NATION

PASSWORD

[Defeated] 'Pride and Prejudice'

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

[Defeated] 'Pride and Prejudice'

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:09 am

Urra o HighPeaks, a [youngish] female Ursine who is an 'Apprentice Voice' (i.e. trainee diplomat) with the Bears Armed Mission, enters the chamber carrying a stack of papers. After waving in a friendly manner at the assembled diplomats, she hands those papers over to the gnomes on duty with instructions for them to give a copy to each national mission that has anybody present and then moves to the speaker's lectern.
"Hrarrroom!
[i]"Greetings!"
she says.
"Ambassador o SouthWoods feels that it is time I took the lead on introducing a proposal, for gaining experience, and told me to do so with 'that old St Edmundan one about encouraging democracy', so I looked through the files and apparently he meant this one ... So here it is..."
She sips from a glass of water -- at least, I think that its contents are only water -- while she waits for people to finish reading those hand-outs...

Pride and Prejudice

Category:
Furtherment of Democracy
Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Bears Armed Mission

Description: It is a truth (almost) universally acknowledged that a government which has been in firm possession of its nation for quite a while is most in need of honest criticism, and of the humility with which to listen to this…

Therefore the World Assembly,

RECOGNISING that even in democracies the tenure of public office, especially if prolonged and without credible opposition, may help lead not only national and sub-national leaders but lesser politicians and subordinate officials too into a belief that they are naturally superior to their nations’ other inhabitants, and to think that their own views are not just the only ones they need to consider but the only ones that might even be worth considering at all;

RECOGNISING that national or sub-national leaders, lesser politicians, and subordinate officials, might sometimes allow such a belief to lead them into arrogant actions, and/or into the passage of badly-thought-out legislation, to the detriment of their nations’ other inhabitants,

RECOGNISING also that some national or sub-national leaders, lesser politicians, and subordinate officials, especially if confident of retaining power, might allow their policies and actions to be influenced by prejudice either towards or against various elements of their nations’ populations,

BELIEVING that if national or sub-national leaders, lesser politicians, or subordinate officials, give in to Pride and Prejudice in these ways then they are unlikely to govern those nations in the best interests of the overall populations therein;

1. REMINDS all national leaders, lesser politicians and subordinate officials, that no matter how long and how firmly they may have held those positions, or for how much longer they might reasonably expect to retain them, it is highly unlikely (unless they have very unusual metabolisms indeed…) that the Sun actually shines forth from any portions of their anatomies;

2. STRONGLY URGES all national and sub-national leaders, lesser politicians, and subordinate officials, to listen seriously to honest criticism and constructive advice, and to take this in the spirit in which it is meant, instead of just ignoring, belittling or even punishing, the sources of that criticism and advice;

3. STRONGLY URGES national and sub-national leaders, lesser politicians, and subordinate officials, to act consistently in the best interests of the people within their jurisdictions as a whole, without letting prejudice either towards or against any elements of those populations influence the ways in which they perform their official responsibilities.

"Hwell, what do you think of it?"
Last edited by Ardchoille on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:17 am

Urra looks at the sleeping diplomats.

"Ah. Hwell, that being the case, I guess I might as well send it for a trial run..."

(OOC: This was originally drafted back in the days of 'the previous international organisation', and that previous version was submitted at least twice [but without any TG campaigns] unsuccesfully back then...)
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:40 am

OOC: Jane Austen..

IC: "Opposed!" Kuno Krugner screamed, but then howled with laughter, "just kidding... we're going to have to *like* read this over a few times before we make any comments, but we fear the Xaquovaenovai light-forms may be upset by be calling 'highly unlikely'. Also, we'll note that the idiom referring to the sun isn't appropriate for many places, where there are multiple 'suns' or none at all in the center of planetary systems."
Last edited by Unibot on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:03 am

Yeah, we'll try and make Pride and Prejudice mandatory for all member states' governments to read, but it is unlikely that it would be notable for a resolution. ;)

Anyway, is corruption covered by the ideological ban? :unsure:

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:42 am

Depite our respect for our Ursine colleague, we cannot support this. Although, to be fair, we find this:

1. REMINDS all national leaders, lesser politicians and subordinate officials, that no matter how long and how firmly they may have held those positions, or for how much longer they might reasonably expect to retain them, it is highly unlikely (unless they have very unusual metabolisms indeed…) that the Sun actually shines forth from any portions of their anatomies;

To be one of the more brilliant passages ever in the history of WA proposals, and very nearly caused us to support this for that passage alone.

EDIT: Oh, what the hell, its a slow day. We shall toss our support, such as it is and for what its worth, behind this proposal.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:25 am

I think I'll not support this. Not only does the proposal not do anything except "remind" and "strongly urge", which is a violation of the rules that govern this body, but its tone mirrors the same flippancy that recent proposals on periodic table elements and toothpaste color have brought to this chamber. No, no, and no.

Aleksei-kan Volkov
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:33 am

Against. As good as "Toothpaste Accordance Act". We wonder what the OBM has been adding to the WA's drinking water?

Respectfully submitted,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:22 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Yeah, we'll try and make Pride and Prejudice mandatory for all member states' governments to read, but it is unlikely that it would be notable for a resolution. ;)

Anyway, is corruption covered by the ideological ban? :unsure:

"Even if 'corruption' were to be counted as an integral part of any ideology, according to what Ambassador o SouthWoods has told me the fact that this proposal's terms only “URGE” rather than “REQUIRE” would mean that it isn't actually banning anything anyway."

Grays Harbor wrote:Depite our respect for our Ursine colleague, we cannot support this. Although, to be fair, we find this:

To be one of the more brilliant passages ever in the history of WA proposals, and very nearly caused us to support this for that passage alone.

“Thank you: I wish that we could claim the credit for drafting that clause, but in all honesty it was already within the version of this proposal that Ambassador o Redwood managed to acquire from the St Edmundans when their mission here was leaving...

Grays Harbor wrote: Oh, what the hell, its a slow day. We shall toss our support, such as it is and for what its worth, behind this proposal.

“... And, again, thank you.”

Krioval wrote:I think I'll not support this. Not only does the proposal not do anything except "remind" and "strongly urge", which is a violation of the rules that govern this body,

”Urrm, actually you are in error about that point. Proposals whose operative clauses are limited in that way are in fact perfectly legal, at least if —as is the case for this one — they are classified as only 'Mild’ in strength.”

Urra o HighPeaks,
Apprentice Voice, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.

Freeoplis
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Freeoplis » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:47 am

Quite a mild proposal this one, as we are in full support of the principles of open and transparent democracy we would support such legislation.
The Republic of Freeoplis
Region of Absolution

East Ying
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby East Ying » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:41 pm

The Delegation from East Ying was utterly lost. Sighing, the Delegate from East Ying stood up in his seat.

'The Delegation feels that this bill, if enforced, would be too weak to have any real impact on the global community. Furthermore, even if this bill was more blunt and strict, it would undermine key human rights of the leaders mentioned in the legislation. As per their individual rights, they, theoretically, have the RIGHT to ignore their constituents. In the case of Todd McCloud, there ARE no constituents. Obviously, as you can see, this bill may be slightly flawed. For the time being, the Delegation abstains in this matter, and rests.'
Economic Left/Right: -6.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.82

"It's like navigating a mine field. On a pogo-stick. While drunk. And blindfolded." - The Most Glorious Hack on Common Currency
Ifreann wrote:
Jordaxia wrote:
Bei Song wrote:According to this poll, 26% of U.S. don't know that we declared independence from England

Bet you feel like a right lemon now.

The irony is delicious.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=60617 (EMBASSY)
Linyo Ying// Chancellor
Goroko Nyang// WA Envoy

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Bears Armed wrote:”Urrm, actually you are in error about that point. Proposals whose operative clauses are limited in that way are in fact perfectly legal, at least if —as is the case for this one — they are classified as only 'Mild’ in strength.”

I suppose I could ask for an official ruling from the Secretariat, in that case. I continue to find that a proposal that does nothing should not be seriously considered by this Assembly.

Aleksei-kan Volkov

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:01 am

Krioval wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:”Urrm, actually you are in error about that point. Proposals whose operative clauses are limited in that way are in fact perfectly legal, at least if —as is the case for this one — they are classified as only 'Mild’ in strength.”

I suppose I could ask for an official ruling from the Secretariat, in that case.

Here: First post, 'TYPES OF VIOLATIONS', 'Meta-gaming', definition of 'Optionality'...

Current status_
Approvals: 27 (Buffett and Colbert, Aymar, Grays Harbor, Aeron Technologies, Joshuahood, Embolalia, Esoteric Thought, Marflo, Arathian nation, Aldonin, City of Norfolk, Cassandra Maria, Slayers And Witches, Puppetum, Punggol, Nullarni, Tyrrin, The chrisman union, Axelinator, South Lorenya, Zeppy, Pandora89, Darenjo, The Blue Chocobo, NewTexas, South Grand Prairie, Phing Phong)

Voting Ends: in 1 day, 6 hours
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:04 am

The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn cannot support this legislation. This bill would seem to imply that there is something inherently wrong with our current system of government, a constitutional monarchy. We feel there are already sufficient checks and balances in place within our legal system, as well as social pressures, to keep this from being an issue in the first place.
The humble representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn yields the floor.

However, with the addition of Zombies to the bill's title, we might be forced to accept it.
Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Eighteenth Earl of White Haven
Minister of Foreign Affairs to His Majesty King Roger VI
The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:18 am

"Hwell, it didn't make quorum this time around, but 31 approvals isn't bad for an attempt unsupported by any lobbying efforts. We will be re-submitting this proposal very shortly, with a lobbying effort, and in the meanwhile would like to thank the ambassadors and (if they were consulted) governments of the following nations _ Buffett and Colbert, Aymar, Grays Harbor, Aeron Technologies, Joshuahood, Embolalia, Esoteric Thought, Marflo, Arathian nation, Aldonin, City of Norfolk, Cassandra Maria, Slayers And Witches, Puppetum, Punggol, Nullarni, Tyrrin, The chrisman union, Axelinator, South Lorenya, Zeppy, Pandora89, Darenjo, The Blue Chocobo, NewTexas, South Grand Prairie, Phing Phong, The LoUnited Nations, Alpha Centerui, Zombiosis, and Jewish-Christian Natio.
"Hokay, Urra, it's back in your paws again..."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
Chairbear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly
for
The High Council of Clans,
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed.
Last edited by Bears Armed Mission on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

GA & SC Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:44 am

I don't see a problem with this proposal. It doesn't do much, but it does reinforce the idea of a free, democratic society. Given that we're in a slow period, and there are plenty of weeks in the year, I would approve of it if it were submitted again. Sorry for not noticing this earlier.

- Dr. B. Castro

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:08 am

Krioval wrote:

I suppose I could ask for an official ruling from the Secretariat, in that case. I continue to find that a proposal that does nothing should not be seriously considered by this Assembly.

Aleksei-kan Volkov

Those are the best kind of proposals, old bean. :p
excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:56 am

Last edited by Bears Armed Mission on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

East Ying
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby East Ying » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:24 am

'Who is St. Edmund listed at the bottom of the proposal?'
Economic Left/Right: -6.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.82

"It's like navigating a mine field. On a pogo-stick. While drunk. And blindfolded." - The Most Glorious Hack on Common Currency
Ifreann wrote:
Jordaxia wrote:
Bei Song wrote:According to this poll, 26% of U.S. don't know that we declared independence from England

Bet you feel like a right lemon now.

The irony is delicious.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=60617 (EMBASSY)
Linyo Ying// Chancellor
Goroko Nyang// WA Envoy

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:27 am

East Ying wrote:'Who is St. Edmund listed at the bottom of the proposal?'

The original author....
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:43 am

Kryozerkia wrote:
East Ying wrote:'Who is St. Edmund listed at the bottom of the proposal?'

The original author....

OOC: ... which is actually another one of my own nations, well known in the days of The Previous International Organisation, but which I've credited there both to reduce the risk of accusations of plagiarism (from any people who still remember its ambassador submitting an earlier version of this proposal) and because there's no IC connection between the nations except for the Bears having acquired various St Edmundan proposal-drafts ("free to a good home...") when that other country finally left the WA...

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:47 am

This time Ms. Harper is sure to throw her hat in on this interesting anti-corruption proposal, and it is now proven that all ideologies are possible while not being corrupt and lazy...

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:05 pm

And now it already has 20 of the 56 approvals required...

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:02 am

38/55...

Zirconim
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zirconim » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:44 am

Eh, I'm all for it.
Embassies In: Cosumar
Israslovakahzerbajan
Lemonius
Tech: PMT/FT
Economic: -3.00
Socially: -5.64

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all." -Mario Savio
Featured Album(s):
Sukekiyo-Immortalis
Featured Song(s):
David Bowie-Blackstar

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:06 am

Zirconim wrote:Eh, I'm all for it.

My government thanks you for your support (and for your already-given delegately approval)... :)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives