote opposed! People who are for this are hypocrites!

Or in our case, consistent. We're offered a sub-standard system of standardised time-keeping while we already had a great system already that had cost us far too much to have to throw it out.
And the vote's over too.
Factbook
Official name: the Grand Duchy of Leepaidamba
Short name: Amba
AKA: the Grand Duchy
Demonym: Leepaidamban/Amban
HoS: co-Grand Dukes David I and Anna I
HoG: Premier Jaap de Waal
Region: Nederland
Map by PB
FlagsNational animal: Rabit
National motto: "Paene est non." (Almost is not)
National anthem: " 't Lied der Vrijheid" (the Song of Freedom)
CapitalsCurrency: Amban Florin/Aƒ
Languages
Dependencies
No news

Schnubert
Attaché

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Schnubert » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:Sorry I was late to the meeting, my new WA standard clock gave me the wrong time somehow?

Advisor whispers in ear
...Oh. What a goddamned waste of money... *smashes clock*

Nice job guys!

That's impossible. Assuming this clock is subscribed to the time-keeping of an NIST-F1, the most accurate atomic clock available to man, it would not keep time on a rhythm, but instead uses two counter-propagating lasers that cool and trap gas of caesium atoms (since 1967, the scientific definition of one second is the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom). Once trapped, two vertical lasers propel the atoms upward inside a microwave chamber. Depending on the exact frequency of the microwaves, the cesium atoms will reach an excited state. Upon passing through a laser beam, the atoms will fluoresce (emit photons). The microwave frequency which produces maximum fluorescence is used to define the second. The clocks uncertainty is 5 x 10-16.
Your clock would not give or take a second in 60 million years, and would keep the time no matter where you were in the Universe.
So either:
a. You have had that clock for 60 million years, and your clock is off by a second (which is a pretty petty thing to complain about).
b. The clock you have been issued has had the time drawn onto it with marker.
c. You can't read numbers.
Unless you have any other theories, I'm going to suggest it's a, b, or c.
Last edited by Schnubert on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Join Good Nutrition for free milk and cookies!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives