NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Food Welfare Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opola
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Draft: Food Welfare Act

Postby Opola » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:08 am

We cant support an act like this as it will defect many businesses. We must not support it if you would like to see ur economy grow.
United Federation of Sovereign Nations Member
Founder of the Original AMO
Party in control of Opola: Conservative Centrist Party

Grand Europic States
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Europic States » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:01 am

Opola, how will this negatively affect business? As for economic growth, the proposal requires more efficient use of resources so if anything that will help economic growth, not hinder it.

Yours,
Ambassador Tristan Winstrom
Permanent Representative of The New Republic of Grand Europic States to the World Assembly
Minister of State for the Europic Diplomatic Corps
President of the Council of Europic Diplomats

Al-Aqar
Attaché

Founded: Jan 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Aqar » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:24 am

Is there any reason why the possibility of accepting donations from nonmember nations could jeopardize this Proposal's passage prospects?
M. Ilyich
The Peoples' Republic of Al-Aqar
Political Compass:
Economic -9.38
Social -7.95

Avenio wrote:The gov'ment dun took ma baybay!!! Thayre comm'nist tayxes done took mah libertays! I ahm gonna geet mah gun and tayke back mah baybay aynd mah tayxes!

Tubbsalot wrote:Yes, the success of a generation should be judged solely by how well they can murder people. I'll get on to the UN about that right away.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:07 am

Al-Aqar wrote:Is there any reason why the possibility of accepting donations from nonmember nations could jeopardize this Proposal's passage prospects?

The language as it stands is not in violation of any World Assembly rule that does not allow for non-member nations to work with committees. So, I don't see any possibility of the language jeopardizing the proposal's 'passage prospects'.

Unfortunately, this means that New Rockport would not be able to donate to the IFWO and still maintain an absolute separation between their government and their agriculture industry. However, the proposal doesn't call for complete government regulation. The donation requires that government of New Rockport can prove that farmers did not produce surpluses in dangerous ways. It doesn't require New Rockport's federal government to set regulations or anything similar.

Dr. Bradford Castro
Chief Ambassador, FAA
the Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:04 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:The donation requires that government of New Rockport can prove that farmers did not produce surpluses in dangerous ways. It doesn't require New Rockport's federal government to set regulations or anything similar.

Environmental, occupational safety, and tax laws in New Rockport apply to farms just as they apply to other businesses. If that satisfies the agriculture management requirement, then the federal government can collect surplus crops and donate them to the IFWO. My concern was that the legislation might require the federal government to enact subsidies, quotas, price supports, and the like, which would almost certainly be unconstitutional. The esteemed ambassador from Glen-Rhodes has allayed that concern and the draft proposal has the full support of the Republic of New Rockport.
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

Morlago
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:14 am

The Republic of Morlago is ready to give this act full support.
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:51 am

This proposal is airthight. Anyone who is opposing it now doesn`t like helping people. I for one am ready to give it full support. Excellent job Ambassador Rhodes!!
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:12 am

The proposal has been submitted. Please extend your approval, or convince others to extend theirs.

Dr. Bradford Castro
Chief Ambassador, FAA

http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_pro ... match=food

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:41 am

Congratulations on a job well done... though, the job is not done just yet, eh? I'll encourage my regional Delegate, Al-Aqar, to approve this.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Submitted: Food Welfare Act

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:07 pm

Support withdrawn.
Last edited by Sionis Prioratus on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Al-Aqar
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Aqar » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:27 pm

Absolvability wrote:Congratulations on a job well done... though, the job is not done just yet, eh? I'll encourage my regional Delegate, Al-Aqar, to approve this.

Done.
M. Ilyich
Political Compass:
Economic -9.38
Social -7.95

Avenio wrote:The gov'ment dun took ma baybay!!! Thayre comm'nist tayxes done took mah libertays! I ahm gonna geet mah gun and tayke back mah baybay aynd mah tayxes!

Tubbsalot wrote:Yes, the success of a generation should be judged solely by how well they can murder people. I'll get on to the UN about that right away.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:53 pm

This is excellent! I hope to see it in the voting floor soon.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:31 am

(OOC: If you guys could take a look at this thread, and offer your help/input, that would be great. I've telegrammed nearly 150 delegates, and if I have to do that again, it's probably not going to be for a while.)

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:43 am

(OOC: Bumping this to the top! If I could get some help in this last stretch, that would be nice. I've TG'd close to 170 delegates, and only 40 have offered their approval. That's an amazing 2.35% ROI! *sarcasm*)

Al-Aqar
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Aqar » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:11 pm

We have registered our support for the proposal.
M. Ilyich
Political Compass:
Economic -9.38
Social -7.95

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:15 pm

(OOC: I'm looking for something more along the lines of others going on a crazy TG-campaign of their own. I mean, I only need 10 more... I have a curse when it comes to always being 8-10 short of reaching quorum, no matter how many delegates I TG.)

Al-Aqar
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Aqar » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:23 pm

OOC: Do you have a default telegram you've been sending out that you could send me a copy of? I would be more than willing to try.
M. Ilyich
Political Compass:
Economic -9.38
Social -7.95

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:22 pm

Elena Petrovna: "My Government believes this proposal would help save many lives on a massive scale, and support it. Our ambassadors in Kandarin, Blackbird, Lucretia Borgia, Sydia, and other friendly Delegate nations have been assigned the task of raising the issue of this proposal." Elena lifted her hand to her ear, "I'm being told that the Ambassador to Kandarin reports their government was interested in the subject. I hope this worthy proposal manages to reach quorum!"

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:01 pm

The PRESIDING OFFICER: The Chair wishes to advise members that the proposal "Food Welfare Act", proposed by the Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes, has reached quorum and is now in the queue to be voted upon.
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:52 pm

Elena Petrovna of ZEMNAYA SVOBODA: Urrah! Schapps all around then?

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:38 am

The nation has tons of surplus so this resolution will help us get those surpluses to the right people at the right time. What a great complement to our humanitarian aid resolution. 8)

Still, all the food produced here have to go through the Food Standards Council checks before they get distributed.

Yours,
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Re: In Queue: Food Welfare Act

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:22 am

Hard work does pay off, I guess. Thank you, anybody who helped out with the campaign. I'm anxious to see this pass.

Dr. Bradford Castro
Chief Ambassador, FAA

Robbenshire
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Robbenshire » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:35 pm

Robbenshire will back this proposition when we have received confirmation of membership in the WA. We would, however, like to see some additional wording in regards to international warfare, as currently there is none. At present this draft encourages, for example, support of nations who are faring poorly in a war whose ideals are not shared by the "prosperous" nation in question. Similarly, it encourages a prosperous supporting nations with whom it may currently be at war. Additionally, the proposition "OUTLAWS governmental actions such as state-based food hoarding and unfair food distribution practices which deliberately produce famines and starvation", when such actions may be necessary during wartime.

While we will back this resolution for peace-time purposes, without such clarification we cannot guarantee our support of it, or adherence to it, during any international conflict.
His Majesty King Nenquir VII
Lord over all Robbenshire

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:27 am

Robbenshire wrote:Robbenshire will back this proposition when we have received confirmation of membership in the WA. We would, however, like to see some additional wording in regards to international warfare, as currently there is none. At present this draft encourages, for example, support of nations who are faring poorly in a war whose ideals are not shared by the "prosperous" nation in question. Similarly, it encourages a prosperous supporting nations with whom it may currently be at war. Additionally, the proposition "OUTLAWS governmental actions such as state-based food hoarding and unfair food distribution practices which deliberately produce famines and starvation", when such actions may be necessary during wartime.

While we will back this resolution for peace-time purposes, without such clarification we cannot guarantee our support of it, or adherence to it, during any international conflict.

First of all, I cannot change the wording, now. Second of all, wars are fought between militaries, not innocent civilians; even if I could change the wording, I would not choose to insinuate that it is acceptable to let your enemy's civilians starve to death. Lastly, your worries about the outlawing clause makes no sense: the clause directly after affirms the right of nations to take necessary actions during wartime.
RECOGNIZING that under such circumstances a compelling governmental interest exists to protect the health and welfare of the people, the right of governments to seize food to supply to victims of such crises is granted, so long as such seizure is not detrimental to the larger population;

Dr. Bradford Castro
Chief Ambassador, FAA

Studly Penguins
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 14, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Studly Penguins » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:06 am

We would like to extend our Congratulations to Dr. Castro and this excellent bill. Good Luck and hope to get to vote FOR on this soon!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives