NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Numismatics Appreciation Act (Edited)

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Re: SUBMITTED: Numismatics Appreciation Act (Edited)

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:01 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:I am starting to recall why I stopped posting on the forums 5 years ago.

Keep snapping unnecessarily at people for offering tips on forum conventions, and you very well may be forced into re-exile, because everyone's placed you on ignore.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: IN QUEUE: Numismatics Appreciation Act (Edited)

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:53 pm

Once again, thank you for your continued support, esteemed delegates for this resolution is now in the queue.

Sincerely,

Stephen Jims
Ambassador
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:09 pm

We plan to vote for this when it reaches the floor, ambassador.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Spredronia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Spredronia » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:07 am

It's no longer in queue, it's being voted on currently.

Anyways, we support it becuase it stores history, even though it's money we're conserving. We will be willing to donate 5000 credits worth of banknotes and coins for preservation.
(.-:-[_____]-:-) = PSP
([______])
(-:- . . -:-) PSPGo!
Taken from the Playstation.com forums. Please don't hurt me. If you want me to remove them, just say so.
Epic Thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59092
Member of the CoNS
If Twilight came to life, 50% of the world would scream in joy. The other 48% would kill themselves. If you are one of the 1% who would grab a shotty and fight to the end, C+P. Yes, it's copied, no, I don't care.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:46 am

The Kingdom fully intends to support this resolution.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Re: ON FLOOR: Numismatics Appreciation Act (Edited)

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:02 am

I like it, honoured ambassador to Buffett and Colbert. I really like it.

OOC: And the player collects paper money too!

Nenanaw
Civilian

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nenanaw » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:09 am

How would it be clearly delineated and guaranteed that His Most Serene Leader exhibits be listed/viewed/worshiped first?

By HIS mercy

pogo

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:18 am

Nenanaw wrote:How would it be clearly delineated and guaranteed that His Most Serene Leader exhibits be listed/viewed/worshiped first?

By HIS mercy

pogo

very large bribes to the museum curator would be a good place to start. but since he is an honest bloke, that probably won't work.

So, It seems you'll just have to take your place in the exhibit queue with all other nations. :p

Not Ta'veren

Late night naps (Ancient)
Civilian

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Late night naps (Ancient) » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:13 pm

Is this something that is so important that it really calls for another agency to be created? (WANA) Also, how many employees will this "authority" have and what of its budget? Anybody think this would be a bit fiscally irresponsible?

Why not delegate the tasks to other agencies?

I notice the language for issue #4. Would nations be punished for not adopting those rules?

Aundotutunagir
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 22, 2008
Psychotic Dictatorship

Re: AT VOTE: Numismatics Appreciation Act (Edited)

Postby Aundotutunagir » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:33 pm

An Aundotutunagirian officer approaches the podium and speaks.

"Good afternoon. I am General Saendetung Ornithelugor, acting WA Ambassador. Before addressing my government's concerns about the resolution at vote I'd like to make a brief statement regarding our permanent WA ambassador, Hiriaurtung Arororugul."

"About a week ago, General Arororugul returned home from the World Assembly on normal business. During the course of a scheduled meeting with the Committee For People's Democratic Optimization, he began speaking of something he referred to as "The Security Council". General Arororugul mentioned this "security council" several times and indicated that he believed it to be a newly-formed chamber of the World Assembly. He proceeded to go into great detail about "regions", "passwords", "C&Cs", "WFEs" and "liberation proposals". Naturally the members of the committee failed to make heads or tails of anything he said regarding these matters."

"He then described, in even greater detail, how during a debate on something called "Nazism" he used a giant swastika to set fire to the chamber of this "security council", which was then flooded by an unstoppable sprinkler system. He went on to describe how he navigated the flooded chamber in a submarine while smoking opium with the Urgenchi ambassador."

"General Arororugul is recovering and is resting comfortably at his home in Golthaindroror. He has been placed on administrative leave, but will be returning to his post here at the World Assembly as soon as his health permits. I spoke to him by phone just this morning and he seemed to be in good spirits and said he looked forward to returning to work. He made no mention of the imaginary "security council", which I take as a good sign."

"Now then, as to the resolution at vote, the People of Aundotutunagir oppose this! We thirst for the blood of those who have submitted this abominable and worthless proposal. All currency in Aundotutunagir has been confiscated and replaced by a system of merits and demerits which are tracked electronically. It is a crime punishable by death to hoard or attempt to spend our old currency, the Söm Áltın. We cannot abide a WA resolution which encourages our citizens to commit a capital offense by collecting our former currency."

"Well, I believe that is all for now. Thank you, and good day."

Saendetung Ornithelugor
Acting WA Ambassador
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador
The People of Aundotutunagir

Koumpounophobia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Koumpounophobia » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Aundotutunagir wrote:"Now then, as to the resolution at vote, the People of Aundotutunagir oppose this! We thirst for the blood of those who have submitted this abominable and worthless proposal. All currency in Aundotutunagir has been confiscated and replaced by a system of merits and demerits which are tracked electronically. It is a crime punishable by death to hoard or attempt to spend our old currency, the Söm Áltın. We cannot abide a WA resolution which encourages our citizens to commit a capital offense by collecting our former currency."

I actually understand where our esteemed peer is coming from. I read somewhere, however, that joining this is entirely volunteer.

Aundotutunagir
Bureaucrat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Aundotutunagir » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Koumpounophobia wrote:
Aundotutunagir wrote:"Now then, as to the resolution at vote, the People of Aundotutunagir oppose this! We thirst for the blood of those who have submitted this abominable and worthless proposal. All currency in Aundotutunagir has been confiscated and replaced by a system of merits and demerits which are tracked electronically. It is a crime punishable by death to hoard or attempt to spend our old currency, the Söm Áltın. We cannot abide a WA resolution which encourages our citizens to commit a capital offense by collecting our former currency."

I actually understand where our esteemed peer is coming from. I read somewhere, however, that joining this is entirely volunteer.

Yes but the People of Aundotutunagir will read it and be incited to collect coins, thinking "well, the WA is encouraging it so it must be OK". Then we will have to execute them by skinning them alive in the public square since that is the prescribed punishment for coin-collecting in Aundotutunagir. Does the WA really want that on its conscience?

Saendetung Ornithelugor
Acting WA Ambassador
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:46 pm

We found this act to have good intentions when it was in draft form. We find it still does and have voted in favour of.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Koumpounophobia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Koumpounophobia » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:49 pm

Meekinos wrote:We found this act to have good intentions when it was in draft form. We find it still does and have voted in favour of.

If others have problems with this resolution, that's for them to sort out. I am going to vote for it.

Kaesekartoffeln
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaesekartoffeln » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:57 pm

The Republic of Kaesekartoffeln has voted against the resolution because we find this to be a poor use of the World Assembly General Fund, do not want an international agency meddling in the buying, selling, and collecting of coins and other currency, and believe very few people will attend museums dedicated solely to money.
"Whenever I see any one arguing for communism I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally"-Abraham Lincoln, quote updated for 21st century NS.
Great Myths of the Great Depression
UCLA Study on New Deal

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:06 pm

Kaesekartoffeln wrote:The Republic of Kaesekartoffeln has voted against the resolution because we find this to be a poor use of the World Assembly General Fund, do not want an international agency meddling in the buying, selling, and collecting of coins and other currency, and believe very few people will attend museums dedicated solely to money.

and you would be wrong.

Not Ta'veren

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:09 pm

The Great Chiefdom votes in favor, primarily because we value cultural artifacts, but also because we enjoy annoying those nations who do not.

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Great Chiefdom of Krioval

Qumkent
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Qumkent » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Aundotutunagir wrote:Snip

Mongkha looks surprised to hear of General Arororugul's mental collapse, he had been in seeminlgy excellent form when last they met.

He wanders over to the desk of the Aundotutunagirian delegation and bows his head slightly to the acting Ambassador, "How do you do your Excellency ? How goes it in Golthaindroror ? Please convey my sincerest wishes for the swift recovery of the Noble General Arororugul wont you? This Numismatics nonsense is positively infuriating is it not ? Is the WA to start spending vast sums on Bird Fancying next?"
Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador to the World Assembly for the Autonomous Principality of Qumkent, a constituent state of the Confederated Sublime Khanate of Urgench

Learn more about the CSKU here - http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Urgench

Aundotutunagir
Bureaucrat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Aundotutunagir » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Qumkent wrote:

Mongkha looks surprised to hear of General Arororugul's mental collapse, he had been in seeminlgy excellent form when last they met.

He wanders over to the desk of the Aundotutunagirian delegation and bows his head slightly to the acting Ambassador, "How do you do your Excellency ? How goes it in Golthaindroror ? Please convey my sincerest wishes for the swift recovery of the Noble General Arororugul wont you? This Numismatics nonsense is positively infuriating is it not ? Is the WA to start spending vast sums on Bird Fancying next?"

General Ornithelugor greets the elderly Khan, bows, and lowers his voice to a whisper to converse with him.

"Khan of Kashgar, it is good to finally meet you. I believe we may be distant cousins. I am part Urgenchi on my mother's side. Her grandparents came from Herat. I'm not supposed to know my ancestry of course, but..well...being a General has its privileges.

General Arororugul specifically asked me to convey a message to you. I hesitated at first because I feared it might be more of that "security council" and submarines business, but I've known him since the Academy and consider him a close friend. The message is this: he still wants to meet at your estates in Bactria to ride horses and live on the steppe. He says there is a matter of some urgency he needs to discuss with you and that you will know what it is. I apologize if you know nothing of this matter. It may only be more of that "security council" and flooded buildings nonsense, but he seemed lucid at the time and it was obviously of great importance to him.

You haven't, by any chance, partaken of opium recently with Hiriaurtung have you? He is known to lace his opium with hallucinogens and I fear this may have something to do with his fanciful tales about goings on here.

As for this numismatics proposal before us I am mystified by it and agree with your assessment. It is good that Aundotutunagir has a proxy to represent us in this mad Assembly."
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:35 pm

Qumkent wrote:

Maybe Sir Albert of Bahgum could be persuaded to resurrect his proposal about Trouser Ferreting.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

AeriLeigh
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby AeriLeigh » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:36 pm

This would be a great way to open the object of trade.
However, how could nations compare their currency's value with each other?

Esperantolando
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Esperantolando » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:50 pm

I think this is a huge waste of money.

See Esperantolando on the NationStates Wiki

Rezaxushan
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Rezaxushan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:01 pm

Esperantolando wrote:I think this is a huge waste of money.

So educating citizens on their history is waste of money? I think, it would be an interesting way to stimulate people's thirst for history. I mean, you could see how our collective nations currency evolved due to events. Perhaps, in your history, you underwent a military coup. The incoming Military Junta could have an egomaniac who places his face on everything. Perhaps, a student could ask a tour guide, "Oh, why is this person's face on everything?" The guide within the museum could then take the time to explain to the student everything about the period of history when the Junta happened. I think History is not a waste of money.

Altani WA Mission
Secretary

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Altani WA Mission » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:36 pm

Why can't nations spend their own money to educate citizens on their history, not the WA's? I fail to see why Altani money contributed to this entity should go to such a purpose. We educate on our own history just fine, and don't see the reason for a WA dole for historians - especially on something as narrow in scope as currency.

Are we to begin funding WA bureaucracies for every hobby now? We're basically subsidizing coin collectors and fetishists here - why not stamp collectors? Action figure collectors? Collectors of old bottles? Those have some vague cultural value also, right?

With all the useful things the WA could be doing, between the SC resolutions and fluff like this, this body seems to be engaging in a wasteful and shamefully frivolous use of its powers.

Utterly opposed.

-Irina Misheli, Ambassador
The WA Mission of the Altani Federation
Honor above all else!

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:38 pm

AeriLeigh wrote:This would be a great way to open the object of trade.
However, how could nations compare their currency's value with each other?

NS Economy Calculator which tells you, among other things, the current value of your currency. For example, the GH Crown is currently exchanging at 1 Crown = $1.5504

Not Ta'veren

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives