NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] - Consular protection arrangements

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Capitalizt

[PASSED] - Consular protection arrangements

Postby Simone Republic » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:17 am

This is a clean-up of the defeated "Consular Protection Protocols" proposal which had unforced drafting errors which were not spotted earlier.

The original proposal and debate is here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=527898

Major changes from the last draft:

1. There is no longer an exclusion for refugees (originally the intention was to exclude anyone who seeks asylum elsewhere from then seeking assistance from their home state, but the drafting ended up covering all refugees and not just asylum seekers) - I am prepared to accept the argument that removal of the entire clause makes sense since any WA state where people need to flee from is unlikely to be in a position to offer (or want to offer) much assistance anyway;
  2. Dual citizens of a host state and a home state (as defined in the resolution) are no longer excluded - the host state is compelled to entertain the home state. Previously the host state was exempt and in effect permitted to assert jurisdiction if it does not recognize dual citizenship (this is also in "dual citizenship arrangements" which passed in GA#695). There's also a removal on "nationals etc" because of #695 plus previous resolutions on reducing statelessness.
  3. There is no longer any mention of medical assistance as it made the resolution look like a government-run travel insurance/emergency medical evacuation service scheme.

For simplicity reasons, the state where the citizen is from is called "home" and the state where the citizen is seeking help is called "host". This carries from GA#164. Note that the "home state" is required to offer assistance where possible if it is a "home state", but the "host state" does not have to be a WA state (ie if the host state is a non-WA state and decides that it does not want to help, we can't enforce anything). However, the "host state" cannot impede a home state from offering assistance if the "host state" is a WA state.

The line "seek the repatriation of citizen(s) to serve their sentences in the home state rather than in the host state" has been removed given this has been separated into a new resolution, here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=541573

GA#164 will still be repealed if this resolution passes on the grounds of redundancy.

Category: civil rights/mild (GA164 was human rights/mild)

Submitted version
The World Assembly (WA);

Noting that travelers abroad may sometimes need assistance due to unforeseen circumstances;

Desiring better assistance that may be offered to them by their home states;

Hereby:

1. Defines:
    1. Citizen(s) to mean individual(s) holding valid citizenship in a home state;
    2. Home state to mean the WA state where the citizen has citizenship;
    3. Host state to mean the state where the home state's citizen is located at the time assistance is sought;
    4. Mission to mean a diplomatic mission of a WA state and mission staff to mean accredited representatives of that state;
    5. State to mean any state and WA state to mean a member of the WA;
    6. WACC to mean the WA Compliance Commission;
  2. Requires a home state, if it receives a request from a citizen, to offer assistance on the following:
    1. Any adoptions of children from the host state, and for migration, subject to extant resolutions;
    2. Issuing any identity documents needed from time to time, such as emergency passports;
    3. Any repatriations in an emergency if a citizen lacks the means to do so, including:
      1. Issuing temporary travel documents and assist in exiting the host state, if required;
      2. Arranging for transit to return to the home state, if needed;
      3. Repatriating a citizen to the home state if that citizen dies in the host state, if a prior wish for repatriation had been expressed or at the request of the deceased's next of kin;
  3. Requires a home state, if a citizen is accused of a criminal offence in the host state, to offer assistance on the following matters:
    1. Provide guidance on the legal process of the host state;
    2. Arrange for competent legal advice or representation for the citizen, if such services are not provided by the host state;
    3. Attend the judicial proceedings of the citizen to the maximum extent permitted;
    4. Assist in providing mental health, translation and interpreting services, if such services are not provided by the host state;
    5. Provide reasonable financial assistance for legal and other expenses if the home state deems fit;
    6. From time to time (and with reasonable frequency, if requested by the citizen) have its mission staff meet with the citizen in a setting with sufficient levels of privacy, in order to offer or to render support;
  4. Requires a home state to promptly offer assistance on the following matters, in addition to the assistance offered in clause 4, if a citizen of the home state is detained by the authorities of the host state, or is convicted of a criminal offence and incarcerated in the host state;
    1. Provide guidance on means for appeal(s) or seek other judicial relief;
    2. Facilitate visits by family members of the citizens to the host state to visit the detained citizen;
    3. Increased mental, visitation and other support to and for the citizen as the mission deems fit;
  5. Requires a home state, if it has no mission(s) in a host state, to:
    1. Request the help of another WA state ("assisting state") that has a mission in the host state in offering the said assistance and any other assistance it may request;
    2. Require that the assisting state not decline such request(s) from the home state making such request(s), so long as:
      1. The home state fully indemnifies the assisting state for all the costs incurred; and
      2. The assisting state deems itself capable of offering such assistance;
  6. Requires a home state:
    1. Not to revoke citizenship on its own citizens on the grounds of the said citizen seeking assistance under this resolution;
    2. Make all offers of assistance promptly and to the fullest extent possible, given its own capabilities;
  7. Requires the host state, if it is a WA state, to:
    1. Fully cooperate with the home state(s) in the rendering of all assistance as defined in this resolution;
    2. Not entice or coerce someone to not seek assistance from their home state;
    3. Not object to the citizen that is both a citizen of the host state and the home state to request assistance from a home state, or the home state to render assistance to the citizen, subject to extant resolutions;
  8. Clarifies:
    1. This resolution does not regulate whether a home state decides to extend consular protection to residents of that state that are not citizens of that state;
    2. A citizen may voluntarily decline any assistance offered for any reason if so desired;
    3. In case of disputes between WA states over this resolution, WACC shall have jurisdiction on a de novo basis.

Char count: 4,973
Last edited by Sedgistan on Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:01 am, edited 46 times in total.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalizt

Postby Simone Republic » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:25 am

Reserved for future drafts
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby The Ice States » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:04 pm

"As my, uh, predecessor mentioned before, Sections 4 and 5 are colourably nugatory due to the lack of a subject. Changing "to" to "that the home state" in the introductions of both clauses -- assuming you want them to apply to home states -- should resolve that issue."

~Robert Desak,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Eternal Union of Devonia and the Ice States.
Last edited by The Ice States on Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

Sea Dome
Envoy

Founded: Dec 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Sea Dome » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:27 pm

removal of the entire clause makes sense
This is true for a couple of reasons
1. what you said
2. if they CAN provide aid later, imagine that's because the humanitarian crisis so enraged people that they forced a revolutionary government into place that is now constitutionally required to house and feed the survivors. it's probably not your intent to put legal burdens on those survivors. hopefully they have been helped by one generous Member Nation and now their home country has turned into another one
3. just in general, legislating which people in a legally defined Bad Situation are worthy and which aren't is often a waste of time and money. if there's any fraud concern, legislate that (if it's appropriate to the GA at any rate) but just generally having laws against defrauding the government should work fine without raising more trouble than it's worth, presumably
Sea Dome genesis; new RP. 4 nations unified, all issues either devolved to one or legislated/enforced by Supermassive Sea Dome Anarchists pardoned for many crimes against citizens of Corporate City One, Corporate City Trade Zone, SD ComIntern, and in contempt of SPL governance.
Anarchist Elected Chief of Foreign Affairs, Robtelon, represents the interests of the entire dome. PFMSDCM can no longer influence the vote directly.
* hosted IGCL 1-3
* 1st @ Union Isle Medieval Arts Cup (9G 4S 9B)
* 2nd * Beach Cup VIII
* hosted & placed 3rd at A Gaelic Football Invitational
* hosted Roller Hockey Internationale
Tri: SEA. Dem: Matrian, Corporate, TZN or Communist.
ARROSIA

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalizt

Postby Simone Republic » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:08 pm

Sea Dome wrote:
removal of the entire clause makes sense
This is true for a couple of reasons
1. what you said
2. if they CAN provide aid later, imagine that's because the humanitarian crisis so enraged people that they forced a revolutionary government into place that is now constitutionally required to house and feed the survivors. it's probably not your intent to put legal burdens on those survivors. hopefully they have been helped by one generous Member Nation and now their home country has turned into another one
3. just in general, legislating which people in a legally defined Bad Situation are worthy and which aren't is often a waste of time and money. if there's any fraud concern, legislate that (if it's appropriate to the GA at any rate) but just generally having laws against defrauding the government should work fine without raising more trouble than it's worth, presumably

Point taken.

The Ice States wrote:"As my, uh, predecessor mentioned before, Sections 4 and 5 are colourably nugatory due to the lack of a subject. Changing "to" to "that the home state" in the introductions of both clauses -- assuming you want them to apply to home states -- should resolve that issue."

~Robert Desak,

I reworded the whole phrase. This was not one of my better drafts to start with and I need to re-draft some clauses, I think.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalizt

Postby Simone Republic » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:23 am

The Ice States wrote:"As my, uh, predecessor mentioned before, Sections 4 and 5 are colourably nugatory due to the lack of a subject. Changing "to" to "that the home state" in the introductions of both clauses -- assuming you want them to apply to home states -- should resolve that issue."

~Robert Desak,

I think I addressed everything you said about the last resolution

Bump

(IC)

If you feel hungry during your travels, try the latest range of meat* jerkies from Simone Republic!! Available at all major supermarkets across the multi-verse.

*Types of meat vary. Read the labels.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalizt

Postby Simone Republic » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:03 am

Draft 2 has been published with minor modifications for the fact that I have already submitted "dual citizenship arrangements".

4(b) of dual citizenship arrangements is deliberately quite weak but still imposes something, in the event this fails. The relevant clause in this case is 7(d).
Last edited by Simone Republic on Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby The Ice States » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:16 pm

"This updated draft seems to adequately address the issues with the previous versions. Accordingly, we affirm our support to the current draft."

~Robert Desak,
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalizt

Postby Simone Republic » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:58 pm

Bump and last call, now that "Dual Citizenship Arrangements" look likely to pass and removing some of the confusion from this resolution about dual citizens and consular assistance.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalizt

Postby Simone Republic » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:02 am

(IC)

Another bump on the World Assembly Official Bumper (still some remaining while stocks last) and last call.

Isabella van der Feltz
Attaché

Founded: Oct 01, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Isabella van der Feltz » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:57 pm

General Assembly Vote Recommendation

Part of the Information for WA Voters programme

Resolution at Vote: Consular Protection Arrangements
Vote Recommendation: For

Resolution Analysis

Overview
This resolution builds on General Assembly Resolution # 164 "Consular Rights" by considerably expanding the assistance that a citizen can request from their home state in the event they are stranded overseas, or in need of legal assistance, e.g. getting emergency travel documents issued, legal and translation assistance, mental health services. It further puts in place a mechanism for another World Assembly member nation to help out if the citizen's home state does not have a consular mission in that member nation, as well as requiring that member nation not impede any help offered.

Recommendation
We believe the resolution at vote fixes a number of flaws from a similar resolution by the same author back in June 2023 - namely, complaints that the then proposal excluded asylum seekers and refugees, and with complex insurance requirements, the author's previous proposal felt like an obnoxious advert for travel insurance. These flaws have been fixed in this proposal.

For the above reason, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote For the General Assembly Resolution At Vote, "Consular Protection Arrangements."

Join our discussion!

Sponsored by the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs of The North Pacific.

HI&RH Crown Princess Isabella van der Feltz
Trading Cards
New Gameplay and RP accounts, Discord: isabella_respublica
Authored SC#237, commended by SC#149, retired II Roleplay Mentor, etc.
WA Affairs Executive Deputy Minister in The North Pacific, Imperial Crown Princess of Ayra Cat Army, Lord in Gholgoth (2012), Map RPer in Greater Dienstad (2010-present), etc.
Lamoni wrote:*Is an antiquity nation* You're a 2010 newbie, Yohannes. :lol:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Dedicated to Yohannes ... eternal president of the NationStates RuneScape Endowment Fund.
Queen Yuno wrote:Yohannes is gifted a large package of dangerous wares and non-dangerous edibles(like TEP caek)
1. 25k Cards deck value
2. Commend Monavia
with NPA

The Rhoverica
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 13, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rhoverica » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:53 am

Support with Recommendations for "Consular Protection Arrangements" Resolution

As a World Assembly member, I am inclined to vote in favor of the "Consular Protection Arrangements" resolution, recognizing its significant potential to enhance global human and civil rights. However, I believe it requires certain refinements to fully realize its objectives. My suggestions for improvement are as follows:

1. Balancing Legal Assistance with Host State Jurisdiction:
    • Concern: Possible undermining of the judicial sovereignty of host states.
    • Suggestion: Amend to ensure respect for host state legal systems and clarify non-interference by legal assistance.
  2. Financial Implications for Smaller States:
    • Concern: Economic burden on smaller or less affluent member states.
    • Suggestion: Implement a tiered approach to obligations, considering economic capabilities, and establish a WA fund to aid smaller states.
  3. Definition and Privacy Concerns:
    • Concern: Vague definition of "sufficient levels of privacy."
    • Suggestion: Offer clearer definitions and establish minimum privacy standards for consular interactions.
  4. Potential for Exploitation:
    • Concern: Risk of exploitation by those involved in illegal activities.
    • Suggestion: Restrict assistance in cases with strong evidence of involvement in serious crimes, in coordination with the host state.
  5. Dual Citizenship Issues:
    • Concern: Challenges in cases involving dual citizens.
    • Suggestion: Provide explicit guidelines for dual citizens, ensuring respect for the laws and judicial processes of involved states.
  6. Scope of Consular Protection:
    • Concern: Exclusion of non-citizen residents from the resolution's scope.
    • Suggestion: Broaden the scope to cover long-term residents who have significant ties to the home state.

I am hopeful that with these proposed amendments, the resolution can be enhanced to effectively balance the rights of citizens abroad with the practical and legal considerations of member states.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:55 am

The Rhoverica wrote:Support with Recommendations for "Consular Protection Arrangements" Resolution

As a World Assembly member, I am inclined to vote in favor of the "Consular Protection Arrangements" resolution, recognizing its significant potential to enhance global human and civil rights. However, I believe it requires certain refinements to fully realize its objectives. My suggestions for improvement are as follows:

1. Balancing Legal Assistance with Host State Jurisdiction:
    • Concern: Possible undermining of the judicial sovereignty of host states.
    • Suggestion: Amend to ensure respect for host state legal systems and clarify non-interference by legal assistance.
  2. Financial Implications for Smaller States:
    • Concern: Economic burden on smaller or less affluent member states.
    • Suggestion: Implement a tiered approach to obligations, considering economic capabilities, and establish a WA fund to aid smaller states.
  3. Definition and Privacy Concerns:
    • Concern: Vague definition of "sufficient levels of privacy."
    • Suggestion: Offer clearer definitions and establish minimum privacy standards for consular interactions.
  4. Potential for Exploitation:
    • Concern: Risk of exploitation by those involved in illegal activities.
    • Suggestion: Restrict assistance in cases with strong evidence of involvement in serious crimes, in coordination with the host state.
  5. Dual Citizenship Issues:
    • Concern: Challenges in cases involving dual citizens.
    • Suggestion: Provide explicit guidelines for dual citizens, ensuring respect for the laws and judicial processes of involved states.
  6. Scope of Consular Protection:
    • Concern: Exclusion of non-citizen residents from the resolution's scope.
    • Suggestion: Broaden the scope to cover long-term residents who have significant ties to the home state.

I am hopeful that with these proposed amendments, the resolution can be enhanced to effectively balance the rights of citizens abroad with the practical and legal considerations of member states.

You're too late. Resolutions can't be changed once they're submitted, never mind at vote. Your only remedy is to write a pre-emptive repeal and replacement.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The Rhoverica
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 13, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rhoverica » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:23 am

Thank you for the reminder. I'm aware that resolutions can't be amended during the voting phase. My assumption was that this thread was for discussing the resolution's merits and potential areas for improvement.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:46 pm

Ambassador Fortier stands to speak. “On behalf of the Delegation of the People’s Republic of Kenmoria to the General Assembly, I am proud to support this proposal. It is absolutely vital for the interconnectedness of the international community that transnational travellers are able to be assisted during their excursions. This proposal imposes reasonable requirements both enforcing proper aid and requiring that this aid be properly given.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:08 pm

Consular protection Arrangements was passed 8,768 votes to 3,722.

(OOC: Congratulations, Simone. Also, I do not think that I have ever seen an at-vote thread with as little commentary as this. Consular protection arrangements do not seem to evoke much controversy.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives