NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend Starblaydia

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Herrebrugh wrote:I don't think we should commend a dictatorship. We would send out the wrong message.

We're not commending Starblaydia for being a dictatorship, besides Starblaydia roleplays his/her nation as a Constitutional Monarchy with a democratic assembly.

Kalibarr
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:44 pm

I see no reason to be against this, and I'm glad the SC is expanding to other communities. For.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:40 am

Always can count on Mikeswill and The West Pacific to stomp. 10000 Islands is the only reason why anything these days passes. :p

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:57 am

FOR.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:33 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:FOR.

Thank you to you and your region, and Happy Holidays!

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:47 pm

While this resolution contains nothing objectionable, it also fails to capture our support as worthy of enshrinement in international law. At the risk of being miscategorized as being against all commendations, I vote against. The fawning purple prose certainly did not help this resolution's case in the Kriovaller Senate.

Henrik Søgård
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Krioval wrote:While this resolution contains nothing objectionable, it also fails to capture our support as worthy of enshrinement in international law. At the risk of being miscategorized as being against all commendations, I vote against. The fawning purple prose certainly did not help this resolution's case in the Kriovaller Senate.

Henrik Søgård
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Nah, I've seen you vote for some resolutions.. you share little of the staunch opposition to the SC as shared by Mikeswill and the West Pacific. I disagree about worthiness, but I can see from some nations' perspectives, the sports community may not have affected their nations personally (closely?) and thus nations may not feel particularly enthused about voting for this resolution.. similar to the situation that happened with HC Eredivisie.

OOC: I take it this is an IC objection to sporting being commended?

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:41 am

I'll like vote for with TFL soon. The region's vote is favoring fairly significantly.

I don't really see a reason to vote against or for personally... I don't know anything about him good or bad and by the length of this thread I'd say that is the same for a lot of people.
AKA Weed

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:36 am

"For!"

(Now, if only our own team could finally get past the World Cup's 'group' stage...)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:17 am

Bears Armed wrote:(Now, if only our own team could finally get past the World Cup's 'group' stage...)

OOC: Good luck this year, Bears! :)

Difiniland
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Difiniland » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:28 am

Herrebrugh wrote:I don't think we should commend a dictatorship. We would send out the wrong message.

CORRECT!

With all due respect to Unibotian, who might I add seems to have just as corrupt a government as Starblaydia, there is nothing commendable about Starblaydia...PUT THIS RESOLUTION DOWN! The World Assembly should be ashamed to recognize and acclaim a dictatorship!

VOTE AGAINST THIS RESOLUTION! FOR THE GOOD OF MANKIND!

Signed,

-Antonio-
Leader of Difiniland
Delegate to the World Assembly for The United Serene Nations

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:11 am

Difiniland wrote:

CORRECT!

With all due respect to Unibotian, who might I add seems to have just as corrupt a government as Starblaydia, there is nothing commendable about Starblaydia...PUT THIS RESOLUTION DOWN! The World Assembly should be ashamed to recognize and acclaim a dictatorship!

Signed,

-Antonio-
Leader of Difiniland

get off the floor!
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:20 am

We shall vote "FOR" this fine resolution, thankful that Flash is currently working the GA floor. I think he would go gaga over games. Damn rubgy player.

Robert Brown, who would rather see an olympic event of single malt drinking and cigar smoking over anything physical.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Difiniland
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Difiniland » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:
Difiniland wrote:
CORRECT!

Signed,

-Antonio-
Leader of Difiniland

get off the floor!

Watch yourself Mahaj WA Seat.
You are a disappointment to the cause of Civil Liberty.
And "get off the floor" does not account for an educated argument...something to consider.

Good day,

-Antonio-
Leader of Difiniland
Hope/Peace/Prosperity

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Difiniland wrote:

CORRECT!

Signed,

-Antonio-
Leader of Difiniland

For the good of mankind? What about all the other species.. or gender for that matter?

With all due respect to Difiniland, (1) The World Assembly is not commending Starblaydia for being a "corrupt government" or a "dictatorship", (2) Starblaydia is a constitutional monarchy with a democratic assembly[1], (3) The General Assembly has passed measures regarding Freedom of Expression and Assembly, and even has a category for the Furtherment of Democracy... but it has never declared an explicit opposition to dictatorial government ... in fact, there does seem to be a justifiable moral reason for dictatorship as a transitory body to evade an even greater threat to the political freedom of an otherwise, stable democracy.

Difiniland
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Difiniland » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Unibot wrote:
Difiniland wrote:
CORRECT!

Signed,

-Antonio-
Leader of Difiniland

For the good of mankind? What about all the other species.. or gender for that matter?

With all due respect to Difiniland, (1) The World Assembly is not commending Starblaydia for being a "corrupt government" or a "dictatorship", (2) Starblaydia is a constitutional monarchy with a democratic assembly[1], (3) The General Assembly has passed measures regarding Freedom of Expression and Assembly, and even has a category for the Furtherment of Democracy... but it has never declared an explicit opposition to dictatorial government ... in fact, there does seem to be a justifiable moral reason for dictatorship as a transitory body to evade an even greater threat to the political freedom of an otherwise, stable democracy.

"Starblaydia is a constitutional monarchy"? I laugh at the label it has given itself! Just one glance at the nation, one will see that it is "ruled by a dictator" and the the political freedoms and civil liberties are "frightening."

Do what you may with this commendation but I would hope a level-headed reader would refuse to support this proposal because of the face of its corrupt form of government. If the government was civil I would be proud to support its commendation but that is not the case.

-Antonio-
Leader of Difiniland
Hope/Peace/Prosperity

America Liberty
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby America Liberty » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:06 pm

Why must you waste our time with issues like this? It sounds like an ego-booster bill, or maybe somebody lost a bet. I would like to think the World Assembly could conduct more productive bills - Such as, Prohibiting Smoking inside the Assembly buildings during gatherings.. ahm.. http://www.nationstates.net/eireann_fae_wa_mission.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Difiniland wrote:
Unibot wrote:

"Starblaydia is a constitutional monarchy"? I laugh at the label it has given itself! Just one glance at the nation, one will see that it is "ruled by a dictator" and the the political freedoms and civil liberties are "frightening."

Do what you may with this commendation but I would hope a level-headed reader would refuse to support this proposal because of the face of its corrupt form of government. If the government was civil I would be proud to support its commendation but that is not the case.

-Antonio-
Leader of Difiniland
Hope/Peace/Prosperity

Frightening does not necessarily suggest that the Civil Rights are of an awful standard, they may be Frightening Good or Frighteningly Bad.. it all depends on what one is frightened of. Liberty is often a frightening notion to someone who has lived all their life with someone telling them what to think. I've already explained that a dictatorship is most acceptable to salvage liberty in a democratic emergency.. and furthermore your concerns are based on one statistic. NSwiki and Starblaydia's factbook identifies Starblaydia as a constitutional monarchy with a democratic assembly, another census says "dictatorship"... the latter is a questionable census, it uses qualitative descriptions ("frightening"), imprecise definitions and unstated methodology other than some rather unscientific methods like "spending many tedious hours in coffee shops and concert halls", "WA experts studied the ratings of daytime television chat shows", "experts studied the ratings of daytime television chat shows" or most curiously.. "telephoned citizens from all nations at just before dinner time, in a study to determine which populations were the rudest."

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:05 pm

America Liberty wrote:Why must you waste our time with issues like this? It sounds like an ego-booster bill, or maybe somebody lost a bet. I would like to think the World Assembly could conduct more productive bills - Such as, Prohibiting Smoking inside the Assembly buildings during gatherings.. ahm.. http://www.nationstates.net/eireann_fae_wa_mission.

Hhhm.. America Liberty supports a ban on smoking-- how liberal of you. The General Assembly is more appropriate for your suggestion than the Security Council.

Quiris
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quiris » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:56 pm

Upon pondered consideration on commending Starblaydia, we, the peoples of the Republic of Quiris, vote for commending their efforts as a true example nation-state must be.

TannerFrankLand
Envoy

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TannerFrankLand » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:57 pm

As it would turn out, most of my endorsers ended up going against after all. I vote with them.
WA Security Council:
SC #3 ~ Condemn Nazi Europe [SORRY!]
SC #12 ~ Commend Todd McCloud
SC #18 ~ Commend Sedgistan
SC #27 ~ Condemn Unknown
SC #36 ~ Liberate Eastern Europe
SC #51 ~ Commend Fudgetopia
SC #67 ~ Commend Naivetry
SC #71 ~ Repeal Condemn Unknown.
WA General Assembly:
GA #81 ~ Disaster Preparedness Act
GA #105 ~ Preparing For Disasters
GA #164 ~ Consular Rights
GA #278 ~ Repeal "Right to Privacy"
Security Council Fanatic
Delegate of St Abbaddon,
Member of the Council of State of Balder,
Former delegate of The South Pacific,
Topid

No Depression
Civilian

Founded: Dec 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby No Depression » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:04 am

Against. I do not commend dictatorships.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:28 am

Difiniland wrote:"Starblaydia is a constitutional monarchy"? I laugh at the label it has given itself! Just one glance at the nation, one will see that it is "ruled by a dictator" and the the political freedoms and civil liberties are "frightening."

-Antonio-
Leader of Difiniland
Hope/Peace/Prosperity

"Newbs..."
:palm:

"Listen, here's some friendly advice:
"1. Don't shout.
"2. Don't take the World Survey's reports as gospel truth, because it certainly makes mistakes: After all, it fails to recognise that
Bears Armed doesn't have a national government at all when we certainly do, claims that our population is over nine billion although the true figure is actually just below nineteen million, and mistakes our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies' -- which are generally respected, not "feared" as it asserts -- for nothing more than 'biker gangs'... Oh, and today it's claiming that we have nationally-set 'income tax', too, which is outright wrong...
"3. Don't shout."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
Chairbear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.

OOC: For your information, it is generally considered acceptable for people to RP their nations as differing in various ways from how the game's decidely simplistic programming describes those countries, and trying to insist that the descriptions must be taken as completely accurate just makes you look foolish...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:30 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: For your information, it is generally considered acceptable for people to RP their nations as differing in various ways from how the game's decidely simplistic programming describes those countries, and trying to insist that the descriptions must be taken as completely accurate just makes you look foolish...

And as you must know because I do (and I know very little about RP), there is also a smaller group of roleplayers that do roleplay based on what the game gives them, and they will not ignore it.

Is it not just as foolish to insist that this information must be ignored and only IC posts be considered just because one form of roleplay is more popular?
EDIT:
Bears is right on the other point though, etiquette online says it is rude to bold or underline or caplock entire lines or sentences because it is usually used to indicate shouting or anger. It is better just to do it to one or two words for emphasis like my post above.
Last edited by Topid on Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Weed

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:39 am

Topid wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:OOC: For your information, it is generally considered acceptable for people to RP their nations as differing in various ways from how the game's decidely simplistic programming describes those countries, and trying to insist that the descriptions must be taken as completely accurate just makes you look foolish...

And as you must know because I do (and I know very little about RP), there is also a smaller group of roleplayers that do roleplay based on what the game gives them, and they will not ignore it.

Is it not just as foolish to insist that this information must be ignored and only IC posts be considered just because one form of roleplay is more popular?

When one is talking about a nation in the context of RP (which this proposal's subject matter basically is), shouldn't one do so according to the manner in which it that nation actually is RPed?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives