NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Numismatics Appreciation Act (Edited)

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rezaxushan
Attaché

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: AT VOTE: Numismatics Appreciation Act (Edited)

Postby Rezaxushan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:46 pm

Altani WA Mission wrote:Why can't nations spend their own money to educate citizens on their history, not the WA's? I fail to see why Altani money contributed to this entity should go to such a purpose. We educate on our own history just fine, and don't see the reason for a WA dole for historians - especially on something as narrow in scope as currency.

Are we to begin funding WA bureaucracies for every hobby now? We're basically subsidizing coin collectors and fetishists here - why not stamp collectors? Action figure collectors? Collectors of old bottles? Those have some vague cultural value also, right?

With all the useful things the WA could be doing, between the SC resolutions and fluff like this, this body seems to be engaging in a wasteful and shamefully frivolous use of its powers.

Utterly opposed.

-Irina Misheli, Ambassador

Well, I think this has a general, altruistic value. Let's say, for example, a nation is bereft with crime. So bereft, so intoxicated, that the nation is forced to allocate most of its money to Defense and Policing; not Education. This creates a self-fulfilling prophecy in that, low expenditures on education contribute to the crime that is constantly battled. This Act could aid the educational systems of said nations by providing funds for the creations of these museums, where History would be taught, through the use of currency.

I don't know. It may be considered frivolous to some, but to those nations with faltering educational systems, it's key. That's why my vote is on the support column.

Hawkryl
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hawkryl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:53 pm

Rezaxushan wrote:
Altani WA Mission wrote:Why can't nations spend their own money to educate citizens on their history, not the WA's? I fail to see why Altani money contributed to this entity should go to such a purpose. We educate on our own history just fine, and don't see the reason for a WA dole for historians - especially on something as narrow in scope as currency.

Are we to begin funding WA bureaucracies for every hobby now? We're basically subsidizing coin collectors and fetishists here - why not stamp collectors? Action figure collectors? Collectors of old bottles? Those have some vague cultural value also, right?

With all the useful things the WA could be doing, between the SC resolutions and fluff like this, this body seems to be engaging in a wasteful and shamefully frivolous use of its powers.

Utterly opposed.

Well, I think this has a general, altruistic value. Let's say, for example, a nation is bereft with crime. So bereft, so intoxicated, that the nation is forced to allocate most of its money to Defense and Policing; not Education. This creates a self-fulfilling prophecy in that, low expenditures on education contribute to the crime that is constantly battled. This Act could aid the educational systems of said nations by providing funds for the creations of these museums, where History would be taught, through the use of currency.

I don't know. It may be considered frivolous to some, but to those nations with faltering educational systems, it's key. That's why my vote is on the support column.

I don't see how Increasing your nations knowledge about your own money would lower crime.
710000 in the Wolves.
355000 in the Sharks.
213000 in the Raptors.
142000 in the Wolverines.
142000000 in the Armed Forces.

pop: 142,000,000
Economic strength: Very Strong
GDP: S$15,361.95
Tax rate: 45%

Rezaxushan
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Rezaxushan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Hawkryl wrote:
Rezaxushan wrote:

Utterly opposed.

I don't see how Increasing your nations knowledge about your own money would lower crime.

lol

Umm, when did I say that? What I said was that nations who spend money only on Defense and Policing don't have enough for Education. This could help the nation's Educational system by at least enhancing Social Science coverage.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:06 pm

This resolution appears to be a well-written piece of legislation that should increase the cultural understanding of the World Assembly and does not put improper onerous requirements on its member states. Any reduction in counterfeit currency distribution would be a side benefit.

Goobergunchia votes in favor.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian UN Ambassador
Resident, the Rejected Realms
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

James Bluntus
Envoy

Founded: Dec 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby James Bluntus » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:23 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Well I never expected the first one to generate much interest anyway, but now that I know a few were actually looking into it, I'll post it here for advice and then actually submit it.

Council: General Assembly

Category: Education and Creativity

Resolution Name: Numismatics Appreciation Act

Effect: Cultural Heritage

APPLAUDING the attempt by many nations to preserve and promote their cultural heritage,

NOTING that the cultural heritage of a nation may span a wide range of topics,

RECOGNIZING a nation's currency in both coin and paper form are a monumental part of the history of a nation,

DEFINING a coin as a form of currency that is often metallic,

ALSO DEFINING a banknote as a form of currency that is often made from paper or paper-like materials,

1. Establishes the World Assembly Numismatics Authority (WANA) in the effort to educate the general public about the value of their nation's currency,

2. Dictates WANA shall be funded by the World Assembly General Fund and through donations made by willing nations and individuals,

3. Charges WANA with the duties of:

a) collecting samples of nations' currency through donations of money and/or actual currency and displaying them in museums accessible to the public of an individual nation,

b) holding seminars in willing nations about the appreciation, collection and preservation of currency for a nation's public to enjoy,

c) preserving the samples collected as best to the organization's ability so they may be appreciated by future generation,

4. Demands in one way or another that each World Assembly member nation preserve certain editions of its coins and banknotes, and urges that participation in WANA could help each nation meet this requirement.

EDIT-- Scroll down for current version.

I ask this. How am I supposed to enforce this when my currency is the voucher.
The Singing Nation of James Bluntus lives to fight alongside good and fight against evil.

Rezaxushan
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Rezaxushan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:50 pm

James Bluntus wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Well I never expected the first one to generate much interest anyway, but now that I know a few were actually looking into it, I'll post it here for advice and then actually submit it.

Council: General Assembly

Category: Education and Creativity

Resolution Name: Numismatics Appreciation Act

Effect: Cultural Heritage

APPLAUDING the attempt by many nations to preserve and promote their cultural heritage,

NOTING that the cultural heritage of a nation may span a wide range of topics,

RECOGNIZING a nation's currency in both coin and paper form are a monumental part of the history of a nation,

DEFINING a coin as a form of currency that is often metallic,

ALSO DEFINING a banknote as a form of currency that is often made from paper or paper-like materials,

1. Establishes the World Assembly Numismatics Authority (WANA) in the effort to educate the general public about the value of their nation's currency,

2. Dictates WANA shall be funded by the World Assembly General Fund and through donations made by willing nations and individuals,

3. Charges WANA with the duties of:

a) collecting samples of nations' currency through donations of money and/or actual currency and displaying them in museums accessible to the public of an individual nation,

b) holding seminars in willing nations about the appreciation, collection and preservation of currency for a nation's public to enjoy,

c) preserving the samples collected as best to the organization's ability so they may be appreciated by future generation,

4. Demands in one way or another that each World Assembly member nation preserve certain editions of its coins and banknotes, and urges that participation in WANA could help each nation meet this requirement.

EDIT-- Scroll down for current version.

Has it always been a voucher?

Floricia
Civilian

Founded: Aug 13, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Floricia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:05 am

After much deliberation, the Cultural Oasis of Floricia votes for this proposal, with the hopes that it opens up the possibility for more culture-related resolutions.

Kimber Owens, Florician Ambassador to the World Assembly
Ezekiel Rockwell, Secretary of Historical Interests
Jasmine Cumberland, Secretary of Commerce and Economic Interests

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:48 am

James Bluntus wrote:

Why would an example of your voucher not be eligible, or not as worthy as any other means of exchange? Some ancient societies used carved stones with a hole in them, many modern societies use electronic means through cards and chips. An example of your voucher would be a worthwhile addition.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Rezaxushan
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Rezaxushan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:54 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
James Bluntus wrote:

Why would an example of your voucher not be eligible, or not as worthy as any other means of exchange? Some ancient societies used carved stones with a hole in them, many modern societies use electronic means through cards and chips. An example of your voucher would be a worthwhile addition.

I do see where he's getting at, though. Vouchers aren't currency per se...
Last edited by Rezaxushan on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:22 am

Rezaxushan wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:
James Bluntus wrote:

I do see where he's getting at, though. Vouchers aren't currency per se...
They are a means of exchange, though, and when it come down to it, what is currency? A means of exchange used to acquire goods and services. There is not as much differance as folk would think.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Not Ta'veren

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:51 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
James Bluntus wrote:

Simply put, honoured ambassador, anything that has value guaranteed by the state or tribe is currency and will be supported.

Stargate Fans
Civilian

Founded: Jun 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Stargate Fans » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:47 am

Do you guys not realize this would create a global monetary system? What are the implications for this generating huge inflationary bubbles of expanded credit as 'bank notes' and the like are traded internationally at certain prices and levels? This is just the foundation for more destructive World Bank organizations.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:06 am

I do not see the likelihood of this resolution creating a global monetary system as it focuses on the heritage and history of currency and the weird and the wonderful as a hobby rather than the serious business of it, honoured ambassador to Stargate Fans.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:34 am

Stargate Fans wrote:Do you guys not realize this would create a global monetary system? What are the implications for this generating huge inflationary bubbles of expanded credit as 'bank notes' and the like are traded internationally at certain prices and levels? This is just the foundation for more destructive World Bank organizations.

Do you not understand the distinction between "numismatics" and "economics"?

Main Entry: nu·mis·mat·ics
Pronunciation: \-tiks\
Function: noun plural but singular in construction
Date: circa 1828
: the study or collection of coins, tokens, and paper money and sometimes related objects (as medals)

— nu·mis·ma·tist \nü-ˈmiz-mə-tist, nyü-\ noun

Please explain how this is a steppingstone to a global monetary system or a world banking system.

Not Ta'veren

Aundotutunagir
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 22, 2008
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Aundotutunagir » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:56 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Stargate Fans wrote:Do you guys not realize this would create a global monetary system? What are the implications for this generating huge inflationary bubbles of expanded credit as 'bank notes' and the like are traded internationally at certain prices and levels? This is just the foundation for more destructive World Bank organizations.

Do you not understand the distinction between "numismatics" and "economics"?

Main Entry: nu·mis·mat·ics
Pronunciation: \-tiks\
Function: noun plural but singular in construction
Date: circa 1828
: the study or collection of coins, tokens, and paper money and sometimes related objects (as medals)

— nu·mis·ma·tist \nü-ˈmiz-mə-tist, nyü-\ noun

Please explain how this is a steppingstone to a global monetary system or a world banking system.

I think he meant this bit:

4. Obligates each World Assembly member nation to regulate the buying and selling of coins and banknotes; urging nations to adopt rules such as:

a) issuing fair taxation of sales in formal auctions and licensed currency dealers’ shops,
b) creating a license system for those who wish to formally sell currency,

Basically that's calling for regulation of the foreign exchange market.
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador
The People of Aundotutunagir

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:00 am

I read it more as a safeguard for the consumer/collector against those who try and pass off counterfeits and reproductions as genuine collectables.

Not Ta'veren

Koumpounophobia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Koumpounophobia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:03 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
James Bluntus wrote:

My nation uses the simple black button. As long as the display is properly marked, any currency should work fine.

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:15 am

Altani WA Mission wrote:...Are we to begin funding WA bureaucracies for every hobby now?...

<hold up glass of wild Turkey rare breed as a toast>
Here, here, my dear Irinia! I've any number of unsavory and unwholesome hobbies, and apart from offering to sell my vote to the highest bidder in the festering Sankepit, I see no need to ask for WA funding. Besides, once I ask for funding, the sneaky bastard gnomes will try to regulate my unwholesomeness. So I say to my fellow denizens of the festering snakepit, find another way to gfund your hobbies. The Palentine shall vote against.
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Aundotutunagir
Bureaucrat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Aundotutunagir » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:21 am

Grays Harbor wrote:I read it more as a safeguard for the consumer/collector against those who try and pass off counterfeits and reproductions as genuine collectables.

"regulate the buying and selling of coins and banknotes"

Would seem to be calling for regulation of the foreign exchange market.

I would also note that this part:

issuing fair taxation of sales in formal auctions

Could be interpreted as a nascent attempt to lay the groundwork for a tobin tax.

It's very important to use precise language when dealing with matters involving currency. It's easy to go from talking about collectibles to talking about currency in general without even realizing you have done so.
Last edited by Aundotutunagir on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:55 am

Numismatics is different to Bureau de Change, honoured ambassador to Aundotutunagir. In Numismatics people actually love money for its beauty and design whilst over at the Bureau de Change they just sell and buy money as they come in.

I also note that some Numismatists may find the local Bureau de Change just as helpful when new-style notes come out and they can buy it at face value.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:57 am

OOC: Damn, he caught me. :roll:
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Aundotutunagir
Bureaucrat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Aundotutunagir » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:09 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Numismatics is different to Bureau de Change

I understand that, but the law does what the law says it does. And this one says:

4. Obligates each World Assembly member nation to regulate the buying and selling of coins and banknotes; urging nations to adopt rules such as:

a) issuing fair taxation of sales in formal auctions and licensed currency dealers’ shops,

It doesn't specify that it only covers collectible currency. The way it is written it covers all currency, even currency traded on the foreign exchange market. This would cover not only collectible dealers but market traders as well.
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador

Hawkryl
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hawkryl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:18 am

Aundotutunagir wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Numismatics is different to Bureau de Change

I understand that, but the law does what the law says it does. And this one says:

It doesn't specify that it only covers collectible currency. The way it is written it covers all currency, even currency traded on the foreign exchange market. This would cover not only collectible dealers but market traders as well.

If you use the barter system then potentially everything in your nation would have to be regulated by the WA.

You need a opt out clause if you ask me.
710000 in the Wolves.
355000 in the Sharks.
213000 in the Raptors.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:26 am

Aundotutunagir wrote:It doesn't specify that it only covers collectible currency. The way it is written it covers all currency, even currency traded on the foreign exchange market. This would cover not only collectible dealers but market traders as well.

Kind sir, could you explain to me why or how one would be able to buy currency that wasn't intended for collection purposes?
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Hawkryl
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hawkryl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:32 am

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Aundotutunagir wrote:It doesn't specify that it only covers collectible currency. The way it is written it covers all currency, even currency traded on the foreign exchange market. This would cover not only collectible dealers but market traders as well.

Kind sir, could you explain to me why or how one would be able to buy currency that wasn't intended for collection purposes?

It's called a job, you're buying money with your time.

And most people use that money.
Last edited by Hawkryl on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
710000 in the Wolves.
355000 in the Sharks.
213000 in the Raptors.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads