NATION

PASSWORD

Silly and/or Illegal GA Proposals. zOMG!

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:01 pm

"NatSov arguments" apply to repeals, not standard proposals, but whatever. Branding, breaking the fourth wall, attempting to ban future types of legislation, attempting to repeal all past legislation, and I don't even know how this applies to "moral decency." I suppose moral decency is one area this proposal may apply to, but what exactly is the category for a resolution saying, "The WA sucks! All these laws are a violation of my sovereign rights waah!!" Oh, right. The "resign" button. :roll:
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:"NatSov arguments" apply to repeals, not standard proposals, but whatever.
*snip*
but what exactly is the category for a resolution saying, "The WA sucks! All these laws are a violation of my sovereign rights waah!!" Oh, right. The "resign" button. :roll:

I don't think they meant "NatSov" as an illegality, just that, like you demonstrated, it's a pure cry for NatSov rights. :P
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Laeriland
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Laeriland » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:32 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:"NatSov arguments" apply to repeals, not standard proposals, but whatever. Branding, breaking the fourth wall, attempting to ban future types of legislation, attempting to repeal all past legislation, and I don't even know how this applies to "moral decency." I suppose moral decency is one area this proposal may apply to, but what exactly is the category for a resolution saying, "The WA sucks! All these laws are a violation of my sovereign rights waah!!" Oh, right. The "resign" button. :roll:

I know that, kenny, I was just raising the point that it makes a poor argument on it's own even when it is legal.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:24 am

GENERAL ASSEMBLY PROPOSAL
ID: kaeli_1403272555

Commend Kaeli

A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts.

Category: Education and Creativity | Area of Effect: Free Press | Proposed by: Kaeli

Description: Recognises that:
Since its recent conception Kaeli has developed quickly into a peaceful, diverse and democratic federal state.

It has seen widespread peace and growth since its ascension to the world assembly a number of weeks ago, and that her work within the WA and her region, is warrant of commendation in recognition of the promotion of peaceful and good natured intents of the World Assembly.

Its promotion of harmonious co-operation between states.

That Kaeli is a symbol of these WA principles.

In my unofficial opinion, this breaks the rules on category, branding, MetaGaming, and falls under the rubric of not worthy of the WA's consideration. Regardless, the WA can't commend individual nations.
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:30 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:In my unofficial opinion, this breaks the rules on category, branding, MetaGaming, and falls under the rubric of not worthy of the WA's consideration. Regardless, the WA can't commend individual nations.

While not illegal, it's fair to tag on breaking the unspoken yet horrific taboo of commending oneself. *whistles innocently*

Edit: formatting tags are hard on a phone...
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:01 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:In my unofficial opinion, this breaks the rules on category, branding, MetaGaming, and falls under the rubric of not worthy of the WA's consideration. Regardless, the WGA can't commend individual nations.

Interestingly the first stop for the state isn't actually "read the rules", but instead "where to put your proposal" since this is probably the first and only time I'm seeing a proposal actually going to the wrong Assembly -.-"
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:06 am

A similar thing sometimes happens when people submit repeals using a category, rather than the repeal function itself.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:17 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:A similar thing sometimes happens when people submit repeals using a category, rather than the repeal function itself.

Well that happens, but at least everything happens within the GA... :p

OOC: On the other hand, some people are responsible in causing an inferno cross-assembly!
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:12 am

[redacted]
Last edited by District XIV on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:54 pm

District XIV wrote:
ID: kaeli_1403272555

Commend Kaeli
A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts.

Category: Education and Creativity

Area of Effect: Free Press

Proposed by: Kaeli

Description: Recognises that:
Since its recent conception Kaeli has developed quickly into a peaceful, diverse and democratic federal state.

It has seen widespread peace and growth since its ascension to the world assembly a number of weeks ago, and that her work within the WA and her region, is warrant of commendation in recognition of the promotion of peaceful and good natured intents of the World Assembly.

Its promotion of harmonious co-operation between states.

That Kaeli is a symbol of these WA principles.

Approvals: 2 (Free Law, Devonshire of the UK)

Voting Ends: in 2 days 21 hours

Wrong council, self-commendation, wrong category, no operative clause.

viewtopic.php?p=20596084#p20596084

Please, read the thread before double posting the same draft.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:27 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:While not illegal, it's fair to tag on breaking the unspoken yet horrific taboo of commending oneself.

It's illegal for being submitted in GA rather than the SC circus.

Elke and Elba wrote:Please, read the thread before double posting the same draft.

It was worth posting twice for being so bad - trying to bring the SC fluff into GA. :P
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Lexicor
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lexicor » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Saicosia wrote:
ID: lexicor_1402512548

Repeal "Freedom of Marriage Act"
A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.

Category: Repeal

Resolution: GA#15

Proposed by: Lexicor

Description: WA General Assembly Resolution #15: Freedom of Marriage Act (Category: Human Rights; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: regardless of the incredibly divisive nature of the issue of marriage and in particular same-sex marriage any law which impinges directly on a nation's sovereignty of governance must not be allowed to stand in the World Assembly.

As outlined in GA Resolution #2, Section I, Article 2

“Every WA Member State has the right to exercise jurisdiction over its territory and over all persons and things therein, subject to the immunities recognized by international law.”

By this standard, mandating the introduction of legislation of any sort by the World Assembly within the internal borders of any given state is a clear violation of national sovereignty.

Furthermore the “Freedom of Marriage Act” fails to address non-traditional forms of marriage that may be held as custom by certain member states. Indeed the resolution in Article 1a explicitly only addresses the union of two persons.

“This resolution applies to civil contracts regulating the union of two persons and its effects on the common estate and inheritance rights of the participants.”

Even if the World Assembly allows the continual violation of national sovereignty to occur the Freedom of Marriage Act must not be allowed to stand because it is by its very nature discriminating against and failing to address polygamous marriages, which are held in high esteem in many nations. By only addressing the union of two persons this bill alienates a whole spectrum of other arrangements. If two people shall be able to express
their love why cannot 4? Or 5?

Whether you support marriage in its traditional form, or its extension to minorities or oppose it, every nation can unite under the principles that this World Assembly is founded upon and defend in whole and not just in part the sacred National Sovereignty of all.
Approvals: 1 (Shahak)

Voting Ends: in 3 days 7 hours

NatSov, with some extra NatSov and a dash of NatSov as well. Also, no operative clause.

It is, however, a very interesting spin on your traditional FMA repeal.

I remember writing this when I joined nation states and did not read the rules at all! :)
"The less one knows about the Civil War the more likely one is to think the North fought to free the slaves."
"As hours worked by an individual approaches zero, the probability of engagement in political activism approaches one."
"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of the mention of inter-sectional group identities approaches one."

New Mushroom Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby New Mushroom Kingdom » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:35 pm

http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vie ... 1403656164
Blogposal, Wrong chamber, Category, No operative clause. Anything else?
Last edited by New Mushroom Kingdom on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.

Embassy Request Thread NS section of my wiki-thing Questions?
DEFCON 5. Never forget Z-Day. 1/4/13. 'Corporate Police State' fits just as well as the actual WA category.
There are no magic mushrooms in this nation. Seriously.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:42 pm

New Mushroom Kingdom wrote:http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_view_proposal/id=orctova_1403656164
Blogposal, Wrong chamber, Category, No operative clause. Anything else?

Well, the whole "SC proposal submitted as GA one" is pretty much all that's needed to know, since with that there's no way it could be legal. (And you forgot metagaming for the gameside regions and delegates.)

Oh, and it's nice to post the proposal text, so here:
Condemnation of Bootsieland

A resolution to restrict civil freedoms in the interest of moral decency.

Category: Moral Decency

Strength: Significant

Proposed by: Orctova

Description: Delegates of the World Assembly,
I brought this up to condemn a fellow nation. The Armed Republic of Bootsieland is a new member of nationstates, yet he intruded upon my home region, cool region, and proceeded to make racist and hurtful remarks upon my character, and, another nation in my region who shall go unnamed for privacy. Bootsieland then lobbying the unnamed region and Poughkeepsika for endorsements, so he could be WA delegate for the region. Note that he is not in the World Assembly, I am bringing this up to warn other regions of Bootsieland. Bootsieland is an illogical, racist bully, who needs to be condemned. I am ashamed that such a person exists in the world. Thank you.

Approvals: 2 (Orctova, KebabKebabKebabKebab)

Voting Ends: in 3 days 3 hours
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:12 am

What's with the recent glut of silly SC condemnation masquerades?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:09 am

Elke and Elba wrote:What's with the recent glut of silly SC condemnation masquerades?

Newbies not bothering to read the rules?

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:29 am

Araraukar wrote:
Elke and Elba wrote:What's with the recent glut of silly SC condemnation masquerades?

Newbies not bothering to read the rules?

Unless it's a lot of newbies, I doubt it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:57 am

Damanucus wrote:Unless it's a lot of newbies, I doubt it.

It's summer. That generally does mean a lot of newbies.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:07 am

LGBT Rights
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Strong
Proposed by: Sam R

Description: We should have LGBT rights because it would improve political and human freedom. We, the leaders of our nation, should not be allowed to decided whom our people marry. They should also be able to be themselves with out harming others. Major celebrities such as Lady Gaga have spoken about being yourself such as her song Born This
Way. I believe a law should be passed allowing LGBT rights because it is important to give people this political freedom.

Approvals: 0

Voting Ends: in 3 days

Blogposal, no operative clause (and would be duplication if it did have one), RL references, written as individual (rather than the GA's collective) opinion...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:30 am

Bears Armed wrote:
LGBT Rights

Description: We should have LGBT rights because it would improve political and human freedom. We, the leaders of our nation, should not be allowed to decided whom our people marry. They should also be able to be themselves with out harming others. Major celebrities such as Lady Gaga have spoken about being yourself such as her song Born This
Way. I believe a law should be passed allowing LGBT rights because it is important to give people this political freedom.

Blogposal, no operative clause (and would be duplication if it did have one), RL references, written as individual (rather than the GA's collective) opinion...

Plus, anything that uses "Lady GaGa" as a reference and source really requires burning.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Lescura
Lobbyist

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lescura » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:36 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:
LGBT Rights

Plus, anything that uses "Lady GaGa" as a reference and source really requires burning.

Vote that the WA have spectacular yearly burnings of all illegal proposals!
SCR #155 "Repeal Liberate Coalition of Freedom

Pro: Egalitarianism, Libertarianism, Socrates, Secularism, Polycentric Law, Laissez Faire Capitalism
Neutral: Democracy, Abortions, UN, Objectivism,
Anti: Totalitarianism [All forms], Materialism, Progessivism, Nationalism, Feminism, Interventionism

I am an aspiring author, amateur psychologist with a passion for economics, political science and a love for all things interesting.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:44 pm

Make us world leaders rich!

A resolution to restrict political freedoms in the interest of law and order.

Category: Political Stability

Proposed by: Scottalot

Description: I, The Generous And Honest Dan The Supreme Leader Of The All-mighty Nation Of Scottalot, propose a ban on political freedoms so that us, the world leaders, can become more powerful.

Without political freedoms we cannot be voted out of office and our opinions can never be questioned.

Glory To Earth!

All Hail Scott!

Oh good lord, where do I begin.

Branding
Metagaming
RL reference
Ideological Ban

anything else?
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Lexicor
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lexicor » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Lacks an Operative Clause
Blogsposal(?)
1st Person instead of collective WA opinion.
"The less one knows about the Civil War the more likely one is to think the North fought to free the slaves."
"As hours worked by an individual approaches zero, the probability of engagement in political activism approaches one."
"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of the mention of inter-sectional group identities approaches one."

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:04 pm

Lescura wrote:Vote that the WA have spectacular yearly burnings of all illegal proposals!

You're new here. The bonfires are daily. We use the Eternal Flame Memorial in the courtyard. Come around sunset. Bring marshmallows.

Lexicor
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lexicor » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:06 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Lescura wrote:Vote that the WA have spectacular yearly burnings of all illegal proposals!

You're new here. The bonfires are daily. We use the Eternal Flame Memorial in the courtyard. Come around sunset. Bring marshmallows.

I'll bring cookies! :D

*if ya get what im sayin ;) *

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives