NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend Tiago Silva

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

[PASSED] Commend Tiago Silva

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:28 am

Image Commend Tiago Silva
A resolution to recognize outstanding contribution by a nation or region.

Category: Commendation | Nominee: Tiago Silva | Proposed by: The Terran Technate

Description: RECOGNIZING the new state of the flags of the world, being easier to fly and sewn with much more vivid detail,

SEEING The Philosophic Dominion of Tiago Silva as the nation that performed this brave undertaking,

HONORING the contribution of materials and effort from the nation,

HEREBY commends The Philosophic Dominion of Tiago Silva.

Relevant news item:

The Flags, They Are So Pretty
by Max Barry
Mon, 03 Jan 2011

Notice our inbuilt flags are looking swankier? No? I guess they are pretty small. But go on, scroll through a few on your Settings page. Those puppies are smooth. It's thanks to the fine nation of Tiago Silva, who bravely volunteered to recast them all from blocky JPEGs to silky PNGs. And update the list, because the number of real-life countries that are founded and cease to exist year to year, you would not believe. It's like NationStates out there.

If you have an old-style flag, you can continue to use it, but these are no longer available to be chosen from the drop-down Flag menu in your Settings.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

LeddZepp
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby LeddZepp » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:40 am

I don't see why not, added recognition for Tiago Silva and their heroic efforts.
D

I

O

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:49 am

Voted FOR.

Nice job, Tiago Silva
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:45 am

"Hr'rmm? We didn't receive any new copies of our flag from them..."
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:04 pm

"Any contact info for this nation's flag services, perchance?" asked Lionel Ersthauer, who had been in the Security Council offices for the past several days keeping watch over the Kalasparata condemnation.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:32 pm

Frenequesta wrote:"Any contact info for this nation's flag services, perchance?" asked Lionel Ersthauer, who had been in the Security Council offices for the past several days keeping watch over the Kalasparata condemnation.

He doesn't have a flag-making thread - the proposal is about this.

Frattastan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:21 pm

Against.
I don't believe his actions, however "brave", deserve a commendation.
It's not even a well-written resolution.
Last edited by Frattastan on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
San Francisco Bay Area (forum) | Founderless Regions Alliance (FRA) | Rejected Realms Army (RRA)

Drop Your Pants wrote:I think raiders are cute, the way they think they're big and scary people who threaten others :)

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Thought he ran a flag thread too. Damn Rule IV, the SC is so useless...
AKA Weed

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:35 pm

Topid wrote:Thought he ran a flag thread too. Damn Rule IV, the SC is so useless...

I don't see how you can claim that Rule 4 has made the SC useless when you've authored Condemn Unknown and Liberate Eastern Europe since Rule 4 was introduced, both of which make complete sense whether read OOCly or ICly.

The problem with this proposal is that it is badly authored, not that Rule 4 has made it hard to write. As you can see here, the earlier non-Rule 4 compliant version was of a similar quality.

Blaanis
Civilian

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blaanis » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:59 pm

Temporary International Minister Tenchu Vei stands, eyes twitching violently.

Have any of you actually done any research into this country, before commending it? Obviously not...Ninety-nine percent income taxes? Madness! Absolute madness, encouraged by a government that has no care for the finances of their people. The private sector is composed of...Lemonade stands?! Look at this folder, and tell me, that this is the standard we wish to expect of WA nations. Yes, The Philosophic Dominion of Tiago Silva has done us all a favour, but this administrative process has been officially recognized, already, as the Secretariat's memo has been, by now, fully circulated...And I, for one, find my nation's tax rate too high as is, and will not take such foolish measures as a role-model for my own people.

Sitting down, he motions for his secretary to start handing out copies of the folder. She simply sends out a chain email, informing members of the WA to check their backlog news memos.

Retwinsore
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Retwinsore » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:13 pm

Queen Q'ara folds her hands on her lap and side glances at Minister Tenchu Vei before addresing eveyone else. "I don't have anything against The Philosophic Dominion of Tiago Silva, though the way the country is run isn't how I would do so. Let's commend The Philosophic Dominion of Tiago Silva. I for one, like my pretty new flags."
Last edited by Retwinsore on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Corrinthas
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Corrinthas » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:20 pm

International Affairs Minister Ludwin Gage of the Corrinthian Royal Family gives a pause, crossing his arms in thought before speaking.

"I believe that the core of the approval to the Tiago Silva should be it's contribution to the international community as a whole. This is, after all the dominion of the Security Council no? A widespread choice of materials that allow our national banners to be more unique, and slick to the rulers who choose to use them is a far cry from tattered sheets made with magic markers. Not only does this show an inventive mind, but also assists in renewing the symbolisms and identities these flags are meant to propose. Hence why I shall approve of the nation's efforts."

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:27 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
Topid wrote:Thought he ran a flag thread too. Damn Rule IV, the SC is so useless...

I don't see how you can claim that Rule 4 has made the SC useless when you've authored Condemn Unknown and Liberate Eastern Europe since Rule 4 was introduced, both of which make complete sense whether read OOCly or ICly.

The problem with this proposal is that it is badly authored, not that Rule 4 has made it hard to write. As you can see here, the earlier non-Rule 4 compliant version was of a similar quality.

Condemn Unknown sounds awkward, and LEE wasn't Rule IV compliant, that just applied to C&Cs then I'm pretty sure.

But neither of those matter. The SC is useless if it can only be used in some cases. These random little instances where the rules don't fit continue to demonstrate how the SC is a waste of time. It was great because we were all included. Now most of us players are out, and there's no point.
AKA Weed

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:30 pm

"Ladies and gentlemen of the Security Council, for some time now a Draft has been on the floor regarding this same proposal. As the author, but also from a neutral standpoint, I believe it is superior to that currently at vote."
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Topid wrote:Condemn Unknown sounds awkward, and LEE wasn't Rule IV compliant, that just applied to C&Cs then I'm pretty sure.

It doesn't sound awkward to me, and Rule 4 does apply to Liberations - and LEE is Rule 4 compliant.

But neither of those matter. The SC is useless if it can only be used in some cases. These random little instances where the rules don't fit continue to demonstrate how the SC is a waste of time. It was great because we were all included. Now most of us players are out, and there's no point.

The only real situation where SC resolutions are hard to write well is when C&Cing Generalites. In all other situations, authors haven't had a problem ensuring that resolutions are both understandable and Rule 4 compliant. If you had a look at some of the GP resolutions passed since (eg Liberate Greece, Commend 10KI, Commend Ananke), you'd see that there's absolutely no problem with passing Rule 4 compliant resolutions for gameplay situations (which I think I'm right in thinking is what you're worried about).

Retwinsore - could you have a look at this part of the One Stop Rules Shop:
OSRS wrote:Garish Posts: We like fonts and colors, really we do, but anything used in excess becomes annoying. Think twice about posts that make other users cringe... especially if you've been repeatedly asked to refrain by players and mods alike. Keep this especially in mind when using the color or highlighter BBCodes!

Maltropia wrote:"Ladies and gentlemen of the Security Council, for some time now a Draft has been on the floor regarding this same proposal. As the author, but also from a neutral standpoint, I believe it is superior to that currently at vote."

You're going to have to campaign quite vigorously against the current one if you want yours to pass.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retwinsore
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Retwinsore » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:41 pm

(( Ah, sorry, was it too bright? ))

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Retwinsore wrote:(( Ah, sorry, was it too bright? ))

It probably still is if you're going to write exclusively in that colour. Generally people prefer coloured text to be used to highlight parts of a post, rather than being used for the whole thing.

Retwinsore
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Retwinsore » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:47 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
Retwinsore wrote:(( Ah, sorry, was it too bright? ))

It probably still is if you're going to write exclusively in that colour. Generally people prefer coloured text to be used to highlight parts of a post, rather than being used for the whole thing.

(( Mm, alrighty then, I'll keep it in black/default then. ))

Hockesin
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hockesin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:01 pm

He shouldn't be commended period for this. Commendations are for good deeds in Nationstates, extraordinary achievements, ending wars, defending regions , not things outside of, but happened to be related to Nationstates. If this is passed I will be immediately be writing a repeal for many reasons, including the one I just stated above and that the commendation isn't even 5 sentences long.

Bear in mind I am not a troll wanting attention, but I've seen way to many well-written and well-purposed proposals fail, and I find it a mockery that something like this could pass. Being mentioned and thanked by Max himself should be good enough, bending the rules of the game is going too far.
Last edited by Hockesin on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tanzoria
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 23, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tanzoria » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Oscar Gulterkerb had been silent for a long time, but finally could not contain himself. "This should not pass! It is poorly written and there are a lot more nations that deserve commendation than Tiago Silvia. what about Deneceap, the founder of WASO,I believe he should be commended. He sat down, and started sending emails to the other ambassadors telling them to vote against this.

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:29 pm

Sedgistan wrote:It doesn't sound awkward to me, and Rule 4 does apply to Liberations - and LEE is Rule 4 compliant.
I know it does now. But originally the rule read C&C's needed to be in SC IC. I don't know when they pushed us gameplayers out completely.
Sedgistan wrote:

The only real situation where SC resolutions are hard to write well is when C&Cing Generalites. In all other situations, authors haven't had a problem ensuring that resolutions are both understandable and Rule 4 compliant. If you had a look at some of the GP resolutions passed since (eg Liberate Greece, Commend 10KI, Commend Ananke), you'd see that there's absolutely no problem with passing Rule 4 compliant resolutions for gameplay situations (which I think I'm right in thinking is what you're worried about).
Yeah. I read them. I don't care what you think, defenders stop region crashing/raiding not: "interference from hostile foreign forces" and such.

Waste of time.
Last edited by Topid on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Weed

Eric the first
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Eric the first » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:30 pm

He shouldn't be commended period for this. Commendations are for good deeds in Nationstates, extraordinary achievements, ending wars, defending regions , not things outside of, but happened to be related to Nationstates. If this is passed I will be immediately be writing a repeal for many reasons, including the one I just stated above and that the commendation isn't even 5 sentences long.

Bear in mind I am not a troll wanting attention, but I've seen way to many well-written and well-purposed proposals fail, and I find it a mockery that something like this could pass. Being mentioned and thanked by Max himself should be good enough, bending the rules of the game is going too far.

Well I was going to rant about how extremely stupid i thought this was, but I believe Hockesin said it all. I don't believe that a (brave?) deed such as this merits a commendation, or else a commendation really isn't worth much.

Seperate Vermont
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperate Vermont » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:32 pm

Ah, those flags. I am changing my vote on this.
No, we are not obsessed with Maple Syrup. Speaking of that, Would you like some 100% Pure Vermont Maple Syrup? We have a surplus this year.
http://www.mechiwiki.com/nationstates/index.php?nation=Seperate_Vermont
GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Emmeria Kingdom
Envoy

Founded: Dec 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Emmeria Kingdom » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:33 pm

I have to go against. Not enough prove. Sorry :(
Im not an American. Im an Emmerian

Torphy Earned:Hero of Russia
Earn a nuke as a sniper
Torphy Earned: Radiant Japan
Earn a nuke as a soldier

Hockesin
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hockesin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:48 pm

Am I the only noticing that the voting time period is getting longer?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives