NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion Neutrality Act [Given Up]

A record of historical World Assembly debates.
User avatar
Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11726
Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Capitalizt

Abortion Neutrality Act [Given Up]

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:37 am

While I was at church this morning, I got the idea for this due to contemplation over all the stuff here. Now, I do want advice on how to make this better, so, any help to flesh this out is welcome. (and if everybody thinks it sucks I'll just cancel the idea) :)
NOTING that abortion is a highly personal issue,

DECLARES that abortion's legality is an issue best left to be determined each and every nation through its own political processes, further,

MANDATES that the World Assembly's stance on abortion's legality be neutral

Also, not sure of the category it should be.
Last edited by Umbra Ac Silentium on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Economic Left/Right: -0.63 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.97
Other Compass
The Holy Therns wrote:Your thought pattern is so bizarre I can't even be offended anymore.

User avatar
Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 11092
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:41 am

It is the best suggestion I've heard yet.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
♦ A-well-a, don't you know about the bird ♦
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
♦
Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

User avatar
Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11726
Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Capitalizt

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:41 am

Kryozerkia wrote:It is the best suggestion I've heard yet.

Wow, why thank you. :blush:

Economic Left/Right: -0.63 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.97
Other Compass
The Holy Therns wrote:Your thought pattern is so bizarre I can't even be offended anymore.

User avatar
Celestial Sphere
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Nov 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Celestial Sphere » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:46 am

Would it not count as a blocker? As far as I can see, it also doesn't require WA member nations to introduce new legislation.
The Mostly Serene Republic of Celestial Sphere

User avatar
Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11726
Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Capitalizt

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:48 am

Celestial Sphere wrote:Would it not count as a blocker? As far as I can see, it also doesn't require WA member nations to introduce new legislation.

Huh, what's a blocker? >.>;

Economic Left/Right: -0.63 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.97
Other Compass
The Holy Therns wrote:Your thought pattern is so bizarre I can't even be offended anymore.

User avatar
Celestial Sphere
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Nov 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Celestial Sphere » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:50 am

A proposal introduced with the primary aim of preventing further legislation on an issue. I think it's illegal if your proposal is just a blocker - ie it doesn't do anything more.
The Mostly Serene Republic of Celestial Sphere

User avatar
Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11726
Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Capitalizt

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:53 am

Celestial Sphere wrote:A proposal introduced with the primary aim of preventing further legislation on an issue. I think it's illegal if your proposal is just a blocker - ie it doesn't do anything more.

Mmm, oh, ok, I see. Well, I guess I'll just have this locked then. :meh:

Economic Left/Right: -0.63 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.97
Other Compass
The Holy Therns wrote:Your thought pattern is so bizarre I can't even be offended anymore.

User avatar
Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 11092
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:53 am

Celestial Sphere wrote:A proposal introduced with the primary aim of preventing further legislation on an issue. I think it's illegal if your proposal is just a blocker - ie it doesn't do anything more.

It is not repeal proof though. It merely states a stance of neutrality. The WA could still regulate abortions to ensure that the environment it is performed in is safe. That the medicine used for it is tested properly. It isn't preventing future issues, other than anything which will change the immediate stance of neutrality. Neutrality doesn't prevent legislation to ensure safety.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
♦ A-well-a, don't you know about the bird ♦
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
♦
Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

User avatar
Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11726
Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Capitalizt

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:54 am

Kryozerkia wrote:
Celestial Sphere wrote:A proposal introduced with the primary aim of preventing further legislation on an issue. I think it's illegal if your proposal is just a blocker - ie it doesn't do anything more.

It is not repeal proof though. It merely states a stance of neutrality. The WA could still regulate abortions to ensure that the environment it is performed in is safe. That the medicine used for it is tested properly. It isn't preventing future issues, other than anything which will change the immediate stance of neutrality. Neutrality doesn't prevent legislation to ensure safety.

Ah, ok, thanks for letting me know. :) Disregard the lock thing I said. >.>

Economic Left/Right: -0.63 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.97
Other Compass
The Holy Therns wrote:Your thought pattern is so bizarre I can't even be offended anymore.

User avatar
Seperate Vermont
Senator
 
Posts: 4772
Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperate Vermont » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:56 am

Hear,Hear!

Finally, a sense of sensibility among collaboration rather than this "I LIKE IT THIS WAY AND I WANT ALL NATIONS TO BE LIKE THIS!!!1!!!" pathetic whining.
No, we are not obsessed with Maple Syrup. Speaking of that, Would you like some 100% Pure Vermont Maple Syrup? We have a surplus this year.
http://www.mechiwiki.com/nationstates/index.php?nation=Seperate_Vermont
GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

User avatar
The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5531
Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:03 am

Kryozerkia wrote:
Celestial Sphere wrote:A proposal introduced with the primary aim of preventing further legislation on an issue. I think it's illegal if your proposal is just a blocker - ie it doesn't do anything more.

It is not repeal proof though. It merely states a stance of neutrality. The WA could still regulate abortions to ensure that the environment it is performed in is safe. That the medicine used for it is tested properly. It isn't preventing future issues, other than anything which will change the immediate stance of neutrality. Neutrality doesn't prevent legislation to ensure safety.


Thanks for clearing that up.

Could you or someone else please help this ignorant fool find the rule or ruling against "blocking" proposals in the first place? And define a "blocking" proposal? I've had trouble locating this information -- despite looking for it in the Rules, Q&A, Reference Guide, and by searches.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

User avatar
The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5531
Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

I would support this

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:11 am

By the way, despite being fiercely pro-choice and believing every person in every nation in the WA has an inalienable right to their own bodies which includes a right to abortion, I would strongly approve of a sensible compromise measure like this.

WAR#44 already should do much to reduce or eliminate the problem of abortion throughouth the WA and the combination of respect for national sovereignty, the dignity of my opponent's views, and the intractability of any fight "to win" internationally either way makes simply leaving the issue to individual nations to decide the issue is the best course of action for everyone.

Kudos to Umbra Ac Silentium. :clap: :bow:
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

User avatar
Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11726
Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Capitalizt

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks for all the praise everyone, but is there any way at all I can improve this? Or should I try submitting, or what? >.>

Economic Left/Right: -0.63 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.97
Other Compass
The Holy Therns wrote:Your thought pattern is so bizarre I can't even be offended anymore.

User avatar
Sionis Prioratus
Senator
 
Posts: 3550
Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:21 am

Umbra Ac Silentium wrote:Thanks for all the praise everyone, but is there any way at all I can improve this? Or should I try submitting, or what? >.>


Submit right away. Seriously.
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for The Phoenix Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of ♔ The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
♔ Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair

User avatar
Mahaj WA Seat
Minister
 
Posts: 2090
Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:23 am

submit.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.


Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.


User avatar
Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11726
Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Capitalizt

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:24 am

Alright, will do then.
*edit*
But what category to place it in?
Last edited by Umbra Ac Silentium on Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Economic Left/Right: -0.63 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.97
Other Compass
The Holy Therns wrote:Your thought pattern is so bizarre I can't even be offended anymore.

User avatar
Mahaj WA Seat
Minister
 
Posts: 2090
Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:24 am

Umbra Ac Silentium wrote:Alright, will do then.

great!
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.


Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.


User avatar
Mahaj WA Seat
Minister
 
Posts: 2090
Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:26 am

Umbra Ac Silentium wrote:Alright, will do then.
*edit*
But what category to place it in?

Moral Decency?
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.


Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.


User avatar
Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11726
Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Capitalizt

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:27 am

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:
Umbra Ac Silentium wrote:Alright, will do then.
*edit*
But what category to place it in?

Moral Decency?

Huh, but it doesn't really seem like it would fit there. Maybe Political Stability?

Economic Left/Right: -0.63 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.97
Other Compass
The Holy Therns wrote:Your thought pattern is so bizarre I can't even be offended anymore.

User avatar
Mahaj WA Seat
Minister
 
Posts: 2090
Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:28 am

Umbra Ac Silentium wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:Moral Decency?

Huh, but it doesn't really seem like it would fit there. Maybe Political Stability?

something like this doesn't really fit anywhere. but maybe... human rights?

its either moral decency, political stability, or human rights.
i want to say the first, but, hey, its your proposal.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.


Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.


User avatar
Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11726
Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Capitalizt

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:29 am

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:
Umbra Ac Silentium wrote:Huh, but it doesn't really seem like it would fit there. Maybe Political Stability?

something like this doesn't really fit anywhere. but maybe... human rights?

its either moral decency, political stability, or human rights.
i want to say the first, but, hey, its your proposal.

Ya, but I do like some help deciding. I'll wait and see if somebody else says anything on the category. Then to determine the strength...

Economic Left/Right: -0.63 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.97
Other Compass
The Holy Therns wrote:Your thought pattern is so bizarre I can't even be offended anymore.

User avatar
Mahaj WA Seat
Minister
 
Posts: 2090
Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:31 am

Umbra Ac Silentium wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:something like this doesn't really fit anywhere. but maybe... human rights?

its either moral decency, political stability, or human rights.
i want to say the first, but, hey, its your proposal.

Ya, but I do like some help deciding. I'll wait and see if somebody else says anything on the category. Then to determine the strength...

strength: i'd say strong, after all, we are determining the stance of most of the world.

you can wait some if you want, or you can just submit it now.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.


Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.


User avatar
Celestial Sphere
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Nov 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Celestial Sphere » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:34 am

Kryozerkia wrote:
Celestial Sphere wrote:A proposal introduced with the primary aim of preventing further legislation on an issue. I think it's illegal if your proposal is just a blocker - ie it doesn't do anything more.

It is not repeal proof though. It merely states a stance of neutrality. The WA could still regulate abortions to ensure that the environment it is performed in is safe. That the medicine used for it is tested properly. It isn't preventing future issues, other than anything which will change the immediate stance of neutrality. Neutrality doesn't prevent legislation to ensure safety.

My other question still stands - is this not illegal because it fails to introduce legislation in WA member states?
The Mostly Serene Republic of Celestial Sphere

User avatar
Free Tristania
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8191
Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Tristania » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:34 am

Hear hear ! The WA needs more of such proposals. Not everything has to be organised and harmonised by the Assembly. And a lot of nations can decide for themselves. It is high time that the WA concerns itself with more serious issues like international trade, diplomacy and internal organisation.
Pro: True Liberty, Voluntary association, Free Trade, Family and Tradition as the Bedrock of Society
Anti: Centralisation (of any sort), Feminism, Internationalism, Multiculturalism, Collectivism of any sort (be it Left-wing or Right-wing)

User avatar
Unibot
Senator
 
Posts: 4291
Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:35 am

Hhmm.. category. Human Rights/Mild. I think. But perhaps political stability/mild, because the issue of abortion is being reduced as a viable topic for the WA.
Last edited by Unibot on Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads