NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED!] Safety in Difficult Times (GA #156)

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:38 am

BURNINATI0N wrote:This little nation is NOT paying for all that. In fact, I haven't found a nation that could really afford to do social security at all.

Oh right, National Sovereignty.

No.

Maybe Your Excellency could pay for social security selling the dodoburgers Your Excellency banned sometime ago.

Yours in hunger,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:40 am

Twisted twister wrote:People should pay for social security on there own

We are afraid our translators are showing malfunctions at the moment.

Yours in confusion,
In the Name of
A simple truth

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:46 pm

BURNINATI0N wrote:This little nation is NOT paying for all that. In fact, I haven't found a nation that could really afford to do social security at all.

Oh right, National Sovereignty.

No.

Just saying NatSov isn't an argument. Really more of a bicker. And if you're looking for a nation that can afford social security, look no further than the gorgeous shores of the United Commonwealth of Embolalia. How does that saying go, when in Rome, QED as the Romans do?

Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Southrons United wrote:No, no, no, NO! Do not even try this is completely a National state issue NOT WA!
Southrons United wrote:The WA should not be in charge of my citizens Social Security!

Is Your Excellency all right? All that hyperventilation...

Yours in genuine concern,

I am angry at this act.!
Representative Brown

Southrons United angry.! Southrons United no like.! Southrons United no capable spell southerners.! Argh.!

On a more productive note, I like this. Although, the wording in 1 seems a little awkward to me. And I feel like disaster ought to be defined, rather than HoC'ing it.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Oceanec
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oceanec » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:04 pm

i dont need interference from the W.A. on issues countries must decide. The corporations cover these things and my people dont like goverment interference

Quadrimmina
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:14 pm

Government 'interference' is necessary to protect those most vulnerable citizens.
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:
GA#111 (Medical Research Ethics Act)
SC#28 (Commend Sionis Prioratus)
GA#197 (Banning Extrajudicial Transfer)

Co-authored:
GA#110 (Identity Theft Prevention Act)
GA#171 (Freedom in Medical Research)
GA#196 (Freedom of Information Act)

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:08 pm

Embolalia wrote:Although, the wording in 1 seems a little awkward to me.

What is exactly Your Excellency feels uncomfortable with section 1, or would like to see improved?

Yours warmly,
In the Name of
A simple truth

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:22 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Embolalia wrote:Although, the wording in 1 seems a little awkward to me.

What is exactly Your Excellency feels uncomfortable with section 1, or would like to see improved?

Yours warmly,

The ESTABLISHES makes it read oddly. It's really more the ESTABLISHES that's the problem, now that I'm re-reading it. Perhaps "ESTABLISHES that:"?
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

The third draft

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:24 pm

(third draft)
Last edited by Sionis Prioratus on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the Name of
A simple truth

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:26 pm

We overall support this legislation however we would like to see an exemption for nations who are in a budgetary crisis.
Economic Left/Right: 6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28

Sungai Pusat
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sungai Pusat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:28 pm

If this is voluntary for all people in a nation, I accept. If it is not, I disapprove.
Now mostly a politik discuss account.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:32 pm

American Capitalist wrote:We overall support this legislation however we would like to see an exemption for nations who are in a budgetary crisis.

We thank Your Excellency for the feedback. That said, might we ask, is this clause not enough?
6) Other provisions:

a) Dispensation of a nation’s social security benefits can be extraordinarily & temporarily suspended if at least three-fourths of said nation’s population have lost their livelihoods; in which case international organizations devoted to humanitarian causes shall prioritize food & clothing distribution to those who otherwise would be receiving social security benefits. Social security benefits shall resume as soon as normalcy is restored;

Anxiously awaiting for further feedback,

Yours truly,
In the Name of
A simple truth

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:34 pm

Sungai Pusat wrote:If this is voluntary for all people in a nation, I accept. If it is not, I disapprove.

Sionis Prioratus wrote:6) Other provisions:

b) Individuals shall retain full freedom to, free from duress, decline to receive any benefits from social security.

We thank Your Excellency for the feedback.

Yours truly,
In the Name of
A simple truth

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:34 pm

American Capitalist wrote:We overall support this legislation however we would like to see an exemption for nations who are in a budgetary crisis.

What defines a budgetary crisis? We feel SP has sufficiently done so by saying "if at least three-fourths of said nation's population have lost their livelihoods"

Sungai Pusat wrote:If this is voluntary for all people in a nation, I accept. If it is not, I disapprove.

If a social security system is optional, how does that work? You choose when you become the age of majority? And then when you become old and realize you made a mistake...is it too late? :\ However, SP has also incorporated that.
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:

Co-authored:

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:

We thank Your Excellency for the feedback. That said, might we ask, is this clause not enough?
6) Other provisions:

a) Dispensation of a nation’s social security benefits can be extraordinarily & temporarily suspended if at least three-fourths of said nation’s population have lost their livelihoods; in which case international organizations devoted to humanitarian causes shall prioritize food & clothing distribution to those who otherwise would be receiving social security benefits. Social security benefits shall resume as soon as normalcy is restored;

Yours truly,

While it does answer part of the problem I'm talking more about nations who have a Debt-to-GDP ratio of over 90% and need to cut back on spending programs.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:49 pm

We thank Your Excellency for the feedback.

American Capitalist wrote:While it does answer part of the problem I'm talking more about nations who have a Debt-to-GDP ratio of over 90% and need to cut back on spending programs.

3) Benefits:

b) All contributions considered for the calculation of benefits shall be duly updated, as provided by national laws;

Maybe inserting "and to ensure social security solvency" after "calculation of benefits"?

Yours in cooperation,
Last edited by Sionis Prioratus on Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the Name of
A simple truth

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:We thank Your Excellency for the feedback.

American Capitalist wrote:While it does answer part of the problem I'm talking more about nations who have a Debt-to-GDP ratio of over 90% and need to cut back on spending programs.

3) Benefits:

b) All contributions considered for the calculation of benefits shall be duly updated, as provided by national laws;

Maybe inserting "and to ensure social security solvency" after "calculation of benefits"?

Yours in cooperation,

That would ease our concerns.

Yours in fighting evil rodents,
Last edited by American Capitalist on Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sungai Pusat
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sungai Pusat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:07 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:

What defines a budgetary crisis? We feel SP has sufficiently done so by saying "if at least three-fourths of said nation's population have lost their livelihoods"

If a social security system is optional, how does that work? You choose when you become the age of majority? And then when you become old and realize you made a mistake...is it too late? :\ However, SP has also incorporated that.

Yes, it'll be too late. And of course it can work, as long as everyone is well informed.

Stutenland
Attaché

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Stutenland » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:12 pm

The Premier of Stutenland wishes to express his support for this Act, seeing as how it coincides with our goals and ideology. You are to be commended.
For Information on our Glorious Meritocratic Society: http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Stutenland
For Economic Information on our Glorious Nation: http://nseconomy.thirdgeek.com/nseconom ... stutenland
For Economic Information on our Glorious Nation: http://tracker.conquestofabsolution.com/stutenland

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:16 pm

Stutenland wrote:The Premier of Stutenland wishes to express his support for this Act, seeing as how it coincides with our goals and ideology. You are to be commended.

We thank Your Excellency's early support, and are extremely humbled Your Excellency would hold us in such high esteem.

Yours warmly,
In the Name of
A simple truth

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:32 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Stutenland wrote:The Premier of Stutenland wishes to express his support for this Act, seeing as how it coincides with our goals and ideology. You are to be commended.

We thank Your Excellency's early support, and are extremely humbled Your Excellency would hold us in such high esteem.

Yours warmly,

Of course, SP should not be surprised. They are a fantastic nation, and have contributed much good to this august assembly.
Sungai Pusat wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:

Yes, it'll be too late. And of course it can work, as long as everyone is well informed.

This operates under the assumption that the public IS well-informed. What if the nation or any influential person within intentionally gives them misinformation about the SS program so they'll opt out? I.E. saying that there are "death panels" so that as soon as you get social security, you're killed? To assume that every WA citizen is well-informed is a rather fallacious assumption.
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Sungai Pusat
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sungai Pusat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:39 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

Yours warmly,

Of course, SP should not be surprised. They are a fantastic nation, and have contributed much good to this august assembly.
Sungai Pusat wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:

This operates under the assumption that the public IS well-informed. What if the nation or any influential person within intentionally gives them misinformation about the SS program so they'll opt out? I.E. saying that there are "death panels" so that as soon as you get social security, you're killed? To assume that every WA citizen is well-informed is a rather fallacious assumption.

Well, then, laws will need to be made to prevent that since it is corruption of the mind.

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Sungai Pusat wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

Yours warmly,

Sungai Pusat wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:

Well, then, laws will need to be made to prevent that since it is corruption of the mind.

We then request that the honorable delegation from Sionis Prioratus add a clause encouraging education concerning retirement programs, including SS.

Also, how would opt-out work for those who don't collect SS due to old age?
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:42 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

Yours warmly,

Sungai Pusat wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:

Only this is rather simple legislation that any one can read in a minute and not a 2000 page bill. Although any one stupid enough to believe either one is probably yelling about the WA being a OWG conspiracy and gathering gold or something stupid like that.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:44 pm

Sungai Pusat wrote:Well, then, laws will need to be made to prevent that since it is corruption of the mind.

That would be simple, Your Excellency. We would simply have to ban perverse literature such as Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.

Yours in defending against incoming objectivist missiles,
In the Name of
A simple truth

Sungai Pusat
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sungai Pusat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:46 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Sungai Pusat wrote:Well, then, laws will need to be made to prevent that since it is corruption of the mind.

That would be simple, Your Excellency. We would simply have to ban perverse literature such as Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.

Yours in defending against incoming objectivist missiles,

No, I mean blockage from something that is in fact beneficial to you. But in the end, it is their decision.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives