NATION

PASSWORD

Silly and/or Illegal GA Proposals. zOMG!

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:33 pm

GENERAL ASSEMBLY PROPOSAL
ID: united_federation_of_europe_1353965213

Domestic Cannabis Use
A resolution to ban, legalize, or encourage recreational drugs.

Category: Recreational Drug Use

Decision: Legalize

Proposed by: United Federation of Europe

Description: Description: Believing citizens of the WA have the right to grow and possess up to one ounce of Cannabis for personal use within domestic premises.

The World Assembly hereby:

RECOGNISES the rights of People, twenty one years or older to:

Firstly, grow up to three immature and three mature cannabis plants privately in a locked space.

Secondly, legally possess up to one ounce of cannabis.

And finally, give as a gift up to one ounce of cannabis to other citizens twenty-one years of age or older to be consumed in a domestic premises.

The World Assembly therefore:

REQUESTS the establishment of a law making board or commission, with experienced WA members, to further enhance or create laws which will protect the domestic Cannabis use rights of WA citizens.

Approvals: 0

Voting Ends: in 3 days 7 hours

Only REQUESTS that a committee be created. No operative clause, and probably violates another act or two.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:55 pm

GENERAL ASSEMBLY PROPOSAL
ID: izala_1353980949
Repeal "WA Development Foundation"

A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.

Category: Repeal

Resolution: GA#226

Proposed by: Izala

Description: WA General Assembly Resolution #226: WA Development Foundation (Category: Free Trade; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: the strategy mentioned may not work for all developing member nations.

Approvals: 0

Voting Ends: in 3 days 3 hours

No operative clause.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Just an interesting note, we currently have 5 queued proposals... I think that may be the first time that's ever happend. It's a testament to a new era of good proposal writing! (I hope!)
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:10 am

Rights of the Students Act
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights | Strength: Significant | Proposed by: Hulkius Maximus

Description: Recognizing that the beating students because of small feats of misbehavior is wrong.
Understanding That their are multiple levels of misbehavior, some being more serious than others.
Defining the levels of misbehavior that are serious enough for beating a student:

I: Beating other children.

II: A purposeful attempt to damage large amounts of property that succeeds in doing so.

III: Damaging high-costing equipment to the point that it is no longer usable or recognizable by the operator of the equipment.

Mandates that when any of the previously stated activities is done by a student, the teacher may choose to punish the student in any way that they see fit.
Defining that if the punishment is seen by the staff as too harsh, inappropriate or offensive, they may do any of the following if they get approval from 3 other staff members and for I, the teacher's approval to move into their classroom.

I: Switch the student into a different classroom if the classroom has less students than the student's original classroom.
Rights of the Student Act

Description: Recognizing that the beating students because of small feats of misbehavior is wrong.
Understanding That their are multiple levels of misbehavior, some acts being more serious than others.
Defining the levels of misbehavior that are serious enough for beating a student:

I: Purposely beating other children.

II: Purposely damaging large amounts of property.

III: Purposely damaging high-costing equipment to the point that it is no longer usable or recognizable by the operator of the equipment.

Defining purposely as an aimed attack or something that it seen by more than one person as an intentional act.

Mandates that when any of the previously stated activities is done by a student, the teacher may choose to punish the student in any way that they see fit.
Defining that if the punishment is seen by the staff as too harsh, inappropriate or offensive, they may do any of the following if they get approval from 3 other staff members and for I, the teacher's approval to move into their classroom.

I: Switch the student into a different classroom if the classroom has less students than the student's original classroom.

II: Meet with the school's principal and the school districts administrator(s) about possible actions.

III: Create a school-wide petition to have the teacher suspended if the petition is signed by 80% of the school students, teachers, and faculty.

Description: Recognizing that the beating of students because of small bouts of misbehavior is wrong.
Understands that their are multiple levels of misbehavior, with some acts being more serious than others.

III: Purposely damaging high-costing school equipment to the point that it is no longer usable or recognizable by the operator of the equipment.

Defining purposely as an aimed attack or something that it seen by more than one person as an intentional act.
Mandates that when any of the stated activities is done by a student, the teacher may choose to punish the student.
Defining that if the punishment is seen by a staff member as too harsh, inappropriate or offensive, they may do any of the following if they get approval from 3 other staff members.

II: Meet with the school's principal and the school districts administrator(s) about possible actions.

III: Create a school-wide petition to have the teacher suspended if the petition is signed by 80% or more of the school students, teachers, and faculty.

Urges teachers to keep interactions with students safe and non-violent, by having teachers keep their hands to themselves.

Besides treating the queue as a draft thread (seriously?), it's pretty stupid IMHO (after all, there's other types of corporal punishment out there) and probably duplicates/contradicts Prevention of Child Abuse
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Dagguerro
Envoy

Founded: Apr 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagguerro » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:19 am

Individuality-ness wrote:

Understanding That their are multiple levels of misbehavior, some being more serious than others.

I: Beating other children.

II: A purposeful attempt to damage large amounts of property that succeeds in doing so.

III: Damaging high-costing equipment to the point that it is no longer usable or recognizable by the operator of the equipment.

Rights of the Student Act

Understanding That their are multiple levels of misbehavior, some acts being more serious than others.

III: Purposely damaging high-costing equipment to the point that it is no longer usable or recognizable by the operator of the equipment.

III: Create a school-wide petition to have the teacher suspended if the petition is signed by 80% of the school students, teachers, and faculty.

Description: Recognizing that the beating of students because of small bouts of misbehavior is wrong.
Understands that their are multiple levels of misbehavior, with some acts being more serious than others.

III: Purposely damaging high-costing school equipment to the point that it is no longer usable or recognizable by the operator of the equipment.

Mandates that when any of the stated activities is done by a student, the teacher may choose to punish the student.
Defining that if the punishment is seen by a staff member as too harsh, inappropriate or offensive, they may do any of the following if they get approval from 3 other staff members.

III: Create a school-wide petition to have the teacher suspended if the petition is signed by 80% or more of the school students, teachers, and faculty.

Urges teachers to keep interactions with students safe and non-violent, by having teachers keep their hands to themselves.

Besides treating the queue as a draft thread (seriously?), it's pretty stupid IMHO (after all, there's other types of corporal punishment out there) and probably duplicates/contradicts Prevention of Child Abuse

Personally I'm amused by the face a "Rights of the Students Act" can potentially be interpreted as mandating teachers being free to enact corporal punishment under certain circumstances (overriding any national bans on it). The wording is very questionable.
Patrician Lord Nicholas Ashemore - Elected Supreme Leader of The Benevolent Empire of Dagguerro

His Excellency Lord Daniel Swift - Dagguerrean Ambassador to the World Assembly

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:06 am

Bergnovinaia wrote:Just an interesting note, we currently have 5 queued proposals... I think that may be the first time that's ever happend. It's a testament to a new era of good proposal writing! (I hope!)

Not the first time. And I doubt it'll be the last.

In May of this year, we had 6 quorate proposals at one time.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:13 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:Just an interesting note, we currently have 5 queued proposals... I think that may be the first time that's ever happend. It's a testament to a new era of good proposal writing! (I hope!)

Not the first time. And I doubt it'll be the last.

In May of this year, we had 6 quorate proposals at one time.

And if I remember correctly, we've had more than that back in the UN days.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:01 pm

Ban Biodegradable Plastics
A resolution to increase the quality of the world's environment, at the expense of industry.

Category: Environmental
Industry Affected: All Businesses

Proposed by: Kuzcan

Description: RECOGNIZES the impact littered plastics have on the environment.
ACKNOWLEDGES the use of disposable plastics by private enterprises.
SEEKS to ban and replace all disposable plastics with biodegradable plastics.

PROHIBITING the manufacture and use of non-biodegradable disposable plastics by private industries in all WA nations.
EXAMPLES : bottles, bags, wrappers, packages, etc.

DOES NOT prohibit the manufacture and use of plastics intended for non-disposable use.

ENCOURAGES member nations to extend tax credit to businesses that transist to biodegradables.

Total and Complete Title Fail! The title says BAN biodegradeable Plastics, and the text wants to promote them.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
A resolution to increase the quality of the world's environment, at the expense of industry.

PROHIBITING the manufacture and use of non-biodegradable disposable plastics by private industries in all WA nations.

DOES NOT prohibit the manufacture and use of plastics intended for non-disposable use.

ENCOURAGES member nations to extend tax credit to businesses that transist to biodegradables.

Total and Complete Title Fail! The title says BAN biodegradeable Plastics, and the text wants to promote them.

Honest Mistake, meet epic contradiction.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:04 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:

:rofl: :palm: I totally didn't notice that when I saw it in the queue.

Also, I'm not sure it does anything... I think it does, but when I read it I wasn't sure if it even had an operating clause.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:41 am

Individuality-ness wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:Total and Complete Title Fail! The title says BAN biodegradeable Plastics, and the text wants to promote them.

:rofl: :palm: I totally didn't notice that when I saw it in the queue.

Also, I'm not sure it does anything... I think it does, but when I read it I wasn't sure if it even had an operating clause.

It's got operative clauses, the "PROHIBITING" and "ENCOURAGES" ones.

Dagguerro
Envoy

Founded: Apr 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagguerro » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:56 am

Grays Harbor wrote:

I can't help feeling this was just a temporary brain-fail by the author who intended something like "Ban non-biodegradable plastics" and left a key part of it out when submitting it.

For the record, I don't think theres anything wrong with the concept of his proposal either, except it could use a little more work (sometimes non-biodegradable plastics are going to be necessary).
Patrician Lord Nicholas Ashemore - Elected Supreme Leader of The Benevolent Empire of Dagguerro

His Excellency Lord Daniel Swift - Dagguerrean Ambassador to the World Assembly

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:09 am

Cultural Representation

A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts.

Category: Education and Creativity

Area of Effect: Cultural Heritage

Proposed by: Kiton

Description: During all meetings at the World Alliance, make a requirement that all representatives ave to dress in ethnic garb so that they represent that nation's culture.

Ah bloody hell. :palm: No. Just. No.

Not Ta'veren

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:26 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Cultural Representation

Description: During all meetings at the World Alliance, make a requirement that all representatives ave to dress in ethnic garb so that they represent that nation's culture.

It would make representatives from multicultural nations very interesting.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Free Opinion Education

Category: Human Rights | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: The Fifth Republic of Romulus

Description: ACKNOWLEDGING that people are entitled to opinions and that opinions help expand markets and freedoms.

ALARMED by the fact that some schools around the world teach opinions while ignoring the lesson of forming a healthy opinion.

DECLARING that young people should be educated to the point where they an reason and develop their own self-opinions, with minimal influence from their culture.

CONDEMNS all schools, teachers, and nations that endorses bias opinions that in turn, restrain our growth as a World Assembly.

WELCOMES all nations that support this cause to promote self-thinking.

SUGGESTS young people to support this cause outside of schools as well

A Promotion of Basic Education anyone? Also wrong category.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:50 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Cultural Representation

The good news is, that because this is the World Assembly not the World Alliance, we wouldn't actually have to do anything.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:02 pm

World Banker Act
A resolution to restrict political freedoms in the interest of law and order.

Category: Political Stability
Strength: Mild

Proposed by: Domton

Description: Nations like Domton where their economy imploded need help. Our people need food, basic plumbing, all the necessities of life. I say we need an amendment that would allow nations in serious economic crisis to apply for loans through the World Assembly. There are nations where gold is worthless and bread is the currency. I ask not only for help with Domton but also for all nations who seek to make everyday life livable. Today children are eating cats to survive. I fear that without assistance my government and many others will fall if everyday life doesn't return to normal. I request to all of you if you wish for stability to continue please pass this amendment.

Lets see, we have branding, duplication, metagaming, and wrong category. Anything I miss?

Not Ta'veren

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:40 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
World Banker Act
A resolution to restrict political freedoms in the interest of law and order.

Category: Political Stability
Strength: Mild

Proposed by: Domton

Description: Nations like Domton where their economy imploded need help. Our people need food, basic plumbing, all the necessities of life. I say we need an amendment that would allow nations in serious economic crisis to apply for loans through the World Assembly. There are nations where gold is worthless and bread is the currency. I ask not only for help with Domton but also for all nations who seek to make everyday life livable. Today children are eating cats to survive. I fear that without assistance my government and many others will fall if everyday life doesn't return to normal. I request to all of you if you wish for stability to continue please pass this amendment.

Structure equating to that of a serious proposal?

Lets see, we have branding, duplication, metagaming, and wrong category. Anything I miss?
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
World Banker Act
Today children are eating cats to survive.

...metagaming...

I mean, I agree it's illegal, but how is that metagaming?

Would that part of the proposal require the children of Nationstates to eat cats? If so, is that not firmly within our power?

Or does it merely draw attention to the endemic cat-eating problem that afflicts our world? If so, it's really just a misplaced part of the preamble.
Last edited by Cowardly Pacifists on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:50 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:...metagaming...

I mean, I agree it's illegal, but how is that metagaming? Would that part of the proposal require children to eat cats? And if so, isn't that firmly within the WA's power?

Don't tell alunya :palm:
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:...metagaming...

I mean, I agree it's illegal, but how is that metagaming?

Would that part of the proposal require the children of Nationstates to eat cats? If so, is that not firmly within our power?

Or does it merely draw attention to the endemic cat-eating problem that afflicts our world? If so, it's really just a misplaced part of the preamble.

I ws referring to the pleas for help, etc, etc, etc which would appear to be requiring nations participate in RP due to a resolution. Thats how it looked to me anyhow.

Not Ta'veren

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:33 pm

The public collages act

Area of Effect: Educational

Proposed by: Cresent

Description: NOTING that many people that want to go to collage can't because of monetary concerns
PROPOSING to tax people that don't go to collage an extra 2 percent and using this money to fund SCHOOLS (science/culture habitat of oodles of learning.) this money could be used to fund public collages, buy supplies, hire teachers, and raise the quality of life.
EXCLAIMING that this could improve the sciences and that includes weapons.

Pretty sure this is illegal.

Not Ta'veren

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
The public collages act

Area of Effect: Educational

Proposed by: Cresent

Description: NOTING that many people that want to go to collage can't because of monetary concerns
PROPOSING to tax people that don't go to collage an extra 2 percent and using this money to fund SCHOOLS (science/culture habitat of oodles of learning.) this money could be used to fund public collages, buy supplies, hire teachers, and raise the quality of life.
EXCLAIMING that this could improve the sciences and that includes weapons.

Pretty sure this is illegal.

Interferes with domestic taxation, violates the WA General Fund. Illegal.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:36 pm

The Statehood of Palemine

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Strong

Proposed by: Bordikei

Description: RECOGNIZES that the current region of Palemine is occupied by the state of Iskael.

NOTES that the Palemine people live poor conditions due to the blockade that Iskael enforced years ago. This blockade has prevented economic development for the territory.

APPALLED that Iskael has settled parts of the Paleminian territory which is against international law.

FURTHER notes that the Paleminian people were promised a state when the state of Iskael was formed, and this promise has not been met in the 60+ years since Iskael's creation.

DISAPPOINTED that the World Assembly has sat back and watched Iskael take advantage of the Paleminian people for so long.

PROPOSING that the territory controlled by the Paleminian Authority (PA) will be the sovereign government of the State of Palemine.

RAISING the status of the Paleminian territory to the rank of "Non-Member State."

wow. how so totally not transparent with absolutely no thinly veiled real world references. :palm:

Not Ta'veren

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:38 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
The Statehood of Palemine

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Strong

Proposed by: Bordikei

Description: RECOGNIZES that the current region of Palemine is occupied by the state of Iskael.

NOTES that the Palemine people live poor conditions due to the blockade that Iskael enforced years ago. This blockade has prevented economic development for the territory.

APPALLED that Iskael has settled parts of the Paleminian territory which is against international law.

FURTHER notes that the Paleminian people were promised a state when the state of Iskael was formed, and this promise has not been met in the 60+ years since Iskael's creation.

DISAPPOINTED that the World Assembly has sat back and watched Iskael take advantage of the Paleminian people for so long.

PROPOSING that the territory controlled by the Paleminian Authority (PA) will be the sovereign government of the State of Palemine.

RAISING the status of the Paleminian territory to the rank of "Non-Member State."

wow. how so totally not transparent with absolutely no thinly veiled real world references. :palm:

When you can't spell Palestine right, your proposal also fails.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives