NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] [STRAY AUTHORS' GUILD] Conscientious Objector Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hiriaurtung Arororugul
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Hiriaurtung Arororugul » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Sintas wrote:Y'know? I hate you now.

Good

You are a communist,

No, you are.

cause you try to shift the blame.

This is a sign of communism that I was previously unaware of. Explain.

Just look at my nation; is that what you call communistic?

OK, you have a red dragon on your flag. This is either a sign of communism or Satanism. I can't decide which is worse.

The People's Republic of Sintas

A "People's Republic"? Commie.
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador
The People of Aundotutunagir

WARNING! This account only posts in-character and will treat all posts directed at it as in-character as well.

Otrenia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Otrenia » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:32 pm

Hiriaurtung Arororugul wrote:
Sintas wrote:Y'know? I hate you now.

Good

You are a communist,

No, you are.

cause you try to shift the blame.

This is a sign of communism that I was previously unaware of. Explain.

Just look at my nation; is that what you call communistic?

OK, you have a red dragon on your flag. This is either a sign of communism or Satanism. I can't decide which is worse.

The People's Republic of Sintas

A "People's Republic"? Commie.

You know, I don't even like Sintas, and I'm starting to get annoyed with you. Seriously, "communist" :palm: , the Cold War is over if you really want to insult us try "terrorist"
Last edited by Otrenia on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otrenia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Otrenia » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Ossitania wrote:
Otrenia wrote:I as the author would like to personally thank the representative from Eireann Fae and the other few supporters of this proposal. I totally agree with Eireann Fae that if people are not willing to voluntarily defend their country what's the point in making them. Also the point has been raised that because of the "other reason" part someone could make up any ridiculous reason, they could just as easily lie about a recognized reason for conscientious objection such as being a Quaker, could they not?

(1) The point in making them is to save lives, ambassador. It may occur to you that military invasions tend to have high levels of death and destruction, especially if the invasion is not one of territorial gain, but one of genocide. War is no longer a soldier's game, civilians are a military target in modern warfare.

(2) No, they couldn't. It is very hard to lie about your beliefs actually and the majority of people are awful liars anyway. So no, someone could not just lie about a recognised reason, especially if the state has the right to question all applicants for CO status.

I would like to point out the irony between your above statements and (what I'm assuming is) your national motto, "The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice."

Motuka
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Motuka » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:40 pm

Bears Armed wrote:I've heard of fewer than 10% of those nations before this...

All these new nations taking over the World Assembly! This place just isn't what it used to be, man. Why I remember back in the day how [INSERT NOSTALGIC STORY HERE]. Doesn't that just make you feel [INSERT ADJECTIVE HERE]?

Hiriaurtung Arororugul wrote:And you, of course, are also a communist. Otherwise you would not have had the temerity to challenge me on this subject.

I'll be keeping an eye on you.

Takes a human eyeball out of a little leather pouch and places it on the Sintasistani ambassador's shoulder.

Although the Aundotutunagirian Ambassador's position opposes our own on this issue, we must acknowledge that he is indeed a man of vision.

War being most unprofitable and thus counter to Motukan interests, the people of the MAE are quite interested in any legislation likely to reduce its incidence, and therefore have voted in favour of this resolution.

- Sandor Kaji, the Blue Room
Last edited by Motuka on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Assembly Personnel: Sandor Kaji ~ Julian Kbitaru

Political compass: Approximately -8 Social/+1 Economic (OOC); -6 Social/+9 Economic (IC) ~ Making Maps [suggestions welcome]

Hiriaurtung Arororugul
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Hiriaurtung Arororugul » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Otrenia wrote:the Cold War is over

What is this "cold war" you speak of? The Great Northern War? Yes, I'm told it was cold. Most things are in my part of the world are.
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador

WARNING! This account only posts in-character and will treat all posts directed at it as in-character as well.

Sintas
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sintas » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Listen bub, I am gonna get the forum administrators on you so fast you won't be able to say,"communism". Really, why do you have to criticize me? I try my best to be a peacekeeper.
Totally awesome, off the charts!
I'm a rocker type: Rock on!

You have probably heard about the disaster in Japan. I hope you, and everyone else, want to help in any way possible. Please, if so, post this on your sig, but most importantly, make a difference by helping them.

Follow Survivor! I'm on it, so be sure to tune in:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=104855

( don't EVER diss Germany. I'm related to Adolf Hitler, and I'll make. you. pay.)

Hiriaurtung Arororugul
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Hiriaurtung Arororugul » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:25 pm

Sintas wrote:Listen bub, I am gonna get the forum administrators on you so fast you won't be able to say,"communism". Really, why do you have to criticize me? I try my best to be a peacekeeper.

Excellent! I will help you. I believe these "forum administrators" tend to congregate next to the Vastiva Memorial Reflecting Pool. Perhaps you should seek them there.

Hiriaurtung Arororugul picks up the Sintastani ambassador and throws him out the window. He lands with a resounding splash in the middle of the Vastiva Memorial Reflecting Pool. Presumably he then climbs out of the reflecting pool, shakes himself off, and sets off in search of "forum administrators".
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador

Birrapex
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Birrapex » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Ossitania wrote:(1) The point in making them is to save lives, ambassador. It may occur to you that military invasions tend to have high levels of death and destruction, especially if the invasion is not one of territorial gain, but one of genocide. War is no longer a soldier's game, civilians are a military target in modern warfare.

How exactly does removing soldiers from the military defense protect civilians? :eyebrow:

The nations committing genocide are not within the WA and won't be following these guidelines. Weakening WA military only hinders us from preventing genocide when it occurs.

Ossitania wrote:(2) No, they couldn't. It is very hard to lie about your beliefs actually and the majority of people are awful liars anyway. So no, someone could not just lie about a recognised reason, especially if the state has the right to question all applicants for CO status.

:blink: People lie about their belief every Sunday, if not every day. Unless you have telepathy of some sort, you can't proclaim to know what any of us think or believe. If you have telepathic powers, I motion we take you in to custody to protect the WA security and disect.... er study you to assess how we can exploit... er I mean..... to fully understand how to develop this ability for the greater good of the WA.
:unsure:

Sintas
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sintas » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Sintas wrote:Listen bub, I am gonna get the forum administrators on you so fast you won't be able to say,"communism". Really, why do you have to criticize me? I try my best to be a peacekeeper.

Excellent! I will help you. I believe these "forum administrators" tend to congregate next to the Vastiva Memorial Reflecting Pool. Perhaps you should seek them there.

Hiriaurtung Arororugul picks up the Sintastani ambassador and throws him out the window. He lands with a resounding splash in the middle of the Vastiva Memorial Reflecting Pool. Presumably he then climbs out of the reflecting pool, shakes himself off, and sets off in search of "forum administrators".

Now you are in trouble. I have contacted one and told me my problem. I have a present for you.
Punches the ambassador in the stomach and he learns his lesson

I saw that in another forum and I thought of that when I read your last post.

You have probably heard about the disaster in Japan. I hope you, and everyone else, want to help in any way possible. Please, if so, post this on your sig, but most importantly, make a difference by helping them.

Follow Survivor! I'm on it, so be sure to tune in:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=104855

( don't EVER diss Germany. I'm related to Adolf Hitler, and I'll make. you. pay.)

Hiriaurtung Arororugul
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Hiriaurtung Arororugul » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Sintas wrote:Punches the ambassador in the stomach...

Hiriaurtung Arororugul blows an enormous fart...
...and he learns his lesson...

....not to eat curried beans before coming to the GA Chamber.

Heh. That's the spirit. :clap:
Last edited by Hiriaurtung Arororugul on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador

Sintas
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sintas » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:11 pm

Sintas wrote:Punches the ambassador in the stomach...

Hiriaurtung Arororugul blows an enormous fart...
...and he learns his lesson...

....not to eat curried beans before coming to the GA Chamber.

Heh. That's the spirit. :clap:

You are sick. I am upset with your actions. I think I shall write a proposal condemning you after writing one after I do one about a raider group. I just want to say you are dense. Please lighten up, because I have already rattled on you to one of the administrators.
Blows a big fart

... Really? ;)

Otrenia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Otrenia » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Thank you Sintas
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Koffiedik
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Koffiedik » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Thank you. Who says politics are boring?
Nobel Hobos wrote:When a guest, leave the toilet seat the way your found it. If it was down, leave it down. If it was up, leave it up.

Sintas
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sintas » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:30 pm

You are welcome *bows multiple times*

Hiriaurtung Arororugul
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Hiriaurtung Arororugul » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Sintas wrote:You are sick.

I am, in fact, sick. I fear that the curried lentils which I consumed before arriving here did not sit well with me.

I am upset with your actions.

I am truly sorry that you are upset, and I apologise for defenestrating you. I usually only do that in extreme cases. Perhaps if you smoked some of my hashish it would improve your mood?

I think I shall write a proposal condemning you after writing one after I do one about a raider group.

I think that is a splendid idea.

I just want to say you are dense.

I am closely compacted in substance? Please explain.

Please lighten up,

I am smoking copious amounts of hashish already. How much lighter does the ambassador expect me to get?

because I have already rattled on you to one of the administrators.

Well I must admit that I have never been "rattled" on. Did you use chains?
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador

Cardoness
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cardoness » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:56 pm

Sintas wrote:Please lighten up,

I am smoking copious amounts of hashish already. How much lighter does the ambassador expect me to get?

*Lord Andras sends a page to Ambassador Hiriaurtung Arororugul with a small pouch and a note*

Compliments of the Kingdom of Cardoness. Word has reached us of your powerful state and we wish to start diplomatic relations out on the left foot. Please accept this pouch, hand made by the Kings own daughter, which contains 50oz of the finest leaf grown in our lands. It is illegal in over 90% of the world and only the Fae are known to grow better. This is sure to "lighten" any mood you are in. Strength be yours, A.V.
Speaker Andreas, Ambassador to the World Assembly, Founder of the United League of Nations.
Frustrated Franciscans wrote:We are firmly against the godless, utopian, progressive overreach that a small number of nations in the World Assembly want to impose upon the multiverse...

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Conscientious Objector Act
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: DiFruscio

Description: Description: An act to protect the right of conscientious objectors to refuse military service for moral, religious, or philosophical beliefs.

DEFINING a conscientious objector as an individual who has claimed the right to refuse to perform military service on the grounds of freedom of thought, conscience, or religion.

DECLARES that a person may claim the right to be a conscientious objector because of their moral, religious, or philosophical beliefs.

DECLARES that a person may claim the right to be a conscientious objector because they are pacifist, non-interventionist, non-resistant, antimilitarist, or other reason.

DECLARES that a person may not be punished in any way due to their refusal to perform military service for moral, religious, or philosophical beliefs.

DECLARES that persons performing military service may develop conscientious objections.

REALIZING that different nations have differing views on conscription and military service.

THEREFORE DECLARING that each nation has the right to question those persons seeking conscientious objector status, however these questions may, in no way, be deliberately misleading, confusing, or self-incriminating.

FURTHER authorizing nations, at their discretion, to require conscientious objectors to fill non-combatant roles, or civilian service roles for an equal amount of time as those who perform the involuntary military service the conscientious objectors have objected to.

DECLARES that this resolution does not prevent further regulation, by member nations or the World Assembly, to protect conscientious objectors.

odd that this has been submitted again, by a different nation, while the original is still up for a vote.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Cardoness
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cardoness » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:16 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Conscientious Objector Act
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: DiFruscio

Description: Description: An act to protect the right of conscientious objectors to refuse military service for moral, religious, or philosophical beliefs.

DEFINING a conscientious objector as an individual who has claimed the right to refuse to perform military service on the grounds of freedom of thought, conscience, or religion.

DECLARES that a person may claim the right to be a conscientious objector because of their moral, religious, or philosophical beliefs.

DECLARES that a person may claim the right to be a conscientious objector because they are pacifist, non-interventionist, non-resistant, antimilitarist, or other reason.

DECLARES that a person may not be punished in any way due to their refusal to perform military service for moral, religious, or philosophical beliefs.

DECLARES that persons performing military service may develop conscientious objections.

REALIZING that different nations have differing views on conscription and military service.

THEREFORE DECLARING that each nation has the right to question those persons seeking conscientious objector status, however these questions may, in no way, be deliberately misleading, confusing, or self-incriminating.

FURTHER authorizing nations, at their discretion, to require conscientious objectors to fill non-combatant roles, or civilian service roles for an equal amount of time as those who perform the involuntary military service the conscientious objectors have objected to.

DECLARES that this resolution does not prevent further regulation, by member nations or the World Assembly, to protect conscientious objectors.

odd that this has been submitted again, by a different nation, while the original is still up for a vote.

Still can't get good security around here. Just the other day I had my new pen stolen, right off my desk. Now they are stealing proposals, and crappy ones at that. Maybe we should investigate getting a "WA Police Force".
Speaker Andreas, Ambassador to the World Assembly, Founder of the United League of Nations.
Frustrated Franciscans wrote:We are firmly against the godless, utopian, progressive overreach that a small number of nations in the World Assembly want to impose upon the multiverse...

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:17 pm

because I have already rattled on you to one of the administrators.

Well I must admit that I have never been "rattled" on. Did you use chains?

I must say that I am quite impressed with the bravado of the nation of Sintas. Hiriaurtung Arororugul was very renowned back in the day, and the stories that are told of his previous exploits are legendary. Still, I can't recall any other ambassador or delegation that dared to suggest that the power and strength of Hiriaurtung Arororugul could be restrained.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Hiriaurtung Arororugul
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Hiriaurtung Arororugul » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Cardoness wrote:
Hiriaurtung Arororugul wrote:I am smoking copious amounts of hashish already. How much lighter does the ambassador expect me to get?

*Lord Andras sends a page to Ambassador Hiriaurtung Arororugul with a small pouch and a note*

Compliments of the Kingdom of Cardoness. Word has reached us of your powerful state and we wish to start diplomatic relations out on the left foot. Please accept this pouch, hand made by the Kings own daughter, which contains 50oz of the finest leaf grown in our lands. It is illegal in over 90% of the world and only the Fae are known to grow better. This is sure to "lighten" any mood you are in. Strength be yours, A.V.

Hiriaurtung Arororugul opens the pouch and breathes in the leafy goodness. He then assembles a pouch to return to Lord Andras, filled with the finest Turfani hashish along with some Yortani deleriant hallucinogens. In the pouch he also places a note.

Thank you, Lord Andras. I am forever in your debt. I hope that you will find the enclosed goods adequate for your enjoyment.

May your herd carry you through the winter and many foals dance in the spring rains,
Arororugul
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador

DiFruscio
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Conscientious Objector Act reposted

Postby DiFruscio » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:15 am

As some of you may have saw I reposted the Conscientious Objector act (with author's consent). I telegrammed The Kingdom of Otrenia and they are the author, I just reposted it since the current one at vote doesn't have enough votes to pass. It was well written if I may add.
Difruscio, a Capitalist world Superpower.

NewCalifornia-Republic
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby NewCalifornia-Republic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:31 am

After calmly watching this disgraceful series of events, Joseph Briggs, stand ups and makes a plea

Hiriaurtung Arororugul and sintas, stop acting like children, you have turned the WA into a school playground with you childish actions, who are we to condemn other nations if you fight over a bill, we are meant to be setting an example for the rest of the world showing that peaceful discussions are an appropriate subsitute for voilence and your twisting peoples words, chucking people out of windows and punching people. SHAME ON YOU!!!!!
John Geary,
Leader of the General Assembly
The NewCalifornia-Republic

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:38 am

DiFruscio wrote:As some of you may have saw I reposted the Conscientious Objector act (with author's consent). I telegrammed The Kingdom of Otrenia and they are the author, I just reposted it since the current one at vote doesn't have enough votes to pass. It was well written if I may add.

I don't think that was a particularly good idea.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:15 am

DiFruscio wrote:As some of you may have saw I reposted the Conscientious Objector act (with author's consent). I telegrammed The Kingdom of Otrenia and they are the author, I just reposted it since the current one at vote doesn't have enough votes to pass. It was well written if I may add.

If the current draft fails at vote, I believe some changes would need to be made before resubmission in order for such submission (even by the original author) to be viewed as "legal." After all, if the current assembly rejects the proposal as written, why should they have to have a revote on the same exact text within the next few days? Why would anyone change their opinion of the draft within the few days that may pass before (theoretical) duplicate votes?

As Sedge stated, your reproposal of the *exact* draft that is currently at vote is not the greatest idea. I'm sure you'll be getting more details on that from the mods, if you haven't already.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:45 am

A question. If the current one doesn't have enough votes to pass, and indeed does look to be headed towards being voted down ....

What could possibly make you think reposting an identical copy is a "good idea"?

If something doesn't reach queue, or is voted down, that should be the first clue that It Should Not Be Posted Yet Again.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives