NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend The Cat-Tribe

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Whoa, this thing turned into a de facto Condemnation of Christian Democrats . . . Sneaky Unibotian bastards. Opposed.

^ This.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Kulaloe
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kulaloe » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:24 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Whoa, this thing turned into a de facto Condemnation of Christian Democrats . . . Sneaky Unibotian bastards. Opposed.

^ This.

Indeed. While TCT completely destroyed one of my proposals by "proving" that it was a borderline duplication of an existing one (my personal interpretation of TCT and Ard's ruling) I am in favour of a comendation of TCT. However, I feel that CD should not have been named speciffically as the "bad guy" in this resolution, so I am therefore opposed to this. If you want to condemn Christian Democrats then do so seperately. Oh wait, CD has not done anything that legally can be condemned without breaking the ideology suppression rule! If you want to condemn a pro-lifer then condemn MY country since we have actually done some evil things before in the past!
It's pronounced koo-LAH-loy
My currency works like the yen, please do not think my storefront prices are extortionate.
Kulaloe's NSwiki Page|Kulaloe's Foreign Legion UDL Member
Remember kids: It's only fun 'til YOU lose an eye!

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Kulaloe wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:^ This.

Indeed. While TCT completely destroyed one of my proposals by "proving" that it was a borderline duplication of an existing one (my personal interpretation of TCT and Ard's ruling) I am in favour of a comendation of TCT. However, I feel that CD should not have been named speciffically as the "bad guy" in this resolution, so I am therefore opposed to this. If you want to condemn Christian Democrats then do so seperately. Oh wait, CD has not done anything that legally can be condemned without breaking the ideology suppression rule! If you want to condemn a pro-lifer then condemn MY country since we have actually done some evil things before in the past!

The resolution says TCT countered Christian Democrats during the resurgence of the Abortion debate, I don't think the resolution is criticizing CD for being anti-abortion, it is commending TCT for making sure that the debate ended swiftly with a constructive end which often Abortion debates do not.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:38 pm

I generally want to stay out of this, but wanted to make two points:

1. Despite things that may have been said in the "heat of battle," Christian Democrats and I have a mutual respect, I openly opposed attempts in the SC to condemn him, and I openly praised him in the WA after the abortion kerfluffle was over. I didn't write this proposal, but I am sorry that some seem to feel it attacks CD. I am especially sorry that CD feels that way. I never read it that way. If for no other reason than not to cause offense, the proposal probably should not have mentioned CD by name (although I think it did so primarily to reference a specific set of events that WA members would recall).

2. That said. Can someone point out what about the following language actually (a) condemns CD, (b) even criticizes CD, and/or (c) is inaccurate?

BEARING IN MIND that the nominee recently returned to the hallowed halls of the World Assembly to ardently counter Christian Democrats and several of its allies during a resurgence of the Abortion debate in the World Assembly. The Cat-Tribe's presence in the debate was instrumental --alongside several other actors-- in establishing a compelling case against numerous prohibitive abortion proposals and an attempted repeal of GA#128,
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:44 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:I generally want to stay out of this, but wanted to make two points:

1. Despite things that may have been said in the "heat of battle," Christian Democrats and I have a mutual respect, I openly opposed attempts in the SC to condemn him, and I openly praised him in the WA after the abortion kerfluffle was over. I didn't write this proposal, but I am sorry that some seem to feel it attacks CD. I am especially sorry that CD feels that way. I never read it that way. If for no other reason than not to cause offense, the proposal probably should not have mentioned CD by name (although I think it did so primarily to reference a specific set of events that WA members would recall).

2. That said. Can someone point out what about the following language actually (a) condemns CD, (b) even criticizes CD, and/or (c) is inaccurate?

BEARING IN MIND that the nominee recently returned to the hallowed halls of the World Assembly to ardently counter Christian Democrats and several of its allies during a resurgence of the Abortion debate in the World Assembly. The Cat-Tribe's presence in the debate was instrumental --alongside several other actors-- in establishing a compelling case against numerous prohibitive abortion proposals and an attempted repeal of GA#128,

I think some could assume that it implies that CD's proposal was prohibitive.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:I generally want to stay out of this, but wanted to make two points:

I think some could assume that it implies that CD's proposal was prohibitive.

It was prohibitive....
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Unibot II wrote:
Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Whoa, this thing turned into a de facto Condemnation of Christian Democrats without my even noticing. Sneaky Unibotian bastards. Opposed.

Alas, I have to claim it went without notice from me either. The mere contrast between people we approved and people we disprove of, is a contrast, not necessarily condemnation/commendation. See "Condemn Greater Tez" for an example of the inverse circumstance, where people we approved of are given recognition during a condemnation of someone else.

There is the issue as to why after complaining about all the abortion proposals coming up for vote in the GA -- even after Charlotte's "compromise" draft passed -- you would bring the subject up yet again, in a Security Council resolution, no less? If the GA's debates are so corrosive that they eventually find their way into SC debates as well, it doesn't say much for either branch. Not to mention the chilling effect it would have on the normal free exchange of ideas in the GA if legislators can expect their opponents to use the SC to gripe about them -- or in this case, gloat over their defeat. In the GA the tradition has always been for new players to learn from their mistakes and move on, and hopefully in the process become better players; but they're not going to learn much if it also becomes requisite for them to continue to defend their past regrets in future SC pissing contests. The main lesson to take from this is, there already is a preferred forum for hammering out GA political disputes: the GA forum, and if it becomes habit for players to circumvent the normal political process by pestering SC with previously concluded GA matters, you can be sure the mods will be only to happy to amend Rule 2.

(...Or maybe I should have just posted that old "beating a dead horse" card? :unsure:)
Last edited by Omigodtheykilledkenny on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:19 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Unibot II wrote:Alas, I have to claim it went without notice from me either. The mere contrast between people we approved and people we disprove of, is a contrast, not necessarily condemnation/commendation. See "Condemn Greater Tez" for an example of the inverse circumstance, where people we approved of are given recognition during a condemnation of someone else.

There is the issue as to why after complaining about all the abortion proposals coming up for vote in the GA -- even after Charlotte's "compromise" draft passed -- you would bring the subject up yet again, in a Security Council resolution, no less? If the GA's debates are so corrosive that they eventually find their way into SC debates as well, it doesn't say much for either branch. Not to mention the chilling effect it would have on the normal free exchange of ideas in the GA if legislators can expect their opponents to use the SC to gripe about them -- or in this case, gloat over their defeat. In the GA the tradition has always been for new players to learn from their mistakes and move on, and hopefully in the process become better players; but they're not going to learn much if it also becomes requisite for them to continue to defend their past regrets in future SC pissing contests. The main lesson to take from this is, there already is a preferred forum for hammering out GA political disputes: the GA forum, and if it becomes habit for players to circumvent the normal political process by pestering SC with previously concluded GA matters, you can be sure the mods will be only to happy to amend Rule 2.

(...Or maybe I should have just posted that old "beating a dead horse" card? :unsure:)

Um... Kenny. I think you're griping about something that doesn't exist in the resolution purely to gripe about something. There is no 'gloating over someone's defeat', TCT handled that debate extremely well, and hence it was included in the commendation.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:53 am

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:I think some could assume that it implies that CD's proposal was prohibitive.

A pointless point to make, since it's a fact CD's proposal was more extreme than other proposals.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:06 am

Unibot II wrote:Um... Kenny. I think you're griping about something that doesn't exist in the resolution purely to gripe about something.

No, I really don't think I am. :roll:
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:09 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Unibot II wrote:Um... Kenny. I think you're griping about something that doesn't exist in the resolution purely to gripe about something.

No, I really don't think I am. :roll:

That was regarding two different topics.. Kenny.. you're grasping at straws. Gay Marriage and Abortion, are, as far as I know, two different subjects.

Jedi8246
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi8246 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:02 pm

Sorry, but Cat-Tribe does not deserve this.
Official Member of the Fall of Gods RP Council
Conservative Morality wrote:When you call Bieber feminine, you insult all women.

Agadar wrote:Next thing you know, God turns out to be some weird green space monster with tentacles and a monocle.

Khadgar wrote:Oddly enough, a lot of people who are plotting to harm other people aren't really interested in legal niceties.
Rank #87 in World Cup
Factbook
Jedi8246 is a far-right social libertarian. He is also a non-interventionist and somewhat culturally conservative. Jedi8246's scores (from 0 to 10):
Economic issues: +9.53 right
Social issues: -7.91 libertarian
Foreign policy: -7.32 non-interventionist
Cultural identification: +0.92 conservative

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:29 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:I think some could assume that it implies that CD's proposal was prohibitive.

A pointless point to make, since it's a fact CD's proposal was more extreme than other proposals.

:eyebrow:

I still don't see how this was extreme:
Christian Democrats wrote:Defense of Life Act

Council: General Assembly
Category: Moral Decency
Strength: Significant

----------------------------
THE WORLD ASSEMBLY

DEFINING pregnancy as the condition of carrying a developing offspring within the body,

DEFINING viability as a developing offspring's ability to survive outside of the body of another living organism,

DEFINING limit of viability as the gestational age at which a developing offspring has a fifty percent chance of being viable,

DEFINING abortion as the intentional termination of a pregnancy resulting in the end of biological functions in a developing offspring,

DEFINING late-term abortion as abortion that occurs when a developing offspring is older than the limit of viability, is able to feel pain, has substantial mental activity, and has consciousness of existence,

RECOGNIZING that many World Assembly member states have legalized abortion and that many nations neglect to regulate abortion,

ENCOURAGING those pregnant carefully to consider decisions related to their reproductive health,

ACKNOWLEDGING that some abortions are not covered by existing legislation protecting patients' access to necessary and beneficial medical procedures,

BELIEVING there is a "compelling practical purpose" in protecting developing offspring late in pregnancies, and

BELIEVING there is a "compelling practical puropose" to regulate late-term abortions because of grave risks posed to the life and health of those undergoing such procedures,

HEREBY

DIRECTS member states to prohibit late-term abortion, except when such an abortion is performed because a pregnancy itself or continuance of a pregnancy poses an immediate and significant threat to a pregnant individual's life or health, there is a severe abnormality in a pregnancy, a developing offspring is believed to have severe defects, or a developing offspring provably was conceived because of illegal sexual activity,

REQUIRES surgical abortions to be performed by qualified physicians,

RECOGNIZES an individual's right to refuse to perform or participate in abortions because of personal beliefs,

PROTECTS such individuals, as mentioned in the preceding clause, from being penalized in any way for their beliefs,

ESTABLISHES the International Abortion Regulatory Board (IARB) to determine when a developing offspring must receive protection under the provisions of this resolution, to provide oversight and ensure that legal abortions are performed safely, and to collect and report to member states data about abortion,

AFFIRMS that the time during which a developing offspring must receive protection, as determined by IARB, must be uniform internationally for a given species or subspecies,

DISCOURAGES sex-selective abortion,

DISCOURAGES intact dilation and extraction, sometimes called partial birth abortion,

ALLOWS those pregnant to induce labor unless such induction is part of an attempted illegal abortion,

AFFIRMS that the definitions of this resolution are only for the purposes of this resolution,

AFFIRMS that this resolution creates only minimal restrictions and does not prevent member states from imposing additional or stronger restrictions on abortion so long as such restrictions comply with other World Assembly resolutions, and

AFFIRMS that this resolution does not prevent the World Assembly from further leglislating with regard to abortion.

An abortion ban beginning at 30 weeks isn't that radical, especially considering the number of exceptions that were provided.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:38 pm

CD, this thread is not about your resolution, but whether or not the Cat-Tribe deserves a commendation for handling the debate with professionalism and dedication, his posts were well constructed and researched.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:43 pm

Unibot II wrote:CD, this thread is not about your resolution [sic]

Actually, you made it about my proposals when you included this clause:
BEARING IN MIND that the nominee recently returned to the hallowed halls of the World Assembly to ardently counter Christian Democrats and several of its allies during a resurgence of the Abortion debate in the World Assembly. The Cat-Tribe's presence in the debate was instrumental --alongside several other actors-- in establishing a compelling case against numerous prohibitive abortion proposals and an attempted repeal of GA#128

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Unibotian WA Mission
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WA Mission » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:52 pm

BEARING IN MIND that the nominee recently returned to the hallowed halls of the World Assembly to ardently counter Christian Democrats and several of its allies during a resurgence of the Abortion debate in the World Assembly. The Cat-Tribe's presence in the debate was instrumental --alongside several other actors-- in establishing a compelling case against numerous prohibitive abortion proposals and an attempted repeal of GA#128

Do you deny that (1) The Cat-Tribe countered you in the debate, or that (2) your proposal was generally prohibitive of abortion... and there were many other drafts in the same boat that The Cat-Tribe countered?

I am certain those are both factual statements, but perhaps you see it as otherwise.
Last edited by Unibotian WA Mission on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Halcones wrote: Look up to Unibot as an example.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:47 am

Christian Democrats wrote:An abortion ban beginning at 30 weeks isn't that radical, especially considering the number of exceptions that were provided.

Oh, right, forgot... Keyword is COMPARED to the other proposals, yours was extreme.

Yours is the only one that imposes any sort of time restriction concerning abortion.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:39 am

CD, you're a great nation and all that but you are definitely wrong here on this one. The first sentence refers to "debate" in general. The second clause specifies "numerous" proposals. I do not think you confined your debate to only your own proposal nor is in any shape or form clear that your specific proposal was among the numerous proposals so defined. Even so, I don't see why "prohibitive" proposals count as a condenation. Yes, you got singled out and not your allies. Frankly, I think your allies should be the ones pissed for not getting proper billing.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

WOW! Thank you all! (no. 2)

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:14 pm

I want to thank the entire NS community for this honor. It is most flattering and truly appreciated. 8)

Special thanks to Unibot for writing and sheparding to passage this Commendation. :bow:

Thanks to all of you who have supported me and/or congratulated me. :clap:

I also want to thank those who, in the threads leading up to this, have provided constructive criticism. I am trying to take it to heart (although I can't promise success). I also note the number who voted against this -- some of whom have informed me why -- and I appreciate their views. I know I'm already pompous, so I'll try to keep this from making me worse. :eyebrow:

Also, thanks to Christian Democrats for acting with dignity and honor in a difficult situation. My respect continues and grows.

Anyway, before I get teary-eyed and start bleating "you like me," I'll stop with a final thanks to you all. :hug:
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Unibotian WA Mission
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WA Mission » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks TCT. For all those not in the know, the commendation party has already start in NSG! Whoo.
General Halcones wrote: Look up to Unibot as an example.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:47 am

The Cat-Tribe wrote:I want to thank the entire NS community for this honor. It is most flattering and truly appreciated. 8)

Special thanks to Unibot for writing and sheparding to passage this Commendation. :bow:

Thanks to all of you who have supported me and/or congratulated me. :clap:

I also want to thank those who, in the threads leading up to this, have provided constructive criticism. I am trying to take it to heart (although I can't promise success). I also note the number who voted against this -- some of whom have informed me why -- and I appreciate their views. I know I'm already pompous, so I'll try to keep this from making me worse. :eyebrow:

Also, thanks to Christian Democrats for acting with dignity and honor in a difficult situation. My respect continues and grows.

Anyway, before I get teary-eyed and start bleating "you like me," I'll stop with a final thanks to you all. :hug:

What can be said?

Uni is a great proposal writer and you deserved it. :?

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives