NATION

PASSWORD

Silly and/or Illegal GA Proposals. zOMG!

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:20 pm

United Federation of Canada wrote:GENERAL ASSEMBLY PROPOSAL
ID: sino-japano_1352169488

Education evolution
A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts.

Category: Education and Creativity

Area of Effect: Educational

Proposed by: Sino-Japano

Description: (1) Opening places in universities for foreign students
(2) Sharing technology and research

Approvals: 0

Voting Ends: in 3 days 2 hours

ILLEGAL. No operating clause.

If it was just bloggy, I would agree. However, this is just confusing (read: bloody stupid). I don't know if they want evolution taught in education facilities (which would get it pulled for lack of relevance), or just making education better (in which case, it would be pulled for duplication).

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:42 am

Repeal "Nuclear Arms Possession Act"
A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation

Category: Repeal
Resolution: GA#10

Proposed by: Ahntong

Description: WA General Assembly Resolution #10: Nuclear Arms Possession Act (Category: International Security; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: ACKNOWLEDGING that the World Assembly is not a military alliance nor in any other way a community of common defense,

BELIEVING that non-WA members do not as a general rule or of necessity pose a threat to WA members, and that the World Assembly's mission of peace requires fostering good relations with them with a view to expanding the Assembly's membership,

RECOGNIZING that expressly allowing an action or policy is unnecessary where it was not forbidden in the first place,

NOTICING that repealing this resolution will therefore neither change the status quo in regard to nuclear weapons possession, nor infringe on any WA member's right to the same,

REPEALS the "Nuclear Arms Possession Act".

Here we go again... :roll:
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:48 am

I think NAPA is the resolution with the most (poorly) attempted repeals since I've started playing. Apparently it's not the most popular resolution with the noobies :)

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:27 am

Eireann Fae wrote:I think NAPA is the resolution with the most (poorly) attempted repeals since I've started playing. Apparently it's not the most popular resolution with the noobies :)

I guess they figure that since they are trying to repeal "n00ks" it will be a popular repeal. They are wrong.

Not Ta'veren

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:30 pm

National Empowerment Treaty
A resolution to increase democratic freedoms.

Category: Furtherment of Democracy
Strength: Strong

Proposed by: New Chesterfield

Description: To the nations of the World Assembly,

Applauding the intentions of World Assembly with creation of international laws of which member nations must abide by

Recognizing that these laws override national laws and may override rights given to peoples of a nation by a constitution, as stated in Article 11 of GA Resolution #2, which states, "Every WA Member State has the duty to conduct its relations with other NationStates in accordance with international law and with the principle that the sovereignty of each WA Member State is subject to the supremacy of international law."

Fears that the effectiveness of nation's sovereign laws are diminishing in a negative way.

Feeling that every countries laws and rights should be held above international resolutions.

Emphasizes the harm this may bring to developing nations that wish to participate with the international community.

Wishes to state that a WA State does not have to abide by a resolution if said resolution interferes with a national law or right already in place.

Hereby request that the National Empowerment Treaty is Enacted.

:palm: umm... yeah ... ok ... WA resolutions ain't optional.

Not Ta'veren

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:46 am

Category: Furtherment of Democracy | Strength: Strong | Proposed by: New Chesterfield

Applauding the intentions of World Assembly with creation of international laws of which member nations must abide by

Recognizing that these laws override national laws and may override rights given to peoples of a nation by a constitution, as stated in Article 11 of GA Resolution #2, which states, "Every WA Member State has the duty to conduct its relations with other NationStates in accordance with international law and with the principle that the sovereignty of each WA Member State is subject to the supremacy of international law."

Fears that the effectiveness of nation's sovereign laws are diminishing in a negative way.

Feeling that every countries laws and rights should be held above international resolutions.

Emphasizes the harm this may bring to developing nations that wish to participate with the international community.

Wishes to state that a WA State does not have to abide by a resolution if said resolution interferes with a national law or right already in place.

House of Cards
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:34 am

Grays Harbor wrote:

Category: Furtherment of Democracy

Proposed by: New Chesterfield

:palm: umm... yeah ... ok ... WA resolutions ain't optional.

Individuality-ness wrote:House of Cards

And also no arguments except for NatSov, and the fact that allowing nations to start opting out of passed resolutions whose text says that they're binding would effectively be amending all of those resolutions...

(Edited to fix a typo.)
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:54 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:

Category: Furtherment of Democracy | Strength: Strong | Proposed by: New Chesterfield

House of Cards

I get really irritated at people who selectively quote GAR #2. They get as far as Article 2 and somehow stop reading before they get to Articles 9 and 11. It's ALL the law, folks, not just the parts you like.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:48 pm

International Sufferage Act

Category: Furtherment of Democracy | Strength: Strong | Proposed by: Timoskanavia

Description: This act will push to make sufferage an internationally guaranteed right . Voting to chose representation or to pass laws should be allowed in all civilized forms of government already. This act is similar to the United States Bill of Rights. The constitutions of each of the states already in some form guaratees rights such as the right to vote, but the bill of rights had to be written into the constitution to solidify that fact. The International Sufferage act does that for the right to vote on an even larger scale.

RL references, and I don't know whether this is an ideological ban.

Edit: ooh, another one!
Ban or Warn Harmful Nations?
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights | Strength: Strong | Proposed by: Angelsey

Description: This Bill Also proposes we do something with both: Raiders and Nazi Factions.

A raider is someone who kicks over nations out of a region. This shouldn't be allowed. A nation should have full right to any non-password regions. If you don't want people that you don't know in your region, then make a password. On the other hand, Nazi Nations are very racist. Even if they have the right to speak freely, what about the people they abuse? Do they not have a right to have free speech? Nazi Nations should also be warned about their use of language.

In a nutshell, here's what this bill proposes:

(I) Ban all raider nations if they have raided more than once. A warn will be given if they have done it once.

(II) Warn all Nazi related nations to mind their language to other people. If they ignore these warnings, bans should be given out.

Thank you for reading.

Game mechanics.
Last edited by Individuality-ness on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

RB Rebecca Black
Envoy

Founded: Sep 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby RB Rebecca Black » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:35 pm

Mandatory minimum healthcare
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights

Proposed by: Epic jewish republic of the advanced

Description: WHEREAS this resolution will strengthen social justice among all members of the World Assembly by requiring that all nations, current and future within the WA, have a basic healthcare plan to support and insure its citizens. Basic healthcare is not a luxury, but rather it is a moral imperative that should be incorporated into WA admissions and acceptance ratings/standards.
The following resolution requires that all WA nations meet the below four-point plan of providing healthcare to its citizens through all outlets available within their government, as long as the methods of providing the four-point plan are met without violating international, national and/or local law.
The four-point plan is as follows:
1) All families who are at or below the “poverty level” of US$5,005.50 per adult, and US$4,205.50 per child, must be covered by healthcare insurance, as long as one member of the family, age 22 or older, is employed.
2) All children, age 21 and younger, must be covered by healthcare insurance and be reimbursed up to at least 55%.
3) All seniors, age 67 and older, must be covered by healthcare and prescription drug insurance/coverage and be reimbursed up to at least 65% for healthcare matters, while up to at least 50% for required prescription drugs.
4) All people, ages 21 to 66, must be offered healthcare insurance and be reimbursed up to at least 30%. In addition, if the insured, in this category, has been employed for at least 240 days in the given year, they must be reimbursed by an additional 5%.
(*Note: Monetary figures were shown in US$ as a general currency; it must be converted accordingly and appropriately based on conversion rates.)
Though this is not a full strength plan, it is a necessary start, and a reasonable start, in order to be able to be achievable by all decent nations. Basic healthcare is a necessity, and the The Democratic States of Epic jewish republic of the advanced encourage all nations to pass even larger, more inclusive healthcare packages within their own nation.
The exceptions to this resolution include:
1) A WA nation determined to be “at war” by the WA, is exempted from continuing the program, but must have a backup program/plan approved by the WA.
2) A nation whose economic situation is detrimental may plea to the WA for a reduced strength “Required Basic Healthcare” resolution. However, should the WA at any time deem a WA nation’s economy stable enough to support the full strength resolution, it must be implemented under order from the WA.
After this resolution’s passage, it must be instituted within three (3) weeks, otherwise guilty nation will face WA ejection, or plea one’s case for additional time, that cannot be in excess of an additional thirty(30) days, to be granted only by and through the WA.

Poorly written, loaded with bureaucracy, and extreme micromanagement. Also, aren't RL references banned? This uses the U.S. Dollar.
Political compass:
Economic Left/Right: 1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.62

‎"If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?"

- Frederic Bastiat

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Yeah, that whole mess is just jam packed with 'fail'.

Not Ta'veren

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Eireann Fae wrote:I think NAPA is the resolution with the most (poorly) attempted repeals since I've started playing. Apparently it's not the most popular resolution with the noobies :)

I guess they figure that since they are trying to repeal "n00ks" it will be a popular repeal. They are wrong.

It would be a sad day that any repeal could hit the floor. Even sadder if it were to pass.

Flib though has his replacement now allowing usage of nukes ready if that were to happen, yes?

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:57 am

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:I guess they figure that since they are trying to repeal "n00ks" it will be a popular repeal. They are wrong.

It would be a sad day that any repeal could hit the floor. Even sadder if it were to pass.

Flib though has his replacement now allowing usage of nukes ready if that were to happen, yes?

Somewhere, I have to remember where I saved the file. I may actually have to dig it out since that repeal is getting dangerously close to quorum.
Last edited by Flibbleites on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:04 am

Flibbleites wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:It would be a sad day that any repeal could hit the floor. Even sadder if it were to pass.

Somewhere, I have to remember where I saved the file. I may actually have to dig it out since that repeal is getting dangerously close to quorum.

I directed a small anti-approval TG, but I'm not sure it was enough.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

Ahntong
Attaché

Founded: Sep 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ahntong » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:25 am

I don't really object to nukes (nor to using them, if necessary). I just think that having a resolution on the books which is as thin in content as this one is rather unnecessary. I mean, it sort of states the obvious. We have a right to own nukes. Who disputed that?

I wouldn't necessarily object to a replacement resolution if it was thicker in content, though.

And, yes. It's rather convenient for noobs to try a repeal, for two reasons: (1) It's rather old and short, and hence you don't have to read too far into WA legislation. (2) It doesn't take much effort to put together a repeal. :p

Now make fun of me.

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:46 am

Ahntong wrote:I don't really object to nukes (nor to using them, if necessary). I just think that having a resolution on the books which is as thin in content as this one is rather unnecessary. I mean, it sort of states the obvious. We have a right to own nukes. Who disputed that?

I wouldn't necessarily object to a replacement resolution if it was thicker in content, though.

And, yes. It's rather convenient for noobs to try a repeal, for two reasons: (1) It's rather old and short, and hence you don't have to read too far into WA legislation. (2) It doesn't take much effort to put together a repeal. :p

Now make fun of me.

It's been a long standing viewpoint of many WA nations that since nukes are bad, we should ban them in the WA(Flibs resolution is meant to keep nations from passing a resolution banning them in the WA). The argument fails to take into account the simple fact that non-WA nations will continue to have nukes even if we don't.

If this gets repealed and not replaced with another blocker, I give it a month before we see a nuke ban on the books.

Also, don't you have a thread we could discuss this in?
Last edited by The Dourian Embassy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

Ahntong
Attaché

Founded: Sep 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ahntong » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:56 am

No. I'm a noob. I broke all the rules. :p

On a more serious note, I can see those worries, although I lack the experience with WA opinion tendencies to know how well-founded they are. In general, if people really want and need a resolution of this type, I'd be happier with a more comprehensive one that contains detailed provisions as to production, ownership, storage and/or conditions of use for such weapons. Maybe we should open a separate thread and write something up.

That is, if the repeal should actually hit the floor and pass. If it doesn't, there's no need.

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:59 am

Considering how much trouble I've had just passing a partial ban on using nuclear weapons, I'm not convinced that a WA Nuclear Weapons Ban is on the horizon. That said, I too, was not around for the circumstances that lead to NAPA in the first place.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:14 am

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:Considering how much trouble I've had just passing a partial ban on using nuclear weapons, I'm not convinced that a WA Nuclear Weapons Ban is on the horizon. That said, I too, was not around for the circumstances that lead to NAPA in the first place.

The first incarnation was in the old UN. See here for more information.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Free Emmision Resolution
A resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce.

Category: Free Trade
Strength: Significant

Proposed by: South American Republics

Description: KNOWING That many WA member nations have economies that are based on mass manufacturing, which emit high levels of carbon dioxide into the air.

REALIZING That for many WA mamber nations, the economy is a higher priority than the environmental health.

HENCEFORTH All nations of the World Assembly have the freedom to emit carbon dioxide without foriegn intervention. No future World Assembly Resolution can restrict the amount of pollution a nation creates, only local laws can have this power.

The World Assembly will not have the power to restrict CO2 emisions in member nations.

Appears to be little more than a blocker without real substance.

Not Ta'veren

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:34 pm

The Evidence Requirement Act
A resolution to restrict political freedoms in the interest of law and order.

Category: Political Stability

Proposed by: Vendettium

Description: This act would ensure that all proposals admitted to the Security Council must contain evidence detailing the accused party's crimes.

Without such evidence provided with an accusation, the accused party is therefore "innocent till proven guilty".
If an accusation is made, the accused nation/region must be invited to participate in and construct a reasonable defense. If the invitation of an unbiased defense is revoked by the accused party, then the vote will be based upon evidence given by those instigating the accusation and a verdict reached by all member nations.

Authored by: The Republic of Neath of the Region Eura

So much fail in this one. First, the GA has nothing to do with the SC. Second, this is meta-gaming, trying to force actions on nations gameplay. Third, Branding. Fourth, just bloody stupid
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not Ta'veren

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:31 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:It would be a sad day that any repeal could hit the floor. Even sadder if it were to pass.

Hurry. It needs three more approvals and there's only 15 hours left.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:14 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Flibbleites wrote:Somewhere, I have to remember where I saved the file. I may actually have to dig it out since that repeal is getting dangerously close to quorum.

Hurry. It needs three more approvals and there's only 15 hours left.

Even if it reaches quorum, I'll still have four days while the repeal is at vote (and hopefully it will fail). And even then I still can't submit it until I get another endorsement.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Hurry. It needs three more approvals and there's only 15 hours left.

Even if it reaches quorum, I'll still have four days while the repeal is at vote (and hopefully it will fail). And even then I still can't submit it until I get another endorsement.

I'm sure we have enough people around here with a moveable WA nation that could make sure you have enough endos to submit.

*begins plotting*
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:37 am

Mousebumples wrote:
Flibbleites wrote:Even if it reaches quorum, I'll still have four days while the repeal is at vote (and hopefully it will fail). And even then I still can't submit it until I get another endorsement.

I'm sure we have enough people around here with a moveable WA nation that could make sure you have enough endos to submit.

*begins plotting*

Actually, I've already had an offer made already. And boy is this becoming a nail biter, it only needs to get two approvals in the next 2 1/2 hours for quorum. :eek:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives