NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Reducing Problem Gambling

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:27 am

Calmerica wrote:The HK already educates its citizens at a young age of both the pros and the cons of gambling. Gambling is one of the biggest Calmerican industries, and we will not waste more money on education. AGAINST.

Same here. You are already compliant with the resolution, then. Where does it say you have to spend more money? I struggle to think why you would oppose a resolution that supports what you are already doing.

Ambassador Aram Koopman
World Assembly representative for the Dutch Democratic Republic of Knootoss
Last edited by Knootoss on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Calmerica
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Calmerica » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:33 am

If we are already doing this, and this resolution makes me set up additional education, thats a waste of my time and resources.
Enadia ¦ Calmerica ¦ Enadia Discord
Economic Left/Right: 2.00 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.50
Alternate History
Cartographers Guild
Selective Constitutionalism
CDAR: [5] 4 3 2 1
Libertas of Calmerica
Chancellor: Ivan Moldavi (2006)
Population: 23,310,340
Military: 835,000 (200,000 reserve)

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:45 am

It doesn't mandate that you have to set up anything new.

Ambassador Aram Koopman

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Calmerica
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Calmerica » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:49 am

Hmm...reading over that I realize this now. Must have misread that the first time through. I disagree with number three, as we should be able to promote gambling however we'd like, but I think I'm reversing my vote.
Alternate History
Cartographers Guild
Libertas of Calmerica

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:49 am

Brilliant. Thank you.

Ambassador Aram Koopman

The Coyote Coalition
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Coyote Coalition » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 am

To: The Representative of Knootoss

Our primary concern here isn't an issue of supporting or opposing fraudulent advertising. Our primary concern is that of the World Assembly mandating that member nations deal with problems that are, frankly, personal (that is, issues of individual citizens) and involve a citizen using proper, reasonable restraint. While some might view gambling addiction as a "disease", fundamentally it comes down to an individual showing said level of restraint. Additionally, I don't approve of the World Assembly placing needless restrictions on the Incorporated States of the Coyote Coalition's banking industry.
Eustace Levi, Managing Director of the Adhocracy of the Coyote Coalition.

Eireann Fae WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae WA Mission » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:40 am

The Coyote Coalition wrote:To: The Representative of Knootoss

Our primary concern here isn't an issue of supporting or opposing fraudulent advertising. Our primary concern is that of the World Assembly mandating that member nations deal with problems that are, frankly, personal (that is, issues of individual citizens) and involve a citizen using proper, reasonable restraint. While some might view gambling addiction as a "disease", fundamentally it comes down to an individual showing said level of restraint. Additionally, I don't approve of the World Assembly placing needless restrictions on the Incorporated States of the Coyote Coalition's banking industry.

"Torture only has a detrimental effect on the particular person being tortured, Ambassador, but the Assembly has passed laws regarding that. Education can be a personal thing - I was home-schooled - yet we have a resolution in place to ensure a good one to every WA citizen. National sovereignty is not a good enough excuse to lash out against anything the World Assembly does, Ambassador. By virtue of joining this body, you have agreed to comply with the laws laid out herein, whether they are actually international in scope or not." Alexandra wonders if this is the most professional she's ever been with no Faeries around. She certainly thinks so, at least. "Also, you're a fucking asshole if you don't think being addicted to gambling is a real problem. Common fucking sense says all forms of addiction are a disease, you jackass!"

Well, so much for that...
"An it harm none, do what ye will"
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.” -C. S. Lewis
Click here for a list of existing resolutions!

The Coyote Coalition
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Coyote Coalition » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:23 am

To: The Representative of the Eireann Fae WA Mission

Eireann Fae WA Mission wrote:
"Torture only has a detrimental effect on the particular person being tortured, Ambassador, but the Assembly has passed laws regarding that. Education can be a personal thing - I was home-schooled - yet we have a resolution in place to ensure a good one to every WA citizen. National sovereignty is not a good enough excuse to lash out against anything the World Assembly does, Ambassador. By virtue of joining this body, you have agreed to comply with the laws laid out herein, whether they are actually international in scope or not." Alexandra wonders if this is the most professional she's ever been with no Faeries around. She certainly thinks so, at least. "Also, you're a fucking asshole if you don't think being addicted to gambling is a real problem. Common fucking sense says all forms of addiction are a disease, you jackass!"

Well, so much for that...

Unfortunately, Alexandra, torture victims are, in general, unable to prevent torture through the application of restraint and common sense. Human Rights violations are one matter, dealing with citizens who are unable to administer proper restraint is another entirely. As for agreeing to comply to the laws laid out by the World Assembly, you are absolutely correct, although, that agreement doesn't require myself, the Board of Directors of the Incorporated States of the Coyote Coalition or her citizens to muzzle our complaints or objections, particularly for an issue that's currently up for vote.

Concerning muzzles, perhaps it would be wise to travel properly equipped? It could help the little problem children that seem to hound you.

That noted, there is a point to be made through the haze of expletives. Many addictions, drugs in particular, have a definable physically addictive quality, whereas others do not. Perhaps your... friends?... feel measures should be taken to educate those who devote entirely too much of their lives to Massively Multiplayer Online Game addictions as well? Indeed, a large portion of an individual's capital can and often is devoured through the money-making schemes many of these games implement. Additionally, family and friends often show concern if these individuals begin to dramatically alter their standard social patterns.

Eireann Fae WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae WA Mission » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:38 am

The All-Night Party wrote:Unfortunately, Alexandra, torture victims are, in general, unable to prevent torture through the application of restraint and common sense. Human Rights violations are one matter, dealing with citizens who are unable to administer proper restraint is another entirely. As for agreeing to comply to the laws laid out by the World Assembly, you are absolutely correct, although, that agreement doesn't require myself, the Board of Directors of the Incorporated States of the Coyote Coalition or her citizens to muzzle our complaints or objections, particularly for an issue that's currently up for vote.

Concerning muzzles, perhaps it would be wise to travel properly equipped? It could help the little problem children that seem to hound you.

That noted, there is a point to be made through the haze of expletives. Many addictions, drugs in particular, have a definable physically addictive quality, whereas others do not. Perhaps your... friends?... feel measures should be taken to educate those who devote entirely too much of their lives to Massively Multiplayer Online Game addictions as well? Indeed, a large portion of an individual's capital can and often is devoured through the money-making schemes many of these games implement. Additionally, family and friends often show concern if these individuals begin to dramatically alter their standard social patterns.

"The ones doing the torturing could also show restraint. A child could also refrain from working, and an employer could restrain themselves from sending children to do dangerous jobs, but we have legislation regarding that practice as well. A government could restrain itself from mistreating prisoners of war, yet we have laws for that as well. One could restrain from getting an abortion, but we have a law in place educating citizens about alternatives to abortions and providing services not unlike the ones promoted in this resolution for gambling." Alexandra puts the codex away, apparently getting tired of looking up existing WA resolutions. "I think I'm showing considerable restraint even now in putting this device away, rather than throwing it at you. There are laws saying I shouldn't throw it at you, but I could anyway. Just because people can restrain themselves from destructive behaviour doesn't mean they will always do so. And when they fall into a trap, such as a very real mental addiction, they may need help in getting out of it."

"I hope you have no delusions of muzzling me, Ambassador." Alexandra's tone darkens a bit, the adolescent girl never having been one to subject herself to the whimsical insults of a so-called authority figure. The adult she is addressing seems to be under the mistaken impression that he has some hold over the fourteen-year-old Eireann Fae representative - a notion the honey-hued girl has every intention of destroying. "I have no problem with any child, sir," she says this last word with almost tangible derision. "If you have a problem, perhaps you should try handling it. I have the same freedom as everybody else in this Chamber to speak my mind, and I will do so as it conveniences me. What offends you is of little concern to me. You think I need a muzzle? Maybe you need some ear plugs!"

"Anyway," she goes on, lightening up a little, "addiction is not merely the body relying on a substance, Ambassador. It can just as easily be an affliction of the mind. I don't know what a Massively Multiplayer Online Game is, but if it has the detrimental effects you attribute to it, I believe those that suffer such an affliction should be helped. I would like to see people get help for all forms of addiction, including drugs (of which I partake quite often), and including gambling." She trails off shortly after this point, but can be heard muttering something about 'altruism' and 'underrated'...
"An it harm none, do what ye will"
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.” -C. S. Lewis
Click here for a list of existing resolutions!

The Coyote Coalition
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Coyote Coalition » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:32 am

To: The Representative of the Eireann Fae WA Mission

Eireann Fae WA Mission wrote:"The ones doing the torturing could also show restraint. A child could also refrain from working, and an employer could restrain themselves from sending children to do dangerous jobs, but we have legislation regarding that practice as well. A government could restrain itself from mistreating prisoners of war, yet we have laws for that as well. One could restrain from getting an abortion, but we have a law in place educating citizens about alternatives to abortions and providing services not unlike the ones promoted in this resolution for gambling." Alexandra puts the codex away, apparently getting tired of looking up existing WA resolutions. "I think I'm showing considerable restraint even now in putting this device away, rather than throwing it at you. There are laws saying I shouldn't throw it at you, but I could anyway. Just because people can restrain themselves from destructive behaviour doesn't mean they will always do so. And when they fall into a trap, such as a very real mental addiction, they may need help in getting out of it."

"I hope you have no delusions of muzzling me, Ambassador." Alexandra's tone darkens a bit, the adolescent girl never having been one to subject herself to the whimsical insults of a so-called authority figure. The adult she is addressing seems to be under the mistaken impression that he has some hold over the fourteen-year-old Eireann Fae representative - a notion the honey-hued girl has every intention of destroying. "I have no problem with any child, sir," she says this last word with almost tangible derision. "If you have a problem, perhaps you should try handling it. I have the same freedom as everybody else in this Chamber to speak my mind, and I will do so as it conveniences me. What offends you is of little concern to me. You think I need a muzzle? Maybe you need some ear plugs!"

"Anyway," she goes on, lightening up a little, "addiction is not merely the body relying on a substance, Ambassador. It can just as easily be an affliction of the mind. I don't know what a Massively Multiplayer Online Game is, but if it has the detrimental effects you attribute to it, I believe those that suffer such an affliction should be helped. I would like to see people get help for all forms of addiction, including drugs (of which I partake quite often), and including gambling." She trails off shortly after this point, but can be heard muttering something about 'altruism' and 'underrated'...

Initially, I'd like clarify, it wasn't my intention to offend, so much as display that respectful debate is a stance that we, as representatives of our nations, should adopt as our default position and such stances can shift when confronted with unchecked aggression. That being said, Wendy Granger, Chairwoman of the Coalition Public Relations Committee, would like to offer a formal apology.

Now, pleasantries aside....

You're point, Alexandra, while interesting, only marginally relates to the issue at hand. Choosing to inflict harm on others is entirely different from choosing to do harm to oneself. The issue that does relate, of course, would be the matter of abortion education and I'd like to note that I also disagree with these measures, believing that, instead, individual nations should make their own choices when it comes to education concerning such a delicate and very private choice.

Another issue you've brought to light is that of the poor, trapped souls caught up in mental addictions. Fortunately for these supposedly diseased citizens, there are many existing private support groups in place to assist in these matters. I see little need for government intervention.

On a final note, I lost the right to earplugs the moment the Board of Directors of the Incorporated States of the Coyote Coalition and her citizens voted in support of our entry into the halls of the World Assembly, just as I imagine you lost the right to the aforementioned muzzle when the Eireann Fae WA Mission made the same choice. I daresay that a prescription to some variety of neuroleptic or mild sedative might assist to curb some of your more aggressive tendencies while not diminishing your ability to represent your government and citizens?

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 am

The Rich Port wrote:Games of chance turn into gambling when money is involved... It's not that hard.

Yes, but technically speaking, the equity and futures markets are "exempt" from the term. Everyone knows that futures are by definition a gamble (although futures on options on equity is ... damn I still get confused) and short selling is the worst gamble of all. By the way, so too is political fundraising ... isn't any politician running for office effectively a "gamble?"

What do you mean they are not "games?" They are games, only serious ones.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Latnya
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Latnya » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:28 am

my economy's major industry is gambling so i vote against reducing it.

James McCosh
Secretary

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Reducing Problem Gambling.

Postby James McCosh » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:01 am

This is none of the business of the World Assembly.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:41 am

Latnya wrote:my economy's major industry is gambling so i vote against reducing it.

This is not a reduction in gambling honoured ambassador. the resolution intends to make gambling safer, not smaller.

Also, big disclaimer added at OP for clarification.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crystal Palais
Civil Servant

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Crystal Palais » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:44 am

Knootoss wrote:
Crystal Palais wrote:While true, it is utterly pointless to implement this in any nation that outlaws gambling altogether... it almost sounds like it's a foot in the door to establish the legality of gambling in such places. :palm:

However, Crystal Palais will be abiding by the letter of the law if this passes; we'll just have a toll free number for anyone who wants to dial, admits they have a gambling problem, and wishes to be picked up by the authorities to have this problem dealt with by confessing to their crimes. In fact, we will waive jail time if they agree to testify against anyone who was hosting the gambling and against other willing participants.

"Because we all know that in nations where murder is banned, there is no murder! And in nations where abortion is banned, there are no abortions! Why have preventive policies at all, if you can just give your people a lawbook. Why didn't I think of that?"

The representative from Crystal Palais laughs and comments, "There is not particularly much murder here, no. But when citizens can legally carry concealed weapons... well, let's just say that there is truth to the adage that an armed society is a polite society, in that it at least makes sure violent crime happens far less often than in most other places where people seem to have a phobia of firearms. Likewise, the police have shown themselves to be quite effective in rooting out organized gambling... as such this measure is virtually useless in this nation. And beside that fact, what business is it of the World Assembly to attempt to regulate such behavior in member nations? This should be a decision left up to each particular nation, not imposed on them all."

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Knootoss wrote:"Such as" clearly refers to a set of examples, and it was not intended, nor could it ever be seen as, referring to an exhaustive list of gambling activities. If you put money (a stake) into a slot machine and pull the lever, you are gambling on an event with an uncertain outcome (the three pictures are the same! DING DING DING!) with the primary objective of winning additional money and/or material goods. Your wilful inability to understand the English language does not constitute an escape clause. Do not pass go. You do not collect $200.

The Ambassador Elect of The Political Efficiency Accord Dr.Nigel Roosevelt:
"I understand the English language quite well thank you.The difference between an event and a simple game of chance is quite clear.Your example of "event" in the above statement is incorrect.Of course most people will buy that so no harm to you.When it comes to law one has to only comply to the letter of the law and the proposal that was put forth by you and the author is flawed in that it only covers a defined area of gambling instead of the broader area that was aimed for.When this was brought to the attention of this assembly the tactics of smearing other ambassadors with insults and trying to make them feel as if they were in error by questioning their intelligence level willful or otherwise only shows that your integrity and ability to take criticism in a mature manner is severely lacking.Continue to insult members of this body if that makes you feel better."

(OOC: Forgot the quote marks edited to add them nothing major)
Last edited by The Associated Peoples on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Ambassador Elect of The Political Efficiency Accord Dr.Nigel Roosevelt author of GA Resolution #126Extinction Preparation Act
Economic Left/Right: -0.88 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
Warzone Codger wrote:Well this is surely an interesting voting spilt.

You've beaten all 5 Feeders, XKI, Region Inc, Capitalist Paradise, (and edit: Gatesville) (the latter 4 being user regions who have more endos than one feeder) ALL voting against.
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Have you ever considered that there exist perspectives other than your own and equally as valid, or do you claim infallible omniscience by virtue of the houseboat you lovingly inhabit on de Nial?
Memebr of the WASO

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:01 pm

Mr Levi,

Unlike the "dictionaries are elitist" argument that is still being advanced by some delegates, you make a very good point about the necessity of the resolution here, from a political-philosophical point of view. You may find that we are more alike than you think. Knootoss also has a major gambling industry, and a commitment to the individual liberties of our citizens, as well as national sovereignty. The original draft of this resolution contained very strong language, condemning the practice of gambling, and placing some rather more onerous burdens on the gambling and banking industries. Knootian suggestions fundamentally changed the nature of the resolution, focussing on gambling education rather than attacking the industry.

I believe this resolution promotes the empowerment of free individuals. It does not mandate the creation of new government agencies, nor does it compel people to be treated for gambling addiction. The regulations that it does impose are common-sense, and really, should be in the interest of the industry as well.

Ambassador Aram Koopman

Calmerica
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Calmerica » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:47 pm

Knootoss wrote:Brilliant. Thank you.

Ambassador Aram Koopman

Absolutely, and thank you.
Alternate History
Cartographers Guild
Libertas of Calmerica

Palidania
Lobbyist

Founded: May 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Palidania » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:26 pm

The Issue of gambling is not up to the World Assembly to decide. Nations should have their choice on whether or not it should be legal or illegal. In Palidania it is illegal for good reason because it destroyed lives. however it cant be denied that it produces major income to support a nations economy.
"What I've decided goes against all my principles. Some day, my people are going to come up with some sort of a doctrine, something that tells us what we can and can't do out here - should and shouldn't do. But until somebody tells me that they've drafted that... directive... I'm going to... have to remind myself every day that we didn't come out here to play God." - Captain Jonathan Archer, "Dear Doctor"

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Palidania wrote:The Issue of gambling is not up to the World Assembly to decide. Nations should have their choice on whether or not it should be legal or illegal. In Palidania it is illegal for good reason because it destroyed lives. however it cant be denied that it produces major income to support a nations economy.

The Ambassador from Palidania

Surely you must have read within the resolution that the legality of gambling will not be affected by this resolution?
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

The Coyote Coalition
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Coyote Coalition » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:59 pm

To: Ambassador Aram Koopman

Knootoss wrote:

Mr Levi,

Unlike the "dictionaries are elitist" argument that is still being advanced by some delegates, you make a very good point about the necessity of the resolution here, from a political-philosophical point of view. You may find that we are more alike than you think. Knootoss also has a major gambling industry, and a commitment to the individual liberties of our citizens, as well as national sovereignty. The original draft of this resolution contained very strong language, condemning the practice of gambling, and placing some rather more onerous burdens on the gambling and banking industries. Knootian suggestions fundamentally changed the nature of the resolution, focussing on gambling education rather than attacking the industry.

I believe this resolution promotes the empowerment of free individuals. It does not mandate the creation of new government agencies, nor does it compel people to be treated for gambling addiction. The regulations that it does impose are common-sense, and really, should be in the interest of the industry as well.

Ambassador Aram Koopman

As of my response at this moment, this resolution is most definitely going to pass and, of course, makes any further argument at this juncture a moot point.

That being said, I certainly have no ill-will towards those involved in the drafting and proposal of this resolution, understanding fully that nothing but good intentions are behind it. Most, if not all of the restriction placed on the gambling industry are, in fact, enacted within the Coalition, whether by the private sector itself or, on rarer occasion, through our own legislation. My primary concern about this variety of resolution is directed more towards, as you so kindly noted, the issue of national sovereignty. "What's good for our nation is good for all nations" is a concept that frightens me when applied to such specific issues unrelated to human rights violations or other atrocities and strikes me as a possible precedent for future use .

Unfortunately, the precedent set by resolutions such as these could easily function as a metaphorical "foot in the door" for future resolutions that may, indeed, endanger national sovereignty more fully should nations with significantly more hubris attempt to pass more stifling resolutions.

Furthermore, I would like to clarify that I understand the credit limits imposed are vague enough as to not significantly damage the prospects of any established credit institutions. As this is a modification you had a personal hand in, I'm grateful. Although, in this case, the original intention of this clause is what I find myself fundamentally opposed to, rather than the effects it might have.

Of course, I could simplify my point by noting that nearly all of my qualms with this resolution are principle rather than practical and the fact that you, having co-authored this resolution, understand my concerns does help to lessen my anxiety over what this resolution could come to represent.

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:28 pm

The Coyote Coalition wrote:That being said, I certainly have no ill-will towards those involved in the drafting and proposal of this resolution, understanding fully that nothing but good intentions are behind it. Most, if not all of the restriction placed on the gambling industry are, in fact, enacted within the Coalition, whether by the private sector itself or, on rarer occasion, through our own legislation. My primary concern about this variety of resolution is directed more towards, as you so kindly noted, the issue of national sovereignty. "What's good for our nation is good for all nations" is a concept that frightens me when applied to such specific issues unrelated to human rights violations or other atrocities and strikes me as a possible precedent for future use .

I have to second the fine argument of the representative of the Coyote Coalition. I actually find this to be a nice resolution; well written and with very good intent. My problem is not with "national sovereignty" itself but with the fundamental nature of the reasoning that because a national of a nation in the WA can go to another nation in the WA (as opposed to a nation not in the WA) that the WA as a whole needs to regulate for that national. Whether we want to admit it or not the WA is not a "democratic" organization; at best it is a republican one and I fear that this is only an ideal that does not apply to many nations. This must be considered when determining moral leglislation for the people, because morals come from the people and cannot be imposed upon them. This resolution, therefore is a gray area in this regards; I for one shall neither cry nor cheer should this resolution pass; indeed should the strange situation occur that it should not pass, I will reccomend that it be passed locally in my nation and at least for a short while, my wife is still the big cheese in terms of the executive branch of my nation (not to mention that my sister in law just gained major gains in the congress and has a whole lot of votes in her party). I do worry, however, that other legislation, other regulations, in the name of "protecting the people" may use this as a model, however incorrectly, and thus cause all sorts of problems.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Airport Motor Lodge
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Airport Motor Lodge » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:51 pm

The following clause could pose a problem in countries that have state-operated gaming:

FURTHER MANDATES member countries where gambling advertising is permitted to prohibit Operators from using advertising or marketing techniques to:
[...]
• Present gambling as a solution to financial problems;

Suppose that a government is running a budget deficit and proposes an expansion of state-operated gaming as a means of reducing or eliminating the deficit. The government could not promote this policy proposal, because to do so would present gambling as a solution to financial problems.

My esteemed colleagues who represent countries where gaming operations are run by governments might want to think twice before voting for this resolution.

-Silvana Rossi
Ambassador to the General Assembly
Airport Motor Lodge
The Airport Motor Lodge
Now with free COLOR TV!
Representing New Rockport to the World Assembly

Play NationStates Trivia: G.A. Resolution Authors S.C. Resolution Authors World Cup Winners
Largest Regions

Emmeria Kingdom
Envoy

Founded: Dec 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Emmeria Kingdom » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:29 pm

I agree to the reducing problem of gambling. 100% of it
Im not an American. Im an Emmerian

Torphy Earned:Hero of Russia
Earn a nuke as a sniper
Torphy Earned: Radiant Japan
Earn a nuke as a soldier

Isaris
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 18, 2009

Postby Isaris » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:35 am

Since some of you mentioned you don't understand the term "RP crap", allow me to define it for you.

RP crap: The draining and unnecessary lines of text in which you act out actions and waste time that could be spent actually deciding on this resolution as if you were a real person typing, which you are.

Thank you. I am still against, and all voting members of the region of Equilism have unanimously voted against it, and our delegate shall be placing a vote of AGAINST in the General Assembly.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives