NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Essential Medication Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:51 am

Bears Armed wrote:But we haven't started a food-fight, this time around, yet!

(emphasis added)

Ambassador Eberhart reaches beneath his desk and removes something from beneath his desk and quickly tosses a honey pie in the direction of his esteemed colleague from Bears Armed.

Oh, Mister Bear, one would think you would know better than to invoke the ever-dangerous "yet" in this chamber .....

(OOC: I'm off to work shortly, but I'm very encourages with how the voting is going, and I remain optimistic that this proposal will pass with strong support in a few hours. Many thanks, in advance, to all individuals who have voted in favor of this proposal. I'll have further comments later tonight after the voting ends ... however, I have a loooooong shift at work today, so I will not be home until much later.)

Yours in food fighting,
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:56 am

Vinage wrote:At which point did we ever wish for this to become a round of insults, do not present your nation to be above ours. We maybe new and small, but our Nation is proud of its traditional value. So remove your Imperialistic attitude show in your willingness to "accept" our people in an attempt to usurp power from our Government's right.

I, again, propose the idea of a new committee of five that can be decided by an independent judicature which can discuss this matter in more appropriate surroundings before presenting it to vote. Since we have all witnessed the poor level of behaviour here, this law will be remembered as being the "The Sprinklers Turned On And Soaked Women Law" rather than what you wish it to be remembered for. Do the right thing, call it off, and have it properly debated.

OOC: My "insults" were comments, in character, from my national ambassador. That's common practice around here during debate - not necessarily insults, but they certainly occur with some frequency as well.

Further, what you "want" is seriously not possible, on any number of levels.

"A committee of five" cannot be added to the proposal after the fact - amendments are illegal. Further, such a committee would be staffed by gnomes, which ... wouldn't accomplish much anyhow, in terms of changing the proposal's effect.

Your request that I "call it off and have it properly debated" is also not possible. Once a proposal is up to a vote, it cannot be removed from the floor. This is true even if a proposal is found to be illegal - which this one is not.

(If you are aware of all of these things and were speaking as one ambassador to another, sorry - let me know, and I'll respond IC. I saw that your nation was recently founded, and I wanted to correct any misconceptions you might have about the WA.)
Proud Member of UNOG

Jesoland
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jesoland » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:40 am

Distinguished Ambassador of Mousebumples,

We thank you for your answer.

If you're attempting to call "duplication," I'd appreciate details about what "previous intervention" I am being accused of duplicating. Because, to my knowledge, there's nothing in the list of previously passed WA resolutions that would cover this same material, as written here.

With the words "previous intervention" we meant that other nation's doubts about the resolution were the same (say, who could state whether a drug is a MED or not) as ours. (OOC: Probably the misunderstanding was due to the fact that I think in Italian, and in Italian intervento means both intervention and speech, so I meant that other people asked the same thing)

Despite you clarified our questions, we deem that the position of Vineage and Aranoff suits better the orientation of our national government.

Thanks everybody for the useful debate (but not for having smoked me!)
Last edited by Jesoland on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kingdom of Jesoland
Constitutional Monarchy
State religion: Catholicism
Official Language(s): Latin, English, Italian
Head of State: HM Francis I Bonaga
Head of Government: The RtHon Joseph The Earl of Spinus (DC)

Legislature: Congress
Upper house: Senate of the Reign
  • Appointed by King
  • Nonpartisan (formally)
  • 50 members, 30 from aristocracy and 20 from clergy
  • Exclusive jurisdiction on matters of dynastic
  • Mandatory advisory jurisdiction over House's proposals
  • Ecclesiastic court
  • Supreme court
Lower house: House of Representatives
  • Elected by universal suffrage
  • Multi-party sistem. Current majority: Christian Democracy (centrist), Christian-Social Party (center-left), Liberal Party (center-right), Monarchic Constitutional Party (center-right)
  • Responsible house

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:07 am

Mousebumples wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:But we haven't started a food-fight, this time around, yet!

(emphasis added)

Ambassador Eberhart reaches beneath his desk and removes something from beneath his desk and quickly tosses a honey pie in the direction of his esteemed colleague from Bears Armed.

Oh, Mister Bear, one would think you would know better than to invoke the ever-dangerous "yet" in this chamber .....

*(tries to catch pie before it hits)*

*(fails)*

*(looks down ruefully at now-stained Barmani suit)*

*(reaches into desk, pulls out a Sussex Pond Pudding, and retaliates)*
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:10 am

Vinage wrote:staring at the women caught under the sprinkling system.

Bob looks up from the women under the sprinklers. "I'm sorry, were you saying something?"

Vinage
Attaché

Founded: Dec 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vinage » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:54 am

[OOC: Yes, I do know that. Please do respond with something IC. Also my ambassador was calling them insults not me, if I am to say something OOC it would be done like the. Also the proposed changes the Ambassador of Vinage asked for are Roleplay possibilities - you could probably even contact someone in Admin and be like 'I need it pulled down for reason X, Y & Z' and then start a new forum note with a committee debating it and people joining in when permitted [depending on who chaired the committee]]

Ambassador, I believe you do not understand what we mean. The committee of five we asked for is to be done outside of this proposal we are voting on, and the vote to be put off.

Also, on the grounds of what we have witnessed here with the behaviour of some Ambassadors, surely this vote can be counted null on the ground of inappropriate behaviour. Especially when the Ambassador who presented the new law themselves join in, stopping any ability to actually have a meaningful debate.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:06 am

In the halls of Parliament, the nation's law-makers looked at the resolution now put before them. Expected to reconcile national law with the resolution, they did what was required: nothing!

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:35 am

We are highly gratified by the passage of this resolution. The CSKU congratulates the authors of this fine and highly timely measure.

Even as we speak there has been a massive upsurge in international demand for Urgenchi Dew Drugs, the Yorta corporation which produces these miraculous medicines capable of quadrupling human lifespans, effectively immunising human beings from all communicable diseases, and famed for having eradicated Cancer and other terminal diseases and most other human ailments and conditions while totally preventing the effects of the passage of time upon the body, has reported a 600% increase in orders.

Yours,
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Corporation de Apple
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Congrats

Postby Corporation de Apple » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:40 am

Love the act congrats man!
The Hand of Thrawnn
Former things in Osiris
Frisbeeteria wrote:
Albul wrote:Everyone has said what they needed and now no one is saying anything relevant to the topic.

That describes pretty much every topic ever posted in NSG.

Drenetharada
Attaché

Founded: Dec 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Drenetharada » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:42 pm

I agree with it, but I got a message saying I am not in compliance but I follow everything my civil rights are a world benchmark. I belive the only laws I made was that euthanasia is legal along with drugs. Whats wrong with that?

Azaca
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Azaca » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:58 pm

Laws have been enacted to bring the Armed Republic of Azaca into compliance with the World Assembly resolution "Essential Medication Act".
what does this mean?
Read before talking to me. Important.
I am a loudmouth /b/tard metalhead with a sick and dark type of humor and quite frankly I don't wanna hear about your opinion of me nor do I care very much whether or not what I do is morally wrong. I am a positive nihilist, which means I believe the universe has no purpose, but that doesn't mean we can't have fun with it.
Politically incorrect till the day I die
Also a proud and high-functioning schizophrenic
  ▲
▲ ▲
Senior positive person of NS. Go on, try me, nothing you can do can bring me down.
Threat Level: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Pop: 41,625,438
Leader: Olav Esko
Military: 780,702

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Vinage wrote:[OOC: Yes, I do know that. Please do respond with something IC. Also my ambassador was calling them insults not me, if I am to say something OOC it would be done like the. Also the proposed changes the Ambassador of Vinage asked for are Roleplay possibilities - you could probably even contact someone in Admin and be like 'I need it pulled down for reason X, Y & Z' and then start a new forum note with a committee debating it and people joining in when permitted [depending on who chaired the committee]]

OOC: Admin will not pull an active vote from the floor for any reason. Even if they can do it, they won't. (And there has been good reason to do so in the past, with illegal proposals making it to vote.)

OOC2: Committees, officially, cannot be run by member nations for any WA proposals. "Non-Canon" committees can be created to RP various WA committees, but they are unofficial and any decisions they reach are non-binding, per rule. Also, I don't participate much in those RP forums, so that's not anything I'd have an interest in exploring.

Vinage wrote:Ambassador, I believe you do not understand what we mean. The committee of five we asked for is to be done outside of this proposal we are voting on, and the vote to be put off.

Also, on the grounds of what we have witnessed here with the behaviour of some Ambassadors, surely this vote can be counted null on the ground of inappropriate behaviour. Especially when the Ambassador who presented the new law themselves join in, stopping any ability to actually have a meaningful debate.

IC: Your Excellency, I'm afraid that the proposal vote could not be "put off," as the Secretariat has never halted a vote in her storied history at the helm for the WA or its predecessor.

Further, I see no reason to need to defend my behavior in this chamber to you or your delegation. You are neither my mother nor my superiors (nor the Secretariat ... *shudders in fright* ) - why should I allow your antiquated, moralistic opinion to alter my behavior with my colleagues and friends here?

Honestly, I think you may be in need of a pie to the face to help you lighten up a bit. However, since you're more likely to grump about it than to join in the fun, I'll save this pie for myself. It's time for a celebration, tonight!
Proud Member of UNOG

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:52 pm

Drenetharada wrote:I agree with it, but I got a message saying I am not in compliance but I follow everything my civil rights are a world benchmark. I belive the only laws I made was that euthanasia is legal along with drugs. Whats wrong with that?

Azaca wrote:Laws have been enacted to bring the Armed Republic of Azaca into compliance with the World Assembly resolution "Essential Medication Act".
what does this mean?

OOC: Whenever a new GA proposal passes, you will get a telegram from the World Assembly Compliance Commission, stating, "Laws have been enacted to bring {your nation name} into compliance with the World Assembly resolution "Proposal Name".

This is an automated message, and results in the compliance gnomes ensuring that your nation is compliant with the passed resolution. Drenetharada - receiving this TG doesn't mean that you weren't already in compliance - you can view it as the Compliance Gnomes checking your laws to make sure you are compliant, if you'd like.

Urgench wrote:Even as we speak there has been a massive upsurge in international demand for Urgenchi Dew Drugs, the Yorta corporation which produces these miraculous medicines capable of quadrupling human lifespans, effectively immunising human beings from all communicable diseases, and famed for having eradicated Cancer and other terminal diseases and most other human ailments and conditions while totally preventing the effects of the passage of time upon the body, has reported a 600% increase in orders.

Hrm, only 600%? Don't worry - I'm sure that will increase more as more nations are made aware of the wonders of these medicines. (I've received word that my nation's stock is running low, so you should get a reorder request from us shortly ... )

Corporation de Apple wrote:Love the act congrats man!

Many thanks to you, and allllll the other nations and ambassadors that voted in support of this proposal! I wasn't sure what sort of response there would be to this sort of proposal as there's little past record/WA precedence to look at. Not only did this proposal pass - it did so with flying colors!

I'd like to give a special thanks to the ambassador from Quelesh for assistance in simplifying the proposal text and removing the unnecessary committee structure. Also, many thanks to all the other ambassadors who aided in the drafting and editing (and proofreading!) of this proposal. Further thanks, of course, to the delegates who approved it and for all who voted in favor.

Yours in endless thanks,
Proud Member of UNOG

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:59 pm

C'mon, everybody! Congratulatory blunt PARTY!!!!!

*throws packets of weed all over the Assembly chamber*
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:41 am

Vinage wrote:Also, on the grounds of what we have witnessed here with the behaviour of some Ambassadors, surely this vote can be counted null on the ground of inappropriate behaviour.

"No defenstrations, no challenges to duels, no car-chases through the Assembly Chamber, no returning ambassadors decapitating their temporary replacements, no circuses passing through, no attempts at suicide-bombing, no fires started, no aerial dogfight between 'the Red Baron' and a funny-looking dog, and no foulmouthed dolphins: It's been quite restrained, by our 'historical' standards, hrreally...."

^_^
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives