NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED!] Safety in Difficult Times (GA #156)

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:48 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Sungai Pusat wrote:Well, then, laws will need to be made to prevent that since it is corruption of the mind.

That would be simple, Your Excellency. We would simply have to ban perverse literature such as Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.

Yours in defending against incoming objectivist missiles,

You forgot those evil Glenn Beck books that set our nations Conservative movement back a decade.
Last edited by American Capitalist on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: 6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:We then request that the honorable delegation from Sionis Prioratus add a clause encouraging education concerning retirement programs, including SS.

That is an interesting notion, Your Excellency. However we worry including that under a Social Justice resolution could be a category violation. Any thoughts on this?

On a lesser note, we have some strong reservations against Social Security being called SS, given we already have the Global Emigration, Security, Travel And Passport Organisation :lol:

Yours in mutual admiration,
Last edited by Sionis Prioratus on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:58 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:We then request that the honorable delegation from Sionis Prioratus add a clause encouraging education concerning retirement programs, including SS.

That is an interesting notion, Your Excellency. However we worry including that under a Social Justice resolution could be a category violation. Any thoughts on this?

On a lesser note, we have some strong reservations against Social Security being called SS, given we already have the Global Emigration, Security, Travel And Passport Organisation :lol:

How about Social Protection or Social Insurance?
Last edited by American Capitalist on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quadrimmina
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:58 pm

American Capitalist wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Sungai Pusat wrote:Well, then, laws will need to be made to prevent that since it is corruption of the mind.

That would be simple, Your Excellency. We would simply have to ban perverse literature such as Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.

You forgot those evil Glenn Beck books that set our nations Conservative movement back a decade.

Those vile things...our nation's Ministry of Education demanded they be banned under the "Protection from Misinformation Act".

Nevertheless, it's gotta be an education program about retirement options and the risks of not enrolling in Social Security or a private option.

And as far as its opting status...that seems a little restrictive. What if nations want to make it mandatory, they need the funding or something. Then they should. It's gotta be left up to choice.

Concerning the possibility of a categorical violation, education mandate is ostensibly social justice, no? Ensuring that those in poor social environments are afforded the same opportunity to be educated about retirement options as those in good ones? It's a bit of a stretch...but I've seen worse during my dealings with the assembly.
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:
GA#111 (Medical Research Ethics Act)
SC#28 (Commend Sionis Prioratus)
GA#197 (Banning Extrajudicial Transfer)

Co-authored:
GA#110 (Identity Theft Prevention Act)
GA#171 (Freedom in Medical Research)
GA#196 (Freedom of Information Act)

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:00 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

Those vile things...our nation's Ministry of Education demanded they be banned under the "Protection from Misinformation Act".

Nevertheless, it's gotta be an education program about retirement options and the risks of not enrolling in Social Security or a private option.

And as far as its opting status...that seems a little restrictive. What if nations want to make it mandatory, they need the funding or something. Then they should. It's gotta be left up to choice.

Concerning the possibility of a categorical violation, education mandate is ostensibly social justice, no? Ensuring that those in poor social environments are afforded the same opportunity to be educated about retirement options as those in good ones? It's a bit of a stretch...but I've seen worse during my dealings with the assembly.

We could require PSAs instead of a full on education program.

Southrons United
Diplomat

Founded: May 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Southrons United » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:00 pm

So, How should trust a WA backed Social Security? I believe that it would hurt growth and competition.

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:01 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

I dont think everyone has television, or maybe some governments dont have the ability to run PSAs?

How about mail programs?
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:

Co-authored:

Stutenland
Attaché

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Stutenland » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:03 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:

I, the ambassador of the most esteemed Premier of the People's Republic of Stutenland, would be prone to agree with my friend, his Excellency of Soinis Prioratus. The two letters SS have a stigma which would be counterproductive to the goal and intention of this Act and Social Security in general.
For Information on our Glorious Meritocratic Society: http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Stutenland
For Economic Information on our Glorious Nation: http://nseconomy.thirdgeek.com/nseconom ... stutenland
For Economic Information on our Glorious Nation: http://tracker.conquestofabsolution.com/stutenland

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:05 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

I dont think everyone has television, or maybe some governments dont have the ability to run PSAs?

How about mail programs?

How about a mix with internet advertisements as well?

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:10 pm

We would like to point out that GA #80, A Promotion of Basic Education, has the following:

• Cognizance of financial mathematics and concepts, currency and economics that is appropriate to the economy of their nation;
• A familiarity with their nation’s governmental policies, processes, civics, rights and freedoms;

Social security education in nations that did not previously have it, could simply be grandfathered in under this clause.

Yours with an inquiring mind,
In the Name of
A simple truth

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:13 pm

Southrons United wrote:So, How should trust a WA backed Social Security?

That is a fallacy. No national Social Security will be (financially) backed by the World Assembly.

Southrons United wrote:I believe that it would hurt growth and competition.

How?

Yours,
In the Name of
A simple truth

Southrons United
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Southrons United » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:

That is a fallacy. No national Social Security will be (financially) backed by the World Assembly.

How?

Yours,

It will hurt our own Privatized companies.

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 pm

It seems at this point, in light of the current verbosity of the draft, that an organizational overhaul and linguistic sharpening would be in order prior to assessing and correcting further issues stemming from myself and my constituents.

If you would be so kind as to exercise the patience, Ambassador, I can have a format and phrasing revision to you by Monday, including any developments and revisions that may occur as a result of conversation here in the interim. Would you accept such an offer?

I could get it done sooner, but I'm in the middle of cleaning and packing for a trip. I can still get it done, mind you, without it interfering with my real life obligations. It'll just take until Monday at the latest.
Ambassadors: Arik S. Drake, and Alice M. Drake, twins

UNOG Member
Intellect and Art (NatSovOrg Member)
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill
NERVUN wrote:By my powers combined, I am CAPTAIN MODERATION!

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

How?

Yours,

How?

Yours,
In the Name of
A simple truth

Southrons United
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Southrons United » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:24 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

How?

Yours,

How?

Yours,

The WA will fund everything for less. With also not as good care.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:25 pm

Intellect and the Arts wrote:It seems at this point, in light of the current verbosity of the draft, that an organizational overhaul and linguistic sharpening would be in order prior to assessing and correcting further issues stemming from myself and my constituents.

If you would be so kind as to exercise the patience, Ambassador, I can have a format and phrasing revision to you by Monday, including any developments and revisions that may occur as a result of conversation here in the interim. Would you accept such an offer?

I could get it done sooner, but I'm in the middle of cleaning and packing for a trip. I can still get it done, mind you, without it interfering with my real life obligations. It'll just take until Monday at the latest.

It is our utmost joy and pleasure to accept it! We hope Your Excellency does not mind if we do not stall development of the draft as-is in the interim. Do not feel pressured by deadlines. We ourselves are in no hurry about submitting this. Quality in Health Services, our previous successful project, took whole five months.

Yours in deep gratitude,
In the Name of
A simple truth

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:26 pm

Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

How?

Yours,

How?

Yours,

Your Excellency can prove this, or is Your Excellency pulling these assertions from Your Excellency's ass?

Yours in searching for salts,
In the Name of
A simple truth

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

How?

Yours,

How?

Yours,

I would like to take this moment to say that you make no fucking sense and need to complete your thoughts. Also if you read the legislation you would know the private enterprise is allowed to participate in a nations social security.

Southrons United
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Southrons United » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:30 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

How?

Yours,

How?

Yours,

Your Excellency can prove this, or is Your Excellency pulling these assertions from Your Excellency's ass?

Well Private companies will be run out because the WA has unlimited resources while Private companies don't.

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:34 pm

Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

How?

Yours,

How?

Yours,

Well Private companies will be run out because the WA has unlimited resources while Private companies don't.

The esteemed delegation from Southrons United is asked to please read the bill. The WA is not funding anything, and private companies are not involved in this process in the slightest. It is simply a mandate that all nations must provide social security for its most vulnerable citizens. This would allow for the improvement of any business catering for the elderly, and does not use the resources of the WA at all. To say they are unlimited is also a fallacy.

In other words, we ask that your esteemed delegation does its research again before considering this resolution further.

Also, to the honorable and respected delegation from Sionis Prioratus, we ask that the resolution be amended to include language to allow mandatory entry into the Social Security program OR opt-in. As we understand, the current language requires opt-in.
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Southrons United
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Southrons United » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

How?

Yours,

How?

Yours,

The esteemed delegation from Southrons United is asked to please read the bill. The WA is not funding anything, and private companies are not involved in this process in the slightest. It is simply a mandate that all nations must provide social security for its most vulnerable citizens. This would allow for the improvement of any business catering for the elderly, and does not use the resources of the WA at all. To say they are unlimited is also a fallacy.

In other words, we ask that your esteemed delegation does its research again before considering this resolution further.

Also, to the honorable and respected delegation from Sionis Prioratus, we ask that the resolution be amended to include language to allow mandatory entry into the Social Security program OR opt-in. As we understand, the current language requires opt-in.

It shouldn't require a poor country to suddlenly spend money on Social Security.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

How?

Yours,

How?

Yours,

Yours in a desperate search for a fainting couch,
In the Name of
A simple truth

Southrons United
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Southrons United » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:40 pm

Southrons United wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Southrons United wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

How?

Yours,

How?

Yours,

It shouldn't require a poor country to suddlenly spend money on Social Security.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:Also, to the honorable and respected delegation from Sionis Prioratus, we ask that the resolution be amended to include language to allow mandatory entry into the Social Security program OR opt-in. As we understand, the current language requires opt-in.

It is our intention that it be mandatory, not opt-in. The liberty to opt-out is assured, but individuals will have to actively opt out.
b) Individuals shall retain full freedom to, free from duress, decline to receive any benefits from social security.

Should this language be found unsatisfactory and/or confusing, we shall work to straighten it out.

Yours in sweating,
Last edited by Sionis Prioratus on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the Name of
A simple truth

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:47 pm

Southrons United wrote:It shouldn't require a poor country to suddlenly spend money on Social Security.

And what of it?

Yours,
In the Name of
A simple truth

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads