NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Extinction Preparation Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

[Passed] Extinction Preparation Act

Postby The Associated Peoples » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:11 am

Extinction Preparation Act

Category:Education and Creativity |Area of Effect:Educational |Proposed By :The Associated Peoples

Description:
REALIZING that a major catastrophe could threaten the existence of any number of species.

SEEKING to install safeguards for the recovery of any species that falls victim to an extinction event.

RECOGNIZING that many nations may have safeguards in place.

CONCERNED that such safeguards can be lost due to disasters both natural and manufactured.

BELIEVING that all nations can benefit from mutual preparation.

HEREBY:

I. AUTHORIZES the creation of the Extinction Preparation Research Facility (EPRF).
a.) The facility will be located in a neutral World Assembly controlled territory. Ideally, in an arctic region well above sea level, with little to no seismic activity, to minimize the danger of damage due to electrical failure, flooding or structural damage.
b.) The facility is to be staffed, constructed and maintained by the World Assembly Scientific Programme (WASP).
c.) Member nations may use this facility freely, while non-member nations may use it for a nominal fee, which will provide additional funding for upkeep.

II. EMPOWERS staff scientists to research advanced methods of artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization, embryo transfer, cloning and efficient horticultural replenishment, as well as the study of keystone species and methods for rebuilding ecosystems.
a.) All discoveries shall be made available to any establishment showing legitimate interest.

III. URGES member nations to supply specimens of seeds, saplings and genetic animal materials (sperm, eggs and DNA).

IV. REQUIRES acceptable preservation methods to be observed.

Co-authored by The Coyote Coalition

This is my first attempt at writing a proposal so constructive criticism is most welcome.Do not hold back I have a thick skin and can take it.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:27 am, edited 13 times in total.
The Ambassador Elect of The Political Efficiency Accord Dr.Nigel Roosevelt author of GA Resolution #126Extinction Preparation Act
Economic Left/Right: -0.88 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
Warzone Codger wrote:Well this is surely an interesting voting spilt.

You've beaten all 5 Feeders, XKI, Region Inc, Capitalist Paradise, (and edit: Gatesville) (the latter 4 being user regions who have more endos than one feeder) ALL voting against.
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Have you ever considered that there exist perspectives other than your own and equally as valid, or do you claim infallible omniscience by virtue of the houseboat you lovingly inhabit on de Nial?
Memebr of the WASO

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:32 am

Oops! Didn't get back to you about this, did I? Sorry!

As far as food plants are concerned, Resolution #52 (the Food Welfare Act) has already set up a seedbank. You'll need to alter your text so that you're clearly not trying to duplicate, contradict or amend the relevant section...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:43 am

Bears Armed wrote:Oops! Didn't get back to you about this, did I? Sorry!

As far as food plants are concerned, Resolution #52 (the Food Welfare Act) has already set up a seedbank. You'll need to alter your text so that you're clearly not trying to duplicate, contradict or amend the relevant section...

As far as not getting back to me goes...no biggie people get busy I understand that.
I missed that when I went through the existing resolutions.This is not a food only seed bank so I think if I remove the word agricultural from this part...

II. EMPOWERS staff scientists to research advanced methods of artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization, embryo transfer, cloning and efficient horticultural/agricultural replenishment, as well as the study of keystone species and methods for rebuilding ecosystems.

...it should be out of any danger of duplication.It is a vague food reference but better safe then sorry.Thank you for your input.
The Ambassador Elect of The Political Efficiency Accord Dr.Nigel Roosevelt author of GA Resolution #126Extinction Preparation Act

You've beaten all 5 Feeders, XKI, Region Inc, Capitalist Paradise, (and edit: Gatesville) (the latter 4 being user regions who have more endos than one feeder) ALL voting against.
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Have you ever considered that there exist perspectives other than your own and equally as valid, or do you claim infallible omniscience by virtue of the houseboat you lovingly inhabit on de Nial?
Memebr of the WASO

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:02 am

Education AND CREATIVITY proposals don't have an area of effect.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:10 am

Philimbesi wrote:Education AND CREATIVITY proposals don't have an area of effect.

:eyebrow: Since when?

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:27 am

Nigel blushed... "I appologize I mispoke, excuse me for a moment..." Nigel then pulls out a trout and begins beating Max over the head...
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:31 am

Philimbesi wrote:Education AND CREATIVITY proposals don't have an area of effect.

When I looked at the proposal submission area that was a field that I had to fill out.I looked before I posted to make sure that the correct format was followed.The four Areas of Effect for the Education category are Artistic,Educational,Cultural Heritage,and Free Press.Arguably the Area of Effect would better be served by Cultural Heritage if one was to think of the ecosystem in terms of cultural identity.If anyone has a thought on this I would welcome the insight.

Memebr of the WASO

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:34 am

Philimbesi wrote:Nigel blushed... "I appologize I mispoke, excuse me for a moment..." Nigel then pulls out a trout and begins beating Max over the head...

It is quite alright.The proposal writing information is allot to remember.One can hardly be expected to have instant recall on the subject.

Memebr of the WASO

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:36 am

Category: Education, Area of Effect: Educational is fine but there is no need to cover on the Seedbank due to GA#52. Also,

IV. REQUIRES acceptable storage methods to be observed.
a.) Seeds are to be stored in four-ply, sealed envelopes and placed into plastic tote containers on metal shelving racks. The storage rooms are to be kept at −18°C (−0°F).
b.) Saplings are to be kept in nurseries.
c.) Genetic animal materials are to be stored through the process of cryopreservation, including the use of cryoprotectants at a temperature of 77 K or −196°C.

This block of text is a bit too narrow, as some member states may have better forms of preservation. Generally, we recommend that member states must make a good effort to securely store samples of specimens in an environment which does not cause it to disintegrate, or at least slows down the disintegration process. Something like that but no need to specify envelopes and temperatures, just reasonable measures.

-Ms. S. Harper.

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Category: Education, Area of Effect: Educational is fine but there is no need to cover on the Seedbank due to GA#52.

After reading GA#52 as far as i can tell it is only concerned with food plants.
CONSTRUCTS the World Assembly Seedbank to store seeds as a source of planting where seeds are generally unavailable, due to natural disaster, disease outbreak, and war, as well as to protect the biodiversity of food crops; such seeds shall be collected as volunteered by nations; the IFWO shall manage the distribution of seeds when needed.
The seeds of food plants would be welcome in the EPRF but that is not the sole intention of the facility.This is for all manner of organic materials it just happens to be that most plants are best preserved in seed form.The aim here is being prepared to replace any organic species in the wake of an extinction event. not just the food producing variety
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
a.) Seeds are to be stored in four-ply, sealed envelopes and placed into plastic tote containers on metal shelving racks. The storage rooms are to be kept at −18°C (−0°F).
b.) Saplings are to be kept in nurseries.
c.) Genetic animal materials are to be stored through the process of cryopreservation, including the use of cryoprotectants at a temperature of 77 K or −196°C.

This block of text is a bit too narrow, as some member states may have better forms of preservation. Generally, we recommend that member states must make a good effort to securely store samples of specimens in an environment which does not cause it to disintegrate, or at least slows down the disintegration process. Something like that but no need to specify envelopes and temperatures, just reasonable measures.
-Ms. S. Harper.

Are you suggesting that I remove the methods and leave only...

...or maybe I should change it to
IV. REQUIRES acceptable preservation methods to be observed.
and leave out the examples.That does seem better to me.I tried to write this keeping in mind that not everyone has humans and other earth creatures on it and forgot all about the different tech levels.Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Memebr of the WASO

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:52 pm

This is interesting. Maybe it could develop into something we could support.

Yours in building the Noah's Arc,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:22 pm

I was a little slow on the uptake I just noticed that you all capped Creativity to point out that it was missing I assume.Thanks for the catch.Fixed

Memebr of the WASO

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:30 am

Clause III could reasonably, in my opinion, also urge the WA's member nations to supply those specimens for storage.

Why not make the management of the facility or facilities concerned, and of the scientists involved, an additional responsibility for already-existing 'WASP' (i.e. the 'WA Science Programme')?

How about including a clause about cooperation with "other relevant agencies", to cover the WA Environmental Council and any other international or national organisations that could also have legitimate interests in the matter?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:10 am

Bears Armed wrote:Clause III could reasonably, in my opinion, also urge the WA's member nations to supply those specimens for storage.
I had this in the Perambulatory Clauses at one time but trimmed it as a redundancy.I thought that it really just duplicated Clause III.I could however after reading through it again change Clause III to read as...
III. Urges WA nations to supply specimens of seeds,saplings and genetic animal materials (sperm, eggs and DNA).

Bears Armed wrote:Why not make the management of the facility or facilities concerned, and of the scientists involved, an additional responsibility for already-existing 'WASP' (i.e. the 'WA Science Programme')?
I also thought of this but was afraid of the house of cards scenario.I have however noticed that there were a few other resolutions that cited this in there body somewhere.Would the WASP still stand if Resolution #92 was repealed?

Bears Armed wrote:How about including a clause about cooperation with "other relevant agencies", to cover the WA Environmental Council and any other international or national organisations that could also have legitimate interests in the matter?
I was actually just thinking about this a few minutes ago.The fact that someone else brought it up makes me more inclined to do so.I am going to work on the wording to make it as inclusive as possible.I like the idea of sharing information with educational facilities and other establishments that would have a legitimate interest.

Memebr of the WASO

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:19 am

Sionis Prioratus wrote:This is interesting. Maybe it could develop into something we could support.

Yours in building the Noah's Arc,
A belated thank you for your show of support.

Memebr of the WASO

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:39 am

The Associated Peoples wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Why not make the management of the facility or facilities concerned, and of the scientists involved, an additional responsibility for already-existing 'WASP' (i.e. the 'WA Science Programme')?
I also thought of this but was afraid of the house of cards scenario. I have however noticed that there were a few other resolutions that cited this in there body somewhere. Would the WASP still stand if Resolution #92 was repealed?

Bearing in mind that it was actually created by Resolution #87, and then re-used by #92, yes. ;)
The rules say that you can assign new duties to an existing committee (as long as you don't actually mention the resolution that created it in your text, which would be illegal for 'house of cards'...) and then if the resolution that created it ever gets repealed it would continue in existence with only the added role[s].
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:48 am

Bears Armed wrote:The rules say that you can assign new duties to an existing committee (as long as you don't actually mention the resolution that created it in your text, which would be illegal for 'house of cards'...) and then if the resolution that created it ever gets repealed it would continue in existence with only the added role[s].

Appalled as we find ourselves by agreeing with what Tedd... erm, Bears Armed's representatives said, we can vouch for the information's correctness.

Yours in an hallucinogenic delusion,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:20 am

Sionis Prioratus wrote:Appalled as we find ourselves by agreeing with what Tedd... erm, Bears Armed's representatives

"Hr'rmm..."
:eyebrow:

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:38 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Bearing in mind that it was actually created by Resolution #87, and then re-used by #92, yes. ;)
oops :blush:
Bears Armed wrote:The rules say that you can assign new duties to an existing committee (as long as you don't actually mention the resolution that created it in your text, which would be illegal for 'house of cards'...) and then if the resolution that created it ever gets repealed it would continue in existence with only the added role[s].
That's good to know.I suppose that when trying to avoid legal issues one should not overlook legal benefits.Thank you for the info.I have some more editing to do.

Edits have been made to the OP
Last edited by The Associated Peoples on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Memebr of the WASO

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Now that the holidays are winding down I thought it would be a good time to bring this proposal back up in front of my honored peers here in the WA.Barring any strong opposition towards this proposal I will be submitting it in the next couple of days.If anyone sees anything wrong or outrageous in this piece of legislation please make your objections known to me and I will see what I can do to alleviate you of the problem.

Memebr of the WASO

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:56 pm

Thank you to those that took the time to advise me on this matter.This proposal is now submitted.

Memebr of the WASO

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:56 pm

Educational? I thought it was more of Cultural Heritage in my opinion.

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:39 pm

I almost went with that but the clause of sharing the information gathered through research made me lean towards the education side.

Memebr of the WASO

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm sorry, but Ms. Harper isn't quite getting the hang on the category. One side looks environmental because it aims to rebuild ecosystems and the other looks educational as it tries to research. But something doesn't look quite right about the fact that it should be located in an Arctic region (and when I tried typing "arctic" it capitalised itself). Could it be coordinated between institutions instead?
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:I'm sorry, but Ms. Harper isn't quite getting the hang on the category. One side looks environmental because it aims to rebuild ecosystems and the other looks educational as it tries to research. But something doesn't look quite right about the fact that it should be located in an Arctic region (and when I tried typing "arctic" it capitalised itself). Could it be coordinated between institutions instead?

Honored ambassador Harper, the reasoning behind the arctic area is to create a buffer zone in the instance that a power failure would occur.If this were to happen the extreme cold temperature would have a chance of slowing any sample degradation until the preservation units could be brought back on line minimizing the chance of loss.I pondered and discarded the idea of an environmental category because one this will not harm industry and two it is only to rebuild ecosystems in the case that one would cease to exist it does not provide any protection to keep it from happening only to rebuild in the event of extinction on a massive level.Any information or methods discovered would be shared with the scientific community at large in other words educating others on rebuilding methods.As far as coordinating goes that is what the sharing of information is for also not all nations can afford to bring their own such institutions into existence and it would be a shame to lose any ecosystem for it would effect everybody especially if a keystone species migrated between more than one nation which is the case most times.Another point I would like to mention is that this can also be considered as redundancy insurance.It is realized that any nation can of course have their own methods already established but it is also realized that nothing is certain in the area of these methods being compromised in some way.Say for example there is a large environmental catastrophe that destroyed a nations own facility that also caused large numbers of species to become extinct or in a huge danger of becoming so.If this were to happen the samples in storage in the facility I am proposing could offer a hope for repairing loss.

(ooc)My spell check has no problem with not making arctic a proper noun but it can be used in that way.

Memebr of the WASO

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives